Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
and by that i mean mod games

anyway

Someone released Postal for switch, if someone converts Warcraft 2 and Rollercoaster tycoon i'll die happy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Lord Frisk posted:

What am I looking at?

A person is using a weapon with impossible fire rate and (possibly) damage output, meaning he is actively cheating in-game. Sorry, I mean, he is "using Homebrew."

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Someone on Reddit claimed that Nintendo went through and banned all the people using unreleased/hacked weapons and octolings, though apparently people who only added chunks or legit gear to their save weren’t banned. Which I’m mostly ok with, there’s isn’t much you can do with chunks or legitimate weapons to give yourself a massive advantage. I guess if you hack your save to give all your gear the same trait like speeding up the special recharge time that might be a bit of an unfair advantage, but not a game-ruining one.

Flops
Mar 28, 2010

Look at all these lovely posts!

Nonviolent J posted:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/playing-loadiine-games-from-hdd-thanks-to-mocha-cfw.460774/

Basically it makes the Wii U think that the usb port is the sd card slot so it won't nag you that the usb device isn't formatted for the Wii U, so you can play games through Loadiine... and as it's just a regular HDD then you can have your Wii/Gamecube games on there too and load them through vWii or USB Loader GX forwarder etc

But if you have the Nintendont forwarder that lets you use the Wii U gamepad it won't work as being able to use gamepad controls on any vWii forwarder disables using any USB devices so it has to be on SD.

What's interesting is that it's a bug, they released a build of Mocha that was unfinished and had this problem but it's actually really useful

Only thing is do you have Haxchi or just Mocha? Because if you have just Mocha and replace it with this one then your sd card won't work because you'll be disabling it everytime you run it, so either get Haxchi or have both versions of Mocha

Sorry if I'm missing something, but I think I'm a little lost on how to modify my current setup to this configuration.

Basically, I have an SD card with the HBL, thumb drive formatted for Wii U games (not readable by PC through normal means), and a thumb drive with a USB loader for Wii/GC Backups. Only vWii is hacked, WiiU is normal.

Would the process be to transfer all the wii u games to the sd card, store them on the PC, then go through the process of modding the wii u for this functionality?

There's also this WiiVC Injection program, but it looks like I wouldn't need it with the loadline method.

Flops fucked around with this message at 21:12 on May 26, 2018

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
You have HBL on your sd card but your Wii U isn't hacked? if so to use it you'll have to hack it

Takes time and you'll have to buy a DS game, Brain Age is usually $7

Unfortunately you can't transfer Wii U games that you own from the system/usb to an sd card, that would get around them locking you out of the usb in the first place so you'll have to search for Wii U games in loadiine format (not WUP) and download those

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’m shocked Nintendo hasn’t fixed the eshop games used to hack the wii-u.

Or not fixed them and raised their price to $300

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I’m shocked Nintendo hasn’t fixed the eshop games used to hack the wii-u.

Or not fixed them and raised their price to $300

Nintendo doesn’t give a poo poo about anything Wii U related anymore. I’ll be shocked if online play and it’s eShop makes it past 2019.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm surprised the Wii eshop lasted 12 years.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Takoluka posted:

A person is using a weapon with impossible fire rate and (possibly) damage output, meaning he is actively cheating in-game. Sorry, I mean, he is "using Homebrew."

Hell yeah.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

So just to clarify, if I have a Wii U and no home brew channel, and I want to play game cube games on it I need to go hack it with brain age from the e shop somehow?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There were other wii games u could use to hack it also. I know I used LEGO Indiana Jones

Flops
Mar 28, 2010

Look at all these lovely posts!

Nonviolent J posted:

You have HBL on your sd card but your Wii U isn't hacked? if so to use it you'll have to hack it

Takes time and you'll have to buy a DS game, Brain Age is usually $7

Unfortunately you can't transfer Wii U games that you own from the system/usb to an sd card, that would get around them locking you out of the usb in the first place so you'll have to search for Wii U games in loadiine format (not WUP) and download those

Ah gotcha, that makes more sense. Thanks for the info!

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?

LionArcher posted:

So just to clarify, if I have a Wii U and no home brew channel, and I want to play game cube games on it I need to go hack it with brain age from the e shop somehow?

No, you can use Nintendont in the virtual Wii without hacking the Wii U side of things.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

If I buy a new New 2DS in Japan, is it hard to get past the region lock?

lunar detritus fucked around with this message at 02:55 on May 29, 2018

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?
It's not hard at all to play games from different regions, but there other region related things that are more difficult. I had to do a bit more work to get the the kupo nuts in Pictlogica Final Fantasy, for example.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The splatoon ruining has begun

Welll...

Nintendo starts banning Switch hackers from accessing online services posted:

Hacking and homebrew is becoming more of a prominent issue with Switch. As a result, Nintendo is now starting to take action.

When attempting to access online services on the console, users receive error code 2124-4007. Those who are affected are then told to give Nintendo support a call.

Those who are banned cannot access the eShop or online gameplay, interact with friends, or post. The news feed and updating apps still works.

Hope the homebrew is worth not being able to post your screenshots to twitter :ohdear:

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Welll...

Hope the homebrew is worth not being able to post your screenshots to twitter :ohdear:

The eShop ban is kind of a big deal though, the 3DS bans allowed that at the very least.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

gmq posted:

The eShop ban is kind of a big deal though, the 3DS bans allowed that at the very least.

Are they suggesting people could have downloaded unlicensed games right out of the Switch eShop with current hacks?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

dont be mean to me posted:

Are they suggesting people could have downloaded unlicensed games right out of the Switch eShop with current hacks?

There are some posts by people who have been trying. Apparently trying to access the CDN without whatever credentials the Switch has triggers an eshop ban.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
New update 5.1.0 today, disables the sd card if you're in custom firmware

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So is it better to stop updating now?

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Nonviolent J posted:

But I thought it was just a system stability update??

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
Stability for nintendo

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nonviolent J posted:

A modified build of Homebrew Loader is immune:

https://twitter.com/SciresM/status/1002062951434473473

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 14:29 on May 31, 2018

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

So like a lot of things it is a cat and mouse game to make sure the home brew stuff works with whatever firmware.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Are LumaUpdater and FBI dead? I'm getting an error when querying the github API on LumaUpdater and FBI won't load the titleDB.

Might just be my network, but I figured I'd ask. It worked fine when I last checked for Luma3DS updates (not too long after B9S came out and I switched over), but that was a while ago.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jun 1, 2018

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
I think github did a thing where you can no longer load from it or something like that

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Lemon-Lime posted:

Are LumaUpdater and FBI dead? I'm getting an error when querying the github API on LumaUpdater and FBI won't load the titleDB.

Might just be my network, but I figured I'd ask. It worked fine when I last checked for Luma3DS updates (not too long after B9S came out and I switched over), but that was a while ago.

You need to install new versions of the apps since github disabled TLS 1.1 support

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

havenwaters posted:

You need to install new versions of the apps since github disabled TLS 1.1 support

Aha, thanks - that explains the TLS error I was getting on FBI.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

looks like a test build of Atmosphere was released for 1.0.0-2.0.0.

https://github.com/thomleg50/Atmosphere-NX/releases

.....soon, goons. soon. :getin:

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
Everyone's saying not to test it but drat it i'm gonna

edit: doesnt work

Nonviolent J fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jun 2, 2018

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

The official GitHub repository for Atmosphere-NX is https://github.com/Atmosphere-NX/Atmosphere.

That some other person is distributing releases when the actual developers are not is a bit fishy.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
people just wanna be first, that's the downside of open source

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

So what is Atmosphere? CFW for homebrew + :filez:?

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
When you boot into it and have the homebrew launcher on your sd card the album application will load the homebrew launcher

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

Infinitum posted:

So what is Atmosphere? CFW for homebrew + :filez:?

yes

Nonviolent J posted:

When you boot into it and have the homebrew launcher on your sd card the album application will load the homebrew launcher

that's only a part of it

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
at the moment that's it

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Finally did the wiiu.guide thing and installed coldboot haxchi on my Wii U. Where do I go from here to get emulators and GameCube games up and running? To do gamecube and Wii games I'll have to hack + boot into the vWii? Will I need separate harddrives for that vs Wii U games? I have an old external that I had used on my hacked Wii ages ago.

Also I'm playing Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze again since I didn't want to rebuy the switch version. Do ripped games have better loadtimes?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Stan Taylor posted:

Also I'm playing Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze again since I didn't want to rebuy the switch version. Do ripped games have better loadtimes?

Yes, they do. Digital games have better load times than running from disc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat

Stan Taylor posted:

Finally did the wiiu.guide thing and installed coldboot haxchi on my Wii U. Where do I go from here to get emulators and GameCube games up and running? To do gamecube and Wii games I'll have to hack + boot into the vWii? Will I need separate harddrives for that vs Wii U games? I have an old external that I had used on my hacked Wii ages ago.

Easiest way to get emulators set up is to get them from here, each zip basically goes into sd:/wii u/apps

Then go into the Homebrew Launcher and they'll be in there

https://www.wiiubru.com/appstore/#/category/emulators

I posted a guide to get Gamecube games going a few pages back, you don't need to mod vWii for it