Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Found a great planet but it had filthy primitives on it.

I'm playing as Driven Assimilators. I overcompensated with 3 wardroids against their not-even gunpower ready renaissance species. And of course they became free labor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I joined my neighbor in a war they started. The enemy has been at 100% war exhaustion for a very long time. Now our own war exhaustion is at 76% and climbing higher and there's no sign of peace. It's a War of the Philosophies. Am I just hosed?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Have you gone into the war menu to see if they’ll surrender?

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Joining a war means you're stuck in it until the primary attacker and defender agree on peace terms. It'll happen immediately once both sides hit 100% but other than waiting for that all you can do is either try to completely win the war or intentionally suicide ships to tank your side's warscore.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
alright. it was really frustrating, we had them at 100% while we were at 40 or so. Nothing really happened other than my admirals gaining some experience for a long, long time.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

JohnLovely posted:

im jealous of this wondrous creature

in awe of the firepower of this lad

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Any way to fix this? I have the ascension perk

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Played my first Distant Stars game up to like 2400 or so, but I guess I'm restarting because there's not a single L-Gate anywhere near accessible to me. :argh:

Good update though, loving the cool new events and poo poo.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Opened my first L-gate. Just some nice resources behind it. I was hoping for more, I know there's some serious poo poo in there, but perhaps I should could my self lucky?

Been a slow game. Marauders never got a great khan, fallen empire never got woke :(

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Oh boy! An awakened empire I'm rivals with finally decided to declare war on me...while my entire fleet is halfway across the galaxy dealing with some fuckheads who cut off a bunch of my empire and then closed borders so I'm vassalizing them.

I understand requiring a lot to force vassalization, but it seems I need to take 100% of their territory and planets before they submit, which...seems a little much, even if it's forced submission to being a vassal, and with them being at 100% war exhaustion since the first few encounters. War exhaustion should cause some kind of ticking down of their acceptance of war demands once it hits 100%, instead of just being 100 points on the war decision tallies.

Baronjutter posted:

Opened my first L-gate. Just some nice resources behind it. I was hoping for more, I know there's some serious poo poo in there, but perhaps I should could my self lucky?

Been a slow game. Marauders never got a great khan, fallen empire never got woke :(
Well my friend opened one and got some cool stuff, and then he opened another one on the other half of the galaxy and it apparently wiped out a bunch of that side of the galaxy so yeah I would say you got lucky

edit: is there a way to see decadence in awakened fallen empires, or is it a totally invisible stat? These guys have been awakened for like a century now and still have multiple 100k fleets roaming around. They didn't start expanding for a while but seem to have geared up recently after declaring war on me.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 07:53 on May 26, 2018

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I did get my first Great Khan, at least. And he was right next to me too, so I bore the brunt of the onslaught. They managed to take three of my colonies while I was busy upgrading and building up my fleets, but once that was done, things started going sour for them in a hurry. Poor bastards didn't expect me to have jump drives that I yoinked from the Dimensional Horror pretty early on. I just kept jumping my whole navy on top of their lone fleets, ganking them one by one. Eventually I killed the Khan while he was desperately trying to bombard another colony of mine. Unexpectedly the remnants rallied into a single Successor Khanate, but unfortunately for them they were still holding two of my colonies so I promptly declared war on them and pushed their poo poo in. I was gonna vassalize them just as an insult, but didn't have any Supremacy traditions so meh.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

That's when you switch on unrestricted bombardment policy and go armageddon style on their asses.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I'm a little sad. I got the best fungus boy Nivlac, but didn't have any room on my homeworld for him, so decided to give him another planet. I figured, I had like four within my borders that I couldn't inhabit, he'd get one of those. Nope, we moved him to the nearest unsettled Gaia World... Which happened to be a Holy World of my neighboring Spiritualist FE. No more fungus boy. :(

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Dareon posted:

I'm a little sad. I got the best fungus boy Nivlac, but didn't have any room on my homeworld for him, so decided to give him another planet. I figured, I had like four within my borders that I couldn't inhabit, he'd get one of those. Nope, we moved him to the nearest unsettled Gaia World... Which happened to be a Holy World of my neighboring Spiritualist FE. No more fungus boy. :(

With me they settled on a little arctic world all tucked up nice in a side cluster completely surrounded by me.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

I wish they'd fix the bug that always makes one of your artillery computer ships fight close range. Or at least make your titan ramming itself straight through the Dimensional Horror a feature, and make it a finishing move :v:

I lose so many titans to their suicidal rush through the enemy systems, soaking up attacks from every single ship and base in the system.

AG3 fucked around with this message at 12:17 on May 26, 2018

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

Someone appears to have slapped wings and machine guns onto my pet space amoeba.

I'm sure it's a bug(no it's an amoeba!), but this is one bug I can fully support

edit: OH NO A BIG ROCK IS ABOUT TO HIT SOME PRIMITIVES, GO, BUBBLES, SAVE THEM!

They are people who are natural born slavers and slow breeders from a slaving despots empire. They're garbo. :colbert:

Perhaps you accidentally took a "More Dakka" decision when you weren't paying attention?

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
What's the best way to approach anomalies now? Always just research even if it takes a while or send science ships later with more skill?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Captain Invictus posted:

Someone appears to have slapped wings and machine guns onto my pet space amoeba.

I'm sure it's a bug(no it's an amoeba!), but this is one bug I can fully support

edit: OH NO A BIG ROCK IS ABOUT TO HIT SOME PRIMITIVES, GO, BUBBLES, SAVE THEM!

They are people who are natural born slavers and slow breeders from a slaving despots empire. They're garbo. :colbert:

I have the same issue only with an avian ship model (which is the model my species is using) sticking out of it.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
OK finally got to sit down and play. Picked up the humanoid species pack in the sale, started a wriggly headed humanoid games in a ring galaxy to see how these choke points fare in the worst case scenario.

I'm trapped between two other empires... but there's a wormhole and an L-Space gate in my territory. Looks like this is going to be interesting.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Hot Karl Marx posted:

What's the best way to approach anomalies now? Always just research even if it takes a while or send science ships later with more skill?

I always just research it unless the level disparity is huge and I have another scientist available who'd be better, or if it's a land-grab situation and having it surveyed is more important.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Early game I'll skip anomalies because getting knowledge on your immediate surroundings is vital for having a game plan, and it's not like the anomalies are going to expire. Midgame it'll be a tossup depending on where it is, how long it'll take, and what the description of it is (if it's something like Alien Barracks that gives Military Theory then it gets pushed to back of the queue for someone that isn't survey-specced if I'm trying to optimize). Late game I stop giving any fucks and research on the spot because I probably don't even know where the science ship is.

The early game is really the only area where time is important: you get maybe twice as many systems mapped in the same time frame, that lets you prioritize your expansion. It's not like you need another +2 energy right now in a system you're decades away from claiming.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Hot Karl Marx posted:

My personal cut-off point is about a year: If it takes longer to research, I'll leave it for later.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Libluini posted:

My personal cut-off point is about a year: If it takes longer to research, I'll leave it for later.

With the slow speed of travel I just always research it immediately now.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It really depends what your needs are at the moment, I prioritize surveying and capturing territory then fill in the anomalies later, but if you do that sooner or later than you expect you can always choose to put a scientist on anomaly research if needs be.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
in my game the nivlac spawned to my galactic north so i put up an outpost near them and did the steps to integrate them but then the marauders fairly close to them spawned the khan so i had to surrender to them to keep my precious babies alive :(

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I've only found them once so far and had I known I'd be spawning a race of sentient fungus I would have just had science team leave the planet alone. Fortunately there was no room for them at the time their project finished so instead they found a home on some inhospitable rock towards the edge of my empire. There they sat, forever under the watchful gaze of the Automated Dreadnought that I hadn't yet went after. Safe.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Weird sector bug. I can't add Riak to the sector without first adding Tunari Vortex to the sector which is a dead end and not connected.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

uPen posted:

Weird sector bug. I can't add Riak to the sector without first adding Tunari Vortex to the sector which is a dead end and not connected.

Sectors still run on the old proximity system instead of following connections.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Which, honestly, is fine, especially with the new hyperlane layout, it'd be super obnoxious trying to connect system to system instead of by proximity. This way I can have a cluster of locations that aren't necessarily directly connected be in the same sector.

Speaking of hyperlanes, we should be able to build our own as endgame tech. I assume hyperlanes are areas that are cleared of debris, no black holes, etc to get in the way of travel, maybe have some kind of colossal project to clear a path between stars. I'm sure the AI would have an aneurysm recalculating routes though.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Captain Invictus posted:

Which, honestly, is fine, especially with the new hyperlane layout, it'd be super obnoxious trying to connect system to system instead of by proximity. This way I can have a cluster of locations that aren't necessarily directly connected be in the same sector.

Speaking of hyperlanes, we should be able to build our own as endgame tech. I assume hyperlanes are areas that are cleared of debris, no black holes, etc to get in the way of travel, maybe have some kind of colossal project to clear a path between stars. I'm sure the AI would have an aneurysm recalculating routes though.

That's what gates are for, isn't it?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

There's a mod for that.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1317527025

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Jabarto posted:

That's what gates are for, isn't it?
Gates depending on your layout only go so far. Sometimes you want to connect two clusters that are right next to each other and have no gates nearby. It should be an actual feature in the game, though. You can build untold wonders, but can't better connect star systems? No sir, I don't believe it!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Yesterday I finished Space Amoeba Pacification, and just a couple in-game days later some pirates attacked a system where one of their swarms were chilling out. The amoebas immediately charged into battle, and the pirates got caught in a cross fire between the star port and the amoebas. The poor guys were absolutely massacred :allears:

I also found some weird space-time rift and chose to keep it under close surveillance.

It belched out tons of minerals and then closed, giving a small permanent bonus to physics for that location. Are there other outcomes? I kind of expected something dangerous to come through, but getting several thousand minerals this early in the game was neat, too. :shrug:

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Captain Invictus posted:

You can build untold wonders, but can't better connect star systems? No sir, I don't believe it!

Well, I mean mega-engineering is just normal engineering, but bigger. Building a new hyperlane is taking a giant shovel out to space and digging a new canal through the fabric of space-time.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
The irrassian homeworld is apparently in the galactic core.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Tomn posted:

Well, I mean mega-engineering is just normal engineering, but bigger. Building a new hyperlane is taking a giant shovel out to space and digging a new canal through the fabric of space-time.
Yeah! Build a megastructure that digs a path through space. Just a dyson sphere with a plow on the front.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You could do it as a ship type that you can perform something like a jump with but it makes a new hyperlane.

Zuul tunnel bores basically I guess but permanent and it consumes the ship.

Or maybe it makes a station at either end and you can blow them up to collapse the lane so they're only viable as back line things or for combat ambushes.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Annoyingly, you can't turn Nanite Planets into Machine planets directly, you have to drop by one of the regular planet types first. Doesn't take long, but adds more clicks that should not be clicks. I assume the same is true for terraforming to Gaia.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Two stations in adjacent systems that only connect to each other like tiny gateways would be a good solution, and also might make it easier to code for the AI to deal with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

Two stations in adjacent systems that only connect to each other like tiny gateways would be a good solution, and also might make it easier to code for the AI to deal with.

Can't the AI handle dynamic pathing? It has to for wormholes and gates.