Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

actionjackson posted:

Congratulations! How long has he been off the track? Looks like a while based on the low amount of ribs visible.

He is actually coming from a blood bank, not straight from the track. Universal donors!

More pictures to follow. 4 hours to go. The wait is killing me.

Edit: new page, have a Tess

rhoga fucked around with this message at 21:23 on May 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

I was scared to check the thread when I saw there were lots of new posts... but what good news! What a handsome and lucky boy, I hope he settles in right away.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Abby needs a dental and a few extractions. Typical greyhound stuff. I posted a picture of her recessed gums earlier in the thread.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
I am so so glad that whatever his other faults, Sparty at least seems to have dodged the bad greyhound teeth curse

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

aaaaaaaa

(introductory walk)

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

rhoga posted:

aaaaaaaa

(introductory walk)

Aww, what a good doggo! :3: Congrats

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
So if anyone was looking for a greyhound harness, this has been awesome, specifically the Quick Fit harness:

http://store.ezydog.com

Sparty is really good on a lead but when running he still pulled some, and his martingale was rubbing a bare spot on his neck. We got one of these and it’s completely solved the problem. It slips over his head and has a simple chest strap and buckle, so he doesn’t feel constrained, and it doesn’t put pressure on his neck or throat. Because it’s just two straps it’s easy to adjust and fits greyhounds’ weird proportions just fine

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

Tess is a little jealous that he is getting any attention. That's her attention, she should get all of it.

It's super blurry, but...

He smiles when he's excited! Which explains the blur. He gets really wiggly.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

rhoga posted:

Isn't this what killed Bill Paxton in Aliens?

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

rhoga posted:

Tess is a little jealous that he is getting any attention. That's her attention, she should get all of it.

That is adorable pout from Tess! :kimchi:

Pizza pillow best pillow

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.
*Walks in with clipboard*

Yes indeed, it appears we have some Very Good Dogs right here. Carry on.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

I'm glad they pass muster.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
I just love how Tazo is so calm most of the time, but just gets SO excited when it comes to going for a drive! :3:
(I mean, he's also excited when it comes to food and walks, but he's MUCH more excited for drives)

Which is why I can't use his 'driving harness' for walks, since he goes into some kind of heightened state of turbo-excitement whenever you so much as look at the damned thing! (Which is why it's now shut-away in the car boot when not in use, heh)
But yeah, after someone mentioned it earlier (DarkHorse? On mobile so I'm not gonna look back a page) I've been thinking that it might be a good idea, if I got a smaller harness that just goes around his shoulders, for use on walks. Since yeah, li'l Taz just can't resist pulling on the lead during walks. (Well, for the first 15min before he starts losing energy, anyway! :v: haha)

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

rhoga posted:

I'm glad they pass muster.

Those eeeeaaaarrrs :neckbeard:

Major Isoor posted:

I just love how Tazo is so calm most of the time, but just gets SO excited when it comes to going for a drive! :3:
(I mean, he's also excited when it comes to food and walks, but he's MUCH more excited for drives)

Which is why I can't use his 'driving harness' for walks, since he goes into some kind of heightened state of turbo-excitement whenever you so much as look at the damned thing! (Which is why it's now shut-away in the car boot when not in use, heh)
But yeah, after someone mentioned it earlier (DarkHorse? On mobile so I'm not gonna look back a page) I've been thinking that it might be a good idea, if I got a smaller harness that just goes around his shoulders, for use on walks. Since yeah, li'l Taz just can't resist pulling on the lead during walks. (Well, for the first 15min before he starts losing energy, anyway! :v: haha)

Yeah that was me. It’s a really lightweight and simple harness. It may not be great if your hound is prone to pulling since it doesn’t provide chest support, but it keeps pressure off the neck and puts it on the shoulders.

Sparty (and Cookie, let’s be honest) get super excited when the harness comes out because that means adventure

Tazo is a great lookin dog you got there. It would be a shame if... someone took more pictures of him :colbert:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

DarkHorse posted:

Yeah that was me. It’s a really lightweight and simple harness. It may not be great if your hound is prone to pulling since it doesn’t provide chest support, but it keeps pressure off the neck and puts it on the shoulders.

Sparty (and Cookie, let’s be honest) get super excited when the harness comes out because that means adventure

Yeah, that's the main reason I'm thinking about getting it. Since although it wouldn't provide the level of chest support that his current one offers, it'll at least stop him from applying pressure to his neck when we go for walks. (And although he doesn't currently have a fur-less spot on his neck, he used to ages ago, prior to me adopting him. And since then although it has been better, the fur around there is still pretty thin/short.)

haha and yeah, that seems to be the same thing for Taz - except in addition to getting excited when he sees his harness and/or lead, he also gets excited when he sees me get out my cap. :D (Since I only end up using it when I'm taking him on walks)

DarkHorse posted:

Tazo is a great lookin dog you got there. It would be a shame if... someone took more pictures of him :colbert:

Hah, guilty as charged! :blush: Unfortunately recently the only photo I've taken of him (well, aside from the one posted just before) is of him huddled/wrapped-up in bed, due to the practically arctic-like cold* he's subjected to. I can't help but feel sorry for him, when I'm going off to work in a warm car and he gets forced outside! :ohdear:

*Might not actually be anywhere near that bad, in reality. However this doesn't change the fact that HE thinks it's that bad.

EDIT: frostydog peering out from beneath his blanky

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 04:02 on May 22, 2018

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

TastyShrimpPlatter
Dec 18, 2006

It's me, I'm the
Need more longdog pictures

We've had our newest greyhound "Bush" for about 7 months now (He's the black one). We were originally going to adopt him more than a year ago, but the rescue mentioned he might not be good with kids and we ended up adopting Nacho instead. A full year went by and Bush still hadn't been adopted. We went back to the rescue and ended up fostering and quickly adopting him. He's pretty mellow, but we have had a couple instances where he's gone after Nacho and broke skin. I think it was mostly that he was still adjusting to things. We brought in a behaviorist just in case, and have been working on providing good experiences for each dog when they're around each other. So far it seems to be working.

Lately Bush has been hanging out with me while I practice archery in the backyard :3:

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

I just want everyone to know that every time this thread has a new post, I look at greyhound adoption sites.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

GoodBee posted:

I just want everyone to know that every time this thread has a new post, I look at greyhound adoption sites.

Hah, I'm always tempted too, despite already having one in the family! :D (Although I suspect li'l Tazo likes being an only-dog, so I'm not sure how he'd like it!)

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

GoodBee posted:

Why just look at, and not sign up for? :colbert:

I have some Sparty pictures but they look like all the others :(

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

DarkHorse posted:

I have some Sparty pictures but they look like all the others :(

And this is preventing you from posting them why? I love the Sparty pics. More boopable snoots please!

For content;

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

We call that teeth-out, folded front legs pose “the T-Rex” in our house :)

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

jesus WEP posted:

We call that teeth-out, folded front legs pose “the T-Rex” in our house :)

A very apt description! Here is Reese enjoying the beach, from a safe distance (he does not like the waves touching his feet but will jump in a pool at the dog park because hounds)

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

post your t-rexes

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

DarkHorse posted:

Oh, I will. I'm not ready to bring home a third dog today. I realize it might take a while for an adoption group to find the right match for us but it might not. I figure I shouldn't put in a application until I've got all my details worked out.

As a question for everyone, how long did it take between applying and placement? Did you contact more than one adoption group? How did you pick which one to go through? I'm in the US.

Did they do a home visit first? Did any of you have other dogs at the time? I'm worried my little turd 25lb terrier mix will be outrageously terrible right now and no one would want to place another dog with us. I got her through heartworm treatments and now I'm working on socialization but it's been slow.

I've also read that it's not unreasonable to request a certain color greyhound. Both my dogs are darker brindle colored females and maybe that's why my little turd likes my bigger dog? That may be an insane theory though. I haven't had a chance to test it.

And I've also got a pair of older cats. That complicates things.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
T-relaxin’

Also we saw some hounds in museums

GoodBee posted:

Oh, I will. I'm not ready to bring home a third dog today. I realize it might take a while for an adoption group to find the right match for us but it might not. I figure I shouldn't put in a application until I've got all my details worked out.

As a question for everyone, how long did it take between applying and placement? Did you contact more than one adoption group? How did you pick which one to go through? I'm in the US.

Did they do a home visit first? Did any of you have other dogs at the time? I'm worried my little turd 25lb terrier mix will be outrageously terrible right now and no one would want to place another dog with us. I got her through heartworm treatments and now I'm working on socialization but it's been slow.

I've also read that it's not unreasonable to request a certain color greyhound. Both my dogs are darker brindle colored females and maybe that's why my little turd likes my bigger dog? That may be an insane theory though. I haven't had a chance to test it.

And I've also got a pair of older cats. That complicates things.

I hope you didn’t think I was chastising you, of course you need to be responsible before adopting, it was just gentle ribbing because everyone deserves a long dog.

Requesting a color isn’t unreasonable, but ultimately you’ll get the dog that is the best fit. We wanted a brindle, but between wood floors, stairs, and a cat, we were best suited for a young dog that had little prey drive. It took about a month between application and starting placement, and then another month before everything was finalized.

The way ours did it was a home visit with a different greyhound just to be sure the stairs were navigable and there weren’t obvious warning signs. Then they brought over his stuff and left him for the weekend. After that went well they left him to us and did a check-in a few weeks later to make sure everyone settled in.

Small dogs and cats aren’t an instant deal breaker, they will have screened for which dogs are small pet and children safe.

Edit: more pics

Sleepy bub, it was a long day

Car ride back, you can kind of see the harness

Very tire

Reminisce

Dogfites.com

DarkHorse fucked around with this message at 01:01 on May 26, 2018

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

She loves snoozing on her back. She'll always start out curled up in a dignified way but usually before long, it's a deep-chested sigh and wiggling around until she's tucked up against the back of her chair, legs in the air, like she just don't care.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

jesus WEP posted:

post your t-rexes

Does a half T-Rex count?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

skoolmunkee posted:

She loves snoozing on her back. She'll always start out curled up in a dignified way but usually before long, it's a deep-chested sigh and wiggling around until she's tucked up against the back of her chair, legs in the air, like she just don't care.

this is a good rex

Radiation Cow posted:

Does a half T-Rex count?

it does not, but its adorable af so I’ll allow it

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice
Dogs sharing a bed and crumbs:

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

New tag collars!

Also, Tennyson loves toys. Rhoga put most of them away a couple days ago but Tennyson got them all back out of the toy basket.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

After I posted yesterday I put away all but three toys. This morning:

I didn't even know we had 2 elephant toys!

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Oh my god that is adorable

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Here a doggos:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

them doe eyes tho

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

jesus WEP posted:

them doe eyes tho

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Here's our whippet, Mr. Tubbs. He likes to wedge pillows and blankets into mounds to support his neck.

He was pretty nervous with our daughter when she was a newborn but has grown quite protective of her and puts up with hugs and kisses now. Her dropping food to him from her high chair might have something to do with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
That is so incredibly precious

Unlike these dorks