Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Oi ya scouser!

Yeah, I could see that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Seems fitting that the makers of the Grand Theft Auto games are based in Britain.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Seems fitting that the makers of the Grand Theft Auto games are based in Britain.

When they created the series they were based in Dundee, the city with the highest rate of illegitimate birth in Europe.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Who keeps track of that? Why?? "Exactly how full of bastards is this city?"

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
British healthcare is able to track such things so other welfare programs can be adjusted in the future based on birth rates, statistics, local sickness rates, etc.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

BiggerBoat posted:

The shark being broken was the best thing that could have happened to that film and really let Shaw, Scheider and Dreyfuss carry the load and shine, with a young and hungry Spielberg improvising and John Williams at the absolute top of

It was probably already in this thread but a small thing I liked in jaws is the reactions during the Indianapolis story scene. They are all dunk and happy, comparing scars, and then Quint starts to tell his story. Dreyfus‘ character knows the story already, being a shark expert, so if you watch him in that scene he pretty much instantly goes stone cold sober as soon as the story starts. Brody doesn’t know the story so he stays amused until the story turns bad. It’s almost 100% non verbal and is just a fantastic scene.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Jedit posted:

When they created the series they were based in Dundee, the city with the highest rate of illegitimate birth in Europe.

I like that term
Illegitimate birth.

You were never meant to be born, child

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Shut up dad!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I like that term
Illegitimate birth.

Named my son Legitimate First. Can't blame a mother for being proud.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Jedit posted:

The horror.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Spider-Man (2002) is on right now, and a little scene I love is when the Green Goblin attacks the Bugle, he demands to know who takes the pictures of Spider-Man, but even under what he knows is the threat of death, JJ won't give up his source.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Davros1 posted:

Spider-Man (2002) is on right now, and a little scene I love is when the Green Goblin attacks the Bugle, he demands to know who takes the pictures of Spider-Man, but even under what he knows is the threat of death, JJ won't give up his source.
You could fairly easily fill an entire thread with moments of J. Jonah Jameson being amazing. He doesn't like Spider-Man but other than that he's a pretty great guy.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

He's spent decades building up his public reputation and putting it on the line for the sake of the people, it's not surprising he doesn't take kindly to some vigilante who hides his face. And his son is a goddamn astronaut. That's a real hero! Do you know how you get to be an astronaut? It takes years of hard work and dedication! You sure as hell can't do it by showing up at a couple of robberies wearing a Halloween costume! Every man, woman and child in this city knows the name of J. Jonah Jameson, is there even a single person who knows who this punk is? Is he even American?!

Miss Brant, read that back to me.

flavor.flv has a new favorite as of 23:11 on May 25, 2018

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
The best part is the genius scientist only needs to read the loving caption to see the credit for the photo :haw:

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Davros1 posted:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That’s Born Again right? Looking back I think it might be Miller’s strongest work overall.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

The best part is the genius scientist only needs to read the loving caption to see the credit for the photo :haw:

J.J. Jameson doesn't give Parker photo credit because he wants to keep his talents all to himself.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

It’s subtle, but the Green Goblin can’t read!

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Dafoe did all of the out of costume work, but whenever the mask is on that's actually Brad Pitt.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Buying away the original photographer's rights to the picture for a song seems like a typical JJJ move.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

WampaLord posted:

Buying away the original photographer's rights to the picture for a song seems like a typical JJJ move.

Hey, Peter was also getting a nice Christmas ham out of the deal. I think he came out on top.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Parker has never got JJJ his giant rear end-gently caress coffee, so he's in no position to make demands.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Davros1 posted:

I always thought it was neat that the spider that bit Peter had his costume's color scheme.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

I always thought it was neat that the spider that bit Peter had his costume's color scheme.

I always thought that was one of the more contrived aspects of those movies.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The security at the Bugle is so bad that people can just openly threaten the people who work there.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

WampaLord posted:

I really doubt that it was JJJ's idea, having people know he photographs Spider-Man all the time is nearly as bad as having people know he IS Spider-Man. I mean look at what happened with Eddie Brock.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Phy posted:

Who keeps track of that? Why?? "Exactly how full of bastards is this city?"

Have you never participated in a national census?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Has Parker ever been described as a good photographer? Maybe most of his stuff has terrible composition and is just ever so slightly out of focus and J.J. buys the photos because they're cheap and the best he can get of Spider-man, not because they're actually decent shots.

In Spider-man 2 he did a terrible job taking pictures of the astronaut gala.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Yeah, apparently one of the reasons JJ keeps him around is that he's the only one who can regularly get pics of Spider-Man

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Davros1 posted:

Yeah, apparently one of the reasons JJ keeps him around is that he's the only one who can regularly get pics of Spider-Man

That's the ONLY reason.
Peter is not a skilled photographer. It's just one of the small things he did to earn a buck before he graduated.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Frank Miller loves him some venetian blind shadows too. Holy poo poo.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Biplane posted:

I always thought that was one of the more contrived aspects of those movies.

I thought it was implied that Peter used the spider as inspiration for his costume. (of course, they gloss over how he actually made the costume)

Davros1 posted:

Spider-Man is probably almost Batman tier in impossible to get decent photos of, just look at the way he moves around.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Krispy Wafer posted:

Has Parker ever been described as a good photographer? Maybe most of his stuff has terrible composition and is just ever so slightly out of focus and J.J. buys the photos because they're cheap and the best he can get of Spider-man, not because they're actually decent shots.

In Spider-man 2 he did a terrible job taking pictures of the astronaut gala.

I don't think he's ever been described as a bad photographer but at times he has been written as winning awards for his work.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Avengers Infinity War Thanos tells Thor that he "should have aimed for the head" with his axe and Thor actually really should have in order to kill Thanos before he could snap his fingers with the completed gauntlet.

:black101:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Has any writer tried to reboot Spider-Man as a youtuber? Straps a GoPro to his head, posts the most awesome first person Manhattan webslinging videos, drone videos ain't got nothing on that kind of aerial view. Livestreams taking down the Green Goblin. Millions in ad revenue. Jameson still runs a newspaper and can't figure out why no one wants secondhand accounts of Spider-Man's adventures.

Downsides: has to go out every single night and post everything he does or his followers will dwindle. Mysterio sets up a rival channel with much better cinematography. Chameleon keeps trolling the comments under different accounts.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It would never work, Youtube would blab his real identity to everyone.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

My Lovely Horse posted:

Has any writer tried to reboot Spider-Man as a youtuber?

Not quite youtube, but I'll never forget this, from the Sony leaks in 2014:

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Captain America: Civil War kinda addressed Spider-Man’s public exposure by showing that he’s a YouTube phenomenon, though it’s more other people filming his antics than Peter taking pics/vids of himself.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I thought it was implied that Peter used the spider as inspiration for his costume. (of course, they gloss over how he actually made the costume)

Spider motif, yeah, but I don't think he ever got a close look at the red and cyan color scheme of the spider itself, did he?

And, yeah, it'd be a neat idea to really explore in depth the idea of a teenage superhero actually trying to keep his identity secret in this day and age. Ubiquitous cell phones, GPS, pinging, security screens...it'd be near impossible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

My Lovely Horse posted:

Has any writer tried to reboot Spider-Man as a youtuber? Straps a GoPro to his head, posts the most awesome first person Manhattan webslinging videos, drone videos ain't got nothing on that kind of aerial view. Livestreams taking down the Green Goblin. Millions in ad revenue. Jameson still runs a newspaper and can't figure out why no one wants secondhand accounts of Spider-Man's adventures.

Downsides: has to go out every single night and post everything he does or his followers will dwindle. Mysterio sets up a rival channel with much better cinematography. Chameleon keeps trolling the comments under different accounts.

Accidentally uses a slur on camera, forgets to turn it off before he starts jo