Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I have enough kids and don’t want any more. Kids are expensive and if I had more they would be living in my house when I was like 60. No thanks.

I’ll be 38-39 by the time my second wife and I have a kid and she wants at least two so I’m potentially looking at 65-68.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Toona the Cat posted:

I’ll be 38-39 by the time my second wife and I have a kid and she wants at least two so I’m potentially looking at 65-68.

Having the kids out of the house by your mid 40s is fun. :pervert:

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Back when I was an associate at one of the top white shoe firms, my assigned mentor partner boasted to me about how little he saw his kids. He was so proud of spending so much time on his deals that he had no time for family. It rubbed me the wrong way, and now as a partner and practice group head of the world's smallest practice group I really like to see associates spend time with their kids so long as they are getting their stuff done.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

joat mon posted:

Having the kids out of the house by your mid 40s is fun. :pervert:

I won’t have them both gone until I’m 54. Assuming they don’t go to law school and live at home until they’re 35.

My vasectomy cost me about $750 for the procedure and consult. Insurance was billed like twice that though.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Toona the Cat posted:

So I’m at my camp and kind of wasted but yeah. I have a 9.5 year old daughter who has cerebral palsy from medical malpractice. That’s why I quit my job and went to college because the lawyer who handled my case, one of the best in Pittsburgh, made me feel completely at ease and I was in such bewilderment, I went to law school to make others feel the same way.

/en

If you really want to do that, I'd tell you to go family law.

My clients loving love me. I get hugged (I have a rule that I never initiate contact) 2-3x a week. Sometimes by clients, sometimes by attorneys. I don't know why.

I had a gorgeous 24-year old girl hand me $500 to finish her uncontested divorce in the middle of the courthouse. She was really sweet and actually asked me about myself, which barely anyone does.

I handed her $100 back and said "Go do something for yourself today." And she did this huge jumping hug on me and ten attorneys stared. "I really needed that money."

Then my client hugged me at 8:30 at the end of our loving mediation this week.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Moatman posted:

So this is gonna seem like a weird question, but I'm not interested in practicing law, just learning about it. Any good book/resource recs? Good as in information-heavy, not readable. I've read enough academic papers that now I don't think there's a book in the world that can bore me enough that I completely stop paying attention.

Obviously there's the Restatements but any other big ones?

Recent non-current editions of law school text books (or the current ones, if you sleep on a mattress of $100 bills).

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

My client was thrilled that defendants input got 1 million yesterday, instead of the 10.5 they were asking for.

We ate lunch together :kiddo:

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

CaptainScraps posted:

My clients loving love me. I get hugged (I have a rule that I never initiate contact) 2-3x a week. Sometimes by clients, sometimes by attorneys. I don't know why.

I had a gorgeous 24-year old girl hand me $500 to finish her uncontested divorce in the middle of the courthouse. She was really sweet and actually asked me about myself, which barely anyone does.

I handed her $100 back and said "Go do something for yourself today." And she did this huge jumping hug on me and ten attorneys stared. "I really needed that money."

I really did like my family law course and have some experience in the divorce code.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Toona are you going to take the bar?

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

joat mon posted:

It's the yanking on the vas defrens to make enough slack to work on it.

That is a fascinating feeling. Like that instant sickness in your stomach.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

CaptainScraps posted:

Counterpoint: I got hugged once in 5-6 years of family law. It was one hug too many.

Edit: also I never gave back money.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Toona are you going to take the bar?

Yeah, February. I’m working out a program with my school’s director of bar services to begin studying late this summer before the actual program starts in December.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Roger_Mudd posted:

Counterpoint: I got hugged once in 5-6 years of family law. It was one hug too many.

Edit: also I never gave back money.

I consider it my advertising budget. If people are happy, I get more work.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

CaptainScraps posted:

I consider it my advertising budget. If people are happy, I get more work.

sounds like you gave a girl 100 bucks because she's hot

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Nice piece of fish posted:

What the gently caress how old are you people? I'm in my thirties and I don't know a single person who's had that procedure. I don't know anyone who would or should consider it. I won't ever, because I don't see the need.

I guess this is some sort of america only thing, oh yeah and also socialized medicine probably plays a part. You really only have a kid if you really really want it.

Goons have a weird but somewhat reassuring tendency to sterilize themselves. I don't think it's otherwise super common in America.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

mastershakeman posted:

I also gave the 60 year old lady with a $100,000 estate a capped fee last week but that's not as good of a story.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

CaptainScraps posted:

I also gave the 60 year old lady with a $100,000 estate a capped fee last week but that's not as good of a story.

You slept with her didn't you.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Not even with your parts

The mediator listened to this lady bitch for two hours, took me outside and said "she's so crazy I wouldn't hire her to pick up branches from my yard."

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

All along I thought your username was A nice piece of fish.

Everything I know is a lie.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've got a vasectomy consult in a week but I have two kids so

Also mid-30s

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
37 also with two kids, my brother.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

mastershakeman posted:

Let he who has not etc etc.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
I got tamales from a woman who's theft charge I got dismissed (which kept her from being deported). She was accused of stealing tamale ingredients.
(Allegedly) stolen tamales, best tamales.

I got hugged by a few clients, mostly it was weird. I don't do human contact. Though after NGs (or hangs followed by dismissals), I totally get it. They were all women, and mostly all DUIs. Tamale lady did not hug me. She was smart, food is the true way to please me.

nm fucked around with this message at 06:02 on May 27, 2018

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

CaptainScraps posted:

:dance:

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

nm posted:

I got tamales from a woman who's theft charge I got dismissed (which kept her from being deported). She was accused of stealing tamale ingredients.
(Allegedly) stolen tamales, best tamales.

I got hugged by a few clients, mostly it was weird. I don't do human contact. Though after NGs (or hangs followed by dismissals), I totally get it. They were all women, and mostly all DUIs. Tamale lady did not hug me. She was smart, food is the true way to please me.

Oh man I love when people give me tamales

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jul 13, 2021

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?
Tamale tiger would be a good cspam username.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

CaptainScraps posted:

Oh man I love when people give me tamales

I make dope loving tamales, but i gotta have good reason because it’s a lot of work.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I had a client offer me weed when I was doing l&t in law school

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

I had a client offer me weed when I was doing l&t in law school

Just make sure and put it into your trust account and only smoke it as it’s earned.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I used to have a picture of one like that. A Tampa lawyer dba a The Divorce Deli. His website had a "menu" of flat fee family law cases. He has since rebranded..

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I used to have a picture of one like that. A Tampa lawyer dba a The Divorce Deli. His website had a "menu" of flat fee family law cases. He has since rebranded..

Probably because it ran afoul florida professional conduct rules for advertising.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Discendo Vox posted:

Why do law offices still mostly adhere to "name of dead partner, name of dead partner & name of dead partner's son who inherited their clients"? Why not embrace modern branding? Lawyr. Litigat. Hot Dog's Haus of paternity.

In some states you have to keep the name of a lawyer in your firm name. But back in the early 00s there were some that tried out names like "Red Hot Law Group"...technically "Red Hot Law Group of Ashley, LLC."

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Mr. Nice! posted:

Probably because it ran afoul florida professional conduct rules for advertising.

Something I've always wondered: Do professional conductors have professional conduct rules? If so, what are they called?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

I can see you Guam goons.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Roger_Mudd posted:

I can see you Guam goons.

I’m in Fiji atm but will be back tomorrow

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.
My company (an Illinois health system) has two Assistant GC positions along with several paralegal positions open in our Chicago HQ. Hit me up if you want details.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Moatman posted:

So this is gonna seem like a weird question, but I'm not interested in practicing law, just learning about it. Any good book/resource recs? Good as in information-heavy, not readable. I've read enough academic papers that now I don't think there's a book in the world that can bore me enough that I completely stop paying attention.

Obviously there's the Restatements but any other big ones?

In addition to the good suggestion of law school text books, you could also look for Examples & Explanations on topics that interest you. They're supplements meant for law students, but structured as what their title suggests instead of just outlines of rules. Likewise, text books tend to be some pages of explanation of a rule or law, then excerpts from a couple cases to illustrate them.

I suppose you could read commercial outlines or bar study aids, but...why? It'd be like reading a 200 page power point slide of bullet points.

In all cases, get ones a few years out of date for big savings.

If you meant more like scholarly articles discussing quirks of an area of law, emerging issues, interesting studies, etc., just find law review articles that tickle your fancy. Any major law school's will do.