Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool
Mine is called Bards and Birds and it's just an excuse to sing musicals with my friends (with dice!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

You wake up at the end of the original adventure with a splitting headache and fuzzy memories and have to retrace the steps of the adventure to go back to your simple level 0 lives.
This sounds fun as balls tbh. Could work in a D&D style fixed module or a more narrative structure where players gain/lose mechanical benefits for introducing bad/good past experiences.

I remember someone (AlphaDog?) was planning on running a prequel adventure for an established campaign and one of their guys had started the game with only one arm, so I suggested he pepper the game with obvious arm-losing opportunities like levers in statue recesses. The players would have full OOC knowledge that everyone else could interact with them fine (but should act nervous in character), but as soon as the doomed character was chosen to interact with one it was retroactively always how he'd lost his arm.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
mine's Dungeonsand Dragons. It's a desert setting were dungeons randomly appear around hidden artifacts and you go to the end of them where a dragon forms from the very sand to protect the magical treasure

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Decorum & Deference - you have to engage in social combat to gain clearance to actually enter the dungeon, because otherwise engaging in violence makes you the monster yourself

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Mine's Truncheons & Flagons, a semi co-op narrative game where you play a group of city guardsmen in a tavern drinking heavily and trying to one-up each other with stories about god drat adventurers ruining your day.

Splicer posted:

This sounds fun as balls tbh. Could work in a D&D style fixed module or a more narrative structure where players gain/lose mechanical benefits for introducing bad/good past experiences.

I remember someone (AlphaDog?) was planning on running a prequel adventure for an established campaign and one of their guys had started the game with only one arm, so I suggested he pepper the game with obvious arm-losing opportunities like levers in statue recesses. The players would have full OOC knowledge that everyone else could interact with them fine (but should act nervous in character), but as soon as the doomed character was chosen to interact with one it was retroactively always how he'd lost his arm.

I don't recall that, or running that specific scenario, but I've done games that have little (or big) flashback episodes about the past. So it's not impossible that we had that conversation and I ended up doing something like that, because it's a great idea.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 12:56 on May 26, 2018

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Mine is Luncheons & Naggings, where you play as middle-aged mothers trying to get your kids to have children so that you can have grandchildren.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Mine is Done Joke and Dragging.

I'm just yanking your chain, we like to have fun here.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Novum posted:

Mine is Done Joke and Dragging.

... Mike?

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Please, call me Mr. Mearls.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Death to ability scores. That said, which is the most fun way to use them?

4e - Every race gets a +2 to a specific stat, then another +2 of one stat, chosen between two. Dwarf: +2 Con, +2 Str or Wis.

13th Age - Every race gets +2 to a specific stat, then their class gives them a +2 to that class's relevant stat.

Whatever gently caress it who cares - Class gives +2 to its relevant stat, you choose another +2 of whatever you want.

The third one is probably the most fun, insofar as you can have fun plugging in a +2, and balance in 5e doesn't exist anyway.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Take a +3 in your main class stat*.
Take a +2 in a related class stat* (you'd need to list these per class, it might be a choice or might be set. For example, Fighters would choose between Dex and Con).
Take a +1 and a +0 and put them wherever you like.
Take a +1 and a +0 or a +2 and a -1 and put them wherever you like.

*If you can't be bothered figuring this out or writing it down, just say "put it wherever" and if they're not total newbies 9/10 players will get it right or close to right regardless, and 1/10 players are going to build a charisma-primary Fighter or something equally fuckheaded no matter how much you try to help them.

e: In case it's not clear, you do not use any arrays or rolls or point buy or anything, those numbers are your stats. If you really want, you can convert them to the traditional 3-18 range so you can convert them back to +/- 0 to 4.

E2: Anyone wishing to lower any or all of their stats "for roleplaying" is welcome to do so, but receives no mechanical benefit. Yeah, didn't think so.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 14:55 on May 26, 2018

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Admiral Joeslop posted:

4e - Every race gets a +2 to a specific stat, then another +2 of one stat, chosen between two. Dwarf: +2 Con, +2 Str or Wis.

13th Age - Every race gets +2 to a specific stat, then their class gives them a +2 to that class's relevant stat.

Whatever gently caress it who cares - Class gives +2 to its relevant stat, you choose another +2 of whatever you want.

The third one is probably the most fun, insofar as you can have fun plugging in a +2, and balance in 5e doesn't exist anyway.

Give everyone 18's in all stats.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Everyone starts with 5 classless characters with 3d6 down the line and the survivors of the meat grinder get to be PCs.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Everyone starts with 5 classless characters with 3d6 down the line and the survivors of the meat grinder get to be PCs.

At that point, you might as well be playing DCC, which also neatly sidesteps a lot of the skill check discussion by simply having everything be DC 10, and you either roll a d20+ability mod if your character knows how to do that thing, and a d10+ability mod otherwise.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I love the narrative idea of taking a large group with shared purpose and hardening them into adventurers. DCC seems strange but cool to me, I haven't read through the whole book yet.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Gamma World style. You automatically get an 18 in your most important stat, and 16 in your second most important stat. Then roll 3d6 for the rest of your stats because who the gently caress cares, you're not going to use them.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Unless you are playing a bunch of characters, mostly non spellcasters. In which case you kind of need no less than a 14 in a third or fourth stat, maybe even 16.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
gently caress dex and wis, go monk/barbarian and kung fu ragepunch anything that asks for a skill check

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Ryuujin posted:

Unless you are playing a bunch of characters, mostly non spellcasters. In which case you kind of need no less than a 14 in a third or fourth stat, maybe even 16.

If we're making our dream game anyway we just won't include lovely class design.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
I'm gathering materials and information for my campaign and I was wondering if someone could point me towards a campaign book they thought was well structured so I could see how they compiled their information and how best to do it myself. I've never actually run an official campaign, and I'd like to stay away from 5th edition stuff if I could since I play a lot of it and don't want to be spoiled.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I think structure is probably going to depend a lot on what sort of campaign it is. I know I'm not answering the question but do you want to give some guidance there? I've been reading lots of modules from lots of systems and they're all swimming in my head but I don't think I've run enough of them to have strong opinions on structure. The most important thing to me as a DM is to have relevant information, and only relevant information, close-by when I look up a given thing. If this means repeating some information over and over, so be it, don't make my flip around for it. So like, if the party is in some cave or town or hex or whatever, put whatever the DM will need to run that hex(monsters or random monster tables, notable features, etc) near the description of it. Aggressively edit your descriptive text so that it's all functional and evocative and not like, dry descriptions of things that don't matter and distract you from the key things that you'll want to know immediately. If it's a generic kitchen, write "kitchen", you don't need a detailed inventory. Your imagination when your players are at the table will make a much better kitchen than you ever could on paper beforehand.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
im working on a method to handle overland travel with gantt charts

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

I think structure is probably going to depend a lot on what sort of campaign it is. I know I'm not answering the question but do you want to give some guidance there? I've been reading lots of modules from lots of systems and they're all swimming in my head but I don't think I've run enough of them to have strong opinions on structure. The most important thing to me as a DM is to have relevant information, and only relevant information, close-by when I look up a given thing. If this means repeating some information over and over, so be it, don't make my flip around for it. So like, if the party is in some cave or town or hex or whatever, put whatever the DM will need to run that hex(monsters or random monster tables, notable features, etc) near the description of it. Aggressively edit your descriptive text so that it's all functional and evocative and not like, dry descriptions of things that don't matter and distract you from the key things that you'll want to know immediately. If it's a generic kitchen, write "kitchen", you don't need a detailed inventory. Your imagination when your players are at the table will make a much better kitchen than you ever could on paper beforehand.

So the structure of the leg of the campaign I'm preparing is as such:

The players are in a very large town that has a dome around it they cannot leave. The people in this town have been stuck here for some decent amount of time and several factions have formed and the town has been cut into several districts, some of which are warring and some of which are more isolationist. I need to compile information on each faction, the notable npcs within those factions, map out each factions area, as well as create a sort of variable progression, as many of the factions have resources that the players will need to ultimately get to and defeat the force keeping everyone locked in this town.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

mormonpartyboat posted:

One of my players would love that lol, let me know if you come up with something.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

mormonpartyboat posted:

In the name of expedience, The Harpers have assigned me to be your party's PM. I'm going to have a lot of questions to start with so please be patient while I "get in the swing" of things. I'm sure we'll all find a workflow together that ensures a quick and decisive victory. Here's the roadmap I've laid out for the next 3 months - please submit any feedback by this friday.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

In the name of expedience, The Harpers have assigned me to be your party's PM. I'm going to have a lot of questions to start with so please be patient while I "get in the swing" of things. I'm sure we'll all find a workflow together that ensures a quick and decisive victory. Here's the roadmap I've laid out for the next 3 months - please submit any feedback by this friday.

Hello, who just joined?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

CubeTheory posted:

So the structure of the leg of the campaign I'm preparing is as such:

The players are in a very large town that has a dome around it they cannot leave. The people in this town have been stuck here for some decent amount of time and several factions have formed and the town has been cut into several districts, some of which are warring and some of which are more isolationist. I need to compile information on each faction, the notable npcs within those factions, map out each factions area, as well as create a sort of variable progression, as many of the factions have resources that the players will need to ultimately get to and defeat the force keeping everyone locked in this town.

Are you going to prescribe which faction a party interacts with first? Are they in a steady state or are things happening with or without the party? A general timeline of what will happen without the party's intervention would help me think about things. If each faction has something they are planning, maybe try to break that into stages whose success or failure will be visible to the party.

I'm sort of imagining a progression of "dealing" with one faction at a time. Maybe a faction they help goes forward two steps in their plan, one they don't interact with goes forward one step, and one they hinder stays where they are or goes back, depending on the nature of the plan.

I haven't tried running it but Hot Springs Island is a hexcrawl with a bunch of factions on a poorly-explored island. It describes itself as a bunch of powder kegs ready for PCs to set off. Its structure is pretty unique in that there is a DM's guide to all the hexes and locations and factions and stuff, and a field guide for players that is an actual in-game object that they find and also a hardcover book you can buy and hand to your players. This sounds super cool in person to me because they will look over each other's shoulders, pass it around and/or read out loud like actual adventurers with a field guide to a location would do. It is of course incomplete and may have incorrect or incomplete information, as a field guide for a dangerous not-fully-explored island would.

Its factions section is a lot to take in. Each group, large or small has a set of things they want or don't want, and same for each leader of the bigger ones. I expect the order the PCs encounter them plays a large part in how you end up structuring the campaign arc - it's their freedom but your responsibility. A city will be distinctly different from an island - the wants and don't-wants directly pertain to things going on elsewhere on the map. You'd have to thread in the shared goal of getting out of the city and how each faction feels about that.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 21:44 on May 26, 2018

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Dungeon World's section on Fronts is a pretty good resource for "how to create and arrange the information for this campaign": https://www.dungeonworldsrd.com/gamemastering/#Fronts It's not rules so much as a semi-formalised way of working through "who are these guys, what do they want, what happens if they're left unchecked?", so it'll work for D&D too.

You'll probably want to get more detailed than it implies though, unless you're the type of DM that's already doing DW's draw maps, leave blanks and play to find out what happens in your D&D game.

E: This article and the one it links about using fronts in D&D will do a better job of explaining than I can: http://slyflourish.com/looking_back_on_fronts.html

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 22:43 on May 26, 2018

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Anyone have a 5e west marches campaign? I have a friend looking for an active group.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I swear to god Minor Conjuration is the coolest non-combat ability in the game.

Things I've made: A pushbroom to clear caltrops, leather gloves to search rat-ridden corpses, mugs full of fermented orange juice (which can't get me drunk because it ceases to exist when it takes damage from my stomach acid), coins to hand to rubes, etc. How much you can cheese it depends on the DM but even if they keep it pretty strict you can do tons of fun poo poo with it.

Baby T. Love
Aug 5, 2009

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I swear to god Minor Conjuration is the coolest non-combat ability in the game.

Things I've made: A pushbroom to clear caltrops, leather gloves to search rat-ridden corpses, mugs full of fermented orange juice (which can't get me drunk because it ceases to exist when it takes damage from my stomach acid), coins to hand to rubes, etc. How much you can cheese it depends on the DM but even if they keep it pretty strict you can do tons of fun poo poo with it.

Clear this with your DM first, because "The object is visibly magical, radiating dim light out to 5 feet" could ruin your rube-duping and a strict DM might also say "This object can be no larger than 3 feet on a side" means even a normal push broom would be too long.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Ask your DM if you're allowed to use your magic powers to temporarily have a broom

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Baby T. Love posted:

Clear this with your DM first, because "The object is visibly magical, radiating dim light out to 5 feet" could ruin your rube-duping and a strict DM might also say "This object can be no larger than 3 feet on a side" means even a normal push broom would be too long.

If he's already made these things I'd guess he's also already cleared it with his DM

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
make your dm transparent

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Baby T. Love posted:

I figure the average shopkeeper won't accept funny money but some idiot on the street might think you're the greatest guy in the world long enough to spill some info for a fake platinum coin.

And I gave the pushbroom a 3-foot handle.

edit: Unrelated, a lot of the material components for spells are meant to be something funny or evocative about how the spell works, like Unseen Servant implies that you're creating a tiny marionette rig that becomes occupied by the elemental. What the heck is the strange bent wire/leather setup for Levitate supposed to be? It's listed as "Either a small leather loop or a piece of golden wire bent into a cup shape with a long shank on one end."

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 15:50 on May 27, 2018

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
It's the materials used in common "levitation" magic tricks

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Oh okay like the wire harness and hoop to pass over someone. Got it.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Mearls is a poo poo designer but a brilliant Twitter Troll:

https://twitter.com/mikemearls/status/1000619465065750528

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Razorwired posted:

Psionic Inspiration.

It'll go great with Bardic Inspiration and Inspiration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Razorwired posted:

So it's a spell list that's shared between multiple classes? Like... the 3e Sor/Wiz list? Or the spells from Monte Cook's Arcana Unearthed? Or, pretty much every non-D&D RPG? I feel like I'm missing something.