Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

mostlygray posted:

Induction seems cool, but I move my pans around to violently and too often I think. They're also almost all cast iron. I like to set the pan half on half off the burner so I can be sauteing on on side and sweating on the other. I also use the open flame for tortillas and quick roasting peppers. I also roast hot dogs on them which is not as bad or smokey as it sounds.

I'd be too paranoid of damaging the induction glass. I know it's faster and more controllable, but it makes it harder to burn your house down when you dump in a half a cup of cognac with the burner on full. I think the little bit of panic when the flame hits your ceiling makes the food better.

Same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Gas gives you the most accurate heat control, and is the only heat source that let's you keep heat on a pan while moving it around in open air

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

How is gas more accurate? I've never felt like perfect accuracy mattered in anything I've cooked, but how is eyeballing how big a flame is more accurate than being able to enter a desired temperature?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

How is gas more accurate? I've never felt like perfect accuracy mattered in anything I've cooked, but how is eyeballing how big a flame is more accurate than being able to enter a desired temperature?

The flame can be jacked up or turned down instantly, rather than waiting for a burner to heat up or cool down. The level I cook at (I do it for a living) does require alot more precision of heat. Also have to consider the flexibility of being able to move the pan freely over the flame.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

If you have an electric stove, turn it to high. Let it heat up. Now, turn it to about 1/3 or 1/2 temperature. You'll notice the coils stay hotter for a significantly longer period then if you tried this with gas.

Gas gives you immediate temperature regulation that electric stoves just can't.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Yeah when I said it was more accurate, I didn't mean like to the degree of heat, I meant more regulating it precisely as needed. My bad for being unclear.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
I notice a difference pretty much instantly with an induction hob.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Let’s not conflate electric and induction, though. Electric is not very good, gas is probably the best, but the flat I’m in at the moment has an induction hob, and it is pretty amazing. I’d say it is even more responsive than gas in terms of speed, but the issue it does have is that you can’t move the pan around much.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Scientastic posted:

Let’s not conflate electric and induction, though. Electric is not very good, gas is probably the best, but the flat I’m in at the moment has an induction hob, and it is pretty amazing. I’d say it is even more responsive than gas in terms of speed, but the issue it does have is that you can’t move the pan around much.

That's my big sticking point tbh, moving the pan. French cooking suites in high end kitchens are induction tops and loving rule, but there is always a gas stove right next to it.

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008
Plus you can't roast chilis or eggplants or bells on an electric.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

OutsideAngel posted:

Plus you can't roast chilis or eggplants or bells on an electric or induction.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Look at you fancy pants, with your gas burners

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Yeah, I was comparing gas to induction. I don't know of anyone who wouldn't agree that electric is just complete poo poo at everything.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

mostlygray posted:

Induction seems cool, but I move my pans around to violently and too often I think.

They're also almost all cast iron...
I'd be too paranoid of damaging the induction glass.

My mom yelled at me for shaking the cast-iron skillet when stir-frying at her place on the induction stove. The gas stove was the one thing I liked about my last rental house, which was literally falling apart around/under me, but goddamn could I cook a nice steak.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Shaking the whole skillet seems like way more work than just moving the food with a spoon.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Spoon? Just dump it on the floor like a animal!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Electric is good for simmering stuff.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
So is gas and induction.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

let's face it, most of us using electric probably don't have a choice otherwise

at least I don't :smith:

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

HOLY gently caress posted:

Yeah you right

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer
I cook for a living and gas is hands down the superior option. That said, I personally don't care what the stove at my house is like, I never have to cook for hundreds of people over the course of several hours there. I usually eat pretty simply at home, and if I'm going to do a big meal for family or friends or whatever electric is no issue. I definitely have a habit of getting every pot and pan we have dirty though.

If I were to buy a house I'd definitely invest in a nice Viking range or something similar. Also professional hood vents, I have a bigger issue with smoking up the house when i sear steaks in cast iron than I do getting/controlling proper heat from electric. But while I'm renting washer/dryer, dishwasher, and shower water pressure are higher on my list of cares than the type of stove.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
And sure you can kill yourself with an electric if you try hard enough, but it's drat near impossible with an induction.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
The saying goes now we're cooking with gas, not with electricity. Some pretty basic stuff, I don't know what people are arguing about.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
And the other day this drunk driver smashed his car right through the wall and into my kitchen severing the mainline to my induction range. That did not end well let me tell you.

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008

Karate Bastard posted:

And sure you can kill yourself with an electric if you try hard enough, but it's drat near impossible with an induction.

Is this supposed to be a pro or a con?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

OutsideAngel posted:

Is this supposed to be a pro or a con?

I suppose that depends on your age and economic situation

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Yeah, I was comparing gas to induction. I don't know of anyone who wouldn't agree that electric is just complete poo poo at everything.
If I were a fancypants rich person I'd probably get a dual-fuel stove. Electric oven, gas cooktop. I'd say that's the only place electric does better since the element means more even heating than the gas strip down the middle.

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

OutsideAngel posted:

Plus you can't roast chilis or eggplants or bells on an electric.

But you can do spots :colbert:

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

SubponticatePoster posted:

If I were a fancypants rich person I'd probably get a dual-fuel stove. Electric oven, gas cooktop. I'd say that's the only place electric does better since the element means more even heating than the gas strip down the middle.
I have that now and it's the best. But the place I'm moving to only has electric. It's the one thing I'm going to miss.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Lifehack: It doesn't matter what heat source you use if you boil all your food.

steinrokkan has a new favorite as of 20:03 on May 26, 2018

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

LMAO at people still loving gas ovens, wet shaving, drug-taking, IPAs, bathtubs, and the US constitution - like it's still the 19th century or something SMDH LOL.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

steinrokkan posted:

Lifehack: It doesn't what heat source you use if you boil all your food.

Oh wow, my grandma was reincarnated as a goon!?!

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

om nom nom posted:

I have a bigger issue with smoking up the house when i sear steaks in cast iron than I do getting/controlling proper heat from electric.
Same here, and I'm stuck with electric.

HOLY gently caress posted:

I live half a mile from a major gas pipeline and my neighborhood has no service :(

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I'm very tempted when we redo the kitchen to install three of those 30cm Domino hobs, 1 induction, 1 2-ring gas, 1 gas wok burner, that should cover all needs.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

I am also a Poor and cannot afford a gas stove/my apartment doesn't allow gas stoves.

Lifehack: spray air freshener directly into fan and then immediately choke and gag as it flies back into your face.

I just watched a co-worker do this.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

steinrokkan posted:

Lifehack: It doesn't matter what heat source you use if you boil all your food.
Lifehack: get delivery or go out for all your meals and never cook.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Zereth posted:

Lifehack: get delivery or go out for all your meals and never cook.

Lifehack: Don't make some poor guy slave away to make your food just because you are a lazy piece of poo poo.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Lifehack: stop eating and before long you'll never need to again.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

My home City has gas heat for most stand alone houses, but most people have electric ranges/stoves. However, I knew someone who's parents had their outdoor grill hooked up to the house line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Eat your own shed skin flakes and hair. They're everywhere and they're free!