Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Can an RPG actually work if the GM is keener on running than the players are on playing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

hyphz posted:

Can an RPG actually work if the GM is keener on running than the players are on playing?

Depending on your system this might be a requirement.

In general I think all parties need to be pretty keen; the degree to which is then pretty open so long as everyone's excited to be there.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

hyphz posted:

If the players don't mind playing, sure. They don't have to be incredibly invested in the game for it to work if the GM cares enough to do their job properly.

If the players hate it, then no.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

hyphz posted:

Depends on how much. If the GM is creating intricate plots with really detailed NPCs that have whole family trees plotted out and making detailed maps for every location, but the players are going "I roll a 19 on diplomacy" and otherwise checking out until it's time to roll initiative, then that GM is probably going to burn out really hard.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

hyphz posted:

Yeah, it just depends how big the gap is, how much feedback the GM craves, and the reason the players are playing at all.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
:siren: New blogpost is up for The Next Project!

This time, talking very briefly about the basics of building monster powers (to round out May, which is Monster Month... I decided, last post) :orks:

Jump in the TNP Discord, and join the discussion!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

hyphz posted:

How big of a difference of interest are we talking because as long as the player ennui isn't that high the GM might be able to truck it to a decent end. If they are just plodding along though it'll definitely spread.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I have always been keener on running games than my group is on playing. They like playing just fine but definitely not enough to seek it out if I stopped running games.

It works just fine.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 14:11 on May 29, 2018

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
What's the best way to do superheroes in FATE Core? I have been eyeing it as an idea, but I've been so indecisive with everything on how to do things.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
It should work as-is. Just say it’s a superhero game and DM accordingly.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

Covok posted:

What's the best way to do superheroes in FATE Core? I have been eyeing it as an idea, but I've been so indecisive with everything on how to do things.
Probably Venture City.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

rumble in the bunghole posted:

It should work as-is. Just say it’s a superhero game and DM accordingly.

Yeah. Use aspects as permission for doing superhero-y stuff as part of your regular skill rolls, and you're good.

Otherwise you can use Venture City to make power packages, as noted.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
Just wrote the newest blogpost for my homebrew rpg project and realized I semi-accidently ripped of Blades in the Dark a bit too much.
But it´s still a really good thing. Goddarn!
How far does one have to got before it´s easier to make it a complete Blades-Hack instead of reinventing the wheel?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Foglet posted:

Probably Venture City.

Read that as Venture Bros, would play.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
A Venture Bros game would best be played with the Duckman RPG system.

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

Want to start gaming with the wife. She doesn't like concentrating on board games so I thought we might do some role playing. Anything we can do as just 2 players?

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

Zapf Dingbat posted:

Want to start gaming with the wife. She doesn't like concentrating on board games so I thought we might do some role playing. Anything we can do as just 2 players?

2 players, with the wife? Literally anything. The rules don't matter at that point. :)

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Zapf Dingbat posted:

I always recommend Fall of Magic for people new to role playing and want to play without worrying about rules or needing a gm.

I think the company that made that game recently released a game called BFF, though I don't know anything about it.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

hyphz posted:

2 players, with the wife? Literally anything. The rules don't matter at that point. :)

Wrong. Wrong. The rules extremely matter, and in two-player they can actually matter more because the intensity of play in 1:1 gaming is much higher than it is with even three players, and the effects of bad or malfunctioning rules get magnified. Many games simply do not work properly without at least a duo of players, and introducing someone to RPGs via a system that is breaking down before you even make characters is not a good plan.

Zapf, if your wife is into Lovecraft and you're comfortable doing investigative horror, you might look into Cthulhu Confidential, which is made specifically for one-player-one-GM. Alternatively, there's the magnificent Romance Trilogy by Emily Care Boss, three small games about relationships. If those doesn't fit her tastes or yours, look for other games meant for one-shots rather than full campaigns. They'll be tailored to providing an engaging experience in a short time frame. I've heard good things about Beast Hunters and the unfortunately-named by well-regarded Trollbabe for this purpose, but haven't played them.

If that experience works out and you both want to move on to something suitable for campaign play, look for games where the game doesn't require that the protagonists be in a group that will shore up each other's weaknesses (D&D, I'm looking at you). There's a decent number of these: Apocalypse World, Burning Wheel, Stars Without Number, Godbound, etc.

Edit: Kibner's suggest for Fall of Magic is also good, although the game is expensive and it isn't a traditional RPG per se - more like a collaborate storytelling experience with amazing props.

Kestral fucked around with this message at 18:22 on May 28, 2018

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Scarlet Heroes

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Kestral posted:

Wrong. Wrong. The rules extremely matter, and in two-player they can actually matter more because the intensity of play in 1:1 gaming is much higher than it is with even three players, and the effects of bad or malfunctioning rules get magnified. Many games simply do not work properly without at least a duo of players, and introducing someone to RPGs via a system that is breaking down before you even make characters is not a good plan.

:thejoke:

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

Kestral posted:

Zapf, if your wife is into Lovecraft and you're comfortable doing investigative horror, you might look into Cthulhu Confidential, which is made specifically for one-player-one-GM. Alternatively, there's the magnificent Romance Trilogy by Emily Care Boss, three small games about relationships. If those doesn't fit her tastes or yours, look for other games meant for one-shots rather than full campaigns. They'll be tailored to providing an engaging experience in a short time frame. I've heard good things about Beast Hunters and the unfortunately-named by well-regarded Trollbabe for this purpose, but haven't played them.

If that experience works out and you both want to move on to something suitable for campaign play, look for games where the game doesn't require that the protagonists be in a group that will shore up each other's weaknesses (D&D, I'm looking at you). There's a decent number of these: Apocalypse World, Burning Wheel, Stars Without Number, Godbound, etc.

Edit: Kibner's suggest for Fall of Magic is also good, although the game is expensive and it isn't a traditional RPG per se - more like a collaborate storytelling experience with amazing props.

This was the most helpful not getting the joke I've ever seen, not sarcasm.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Andrast posted:

I have always been keener on running games than my group is on playing. They like playing just fine but they definitely not enough to seek it out if I stopped running games.

It works just fine.

This is how my game is. My players will skip game night to go to the bar with in laws or put their kids to bed. We've been playing almost 10 years.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Zapf Dingbat posted:

This was the most helpful not getting the joke I've ever seen, not sarcasm.

It's hyphz. I cannot assume anything.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Yeah pretty sure hyphz was making a weird sex joke, not being sarcastic

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Still not sure where/how to catch up on what's been going on with Games Workshop, was some conversation earlier in this thread about how they've got new management, and it seems like they're starting to try to win back the crowd after 40k stagnated and they burnt Fantasy to the ground, wanked on the ashes and tried to sell the wanky ashes in an overpriced box set? Floating turtles are cool and all, but near everything I've seen from Age of Sigmar looks super generic, ironic given the whole point was they want to make everything easier to trademark.

Lupercalcalcal
Jan 28, 2016

Suck a dick, dumb shits

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Still not sure where/how to catch up on what's been going on with Games Workshop, was some conversation earlier in this thread about how they've got new management, and it seems like they're starting to try to win back the crowd after 40k stagnated and they burnt Fantasy to the ground, wanked on the ashes and tried to sell the wanky ashes in an overpriced box set? Floating turtles are cool and all, but near everything I've seen from Age of Sigmar looks super generic, ironic given the whole point was they want to make everything easier to trademark.

The short version:
- they dumped their old CEO
- new CEO isn't a complete shitstain
- new CEO implemented exciting new policies like bundles deals that actually offered a discount, and maybe the games they write should be fun
- new edition of 40k launches, broadly embraced, brought a lot of new blood in and old blood back in
- GW gets a decent social media team, starts announcing products like an actual company
- relaunches grand tournaments and competitive play
- does fan feedback surveys and then acts on the results
- new sisters of battle coming end of next year (for example)
- Age of Sigmar slowly made less poo poo
- Points and everything!
- Lore starts improving as they fill in the blanks
- do a lot of listening to feedback and actually changing stuff
- lots of new factions with kickass models (sea elves, steampunk dwarf airships, new khainites, etc)
- new edition coming with cool new skaven ghosts and even the sigmarines are getting interesting
- best financial year ever last year
- they've improved it again this year though official numbers aren't out yet, lots of people getting hefty bonuses

tl;dr GW slowly meets the basic threshold of acceptable industry practice, makes a shitload of money

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.
Some people would sell their birthright to a whole pseudo-Europe full of fancy-hatted landsknechts for a bowl of sea turtle soup.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

Nuns with Guns posted:

Yeah pretty sure hyphz was making a weird sex joke, not being sarcastic

Er, no. It was a half joke about “if you’re ok with killing your wife’s PC and she’ll be fine with it because the rules (that you picked) said you could, then ok, but otherwise....”’

Basically, if the social context and agenda would overwhelm any rules, then the rules don’t matter.

hyphz fucked around with this message at 16:49 on May 29, 2018

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Why do people keep giving hyphz the benefit of the doubt :sigh:

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

It's been a wild ride, y'all, but it was all worth it.

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL
:goatsecx:
What if the map tells you to kill your wife?!

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Anniversary posted:

What if the map tells you to kill your wife?!

The Fall of Magic in your relationship.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
Well, ok, more seriously, it's going to depend a lot on what her actual interest in getting into RPGs was.

If you try to introduce someone, known to you or otherwise, into RPGs who doesn't otherwise like nerdy hobbies, then there's always a risk that they ask things like "If we can be anything we imagine, why can't I just be King?" "Why do I have to work my way up through levels before I can have fun, when I'm not getting anything in real life?"

No rulebook can possibly resolve those kind of objections, that challenge even the use of any rules at all.

Maybe that wouldn't apply in this case, I have no idea, I don't know the person. But it's always a good idea to have an idea of what their context for being interested in RPGs is.

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL
:goatsecx:

hyphz posted:

Well, ok, more seriously, it's going to depend a lot on what her actual interest in getting into RPGs was.

If you try to introduce someone, known to you or otherwise, into RPGs who doesn't otherwise like nerdy hobbies, then there's always a risk that they ask things like "If we can be anything we imagine, why can't I just be King?" "Why do I have to work my way up through levels before I can have fun, when I'm not getting anything in real life?"

No rulebook can possibly resolve those kind of objections, that challenge even the use of any rules at all.

Maybe that wouldn't apply in this case, I have no idea, I don't know the person. But it's always a good idea to have an idea of what their context for being interested in RPGs is.

Play a game that lets you start as a king if that's what she wants? Like there are plenty of games that work around both those objections...

But yeah, asking them what type of story they want to explore is solid advice that could inform what kind of games should be suggested, that's a really good point.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Zapf Dingbat posted:

Microscope might be a good starting point, it doesn't shine at two players but it's very rules light so it wouldn't be a big commitment.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

hyphz posted:

There's games that work fine with either of those?

And if you do just want to tell stories together there's relatively and almost totally freeform systems, or just... freeform RP.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Splicer posted:

Why do people keep giving hyphz the benefit of the doubt :sigh:

I am redeemed.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

hyphz posted:

If you try to introduce someone, known to you or otherwise, into RPGs who doesn't otherwise like nerdy hobbies,

Did the poster say she’s new to RPGs or nerdy hobbies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

Subjunctive posted:

Did the poster say she’s new to RPGs or nerdy hobbies?

He didn’t. But he did say he wants to “start gaming with the wife” which implies that she hasn’t gamed before and that he is selling it to her rather than vice versa (it wasn’t “the wife wants to start gaming with me”) which put me on alert for what I posted above.