Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

but i do have to do bees for the misty world portal

gently caress

i got no idea why the first beequest said to make 23 beehouses, it's not explained and that's a bit worrying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

but i do have to do bees for the misty world portal

gently caress

i got no idea why the first beequest said to make 23 beehouses, it's not explained and that's a bit worrying

yeah that is why they start you on bees super early, so you can do it as a background task while you're fuckin with other stuff

and you need the bee houses to build the multiblock for the bee attractor, you should have gotten a blueprint from Modular Machinery at some point for it

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

yeah i forgot about that, and have just rediscovered it in the Trash Chest

god drat fuckin' bees will i never escape these drat things

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

if it makes you feel any better, i think you only ever need two of those exoria jelly things and then you're done forever

though i have only just unlocked the second-to-last quest line so i can't guarantee that

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Bees might be a decent option for resource generation since resource generation seems so slow via other methods anyway.

Unless you hate bees.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

McFrugal posted:

Unless you hate bees.

Literally everyone hates bees?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Literally everyone hates bees?

literally everyone who is sane anyways

yet they keep appearing in mod packs, like kudzu

from this, the transitive property of bee-sanity-dissonance, we can imply that modpack developers are insane

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Blightfall: I have a full leadstone energy cell and a pulverizer. I put them adjacent to each other. The pulverizer doesn't get power. How do I get the juuse from the cell to the machine?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Ariong posted:

Blightfall: I have a full leadstone energy cell and a pulverizer. I put them adjacent to each other. The pulverizer doesn't get power. How do I get the juuse from the cell to the machine?

Open up the leadstone energy's cell GUI, find the side configuration tab on the right. Open that up, and click the face corresponding to the side that the pulverizer is on until it is orange. Orange is out, blue is in.

Syka
Mar 24, 2007
sum n00b or wut?

Ariong posted:

Configure the sides of the energy cell to output (orange) instead of input (blue).

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I like Rustic's bees.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

I guess I’m insane then. Bees are my fondest memory of the FTB server my friends and I played on back in...2012? I’ve been on the lookout for another game with a similar simple breeding mechanic ever since. Pocket Frogs is really the only thing that’s come close, or at least the only one that’s worth a drat.

That said, I understand that they are incredibly overused and, being luck-based, make for a frustrating gating mechanism. I would only ever want them as an option, not a requirement.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

hey i got this water sluice set up, but it starts hurting me at random when i'm near it and not wearing special hard-to-craft clothes?? and also it occasionally just sort of dies through no fault of my own and requires a herculean effort to upgrade

- the world that minecraft modpack developers actually want

(bees as an option is fine though)

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

thinking on it (why did i think on it) bees appeal to the player that wants stuff that grants them free resources forever with no upkeep or thought beyond the initial setup

see also: solar power, EE

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

thinking on it (why did i think on it) bees appeal to the player that wants stuff that grants them free resources forever with no upkeep or thought beyond the initial setup

I enjoy those things and hate bees.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I don't hate bees, so long as they're not a major part of the pack. I can just kindof occasionally tend to a bee crossbreeding project, labeling things carefully with signs so I know what I was doing when I get back to it. That's fine. Slow, and usually of dubious benefit, but fine.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Aren't bees unbelievably tedious to get going? Free resources forever is nice and automating free resources shouldn't be an easy thing you can do in the early game but getting that sort of thing set up should actually be a fun and neat thing to do. Maybe it's a building challenge. Maybe it's basically a logic puzzle involving machines. Every time I think to myself "now I will try bees!" it never works out that way. I just find other stuff to do and never get around to bees.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Aren't bees unbelievably tedious to get going? Free resources forever is nice and automating free resources shouldn't be an easy thing you can do in the early game but getting that sort of thing set up should actually be a fun and neat thing to do. Maybe it's a building challenge. Maybe it's basically a logic puzzle involving machines. Every time I think to myself "now I will try bees!" it never works out that way. I just find other stuff to do and never get around to bees.

they are... unless you have gendustry, then it's just "stick two types of bee together, get new kind, then wait for it to die in an apiary" ad nauseum

it becomes exactly as engaging as making 512 IC2 solar panels so you can squash them together into a single magic box that gives you power if it's daylight out

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Bees aren't unbelievably tedious so long as you're seeking mutations in parallel(optimally, multiple types of mutations so you don't have redundant bees afterwards), and have a line of bees with good genes to breed into your new mutation. It still takes a while but the parallelization speeds things up considerably.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I've never actually done bees, but how does it compare to magical crops, because stuff like this:

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

is why I really, really dislike that particular mod.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Potsticker posted:

I've never actually done bees, but how does it compare to magical crops, because stuff like this:

is why I really, really dislike that particular mod.

once you've created a stable bee line with a pristine stock bee, it lasts functionally forever and vends free resources constantly

the only upkeep is replacing frames in an apiary, and you don't even need to do this if you make an alveary

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i vastly prefer bees to magical crops like goddamn it's not even a competition

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Wait uh how do you avoid getting set on loving fire by the Hot Bees in Exoria? It's not like you can make an apiarist's suit.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

McFrugal posted:

Wait uh how do you avoid getting set on loving fire by the Hot Bees in Exoria? It's not like you can make an apiarist's suit.

Put the apiary at a safe distance. Welcome to Bees.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Put the apiary at a safe distance. Welcome to Bees.

Oh I know how to deal with not having a suit. I was expecting some equivalent Exoria item though, since you can't even get Tropical bees.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

McFrugal posted:

Oh I know how to deal with not having a suit. I was expecting some equivalent Exoria item though, since you can't even get Tropical bees.

Ah, nope, nothing like that. Hot bees are the only ones that sting I think.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
At least the chickens have a bizarre premise built in for comedy

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

and a hideous mod interaction with astral sorcery to make them nearly instantaneous to grind

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Ah, nope, nothing like that. Hot bees are the only ones that sting I think.

Hot bees sting and set you on fire. Ash bees set you on fire.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Johnny Joestar posted:

i vastly prefer bees to magical crops like goddamn it's not even a competition

How come?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
For anyone playing the new Thaumcraft: I understand the Eldritch tab isn't finished yet, but for some reason a very early research topic, I think Alchemical Metallurgy, is tied to it by including a necessary step in researching void metal, which you can't do yet. But again, Alchemical Metallurgy is very early. It has to be discovered before you can even unlock the entire Artifice tab. All alchemical machines are gated behind it.
Am I missing something? I understand an endgame topic like Eldritch research locked and unfinished, but I don't understand hooking it in to such an early and vital topic that prevents completing it, especially when existing content is just past it.
E: It appears I was missing something. Maybe I didn't need to get through every step of it, just the first few? I guess that's meant to be left unfinished? Even then it still looks like it's gating other discoveries that are already implemented.

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 11:27 on May 27, 2018

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
Just spent a couple of hours* making a remarkably lovely automated resource generator using an Actually Additions atomic reconstructor with a lens of the miner. A Tiny Progressions cobblestone generator feeds cobble into an AA powered furnace, which is smelted then pushed into an AA placer. Once my base's energy storage is nearly full, some redstone stuff triggers the atomic reconstructor and an AA breaker in sequence.

This is in Age of Engineering, where everything is expensive, so the whole setup is held together with hoppers (and hopperducts for the final products) and some awful vanilla redstone.

It works a treat though, giving me an ore for free every... 70 seconds or so :v:

Worth it.

* I initially prototyped a setup using Integrated Dynamics, tossed that out and wired up a control circuit using Super Circuit Maker, then realised that I didn't even need that and could do it in normal redstone.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Vib Rib posted:

For anyone playing the new Thaumcraft: I understand the Eldritch tab isn't finished yet, but for some reason a very early research topic, I think Alchemical Metallurgy, is tied to it by including a necessary step in researching void metal, which you can't do yet. But again, Alchemical Metallurgy is very early. It has to be discovered before you can even unlock the entire Artifice tab. All alchemical machines are gated behind it.
Am I missing something? I understand an endgame topic like Eldritch research locked and unfinished, but I don't understand hooking it in to such an early and vital topic that prevents completing it, especially when existing content is just past it.
E: It appears I was missing something. Maybe I didn't need to get through every step of it, just the first few? I guess that's meant to be left unfinished? Even then it still looks like it's gating other discoveries that are already implemented.

You're using an early version of the beta, probably one of the 1.10 versions, maybe even the first beta release by the sounds of it. That was fixed at some point though. Don't use the latest version though, it crashes your client when you use salis mundus.

Edit: :wtf: There was a big thing about that being changed, for exactly the reason you're talking about. The alchemical stuff it gates off requires thaumium, not voidmetal.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 15:43 on May 27, 2018

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Black Pants posted:

You're using an early version of the beta, probably one of the 1.10 versions, maybe even the first beta release by the sounds of it. That was fixed at some point though. Don't use the latest version though, it crashes your client when you use salis mundus.

:shrug:

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
You can't "finish" that research but the only things locked behind that stage are void metal golems and essentia smelteries. Just don't worry about it.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
I mean, essentia smelteries are pretty important, you basically can't do any of the cool infusion poo poo, which is very much functional, without them.

If you don't want to wait for the Eldritch research to be implemented, just do /tc research <playername> METALLURGY to grant yourself the required research to get past that particular roadblock.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

so after a bunch of loving around and talking to the exoria modpack developer, i figured out how the misty world works

near as i can tell the misty world is made by a russian developer and there is absolutely no documentation at all except for a chinese website that is only scantly populated with info

but here's how it works

you'll want slime boots, a diamond-tier pickaxe (the flexible tools are fine), a slimesling, and your warp stone on your hotbar

you'll zone in and be accosted by drones, they are not particularly dangerous but they drop iron and redstone which is nice

the first thing you want to do is find the edge of the cliff down into the mist, wait for night, then look for Niobium ore (it's sort of white) and mine five of those

then make a niobium pickaxe and two respirators

the mist is poisonous so don't go any deeper down until you get some protection (that is next)

now look on the top of the bluffs for filter coal, and mine it with your niobium pickaxe, get a bunch of it

hold each respirator in your hand, open its gui, and load it up with a piece of filter coal, then go into your inventory and click the rectangle just above the helmet slot, which will open up a fifth armor slot that you can put your respirator in (or you can wear it as a hat, whatever)

once you've equipped a respirator, you'll see a tenth hotbar slot that shows your respirator's filter coal status, keep an eye on that when you're down in the mist

the reason you made two respirators is so you can prefill the second one with a fresh piece of filter coal and just swap out the whole respirator rather than taking it off, opening the GUI, filling it with a new piece of filter coal, and putting it back on

now make sure you've got your respirator on and your slime boots on, and jump the gently caress down into the mist

down here you're looking for two things: misty gravel (use conversion wand + magnet ring + cobble or gravel to mass mine this stuff and take it back to sift for ender pearl dust, nickel, and easy aluminium) and foggy sponge mushrooms, which are tall multiblock plants mostly found in the lower swamp biome

once you find the foggy sponges, don't cut them down, but pillar/slimesling on top of them and see if they've got an orange pool in the top

if they do, right click it with an empty hand to harvest the poison extract, which you need later

later on you can come back and use a watering can to farm this stuff real good if you want, you need it to progress

when your filter coal starts to be almost gone, swap your respirator out and load the old one with a new piece of filter coal, and when you're all done, use your warp stone to gently caress off back to your base

rinse repeat until you've got enough gravel/poison extract to open the next dimension

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

near as i can tell the misty world is made by a russian developer and there is absolutely no documentation at all except for a chinese website that is only scantly populated with info

modding.txt

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

The essentia smelteries aren't locked behind full completion of that theory, even though there's an arrow. It's fine, you're good, research towards the top of the page to get the other arrow lit up to unlock the smeltery.
TC6 is weird in that sometimes you only need to reach a specific stage of a research to unlock something behind it. Azanor is probably going to change that, it's unintuitive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingLemming
Jan 1, 2013

fuck gregtech

Evil Mastermind posted:

Is this the first time a dev has removed an intermediary step for being pointless?

I don't think so, no. It's just rare to see devs admit bad design decisions (and it's hard for us to see them sometimes). But I'm not sure it's fair to call it entirely pointless. It's a machine that with some refinement could also possibly do some useful things as well and not just pump out specific crafting items.

If anything, the Solderer's real sin was that it existed because RS was in many ways a copy of AE, which had the Inscriber. But this is a good change, certainly.