Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

CharlestheHammer posted:

Storytelling cuts both ways yeah.
You're really dedicated to this bad posting gimmick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
The only time I'd buy the main character losing his main gimmick is Hunter x Hunter, and that has technically stuck for (perhaps intentional or unintentional) reasons.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Fabricated posted:

You're really dedicated to this bad posting gimmick.

Your really bad at this. Trying forming arguments instead of flailing about.

Momomo posted:

The only time I'd buy the main character losing his main gimmick is Hunter x Hunter, and that has technically stuck for (perhaps intentional or unintentional) reasons.

To be fair despite how much I love Hunter it coped out too, at least partially.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

CharlestheHammer posted:

Your really bad at this. Trying forming arguments instead of flailing about.
:thunk:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Ignoring the obvious troll, I will say that I do like Idas reasoning for going even if I found what’s her name,creation quirk, kind of weak. Like they couldn’t really come up with a reason for her so they just shrugged their shoulders and said the plot has to move somehow.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM
Without Yaoyorozu they'd have literally no idea where to go.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Shadowlyger posted:

Without Yaoyorozu they'd have literally no idea where to go.

I agree?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

The emotionality-over-reason thing is fine for Kirishima and Midoriya, and if Iida and Momo do what they're saying they're going to do it makes sense for them. I don't really understand Todoroki's motivation for doing this outside of maybe viewing missing saving Bakugou by an inch as some sort of personal failing he has to correct- or just highlighting he still believes the words he said when he argued with the police chief after the Stain incident... which basically kinda means he didn't learn much from it but they're kids so eh.

I kind of wonder if they'd stay home if they knew the utter murderer's row of heroes participating in the raid. It's like half the top 10, a bunch of heroes approaching that, and the police. It'd basically be like someone telling them, "Yeah a group of B-lister villains that probably wouldn't make a good Suicide Squad kidnapped your friend, but we're sending the entire Justice League to get them back", then deciding, "I dunno if they can handle this. What if we just go along anyway and don't tell anyone?"

Also kinda surprised no one ratted them out, but then the plot doesn't happen. :shrug:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Ida seems like the kind of character to rat them out but they have kind of lessened his gimmick hard from his original appearance. Which you can wave away with friendship or whatever.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Fabricated posted:

The emotionality-over-reason thing is fine for Kirishima and Midoriya, and if Iida and Momo do what they're saying they're going to do it makes sense for them. I don't really understand Todoroki's motivation for doing this outside of maybe viewing missing saving Bakugou by an inch as some sort of personal failing he has to correct- or just highlighting he still believes the words he said when he argued with the police chief after the Stain incident... which basically kinda means he didn't learn much from it but they're kids so eh.

Eh, I feel like a big part of Todoroki's thing is actually not being as composed and intelligent as he tries to put on. Him being as frustrated as Deku and Kirishima are doesn't feel terribly out of character to me - as does him thinking that he's tough enough to make a difference against a bunch of pro villains.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

e: I'm blind

Zomborgon fucked around with this message at 22:42 on May 26, 2018

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

He’s got a boner for the rules but also cares about his friends much more. He’s upset because he sees his friends making the same mistake he did, which both breaks the rules and puts them in massive danger, and feels they haven’t properly learned the lesson that he did from stain.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

JahRoo posted:

He’s got a boner for the rules but also cares about his friends much more. He’s upset because he sees his friends making the same mistake he did, which both brakes the rules and puts them in massive danger, and feels they haven’t properly learned the lesson that he did from stain.

Which is why he should turn them in instead of enabling them.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I am confident that my good smart friend Iida will keep that dumb boy Deku from doing anything too dumb.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Zomborgon posted:

Yo, your manga knowledge is showing in the second paragraph, dude.
Eh? They showed all the heroes headed to the meeting with All Might and even Endeavor got called. That's #1 and #2 right there.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Fabricated posted:

Eh? They showed all the heroes headed to the meeting with All Might and even Endeavor got called. That's #1 and #2 right there.

Yeah but we don’t really know why

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

Eh, I feel like a big part of Todoroki's thing is actually not being as composed and intelligent as he tries to put on. Him being as frustrated as Deku and Kirishima are doesn't feel terribly out of character to me - as does him thinking that he's tough enough to make a difference against a bunch of pro villains.

Well, let's be honest. He probably is.

I mean, he's still a first year, and he managed to trade blows with Stain without getting trashed. There were a lot of veteran heroes who didn't manage that.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Fabricated posted:

Apologies, I just went through the last two episodes, twice now, just to make sure and missed that somehow.

Maybe it's because they did events in a bit of a weird order for this whole sequence.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

CharlestheHammer posted:

Which is why he should turn them in instead of enabling them.

He was frustrated being stuck in the main building at the camp during the attack, right alongside Kirishima.

He's the same guy who charged head-first into a losing battle with Stain to avenge his brother.

I don't think Ida disagrees with them at all, he just wants to protect them the same way they protected him from Stain, regardless of what he's actually saying.

e: I'm saying it's totally consistent with who he is as a character to simultaneously be arguing from a position of reasoned authority, while acting like an impulsive super powered child.

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 22:48 on May 26, 2018

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

There's a lot of "do as I say, not as I do" going around.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Sure because they’re all teenagers and learning to make good decisions by first making bad ones is part of growing up

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

JahRoo posted:

Yeah but we don’t really know why

i feel like we can make a pretty good educated guess

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

JahRoo posted:

Sure because they’re all teenagers and learning to make good decisions by first making bad ones is part of growing up

Though they are explicitly not doing that.

They are just making the same bad decisions over and over again.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

chiasaur11 posted:

Well, let's be honest. He probably is.

I mean, he's still a first year, and he managed to trade blows with Stain without getting trashed. There were a lot of veteran heroes who didn't manage that.

I mean, he's really good, but I don't think he'd hold up very well if it comes to a fight that isn't one-on-one, especially if the quirk matchup is less favorable than Stain's. Remember, Todoroki's powers' gave him a huge range advantage over Stain, and he still would have absolutely gotten killed multiple times in that fight if not for Deku and Iida coming out of paralysis at key moments. Granted, most villains aren't as skilled as Stain, but most of them also aren't as dependant on getting in point-blank either. Look how much trouble Todoroki had with tooth-guy - and I don't think he would have done THAT much better if he hadn't had to worry about accidentally starting a forest fire.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Shere posted:

He was frustrated being stuck in the main building at the camp during the attack, right alongside Kirishima.

He's the same guy who charged head-first into a losing battle with Stain to avenge his brother.

I don't think Ida disagrees with them at all, he just wants to protect them the same way they protected him from Stain, regardless of what he's actually saying.

e: I'm saying it's totally consistent with who he is as a character to simultaneously be arguing from a position of reasoned authority, while acting like an impulsive super powered child.

I mean, Iida doesn't disagree with them in the sense of wanting to help Bakugou but I think he does legitimately disagree with going after dangerous villains while recovering from grievous injuries. He's just soft and Deku's his friend and serious about this so he's letting him off the hook. I don't think he's the guy being impulsive.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
There has to be at least an element of impulse to it because otherwise the only reasonable course of action is to rat them out.

There's a whole theme of the dichotomy of heroism being presented. Other people (doctors, teachers, pro-heroes, friends) have a duty to safeguard the well being of those under their care. They have to tell you to do the thing that's in your best interest, because that's their job. Meanwhile, to act as a hero is to disregard those directives - highlighted by the two All Might quotes that got dropped (interfering in things beyond your means, and moving without thinking).

I mean, think about how the doctor acted. "Yeah your arms are a couple of smashes away from being worthless noodles. Quit it. Great job saving that kid, though".

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 23:20 on May 26, 2018

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

They're making Iida's bad decision, and the reason he doesn't feel like he can stop them is because he made the same one. Their positions are reversed, and he knows he wouldn't have been able to convince himself to change course before the stain incident, so instead he's putting himself in a position where he can be there and try to protect his friends, rather than turning them in and preventing that mistake from happening at all.

I'm not saying that he shouldn't be turning them in, but I also don't really think it's a plot hole that a kid is being dumb to avoid pissing off his friends even though he's normally a huge nerd about poo poo like this.

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i feel like we can make a pretty good educated guess

He's not dropping spoilers, but he's referencing affirmatively something that anime watchers might think is going to happen but don't know for sure.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
This entire incident really seems to be about how the teachers hosed up. Due to the circumstances of the camp attack it is hard to say what else they could have done to protect the kids, but they definitely should have been talking with 1-A after the attack to help them process what had happened.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah they're teenagers

And humans

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah they're teenagers

And humans

I mean I was responding to a post that says they are learning from their mistakes

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

CharlestheHammer posted:

Ultimately, that's because experience is teaching Deku the opposite of what people are telling him. He ignored the warning about slime guy, and was given One For All. He turned back at USJ and saved All Might. He went off on his own and saved Iida from Stain. He turned back in the final exam and beat All Might and rescued Bakugo. He went rogue at camp and saved Koto and Tokoyami and came within inches of saving Bakugo again. If he doesn't keep making those "bad decisions" then All Might, Iida, and Koto at least would all be dead, and he wouldn't even have a quirk at all!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

jng2058 posted:

Ultimately, that's because experience is teaching Deku the opposite of what people are telling him. He ignored the warning about slime guy, and was given One For All. He turned back at USJ and saved All Might. He went off on his own and saved Iida from Stain. He turned back in the final exam and beat All Might and rescued Bakugo. He went rogue at camp and saved Koto and Tokoyami and came within inches of saving Bakugo again. If he doesn't keep making those "bad decisions" then All Might, Iida, and Koto at least would all be dead, and he wouldn't even have a quirk at all!

Yeah MHA has kind of hosed up messaging.
hell did Ida get punished for what he did at all.
I think UA might be a bad school

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

He got a seemingly debilitating arm injury.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

SyntheticPolygon posted:

He got a seemingly debilitating arm injury.

Lucky for him he is a kick man. So that doesn’t really matter

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
They got spared for their "Potential" but the pros that were mentoring them got hit with punishments. Like Gran Torino losing (or I think just suspending) his hero license I think (lot of good that did, btw).

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Ularg posted:

They got spared for their "Potential" but the pros that were mentoring them got hit with punishments. Like Gran Torino losing (or I think just suspending) his hero license I think (lot of good that did, btw).

Teaching license, actually. Not that he planned on teaching ever again.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Deku getting told "stop punching, if you do it again it'll mess your arms up" feels kinda weak because uh, that's basically exactly what he was told last time. But, he did it again, and the actual consequences for it are being pushed forward again. It's a little lame, and defangs the importance of those warnings.

Teenagers making dumb decisions is fine and normal, but a bunch of their peers saying "look, this is a bad idea, and here's many reasons why" and them saying "you're right. It is a bad idea, and I can see that. But I'm going to do it anyway, despite knowing and agreeing that I shouldnt." Makes the "they're just being dumb, normal teenagers" thing fall a little flat.

The pathos in this episode was pretty good though

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
To be fair to Deku, he didn't really have any other options against Muscular. It wasn't his pride or reputation on the line this time, it was the life of a little kid.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Zwiebel posted:

This is really just a fakeout because Momo wanted to go shopping with her friends and she's leading them on a wild goose chase.

I hope it's this so hard and the kids end up doing nothing of consequence this next arc, letting the heroes/Bakugo do what they need to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

CharlestheHammer posted:

I like that the whole training camp was pretty much the result of the UA faculty openly admitting they don't think they can protect the kids. I mean, it's not an unreasonable concession to make in the face of your enemy being a terrorist group whose goal is to disrupt Hero Society and being in possession of a dude who can just teleport people on top of you but that's still a big thing to admit as the premier school for heroism.