Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

Lifehack: Don't make some poor guy slave away to make your food just because you are a lazy piece of poo poo.

what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

restaurants in czechia are actually still operated under slave labor due to an archaic law that was never removed from the constitution, kinda hosed up imo

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Just lmao if u didn't replace your oven with a dominos conveyer belt and learned to cook all your recipes in exactly 11 minutes and 45 seconds

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Likehack: Don't listen to anything steinrokkan says, he's a loving idiot with bad opinions.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Picnic Princess posted:

Eat your own shed skin flakes and hair. They're everywhere and they're free!

Turn your body into a perpetual motion machine.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

HOLY gently caress posted:

let's face it, most of us using electric probably don't have a choice otherwise

at least I don't :smith:
Yeah, I have an electric range and I hate it. Given the choice, I can't imagine anyone choosing electric unless they were woefully unaware of what it's like to cook on anything else.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Just lmao if u didn't replace your oven with a dominos conveyer belt and learned to cook all your recipes in exactly 11 minutes and 45 seconds

lol if u don't live right next to a dominos so when u don't feel like cooking on your great gas stove u can just get good carryout deals within minutes

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Jyrraeth posted:

My home City has gas heat for most stand alone houses, but most people have electric ranges/stoves. However, I knew someone who's parents had their outdoor grill hooked up to the house line.
This is pretty common around here in CT.

edit: gas grills hooked up to the house line.

GWBBQ has a new favorite as of 05:32 on May 27, 2018

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

steinrokkan posted:

Lifehack: It doesn't matter what heat source you use if you boil all your food.

That sounds like my grandmother. Everything she cooked was cooked to hell. In a good way, but still cooked to hell. All meat was rinsed and wrung out until it was gray. Then you boil the crap out of it in wine and other things.

It always tasted awesome. Electric was perfect for her. Crack 'er up to high and boil the crap out of it. If you do it right, it works.

All the connective tissue breaks down. Don't serve it right away. After it's done, put it on low for a billion years. You're shooting for a temperature right in the danger range; blood warm is a good target. The meat just falls apart. Even better, let it sit out on the stove over night with the burner off. Even better.

The best stews are just a little rotten. YMMV.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Was it hard to get in your grandmothers house or did she tell it to kneel down whenever you visited?

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Barudak posted:

Was it hard to get in your grandmothers house or did she tell it to kneel down whenever you visited?

How close you are. She was born in Croatia. You don't say Baba in Croatian though. It's Baka or Bako. She was ethnic German so we used Oma. Our family is Donauschwaben.

However, we always wondered why she had such a big mortar and pestle.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
B b b barbako

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7lFCMyfkic

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

GWBBQ posted:

Same here, and I'm stuck with electric.

I live half a mile from a major gas pipeline and my neighborhood has no service :(

Sounds like an easy lifehack to just make your own tap into the pipeline, a half mile isn’t very far.

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."
To be honest, I like cooking on gas, but gas is kind of a pain to own. If you don't live somewhere with a pipeline, you need to have tanks refilled and as someone who has had some absolutely poo poo gas stoves, pilot lights can sometimes be a pain. Cleaning is worse than electric and a hell of a lot worse than induction. They are nice, but the convenience factor makes me prefer induction. I am not cooking at a level where I need the benefits of gas, and if I want to roast some peppers or something on a flame, I do in fact own a grill.

Lifehack: To cook your food faster, invest in a muffle furnace and cook all your food at 1200 Celsius.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

MrAptronym posted:

To be honest, I like cooking on gas, but gas is kind of a pain to own. If you don't live somewhere with a pipeline, you need to have tanks refilled and as someone who has had some absolutely poo poo gas stoves, pilot lights can sometimes be a pain. Cleaning is worse than electric and a hell of a lot worse than induction. They are nice, but the convenience factor makes me prefer induction. I am not cooking at a level where I need the benefits of gas, and if I want to roast some peppers or something on a flame, I do in fact own a grill.

Lifehack: one-burner butane stoves are like 20 bucks. The fuel bottles are 2 bucks and last a surprisingly long time. Hit up a camping shop or an Asian grocery store.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
If you live somewhere with a gas line and have a gas stove, you also have an apocalypse alarm. If no gas is coming out of the mains, you can be reasonably sure that civilization has collapsed.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Or if you live somewhere with a Waffle House, they serve coffee, at least, as long as they have any electricity/gas. If the Waffle House is closed, well, you're probably already dead or wishing you were.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Chillbro Baggins posted:

Or if you live somewhere with a Waffle House, they serve coffee, at least, as long as they have any electricity/gas. If the Waffle House is closed, well, you're probably already dead or wishing you were.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waffle_House_Index

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

This is very unsettling.

Also those camp stoves own. Like 80% of my food is cooked on one.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I don’t follow. Are they saying you’re supposed to cook the noodles or whatever inside the strainer and just lift it out of the pot when done?

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

You put the strainer in the put, and put it upside down over the sink to let the water go out without the noodles.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I thought you pour the pot into the strainer, then serve the noodles out of the strainer. Its how I was raised.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

they do make strainers you can clip or otherwise hold onto the pot and tip the water out but idk why you'd need to leave sad plain pasta in the pot unless you're dumping cold jarred sauce on it

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Whenever I mix the spaghetti and the sauce it always seems to lose some of its flavor the next day, so I leave them seperate.

When I don't it all in one sitting oh my god I have no willpower or self-control somebody help me

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
LIFEHACK: EAT ALL THE FOOD IN ONE SITTING SO YOU DON'T HAVE TO BOTHER WITH LEFTOVERS OR LIVING INTO YOUR 40'S

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I thought you pour the pot into the strainer, then serve the noodles out of the strainer. Its how I was raised.

That's what I've always seen. Sauce stays separate because everyone has different preferences on how much sauce should be on it.

When I'm cooking for myself I just tilt the pan until most of the water is out then dump in some sauce because gently caress it, I'm going to eat it straight out of the pan anyway.

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

I always save some of the pasta water, like 1/3 cup, and add it back to the noodles. Helps the sauce stick.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

That's what I've always seen. Sauce stays separate because everyone has different preferences on how much sauce should be on it.

When I'm cooking for myself I just tilt the pan until most of the water is out then dump in some sauce because gently caress it, I'm going to eat it straight out of the pan anyway.

Pasta is served in a strainer that has been laid on some paper towels on the kitchen counter. Also on the counter is a freshly opened jar of sauce and a canister of parmesan cheese. Possibly an open bag of salad is sitting on the counter as well, with some italian dressing in a squeeze bottle beside it. All dinner participants serve themselves from the counter and take their plates into the living room where everyone is eating and watching a network TV comedy. That is how a pasta dinner is done!

Teriyaki Hairpiece has a new favorite as of 06:45 on Jun 4, 2018

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

My God, I can taste the Italian dressing. Can we slice up a supermarket "baguette" and smear some chunks of cold butter on it, too?

I have been thinking about getting a gas range since seeing how close the gas line is to the back of the stove in this house (about 8 inches, through an interior wall). But I like the idea of getting one of those little butane burners first, just to see how I like it compared to induction.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Propane burners are even better, because with a simple adapter hose you can hook them up to the cheap as hell 20 lb. tanks.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Scathach posted:

This is very unsettling.

You live in a bus, I'm not sure your experience is typical.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

GWBBQ posted:

This is pretty common around here in CT.

edit: gas grills hooked up to the house line.

All the convenience of propane, except now you can forget to shut it off until the gas bill comes in!

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Scathach posted:

This is very unsettling.

How did that can opener end up working out for you?

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
These tips are great, but where are all the life hacks for used pasta water? Pouring that starchy thirst quencher down the sink seems so wasteful!

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Just like hot dog water, you freeze it into ice cubes and put in drinks of visiting people you don't like

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

uvar posted:

These tips are great, but where are all the life hacks for used pasta water? Pouring that starchy thirst quencher down the sink seems so wasteful!

I always add a couple of spoonfuls to the sauce, it pulls everything together nicely.

Not really a lifehack, but I'm sure you could use it to lubricate door hinges or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS