Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
I want to hear more from the McGiggins the creepy as gently caress eugenics/abort the untermensch poster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Cleretic posted:

If we're redistributing the ABC, can we have one station that's just devoted to the real fuckin' good comedies that got made for it? Because I feel like that's the thing that the ABC does real well that it never gets credit for. I straight-up can't think of a good Australian comedy that wasn't on the ABC.

Offspring

naeka
Sep 1, 2008

Cleretic posted:

If we're redistributing the ABC, can we have one station that's just devoted to the real fuckin' good comedies that got made for it? Because I feel like that's the thing that the ABC does real well that it never gets credit for. I straight-up can't think of a good Australian comedy that wasn't on the ABC.

Life Support! Penne's pov was far too influential on my teenage years.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

naeka posted:

Loved that show!

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
This is NOT the rimworld thread and I am no longer breeding battleturtles.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Also coights all aussie adventures is good dumb fun for the whole family.

It does good for a culture to be able to laugh at itself, imo.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-27/murray-darling:-state-plan-to-give-irrigators-water-free-for-all/9763106

quote:

Irrigators in New South Wales are set to receive vast new licences to take water from the Murray-Darling Basin, handed out for free under a state proposal that some say will undermine the national $13 billion plan to save the country's most important river system.

Taking water out of rivers in the basin requires a licence, but currently, when that water spills out over land during floods in NSW, it has been free for the taking.
Irrigators have been allowed to build vast earthworks to funnel flood water into enormous dams without requiring licenses, or even any measurement.

Their proposal is to hand out free licences to formalise however much irrigators have taken in the past. That means whoever managed to take the most will receive the biggest share of licences.
Those that get the new licences will be allowed to sell them to others and if there are changes to the regime, irrigators would need to be compensated for any reduction in entitlements.
Free water to whoever was rich enough to be taking it already

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
And free money to them if they sell the free licences for taking in the first place?

How is that fair or economical?

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

GoldStandardConure posted:

Or just give two to David.

:colbert:

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Shorten killing it right now.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

lmao

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

What the gently caress

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

his political career hopefully

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

naeka posted:

Ditto

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

The Peccadillo posted:

What the gently caress

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Killing what? What's happening this Sunday?

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

AgentF posted:

Killing what?

it

idiot

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Ray Martin used 'n-word' during SBS live coverage of royal wedding

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Hahahahaha

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Cool, he should run for senate now.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Margaret > David

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Margaret kept getting arrested for screening banned films, but David had spooks assigned to him in the eighties for screening Soviet films, so they are tied

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Were they good films?

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

McGiggins posted:

Were they good films?

russian cinema is the best cinema

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I feel like there's less to be said about the fact somebody said the N-word on live TV, and more to be said about the fact that the fact that we were so saturated with royal wedding poo poo that nobody cared about that you could drop the N-word, twice, during the coverage and nobody notices for over a week.

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

think tank makes me want to kill myself as well, who green lighted it

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Cleretic posted:

I feel like there's less to be said about the fact somebody said the N-word on live TV, and more to be said about the fact that the fact that we were so saturated with royal wedding poo poo that nobody cared about that you could drop the N-word, twice, during the coverage and nobody notices for over a week.

I'd like to know what kind of context it was in, because it has to be crazy.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

I'd like to know what kind of context it was in, because it has to be crazy.

https://amp.smh.com.au/entertainment/tv-and-radio/ray-martin-used-n-word-during-sbs-live-coverage-of-royal-wedding-20180524-p4zhce.html

quote:

Martin repeated the slur while telling a historical anecdote about Prince Philip, known for making racist remarks and other inappropriate comments, using such language while touring Nigeria.

The story was told in a bid to point out how the wedding of Prince Harry to Meghan Markle, who has African heritage, signifies a shift in racial attitudes by the British royal family.

Nick Enfield, a professor of linguistics at the University of Sydney who researches the use of language in social interactions, says that while "mentioning" a racial slur in the context of someone else saying it is different to "using" it yourself, uttering the word during a live TV broadcast was unnecessary and showed a lack of sensitivity.

"Without question it should have been done differently. You don't say things that are offensive on a national broadcast," Professor Enfield said.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

Cleretic posted:

There might be some overlap between monarchists and people who use the word in everyday language

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Thread as usual blowing this up like he grabbed Markle by the neck and bellowed n bombs in her face.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

JBP posted:

Thread as usual blowing this up like he grabbed Markle by the neck and bellowed n bombs in her face.

The racist defender has logged in.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

JBP posted:

”white men should be able to use all the slurs they want”

-thread favourite JBP

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

JBP posted:

Wishing McGiggins would practice eugenics on your posts.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

He was guilty of being insensitive while old but his point was valid. Not everyone sits on social media monitoring the woke commentariat 24/7.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Kinda jumped the gun on the smug 'smartest-person-in-the-room' posts this time, guy. No-one's even called for a sacking yet

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

He missed opportunities to note that Markle is a shining example of fine mixed heritage womanhood which was disappointing.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I have no idea why Ray thought it was appropriate to drop the actual word but he was reporting on language the new Princess' grandfather in law used

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

MysticalMachineGun posted:

I have no idea why Ray thought it was appropriate to drop the actual word but he was reporting on language the new Princess' grandfather in law used

He thinks he's a hard hitting journalist living in 1988

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

MysticalMachineGun posted:

People burst with excitement at the opportunity to say it in an acceptable context

• Locked thread