Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

<vigilante>

I don't think Crawler even needs one anymore. tbh he never really needed a mentor so much as he needed an example

Captain Celebrity could fill that role for a story beat if he gets pressed (which if we're about to hit Noumus he definitely will be) and has to actually be cool instead of a shithead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it'd be kinda weird to have noumus in vigilantes considering nobody even know what the hell they were the first time they showed up in mha proper

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

well, prototype noumu, anyway. and i'd argue that nobody knowing what they are makes them perfect to pop up a little in vigilantes

do we know how long before MHA starts vigilantes is set? it seems the events of MHA have to start happening eventually, not that they have to be particularly relevant

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I really want it not to be that tbh. Vigilantes can stand as its own thing without such a connection.

Patware posted:

do we know how long before MHA starts vigilantes is set?

It has to be a fair number of years prior I think, because by the time MHA starts Aizawa has already been an infamous teacher for years.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

they'd have to just not ever mention the noumu for it to work, even as a prototype. unless it looks so different that you couldn't peg it as a noumu in the first place but that's an odd choice

I think they showed iida as a little kid at some point so it's gotta be a few years before deku meets all might

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Around 5-7 years

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
It could be that whoever these villains are end up making something similar to but not quite a noumu only for the League of Villains to end up stealing their research after the Vigilantes take them down.

Rhonne fucked around with this message at 04:33 on May 27, 2018

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Oh wait I just remembered

Kild posted:

Around 5-7 years
it has to be less than 5 years because AM has already fought AFO

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Patware posted:

I'm assuming this is leading up to the invention of Noumu.

Na, this is only a few years before MHA proper, and AFO was doing that back in his heyday.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Kamui's quirk is pretty ridiculous; it seems to effectively be like a better and more flexible version of Todoroki's ice powers.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Haven't read the new vigilantes, but I couldn't sleep so I watched the most recent ep and ... Yeah the whole Dabi being endeavor's kid kinda makes sense. When shiggy was talking about how all the VA people have been held down by people, rules and heroes, the camera went to dabi, toga, and spinner.

Kinda makes sense that dabi's backstory is a shithead genetic-supremacy (likely)rapist (definite)abuser keeping him down/mentally and physically abusing him because he only had fire for a quirk, but it was a strong fire quirk.

Dunno if the anime thread or this was was talling about it, I'm super tired but can't sleep.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I was thinking the same thing. It's a pity all the Noumu we've seen so far have been next to useless, for all the effort being put into them they don't hold up well under pressure.

The Noumu are powerful, but they keep getting sent against even more powerful opponents, so they keep losing. If the kids were the ones fighting them they'd be screwed.

That's the interesting thing about the Noumu: they're implied to be stronger than the named, human villains (aside from OfA, of course) but they're less narratively important.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Haven't read the new vigilantes, but I couldn't sleep so I watched the most recent ep and ... Yeah the whole Dabi being endeavor's kid kinda makes sense. When shiggy was talking about how all the VA people have been held down by people, rules and heroes, the camera went to dabi, toga, and spinner.

Kinda makes sense that dabi's backstory is a shithead genetic-supremacy (likely)rapist (definite)abuser keeping him down/mentally and physically abusing him because he only had fire for a quirk, but it was a strong fire quirk.

Dunno if the anime thread or this was was talling about it, I'm super tired but can't sleep.

Honestly, I noticed that, too, and I was trying to figure out if it was intentional or not. It also begs the backstories of Toga and Spinner if so.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Manatee Cannon posted:

I think it's more that losing his powers was a real blow to mirio emotionally and he doesn't want to get his hopes up just yet. plus using eri's powers must be a complicated feeling for him after the last arc too

mirio had it really rough last arc

Well, Eri was also there. I don't think anyone wants to make Eri think (again) that she's to blame for Mirio losing his powers or that it's her responsibility to restore them when that might not even be possible.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
noumus only work if all for one is around to stick quirks into them, which is the sole reason they were created at all. for normal, unmodified people with complete skulls getting multiple quirks doesn't work so great. without multiple quirks, what's the advantage over an unmodified villain?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm watching the anime and the anime thread makes me want to scream because it seems like everyone is just assuming Deku's going to keep punching people in the rescue arc. Every part of me wants to yell "give the show a chance before judging it jeez" but I really shouldn't.

This is the first time I've ever read a manga ahead of just binge watching a show so I feel Very Cursed

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I wonder if the League of Villain's even have nomus anymore after their factory was destroyed and All for One was captured. We haven't seen anymore since then, right?

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'm watching the anime and the anime thread makes me want to scream because it seems like everyone is just assuming Deku's going to keep punching people in the rescue arc. Every part of me wants to yell "give the show a chance before judging it jeez" but I really shouldn't.

I'm pretty sure that's everyone in this thread.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Could be worse you could be a manga reader doing the same thing like Charles

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kild posted:

Could be worse you could be a manga reader doing the same thing like Charles

Charles is always worse. It hardly seems worth bringing up at this juncture.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Rhonne posted:

I wonder if the League of Villain's even have nomus anymore after their factory was destroyed and All for One was captured. We haven't seen anymore since then, right?

I would guess the doctor has some on hand. He's probably the one doing the physical modification after all. Also, Gigantomachia kind of feels like he'll be a "living" Noumu.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

This is the first time I've ever read a manga ahead of just binge watching a show so I feel Very Cursed

Yeah I'm going through that as well. Not sure why I keep reading the anime thread tbh

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

LostRook posted:

I would guess the doctor has some on hand. He's probably the one doing the physical modification after all. Also, Gigantomachia kind of feels like he'll be a "living" Noumu.

Oh yeah, the doctor, I wonder if we're ever going to get back to that plot point?

boredsatellite posted:

Yeah I'm going through that as well. Not sure why I keep reading the anime thread tbh

I like reading their reactions to the cool stuff that happens. I can't wait for All Might vs All for One!

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Yeah I'm super hyped for All Mights big fight

Hoping to relive "HES GOING TO DIE???" memories when this thread got to it :v:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

symbolic posted:

Honestly, I noticed that, too, and I was trying to figure out if it was intentional or not. It also begs the backstories of Toga and Spinner if so.

Well from what we know of those 2 (probably not everything but still), Spinner is an outcast from society due to being a big fan of a crazy serial killer and murderer and Toga doesn't belong in society seemingly due to being an actual serial killer who targets people she has crushes on or something (I think that's what was implied)? And I kind of hope that partially stays the case because I really enjoy how the VA is made up of people bonded by their feelings about how society abandoned them or didn't accept them with some having rather sympathetic and understandable grievances, others having warped motivations from tragic backstories, and yet others just being actual terrible murderers. It's fun and interesting.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

To be fair he was going to try doing that before Iida stopped him.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Yeah I'm super hyped for All Mights big fight

Hoping to relive "HES GOING TO DIE???" memories when this thread got to it :v:

That fight would’ve been perfect if All Might bit it there

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

It would have been perfect if AFO also died with mirrored reactions from Deku and Shiggy but since AFO was just captured I think All Might dying would have been a bad move so I'm glad it didn't happen.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I'm also excited to see the dorm room show off scenes animated.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I finally caught up to the manga for the first time right in the middle of the All for One fight, and I highly recommend the experience

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

All for One, how did you get forum access

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

TheKingofSprings posted:

he did

only toshinori remains...

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Terper posted:

All for One, how did you get forum access
I should have known, when All for One stole my shitposting quirk, that this would happen

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
I was honestly more impressed that a mentor/predecessor character was kept alive instead of taking the easy "blaze of glory" out.

And given what All Might has been to the story since then, I'm glad he stuck around.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Anyone who thinks All Might should have died is a villain and should be reported to the police

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

They are now dissing DekuMom which is just unforgivable.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Hunt11 posted:

They are now dissing DekuMom which is just unforgivable.

What the absolute gently caress?

Deku "Midoriya Inko" Mom is a wonderful person, what do they have against her?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

What the absolute gently caress?

Deku "Midoriya Inko" Mom is a wonderful person, what do they have against her?

I think I can see how the audience could be annoyed with Inko. It's one thing to harbor doubts that your kid can realize their dreams; sounds messed up but really it's important that someone in the family is a realist. It's another thing to tell a kid to their face that their dream is impossible. By itself, that's not enough to really dislike Inko. She was just a heartbroken mother who couldn't stand to watch her son put himself through what he had.

I think the audience, having gone through that, now has to watch as Deku's mom comes at her son from the other side. He wanted so dearly to achieve this dream, he found a way to do so after his mother had given up on it, and now that he's living that dream she's calling it into question because it's getting dangerous.

I like Inko's depiction, frankly. She's handled pretty darned well, and I can totally relate to her worries and fears when Deku sneezes and explodes all his bones. That said, it would not surprise me if some viewers just wanted 100% shonen battles all the time, and are annoyed that Deku and UA's actions have consequences.:v:

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

One of the anime's strengths is its blazing-fast pacing but I genuinely hope we get a cliffhanger in the middle of the AfO fight and the episode ends with everybody believing in All Might, because that's still one of the (if not the) most powerful moments in the entire story so far and it will drive people crazy for a week.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
watching the anime really makes it clear how absolutely overwhelming the hero society's force and numbers is, you practically have to elbow superpowered state police out of your way to cross the street

shigaraki is a tremendous underdog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Shinjobi posted:

I like Inko's depiction, frankly. She's handled pretty darned well, and I can totally relate to her worries and fears when Deku sneezes and explodes all his bones. That said, it would not surprise me if some viewers just wanted 100% shonen battles all the time, and are annoyed that Deku and UA's actions have consequences.:v:

That's my issue though. People complaining about their being no consequences to Deku's actions yet are quite willing to ignore just how horrifyingly scarred his right arm is getting or the fact that his own mother who has done her best to support him now is starting to beg him to stop following his dream because she quite rightly fears what it will do to him.