Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Zodd running like a cat is so cute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
In this month I've read up to volume 18 and purchased the other 20 volumes today before the sale on Comixology ended.

What I'm trying to say is I like Berserk.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Thanks for the quality translation. I'd like to read all the EG translations because my original experience was inconsistent due poor scans and bad translation.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Shugojin posted:

Every time he shows up I am struck at how incredibly crazy Griffith's eyes look. I wonder just how many times Miura redrew them before he felt like he really nailed them.

I’m pretty sure they’re literally modelled on a hawk’s eyes.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I finally finished reading through Berserk and am caught up with everyone. Here's my NUCLEAR HOT TAKE: this manga is pretty good.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

This page in particular from 355 just devastated me.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I can never settle on which era of Mirua's art is the best as they all kind of have their own pros and cons. The current may be a little too - what's a good word, clean-cut and polished all the little deformaties and edges that previous years had. But then a particular panel hits you like a loving freight-train instead of just a brick house.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Miura’s art is still god tier, but I miss when Guts was sexy ruffian like Rutger Hauer in Flesh & Blood instead of looking like handsome Squidward

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
The technical skill of all those drat lines is off the loving charts, and I love the environment art, but something about how he draws people feels kind of off to me these days. It was especially apparently to me during the Rickert interlude, where everyone seemed kind of floaty.

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

wretched single ply might as well use my socks

Crabtree posted:

I can never settle on which era of Mirua's art is the best as they all kind of have their own pros and cons. The current may be a little too - what's a good word, clean-cut and polished all the little deformaties and edges that previous years had. But then a particular panel hits you like a loving freight-train instead of just a brick house.

I don't think I'll ever truly appreciate how much work he's put into his art throughout his career. He puts so much thought into the framing and technical skill that it makes reading through everything so comfortable, the flow very enjoyable that I often forget how amazing the art is. Miura also being more than talented enough to tell a story with body language and good facial expressions alone will always make me thoroughly enjoy his work.

I really liked the parallel in those last few panels between Guts and Griffith. Griffith's bondage for his actions lead him to become crippled from a year of torture, his body completely useless, all done by the hands of men. Gut's bondage from his armour is also destroying him, but not before he brings down as many beasts as his will allows.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

His new art is all about beautiful lips and eyelashes

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
Looks like we are indeed getting another chapter in two weeks.

Going forward it'll still always be safer to assume hiatus than not, but it's heartening to see Berserk being published "regularly" (actually every other issue) without the pre-set dates that accompanied the six-chapter bursts over the last few years.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
In all the years I've been following this series, I've never seen Mirua do more than 5 chapters in a row. Even if it is just more Griffith this is some seriously cool poo poo.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I wanna give him a hug for being my best bud

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I want more Rickert.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

So LordMune, I have you to thank somewhat for this as a wonderful translator.

I got told to read Berserk last Thursday, by Saturday I was through. I don't think i've read anything quite at that level of sheer speed and to the lack of any other activity.

What I'm saying is I now really love Berserk.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Haha you should've spread it out...I regretted reading the whole thing over the course of a few weeks.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I took like an eight month break 70% through the manga for no reason to simulate the authentic Berserk experience. :colbert:

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

StealthArcher posted:

So LordMune, I have you to thank somewhat for this as a wonderful translator.

I got told to read Berserk last Thursday, by Saturday I was through. I don't think i've read anything quite at that level of sheer speed and to the lack of any other activity.

What I'm saying is I now really love Berserk.

:unsmith: hold on to that feeling of happiness

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I'm a fair bit behind berserk but not entirely sure where. I know they'd got to the fairy island and started talking to the people on it. What chapter do I need to read to catch up?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Jose posted:

I'm a fair bit behind berserk but not entirely sure where. I know they'd got to the fairy island and started talking to the people on it. What chapter do I need to read to catch up?

Start from around 340-345.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

https://www.reddit.com/r/Berserk/comments/8l9mhr/berserk_chapter_357_korean_scans/

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

mmm wow that's gonna be a bitch to translate

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.
So that's Griffith jumping off horseback while the horse is jumping off Grunbeld's back so he can skewer a giant right through the eye.

If I wasn't so invested in Casca's current situation, that would be the coolest thing ever. It's still pretty cool, I just really want to get back to some quality character development.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

In a certain sense this is actually worse than if we were just on hiatus

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Poor hydra...

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Rodyle posted:

In a certain sense this is actually worse than if we were just on hiatus

Maybe this is what Miura draws when he is on hiatus to cool off and his editors just decided to print it.

Elijah Snow
Dec 10, 2006

some-something man
I'm kinda liking this more than the previous arc w/ Casca etc. Kickass art, no dialogue, feels good.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

#357 is actually #356 part two.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Both are like 10 pages. Was there any doubt?

Not that I am complaining.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
I was hoping the troll king would give Griffith at least a bit of a fight. Dude's just showing off.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

I just want to say that I think it's rad you guys include fanart with the translations, some of it's real good.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

LordMune posted:

#357 is actually #356 part two.

You guys are all the best

Woebin posted:

I just want to say that I think it's rad you guys include fanart with the translations, some of it's real good.

Mangastream's fanart choice for other series is very very miss and rare hit.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Josuke Higashikata posted:

You guys are all the best

Mangastream's fanart choice for other series is very very miss and rare hit.
Oh, that's Mangastream adding it? I thought it was the scanlation team putting that stuff in there as sort of bonus content.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Woebin posted:

Oh, that's Mangastream adding it? I thought it was the scanlation team putting that stuff in there as sort of bonus content.

Mangastream, bless their hearts, is doing most of the grunt work these days. The Evil_Genius team (that's me and our translation checker and our cleaner/typesetter-turned-proofreader) handles the translation and script polish while the Mangastream team handles cleaning and typesetting of the scans. And also online reader publishing, which is when they add fan art as they see fit -- the EG torrent releases do not include the fan art.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Miura's Hydra is probably the worst monster design he's ever done. Derpy and fat and terrible and I'm not thrilled to see it reappear.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Mangastream always adds fanart. For most other series, I hate it, but I feel blessed that Berserk has a lot of truly spectacular fanart to choose from.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

7c Nickel posted:

Miura's Hydra is probably the worst monster design he's ever done. Derpy and fat and terrible and I'm not thrilled to see it reappear.

Yeah, that was one goofy looking hydra. Doesn't help it went down like a chump either.

I wonder if this whole aside is leading to anything or if Miura just couldn't resist drawing Griffith again.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

agreed, hydra wasted perfectly good chance to look like monster made of dicks, 2/10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

7c Nickel posted:

I thought the goofyness was kind of...endearing?
It's an interesting looking design v:shobon:v
But these past 2 chapters have been terrible. Not so much for content, because it's essentially like a latter day bleach chapter except much faster, but because we can finally see the end of Broken Casca, and BOOM! Griffith Bomb.