Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

holocaust bloopers posted:

Internships are huge.

I'm about to do my first one. I am really hoping I don't come off as jaded.

edit: One of the doggos, old picture, but edited it recently. Looking for photos of my father in law

Soulex fucked around with this message at 19:31 on May 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

This was my first semester solely focusing on my major and minor. Pulled a 2.93 after doing three chem classes, 1 math class, and 10hr/wk research lab. Not too thrilled with myself.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Lol I almost failed out this bitch my second year here, I wish I could hit a 2.9 in a bunch of math and hard science classes

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I'm doing an internship this summer that I landed last October. It has nothing to do with school since I'm already graduated, but cultivating several connections I made at school is what helped me land it. I'm pretty confident that I will get a full-time offer in late August when the internship ends. I will immediately become the highest paid person in my family and for some reason several of my family members think less of me for that.

They assigned me a mentor and he is taking me out to dinner on the company's dime tomorrow night. I figured we would go somewhere like Applebee's where it's like $15/plate.

Nope. Ruth's Chris. We're going to fuckin' Ruth's Chris and I'm about to eat the most expensive steak I've ever had. I could get used to this lifestyle.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I got to eat at that place as a "Welckme Home!" Thu g fro. Depmoy.wnt.

Im jealous

Edit: holy poo poo. Welcome home thing from deploying

Soulex fucked around with this message at 20:40 on May 17, 2018

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

It may not be interracial, but it is black and white.

boop the snoot posted:

Nope. Ruth's Chris. We're going to fuckin' Ruth's Chris and I'm about to eat the most expensive steak I've ever had. I could get used to this lifestyle.

Report back how you liked it. Every single time I've eaten at an expensive steakhouse I have been sorely disappointed. I went to the Ruth's Chris in NoVA around 10 years ago and never went back. I ordered a steak medium rare and it came out dry and well done. Sent it back and the next one was still overcooked.

At Morton's in Phoenix I ordered a rib-eye and ended up a bit overcooked and I had to cut off so much gristle that I lost half the drat steak.

When I spend that much money for a steak I really expect something a better than what I could get at any other chain restaurant for a quarter of the price. If I am looking for a nicer dining experience in the city I'll go to Fogo de Chao or a nice Japanese steak house.

Soulex posted:

I got to eat at that place as a "Welckme Home!" Thu g fro. Depmoy.wnt.

Do you smell burnt toast?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Delizin posted:

Report back how you liked it. Every single time I've eaten at an expensive steakhouse I have been sorely disappointed. I went to the Ruth's Chris in NoVA around 10 years ago and never went back. I ordered a steak medium rare and it came out dry and well done. Sent it back and the next one was still overcooked.

Will do.

Honestly I don’t expect the greatest steak ever. It’s just kind of a landmark moment that shows how much progress I’ve made in life since hitting rock bottom at the end of 2012.

:feelsgood:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
the Ruth's Chris in NoVA is where I ate the best steak of my life at. Maybe I just haven't had many good steaks but goddamn, I still salivate at the thought of that steak.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

the best steaks i ever had were the ones my dad made because they were made by my dad

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

DoktorLoken posted:

Nice. And here I am about to graduate with a Geography/GIS degree worried about where I’ll wind up. At least I’ve got a paid internship with a large utility company.
I applied for several GIS positions with utility companies and only got one phone interview. Then I got a GIS market analysis internship that turned into a full time job. I'll probably stick with them for at least a year after this deployment is over, but then will probably want to move on because they're stingy with pay.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

the best steaks i ever had were the ones my dad made because they were made by my dad

Or my father in law before he passed

MrDesaude
Sep 10, 2013

Have you tried lighting incense and praying to the Omnissiah?

boop the snoot posted:

Will do.

Honestly I don’t expect the greatest steak ever. It’s just kind of a landmark moment that shows how much progress I’ve made in life since hitting rock bottom at the end of 2012.

:feelsgood:

Preach man, I got out in 2004 before there was this big network of support laid out. got out thinking what I learned as a 68W was going to get me doing the same poo poo in the Civ world, and was pretty much laughed out of the medical field. (This was before the military medical training shared accreditation with Civ schools, Did lifeflight poo poo when I was in and they're like "Nah, you can be an EMT-B!") I tried school back then but I was still hosed up and nowhere near ready for school. hosed it all up and was adrift and angry all the time because I missed the Army. (I missed my guys, the Army can eat my rear end.) There is no better feeling than climbing that mountain after falling off the cliff and hitting the bottom.

If for nothing else than to stick it to the people who were poo poo to you while you made the climb.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Guess what? They still don't share accreditation!

gently caress the army. At least, mostly.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
The number of accepted credits from USAF TTS and Army AIT schools totaling 1.5 years?

Nine.

Number accepted in my educational path? Fuckall. Seems drunken exercise, self extraction from a shithole and camouflage dick-sucking don't appear in very many civilian educational hierarchies.

I have another 1.5 years that I haven't submitted yet. Once I progress to the real kollege; I hope they take something.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Don't count on it. Cochise College gave me 30 credits and an AAS in ~Intelligence Operations Studies~ (lol) as part of a military/civilian accreditation program during AIT. Cochise is an actual public community college in southern AZ but the credits are either in weird military specific poo poo or just occupational in nature. My university accepted a bunch of them on my transcript but they count towards nothing except for the max undergrad credit limits for tuition and financial aid.

Other news, I passed all my classes. A, B, B-, C+. Not the greatest but eh, I don't care at this point. My graduating GPA will still be well over 3.0.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Booger Presley posted:

The number of accepted credits from USAF TTS and Army AIT schools totaling 1.5 years?

Nine.

Number accepted in my educational path? Fuckall. Seems drunken exercise, self extraction from a shithole and camouflage dick-sucking don't appear in very many civilian educational hierarchies.

I have another 1.5 years that I haven't submitted yet. Once I progress to the real kollege; I hope they take something.

Yea that’s about right. After nearly completing a CCAF plus some college courses, my school accepted enough to take off half an academic year.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

My college made me send them my CCAF transcript even though all the credits that were worth anything were already transferred into my real associate's degree.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

The CC I was at gave me 0 credits and I had to fight not taking a 'health' class over a year since Navy boot camp isn't as intensive as Marine boot camp, even though I deployed with Marine infantry as a Corpsman.

Transferred to a four year and they magically take 11 credits that only count to my financial aid cap.

What I'm saying is the military will always find a way to gently caress you no matter how far you think you're done with it.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

poo poo I got 30 credits from TESU. Thomas Edison State University is actually pretty good if you're looking for just online stuff. Good enough that my college accepted half my AA from them.

edit: Just finished my 3rd final. One more to go. Even if I bomb it, I should pass. I can't wait.

Soulex fucked around with this message at 23:21 on May 21, 2018

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

SUCK MY DICK FROM THE BACK IM loving DONE WITH THIS SEMESTER!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Love to learn that my VA person at school hosed up and now I owe VA $1300

Edit : and not so much as a loving apology

mods changed my name fucked around with this message at 09:32 on May 27, 2018

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
So I'm feeling inspired by McNally...

Email i received

quote:

Chris,

Good afternoon. During my end of the semester transcript checks, I discovered that I certified you for 13 credits for Spring 2018. You dropped INTR-250L and I did not report the reduction to 10 credits. I am reporting the reduction today and that will create a debt with the VA. The BAH for full-time is $1385 and for 10 credits it is $1108. That means you were overpaid $277 per month. I would estimate your debt to be $1108. It will take the VA at least 30 days to process the overpayment and once you receive notice from debt management you can pay in full or make payment arrangements. Please call me if you have any questions

Draft I'm working on, may be a bit dramatic and I'll probably cut the court part. I'm just mad af because she didn't do her job and would at the very least give her a migraine when I cc anyone that I can think of lol

quote:

I must to admit that this is fairly distressing. I'm curious as to what actions College Name is planning on taking to rectify the undue financial hardship that this will place on my family due to the admitted error of one of their employees, namely you, in this case. 

Secondly, while I appreciate that you sent an email to apprise me of the situation, I still feel that I'm maybe owed at the very least some sort of basic apology, rather than the seemingly uncaring email that this is in response to. 

I'd like to think that College Name cared more about the disabled veterans that attend courses, and hopefully bring some much needed diversity of experiences to campus, however, it appears that my trust in the school has been misplaced. 

As I'm currently overseas it may take me awhile, but barring any sort of action by College name , I intend to seek some sort of financial recompense from either the institution, through either small claims course or by any other legal means which may present themselves. 

Have a fine day, 
Chris 

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Hillary Chris’ Thong

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
If you threaten to sue, most colleges' standing policy is for employees to cut off communication immediately and refer you to a lawyer. So I wouldn't mention it unless you're actually about to sue, in which case just do it and don't warn the fuckers.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah i changed it a bit to be less threatening in that regard because it was pretty silly

It changed into more of a "please apologize and tell me how you intend to prevent this to happening to other students in the future" sort of thing. I just want them to feel some sort of discomfort or annoyance

Edit : because I'm sure I signed something that says "tough poo poo"

Edit 2: I appreciate the feedback though, thanks dude

mods changed my name fucked around with this message at 15:22 on May 27, 2018

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
If your school is anything like my school the VA office doesn’t actually have the ability to monitor real time add/drops. So their policy is students report their current credit load to them and they update the VA pay system. If you didn’t tell them you dropped a class mid semester and they caught it in their post semester audit welp.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
It was dropped before the drop date at the end of the first week and it's not been a problem doing that the past several semesters. If they need me to inform them then maybe they should like, put that out there idk

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
All I want is like a loving fake apology or even an explanation like that would be fine other than like, "you owe 1100 good luck"

Like idk i guess being a veteran im supposed to just expect poo poo like that and that's not really right, you know? To be treated with just a little courtesy and respect as a paying student. Pointless crusade just to make someone pretend to give a gently caress about others for like 5 seconds is all this is. I know it's dumb and pointless, believe me.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

mods change my name posted:

To be treated with just a little courtesy and respect as a paying student.

Hahahahahaha

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
gently caress the world gently caress your school gently caress that office and gently caress that employee send the letter :bahgawd:

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

McNally posted:

Hahahahahaha

It's hilarious I know

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

mods change my name posted:

It's hilarious I know

No, I mean the idea of a university caring about a student.

It's absolutely a lovely situation and I didn't mean to make light of that. Sorry this poo poo's happening to you, man.

Hopefully the VA will work with you on a repayment plan.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
I mean i get that. I may be idealistic but I'm not a loving retard.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

My school gives priority registration for vets

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The issue is you went from full time (12 hours or more) to 10 hours. If you went from 15-12 it wouldn’t have changed anything. Since you dropped to 10 you’re no longer a full time student.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Mr. Nice! posted:

The issue is you went from full time (12 hours or more) to 10 hours. If you went from 15-12 it wouldn’t have changed anything. Since you dropped to 10 you’re no longer a full time student.

If you overload every quarter you wouldn't have to worry about this.

I can't register cause I have a medical hold for MMR a year after starting and the health center is sitting on my paperwork. If I was only doing one degree I wouldn't even have to worry about this.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

My counselor is working with me to continue my desire for education beyond my BA. She basically said that at our location, graduate programs are really hard to get ok'd. I will have to basically leverage my experience from my internship against my disabilities to claim that I am in need of further education to bypass the "entry level" jobs I would only be qualified to do so. It would also allow me to teach, providing another vocational outlet.

Does anyone have experience with this?

Also, did it ever definitively come out that Chapter 31 did count towards the GI Bill? I need to show her if it does not because she says it does and Voc Rehab recalculates your months of GI Bill after graduating. If it doesn't, I can easily convince her to let me extend my education benefits to 48 months, and use my GI Bill.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

So far I've gotten an A+, an A-, and ROTC is an automatic A. I also got a A from the winter session that counts for the spring semester. I'm waiting on two professors to turn in grades, of which I'm expecting a B from one. The other is anything from B+ to A because that's how up in the air that professor is.

That's a pretty strong showing for the Columbia admissions folks right? I think this poo poo might work out.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Viva Miriya posted:

So far I've gotten an A+, an A-, and ROTC is an automatic A. I also got a A from the winter session that counts for the spring semester. I'm waiting on two professors to turn in grades, of which I'm expecting a B from one. The other is anything from B+ to A because that's how up in the air that professor is.

That's a pretty strong showing for the Columbia admissions folks right? I think this poo poo might work out.

Wait why are you in ROTC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

TheQuietWilds posted:

Wait why are you in ROTC

Because at this point a full ride contract is the only way I can think of to avoid 6 figure debt, assuming this ivy league pipe dream becomes reality.