Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It’s just slow. I really only use it for overnight charging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

7.5W is the fastest it'll go. No, it's not fast in general. It's more meant for a trickle charge than a fast charge. You want that, you have to get a USB-C PD adapter. And have to plug it in, unfortunately.

Uh, if you really want to know more about your wireless charger, you can get coconutBattery for the Mac, and then when your iPhone is connected and charging, it'll tell you what kind of power it's getting. I have a Samsung "fast charger" and my iPhone reports 6W. It is what it is.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

So I got a wireless charge pad (an Anker) and connected it to a 2.4A charger, but I charged my X with it for the first time last night and it went ridiculously slow. It's a cool feature, but is there a way to wirelessly charge as fast as I can plugged in with a lightning cable on a 2.4A charger?

Should I have gotten a better charge pad or something?

It's just not a very efficient way to charge devices. As long as your expectation is in line with the long charge times, it's really awesome.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
The Qi standard does go up to 15W (though the specs on the 8/X say they only support 7.5W) so faster wireless charging on a future iPhone is possible, but it’ll still be slower that what you can achieve by plugging it in (not to mention a lot less efficient; wireless charging only has like 75-80% efficiency).

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It’s really awesome because you can wake up in the morning and not rip the drat plug out when you pick up your phone.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

fordan posted:

(though the specs on the 8/X say they only support 7.5W)

This isn't an "Apple says X but realistically it can do 2X" thing though. They shipped with 5W, a software update upped it to 7.5W, and you're not going to get more, it won't negotiate more.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Pivo posted:

This isn't an "Apple says X but realistically it can do 2X" thing though. They shipped with 5W, a software update upped it to 7.5W, and you're not going to get more, it won't negotiate more.

Thus “on a future iPhone.”

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Missed that. DISREGARD. Sorry.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

fordan posted:

Thus “on a future iPhone.”

Future iPhones will be even thinner with even smaller batteries so you won't need faster Qi charging.

It's like Apple decided "about a day" was the right amount of battery power and all future OS optimizations, CPU efficiency, and battery improvement technology will go towards thinner phones that get "about a day" of battery life. But the batteries will probably charge faster since they'll be smaller.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I have Qi chargers on my nightstand and on my home and office desks. They are for places I intend to be for awhile so they can just charge slowly and I don't care. If I need a quick charge, I plug into my USB-C iPad charger.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Ah, alright. Thanks for the answers y'all. I've got the pad on my computer desk at home, so it's more useful for just leaving the phone on there to charge while I'm using my computer or playing PS4 or something.

It doesn't really need to go lightning fast (lol), but it's still neat to have.

When I first put it on the pad and it started charging, I audibly gasped. It was like the first time I used Apple Pay. I know some Android phones have had this ability for a while, but this is the first phone I've ever owned that's had that feature.

The X's battery seems crazy good anyway. I've been charging it like once a day since I got it with no issues.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 00:21 on May 27, 2018

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

The X's battery seems crazy good anyway. I've been charging it like once a day since I got it with no issues.

It's really sad how that's considered 'crazy good' in iOS land

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

dissss posted:

It's really sad how that's considered 'crazy good' in iOS land

For what it’s worth my iPhone X lasts about a day and a half and my Android buddies get less than that but it’s really silly arguing about this. Battery life is killed by screen on time, brightness and CPU usage. Flagships from the market leaders all target about “one day usage”. Like if you charge it at night you’re going to be fine. If they find efficiencies in the screen they boost the energy usage of the SoC etc just to maintain that one day.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Rubiks Pubes posted:

one is a Belkin and the other is a no name thing.

hmmmmmmmm

I just dropped $1,000 on me phone but let me find the cheapest accessories imaginable lmao

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
If you have an iPhone 3GS or 4S* sitting in a drawer somewhere, you can now officially downgrade it back to a more age-appropriate IOS version.
Won't make it any more useful, but it will be faster if you do have to use it.

3GS can be downgraded to IOS 4.
4S can be downgraded to IOS 6.

*Dunno why 4 is stuck on crappy 7.

iPad2 can also be taken down to 6.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

hmmmmmmmm

I just dropped $1,000 on me phone but let me find the cheapest accessories imaginable lmao

Let me rephrase. It has a name. It’s not a major product manufacturer. It has great reviews on Amazon. It was like $5 cheaper than a “big name” one that did not have as good of reviews.

The Belkin one was a gift.

Neither of them work well- despite the Belkin one not being in the “cheap” category.

Also Anker one was cheaper than both and works great!

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

~Coxy posted:

If you have an iPhone 3GS or 4S* sitting in a drawer somewhere, you can now officially downgrade it back to a more age-appropriate IOS version.

How badly does this impact app support? Or does it let you download appropriate versions of those too?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

This is terrifying

https://twitter.com/campuscodi/status/999905024644825095?s=21

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Surprisingly it is very difficult to sell a smartphone for $50 without loading it full of poo poo to mine data. Who would have guessed?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I’m completely guessing that’s limited to poo poo like the free Government phones for the homeless and such

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Pivo posted:

For what it’s worth my iPhone X lasts about a day and a half and my Android buddies get less than that but it’s really silly arguing about this. Battery life is killed by screen on time, brightness and CPU usage. Flagships from the market leaders all target about “one day usage”. Like if you charge it at night you’re going to be fine. If they find efficiencies in the screen they boost the energy usage of the SoC etc just to maintain that one day.

I dunno, I got way better battery life on my Nexus 6P than I do on the iPhone 7 Plus that replaced it.

In my experience iOS has great standby battery if you don't let it do anything, but once you actually start using the phone it starts dropping hilariously quickly.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

The same Nexus 6P that had the big early shutdown problems? The same Nexus 6P that is infamous for fast battery drain?

I mean, ok, if you got a good example and got lucky ... but it's a pretty funny device to use as an example of good battery performers.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

dissss posted:

I dunno, I got way better battery life on my Nexus 6P than I do on the iPhone 7 Plus that replaced it.

In my experience iOS has great standby battery if you don't let it do anything, but once you actually start using the phone it starts dropping hilariously quickly.

I agree with this. The standby battery usage is much much lower than on Android, but my iPhone SE seems to discharge the battery under usage much faster than my old Nexus 5x.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Pivo posted:

The same Nexus 6P that had the big early shutdown problems? The same Nexus 6P that is infamous for fast battery drain?

I mean, ok, if you got a good example and got lucky ... but it's a pretty funny device to use as an example of good battery performers.

Even with the early shutdown issue (which is why I replaced the phone) I generally saw better battery life than I do with the 7 Plus with an allegedly 94% healthy battery.

I'm not using it as an example of good battery, just better than what I'm stuck on now.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Heh, my girlfriend's 7+ runs forever. Never seen that thing die early. It's 2900 mAh which I think is the biggest Apple put in an iPhone, even the 8+ and X have smaller batteries. The 6P is like 3450 mAh, so it'll heat up a resistor for longer than the 7+ battery, but iOS is known for being slightly more battery efficient so in practice I would expect the iPhone to last longer. I believe you! Not sure why you're having such bad luck with the 7+ though ...

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21

~Coxy posted:

Do you have a link or more information on this? I have an ipad 3 and it runs like garbage on whatever os version it’s on now.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

e.pilot posted:

How badly does this impact app support? Or does it let you download appropriate versions of those too?

Never gone back to IOS 4, but on IOS 6 you can download older versions of particular apps.

mike- posted:

Do you have a link or more information on this? I have an ipad 3 and it runs like garbage on whatever os version it’s on now.

ipsw.me

Check what is being signed for your device. 99% of the time it's the latest version available only.
As far as I can tell it's only those 3 devices which get a second option, and it's only recently this has happened. Dunno why.
iPad3 is SOL.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

drat. I was hoping I'd be able to get something older for my son's OG iPad Mini. No dice.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
It’s rare that my iPhone 8 will need to be changed during the day, I can easily get 6
hours screen on time.

My LG V20 would start begging for a charge at around 4 hours of screen on.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
My SE and 8 almost always last the entire day on one charge. I almost never drop below 20% in the course of one day unless I really heavily use it or do lots of streaming over data.

I know a lot of you are adamant about "don't janitor your phone" but I think it really does help to turn off a few things like background app refresh and some location services that you don't need.

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
How difficult is it to replace the battery on iPhone 6 by myself? FYI the screen has been replaced once already by a third party.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Pivo posted:

Heh, my girlfriend's 7+ runs forever. Never seen that thing die early. It's 2900 mAh which I think is the biggest Apple put in an iPhone, even the 8+ and X have smaller batteries. The 6P is like 3450 mAh, so it'll heat up a resistor for longer than the 7+ battery, but iOS is known for being slightly more battery efficient so in practice I would expect the iPhone to last longer. I believe you! Not sure why you're having such bad luck with the 7+ though ...

As I said, in my experience iOS is only more efficient if you don't actually use the phone for anything.

A busy Exchange account makes bugger all difference on Android (probably because when phone does so much in the background anyway) but is catastrophic to battery on iOS. Things are even worse if use something that polls for location fairly often.

Also not having any way to charge in a reasonable amount of time really sucks - even if you use the iPad charger it's still slower than it should be.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

nervana posted:

How difficult is it to replace the battery on iPhone 6 by myself? FYI the screen has been replaced once already by a third party.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/How+to+Replace+Your+iPhone+6+Battery/29363

It looks a little tedious if you're familiar with working on cell phones and have the tools but not too bad overall. If you've never opened a cell phone and don't have tools or want to learn a new skill then consider having someone else do it.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
SE battery life has been letting me down lately. Went into the city the other night, making a point to have a full charge when I left. I had my phone on battery saver mode most of the time and still somehow got down to single digit percents by 11pm. Especially stressful since I had electronic train tickets purchased via the LIRR app.

According to Settings my battery health is 82% but I dunno man. I think I'll try setting up my phone as new since I've been carrying this backup around since 2012.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Updating or rebooting will probably fix this, but current my 6 shuts the screen off whenever I cover the light sensor above the earpiece, like it would if I’m on a call. Not had that bug before.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Thanks to the people who recommended Overcast as a podcast app. I love it but I have one issue with it. When I start a podcast at the first episode, it will play that episode but then the next episode played will be the newest episode. How can I get it to play episodes in order?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Thanks to the people who recommended Overcast as a podcast app. I love it but I have one issue with it. When I start a podcast at the first episode, it will play that episode but then the next episode played will be the newest episode. How can I get it to play episodes in order?

For an individual podcast, set it to sort oldest to newest (it defaults newest to oldest, I believe). It should just go down the list from there! If not, in Nitpicky Details turn off Play Next By Priority.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

nervana posted:

If you’ve got the tools, the only annoying part is the adhesive. Theoretically they’re supposed to stretch out and release, but in practice a lot of the time they tear. I find removing the vibration motor helps (so you can pull at a shallower angle), but sometimes they get caught on the edge of the battery and rip anyway.

Then you’re left trying to pry up the battery enough to grab what’s left of it with tweezers, and not rupturing it in the process. Oh, and make sure you put new adhesive down, or the battery will rattle around and possibly damage the cable.

Apple is still doing them for $29, so if you’ve got a store near you it’s probably easier.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2018/05/ios-11-4-brings-stereo-pairs-and-multi-room-audio-with-airplay-2/

Airplay 2 finally confirmed by Apple themselves in an iOS release that'll be any day now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Binary Badger posted:

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2018/05/ios-11-4-brings-stereo-pairs-and-multi-room-audio-with-airplay-2/

Airplay 2 finally confirmed by Apple themselves in an iOS release that'll be any day now.

Apparently it's today.