Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

bulletsponge13 posted:

I told my wife about the nerds losing their poo poo over Kid's First Book of Grimdark.

"That's the game with the rape priest aliens and power armor that you Josh play?"
"How is that kid friendly?"
"Dunno"
"And they are mad at build they haven't read?! loving nerds."

I actually want to get them and read them. We wouldn't need to indoctrinate kids to our hobby if less of the players weren't toxic pieces of poo poo.
And who the gently caress gets mad at trying to get kids to read, and play a cool loving game? I was amped when last summer, right before going back to school, my son randomly wanted to build models and try a game.

The way to rope in kids is have them painting minis and playing games.

They'll read the books because they like the game, not the other way around.

Also a little grimdark is good for kids. I'm reading a series about Occupied Holland with my son right now, and the plight of the little Jewish boy doesn't have a lot of gravity if death camps don't exist.

(I can't wait until he discovers the After the Bomb genre from the 80s.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I read every Animorphs book and that poo poo's way darker than 40k. Like the 8th book or something just about an alien slowly staving to death in the main character's brain, pleading for its life.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I read every Animorphs book and that poo poo's way darker than 40k. Like the 8th book or something just about an alien slowly staving to death in the main character's brain, pleading for its life.

Okay, but Animorphs is the high bar for children/teen literature and nothing has ever come close since. These books won't be as good as Animorphs, but that's okay because nothing is

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

The 2 books that hang with me from being that age are one where a boy has his personality programed into a robot replica as a way of traveling over lightyears only to discover that the aunt he is visiting is actually a replica controlled by someone (I don't.remember who. They were after her will)

The other is I am the Cheese by Robert Cormier where it starts out as a travel story of a kid biking through Massachusetts but it is eventually revealed he is biking in circles in the yard of a mental institution trying to deal with effects of brain damage incurred in a car accident that was part of the assasination of his parents.

The problem isn't that the books are Grimdark since the best kid lit is as well, it's that that kind of stupid dark wrecks a kid's willingness to read the kind of books that makes good adult readers.

At least that's my concern, not the stupid things nerds are bringing up.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Honestly, as long as a kid is reading something they enjoy (and it's broadly age appropriate obviously), I don't think there is a wrong book for them. Most of he adults I know who read grew up reading their share of unbelievable trash.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

SiKboy posted:

Honestly, as long as a kid is reading something they enjoy (and it's broadly age appropriate obviously), I don't think there is a wrong book for them. Most of he adults I know who read grew up reading their share of unbelievable trash.

Yeah, you're right to a point. I did to, but I think in retrospect I'm glad I had more challenging books mixed in with the Dragonlance.

So: WH40k is not really too dark for a 8-10 year old
The lore is not going to convince anyone to play the game
There's probably better books for kids to read at that age
It's fine, stop freaking out nerds!

Cool. That's my reasoned position then. Thanks for that thread.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

That's a lovely last post.

Have this instead

from here:
http://gardenninjastudios.blogspot.ca/2017/12/harlequin-solitaire-with-sonic-hedgehog.html

edit:
Here, have this too
http://gardenninjastudios.blogspot.ca/2018/05/here-are-two-more-chibi-conversions-i.html

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Hey that's pretty good, I wonder what's in that other link...

gently caress...

Warboot
Dec 13, 2012

Snuff films...Ya know, for kids!
Ah, fresh off the presses:
I joined a discord the other day of a guy whos videos I like to watch, and it seems some of the other fans are very /pol/ as you can see from what they thought was a hilarious joke.

Holy poo poo I just realized it was even titled Skaven Jew... what the gently caress is wrong with these people.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Warboot posted:

I joined a discord the other day of a guy whos videos I like to watch, and it seems some of the other fans are very /pol/ as you can see from what they thought was a hilarious joke.

Holy poo poo I just realized it was even titled Skaven Jew... what the gently caress is wrong with these people.

this sucks

this rules

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Warboot posted:

Thought this was pretty kickin' until I read the loving name. What the hell.

For a second I thought that was actually supposed to be Sanguinious but that marine is far too handsome and not angelic enough to be the Primarch.

Also for anyone who doesn't recognize the artwork reference:

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 02:09 on May 27, 2018

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

AndyElusive posted:

For a second I thought that was actually supposed to be Sanguinious but that marine is far too handsome and not angelic enough to be the Primarch.

Also for anyone who doesn't recognize the artwork reference:

I could actually picture a Skaven running a shop and selling poo poo to adventurers that may or may not explode or be cursed. Just this chittering rat thing "oh that? That's the sword of calamity mightiest blade ever." And it's just a sword with some warpstone taped to it.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Len posted:

I could actually picture a Skaven running a shop and selling poo poo to adventurers that may or may not explode or be cursed. Just this chittering rat thing "oh that? That's the sword of calamity mightiest blade ever." And it's just a sword with some warpstone taped to it.

But it comes with free frogurt.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

AndyElusive posted:

But it comes with free frogurt.

The frogurt is tainted with warpdust.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Zil posted:

The frogurt is tainted with warpdust.

But you get your choice of toppings.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Sanguinius, most beautiful and most beloved among all his brothers.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The emperor had a unique opinion of the nature of beauty.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

goatface posted:

The emperor had a unique opinion of the nature of beauty.

"COVER THAT poo poo IN GOLD, MY DUDES. EVEN MY LIFE-SUPPORT DEVICE."

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

AndyElusive posted:

I mean, there's also the appearance of the skaven that's pretty damning, even without the name.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

He didn't read to me as an overtly offensive stereotype until later tbh.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Tired: Skaven merchant based on anti-Semitic stereotypes.
Wired: Skaven merchant based on Cut-Me-Own-Throat Dibbler (to include sausage grill).

E: Just found the picture of CMOT from the Soul Music cartoon. Goddamnit :britain:, what the gently caress is wrong with you guys? :sigh:

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 15:58 on May 27, 2018

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Schadenboner posted:

E: Just found the picture of CMOT from the Soul Music cartoon. Goddamnit :britain:, what the gently caress is wrong with you guys? :sigh:

I don't see anything wrong with the depiction? He has a sharp nose, but so do other characters. It's hardly the hooked nose that is associated with anti-Semitic stereotypes.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Warboot posted:

What guy?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

LashLightning posted:

I don't see anything wrong with the depiction? He has a sharp nose, but so do other characters. It's hardly the hooked nose that is associated with anti-Semitic stereotypes.

Fair enough, it's reasonable to assume that (had I not been primed to be disappointed by seeing Skavenjew previously) I wouldn't make that association.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

I like the discosquig.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

The best part of all wacky ork models like this and Orktimus Prime and the Mr. Potato Head? They're perfectly canon.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

this owns

Warboot
Dec 13, 2012

Snuff films...Ya know, for kids!

Lord Mandalor, he's pretty enjoyable to watch. I found him cause he covered fire warrior

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I really love the concept of Bad Moons but ostentations clothes and accessories are so strongly associated with black people in popular culture that I have a hard time appreciating them without questioning my own prejudices.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cm7DKrtuUKM

Kiavahr
Oct 17, 2013

Outrageous Lumpwad

mango sentinel posted:

I really love the concept of Bad Moons but ostentations clothes and accessories are so strongly associated with black people in popular culture that I have a hard time appreciating them without questioning my own prejudices.

A litmus test against ork standards could be: is their shoota the shootiest, their choppa the choppiest, and are their teef all proudly on display? If some other aspect like ornamentation is prioritized higher then it ain't orky and is more likely based on some human bias.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

mango sentinel posted:

Sometimes a disco ork is just a disco ork, you know?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The disco ball squig definitely takes it out of racist 70s pimp territory.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Screaming Idiot posted:

The best part of all wacky ork models like this and Orktimus Prime and the Mr. Potato Head? They're perfectly canon.

Inquisitor Sherlock Kenobi is canon too but nobody ever makes models of that guy. :smith:

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Chill la Chill posted:

Inquisitor Sherlock Kenobi is canon too but nobody ever makes models of that guy. :smith:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

What Ordo is Sherlock Kenobi a part of? Is it the time one? If so, maybe he's gone back in time and erased himself from future history?

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

AndyElusive posted:

What Ordo is Sherlock Kenobi a part of? Is it the time one? If so, maybe he's gone back in time and erased himself from future history?

Like the entirety of Ordo Chronos?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Ordo Copyrightus