Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Condiv posted:

if you think right-wing ideas are the only way to help the poor in this situation, you can go ahead and believe that. that doesn't change the fact that you're advocating for rightwing policies and are actually aligning with capital against the poor.

What policy am I advocating for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Wheany posted:

You can still have ads on your GDPR-compliant web page. The ads have to be GDPR-compliant too.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Jose Valasquez posted:

keeping the status quo of companies being able to sell every bit of data they can gather in order to "help the poor"

Jose Valasquez posted:

if everything that is currently ad supported on the internet suddenly became subscription based it would be a huge blow to the poor. You can argue whether or not "regressive" is the right word but it would disproportionally affect the poor in a negative way

do you really need to be reminded of what you're talking about jose? i mean, you do seem to have missed that the GDPR isn't doing away with ads (just with the notion that you can sell every piece of data you want without user consent), but i'd expect you to be able to keep track of your own arguments

90s Rememberer
Nov 30, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Jose Valasquez posted:

when you unironically start deploying "realistic" as a qualifier for solutions you're essentially a centrist, hth

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Condiv posted:

keeping the status quo of companies being able to sell every bit of data they can gather in order to "help the poor"

do you really need to be reminded of what you're talking about jose? i mean, you do seem to have missed that the GDPR isn't doing away with ads (just with the notion that you can sell every piece of data you want without user consent), but i'd expect you to be able to keep track of your own arguments
I said subscription based would be bad for the poor, not that selling data is good.

90s Rememberer
Nov 30, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Jose Valasquez posted:

I said subscription based would be bad for the poor, not that selling data is good.

You also said this:

Jose Valasquez posted:

What is your realistic replacement for the ad model of the internet that doesn't disproportionally negatively affect poor people?

Let's not pretend like this doesn't mean "there is no other solution unless you want me to kill this poor person i'm holding"

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Jose Valasquez posted:

and then you advocated for sticking with the status quo and tried to claim it was leftist to do so

seriously jose, you can't have forgotten posts you made like 30 minutes ago can you?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Condiv posted:

and then you advocated for sticking with the status quo and tried to claim it was leftist to do so

seriously jose, you can't have forgotten posts you made like 30 minutes ago can you?

to be fair I can't remember posts i made 30 seconds ago

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

How does GDPR interact with network engineering and planning? Right now, if I'm running a stream service and see bitrates drop for some IPs, I can take a look at routing to those IPs and figure out what's going on, or if I see a bunch of DOS traffic from some IPs, I can drop that traffic. Do normal traffic monitoring/analysis tool outputs fall under protected data, or does it only count if you're correlating IP with other, more personal data?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

He went there.

http://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1000560049389907969

Standish
May 21, 2001

a foolish pianist posted:

How does GDPR interact with network engineering and planning? Right now, if I'm running a stream service and see bitrates drop for some IPs, I can take a look at routing to those IPs and figure out what's going on, or if I see a bunch of DOS traffic from some IPs, I can drop that traffic. Do normal traffic monitoring/analysis tool outputs fall under protected data, or does it only count if you're correlating IP with other, more personal data?
http://www.privacy-regulation.eu/en/recital-47-GDPR.htm

quote:

(49) The processing of personal data to the extent strictly necessary and proportionate for the purposes of ensuring network and information security, i.e. the ability of a network or an information system to resist, at a given level of confidence, accidental events or unlawful or malicious actions that compromise the availability, authenticity, integrity and confidentiality of stored or transmitted personal data, and the security of the related services offered by, or accessible via, those networks and systems, by public authorities, by computer emergency response teams (CERTs), computer security incident response teams (CSIRTs), by providers of electronic communications networks and services and by providers of security technologies and services, constitutes a legitimate interest of the data controller concerned.

This could, for example, include preventing unauthorised access to electronic communications networks and malicious code distribution and stopping 'denial of service' attacks and damage to computer and electronic communication systems.
tl;dr you may process personally identifiable data such as IPs for DDoS/security/hacking prevention, but only to the extent necessary for those purposes -- i.e. you can't use "hacking prevention" as an excuse to hold onto people's IP addresses forever.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

He also liked this:
https://twitter.com/martinengwicht/status/999590946647003136?s=21

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

PT6A posted:

There's nothing that will eliminate the concept of online advertising altogether in the GDPR, it just makes it illegal or difficult to use certain techniques.

I mean, somehow advertising works in print and other media without viewer tracking and user targeting; there's no specific reason why the same things could not be done with online advertising, it'd just be less effective. Of any possible issues with the GDPR "but how can we advertise???" is by far the absolute least important.

The funniest part of it is that as regards advertising, a lot of the stuff GDPR blocks is stuff that doesn't really make ads work better for the advertisers.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Wow, I haven't heard about the Trilateral Commission since the 1980s.

Curiously timely story

quote:

A report by an advocacy group in New York says Uber, Lyft and other ride-hailing services are virtually “useless” for people with disabilities because of the relative lack of vehicles equipped to handle wheelchairs and motorized scooters.

The report by New York Lawyers for the Public Interest also says that when riders summoned wheelchair-accessible vehicles from Uber and Lyft — the only ride-hailing companies to offer such a service — the wait time was more than four times longer than for regular service.

Before you say "but taxis!", New York City regulations have you covered.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/24/nyregion/accessible-taxis-disabled-nyc.html posted:

The Accessible Dispatch Program was started in 2012, when the Bloomberg administration was embroiled in a bitter feud with advocates for the disabled over the wheelchair accessibility of New York’s taxicabs.

In December 2013, three weeks before Mayor Bill de Blasio was sworn in, the Bloomberg administration settled a class-action suit that accused the city of violating the Americans With Disabilities Act because only a fraction of its taxis were accessible.

The city agreed to adopt regulations to make 50 percent of the city’s more than 13,000 yellow cabs wheelchair-friendly by 2020. The de Blasio administration approved a 30-cent surcharge on taxi rides to help pay for it.

There were 233 accessible yellow cars in 2012, Mr. Fromberg said. Today, there are 2,175 wheelchair-accessible yellow cars, he said.
These regulations already apply to cabs, and will apply to Uber/Lyft starting in 2022. Right now, that compliance is a cost borne by cabs and not by ride-hailing services. I am frankly sceptical that Uber/Lyft will manage anything remotely comparable.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

self unaware posted:

You also said this:

Let's not pretend like this doesn't mean "there is no other solution unless you want me to kill this poor person i'm holding"

Condiv posted:

That was not the intention my posts. Overall I think GDPR is good and better than the status quo but may have some unintended consequences that negatively affect primarily poor people. I don't think acknowledging and discussing that is bad. If that makes me a centrist or right wing in your eyes then ok I guess?

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Jose Valasquez posted:

That was not the intention my posts. Overall I think GDPR is good and better than the status quo but may have some unintended consequences that negatively affect primarily poor people. I don't think acknowledging and discussing that is bad. If that makes me a centrist or right wing in your eyes then ok I guess?

GDPR is the text book example of "law written by people with good intentions who don't have a goddamn clue about what they are regulating".

There is a lot of stupid things you could cut from it that wouldn't negatively impact people's privacy in any meaningful way, but would dramatically reduce the cost of compliance. It is convenient to hand wave the cost of compliance, but ultimately all costs are passed to the consumer.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
Why is Elon Musk freaking out about the press? Don’t they love him to bits? Is he just mad because they are mean to his buddy Trump?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

BarbarianElephant posted:

Why is Elon Musk freaking out about the press? Don’t they love him to bits? Is he just mad because they are mean to his buddy Trump?

No they dared to point out that his new car, which is several months behind production schedule, has bugs. Clearly it's a conspiracy.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

BarbarianElephant posted:

After many years of production issues and massive quarterly losses, people started to report that investing in Tesla wasn't a good idea anymore. This makes Elon melt down, and he's been melting down about this "fake news" since late last year.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Jose Valasquez posted:

i've liked what i've seen of it so far. yeah, forbes doesn't want to let me read their articles without me consenting to them selling my data to a ton of different advertisers, but i could consent if I wanted to. if you'd like the list of advertisers they wanted me to consent to having my data sold to, here it is: https://pastebin.com/NFSq5xDR

and yeah, handwringing about this does make you right-wing. the situation with PII is getting worse and worse by year, and advertisers are getting more and more intrusive (not to mention other companies, like repo people using automated camera systems to scan every tag near their car and sell the location data of the people they pick up to all sorts of places). the gdpr does the bare minimum of regulation and forces companies to actually justify the massive amounts of information they're collecting. that's good. that's bare minimum regulatory poo poo, stuff the government should be doing.

Xae posted:

GDPR is the text book example of "law written by people with good intentions who don't have a goddamn clue about what they are regulating".

There is a lot of stupid things you could cut from it that wouldn't negatively impact people's privacy in any meaningful way, but would dramatically reduce the cost of compliance. It is convenient to hand wave the cost of compliance, but ultimately all costs are passed to the consumer.

the good old "the government is incompetent and can't regulate!" argument. used to seeing it thrown out by tea partiers and the like, but i guess you've slid that far right

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Condiv posted:

the good old "the government is incompetent and can't regulate!" argument. used to seeing it thrown out by tea partiers and the like, but i guess centrists keep slipping rightward.

I think it's fair to say that the GDPR is a great start, and certainly much better than nothing, while acknowledging that there are some parts of it which could be improved.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

PT6A posted:

I think it's fair to say that the GDPR is a great start, and certainly much better than nothing, while acknowledging that there are some parts of it which could be improved.

The problem is that some people are broken brained and measure the effectiveness of legislation by how much it costs to comply with. So in their view something that is expensive is always better than something that is not expensive. Even if the less expensive version is as good or better at accomplishing the stated purpose of the law.

They don't care about the issue the law is trying to address, they just want to use the law to poo poo on groups they don't like. They don't even care that it wouldn't accomplish their goal of making GBS threads on groups they don't like. They just want to pretend it would.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

PT6A posted:

he didn't acknowledge any such parts though, nor did he say it was a great start

he said it was poor regulation by incompetent government and left it at that. his criticism is completely substanceless

Xae posted:

The problem is that some people are broken brained and measure the effectiveness of legislation by how much it costs to comply with. So in their view something that is expensive is always better than something that is not expensive. Even if the less expensive version is as good or better at accomplishing the stated purpose of the law.

They don't care about the issue the law is trying to address, they just want to use the law to poo poo on groups they don't like.

case in point. he says it's just a harmful regulation that exists to inflict pain on poor innocent companies. no mention of what actually is costing a lot to comply with, and why the cost is onerous, just moaning about being regulated

Condiv fucked around with this message at 18:56 on May 27, 2018

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Condiv posted:

the gdpr ... forces companies to actually justify the massive amounts of information they're collecting.

Lol, not in the least. It just requires dumping ever more poo poo no one will read inside TOS and Privacy Policy documents that 99.9999% of the users will never read.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

fishmech posted:

Lol, not in the least. It just requires dumping ever more poo poo no one will read inside TOS and Privacy Policy documents that 99.9999% of the users will never read.

not in my experience, having dealt with sites that are trying to comply with the gdpr. but if it's that simple, i wonder why people are whining so much about having to comply with it :shrug:

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Condiv posted:

not in my experience, having dealt with sites that are trying to comply with the gdpr. but if it's that simple, i wonder why people are whining so much about having to comply with it :shrug:

my first assumption would be "because they're shitheads afraid it will cost them money not to abuse their customers." so far that's been about 100% of the case.

but! let's Debate & Discuss it! what are the specific cases of difficulty in compliance? what specific parts of the GDPR could and should be lost? change my mind!!

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

fishmech posted:

Compliance wise there are two general parts of the bill.

The first is about what data you are collecting and how you are using/selling it. The GDPR doesn't do anything meaningful here other than require more documentation and making sure your privacy policies are up to date and you're spelling out what you're doing. Which most companies already are. The net effect is that the big players (Amazon, Facebook, Google, Apple, Microsoft) and similar have to rewrite some documentation. This is what most people care about the bill doesn't impact things in a meaningful way. But it really doesn't impose a cost either.

The second part is the "Right of Erasure" or "Right to be Forgotten" which is a complete clusterfuck where the majority of the cost and almost no benefit comes into play. The concept of "delete use accounts when they ask" makes sense and is pretty easy to implement, in theory. The problem comes into play in the volume of documentation required and that the GDPR requires all data, including backups, and transient logs to be purged.

So now companies have to restore all backups of their systems "without undue delay", purge a users data and then create a new backup. They also have to review their logs from their ETL and monitoring systems to make sure it isn't lingering in there. So if row #123465690 errored out in some backend process and got dropped into a log, you have to delete that as well.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
A lot of these things are reasonably simple when the system is designed in advance to account for them, but considerably more difficult when trying to adapt an existing system. As much as I can sympathize with what a pain in the rear end it's going to be to comply with these requests in the short term, in the long term I expect it will become a non-issue and there are certainly very valid reasons to do it.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

PT6A posted:

A lot of these things are reasonably simple when the system is designed in advance to account for them, but considerably more difficult when trying to adapt an existing system. As much as I can sympathize with what a pain in the rear end it's going to be to comply with these requests in the short term, in the long term I expect it will become a non-issue and there are certainly very valid reasons to do it.

yep. if PII is hard to remove for "right to be forgotten" then you're not doing due diligence in the first place to protect it from being stolen

the oddest thing about people complaining about having to reorganize their records to accommodate this is that they've had about 2 years to do so, and most companies didn't bother until just recently

Condiv fucked around with this message at 19:23 on May 27, 2018

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Condiv posted:

yep. if PII is hard to remove for "right to be forgotten" then you're not doing due diligence in the first place to protect it from being stolen

the oddest thing about people complaining about having to reorganize their records to accommodate this is that they've had about 2 years to do so, and most companies didn't bother until just recently

It’s hard because by some interpretations it requires destroying your backups.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

PT6A posted:

You've got two options for compliance:
Every database that handles customer data in existence must do a custom rewrite core utility functions in the underlying vended product.
Double the storage your company uses and employ a couple dozen people who restore, purge and then backup data again.

There isn't a way around it. That is why it is super dumb. The people who required that all backups be purged simply didn't understand how backups work and that most of them are permanently offline sitting on an encrypted tape in some re-purposed nuclear bunker.

In other words almost all the cost is for doing something that will have a next to zero impact on privacy.

hobbesmaster posted:

All compliance training and products I've seen has said that backups and transient data are covered.

Xae fucked around with this message at 19:27 on May 27, 2018

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Condiv posted:

You're within the specs of "justifying" your use, under the GDPR, simply by slathering something in about how "giving access to all your info enables enhanced brand experiences".

Xae posted:

Compliance wise there are two general parts of the bill.

The first is about what data you are collecting and how you are using/selling it. The GDPR doesn't do anything meaningful here other than require more documentation and making sure your privacy policies are up to date and you're spelling out what you're doing. Which most companies already are. The net effect is that the big players (Amazon, Facebook, Google, Apple, Microsoft) and similar have to rewrite some documentation. This is what most people care about the bill doesn't impact things in a meaningful way. But it really doesn't impose a cost either.

The second part is the "Right of Erasure" or "Right to be Forgotten" which is a complete clusterfuck where the majority of the cost and almost no benefit comes into play. The concept of "delete use accounts when they ask" makes sense and is pretty easy to implement, in theory. The problem comes into play in the volume of documentation required and that the GDPR requires all data, including backups, and transient logs to be purged.

So now companies have to restore all backups of their systems "without undue delay", purge a users data and then create a new backup. They also have to review their logs from their ETL and monitoring systems to make sure it isn't lingering in there. So if row #123465690 errored out in some backend process and got dropped into a log, you have to delete that as well.

Right the thing is the second part has nothing to with justifying use (although you as a company can provide justifications for why Hans Borgerson's specific data on access log #4959 does not in fact need to be deleted because x, y, and z and so on).

Condiv posted:

This is a bit ludicrous. You can't "steal" a publicly shared picture, even though it would be a piece of identifiable information by design, and within the gdpr could be something you demand to be deleted. A lot of things you might demand to have removed in the process of removing all of "your data" removed are things which wouldn't be considered sensitive information that needs to be protected.

It's like, your public profile photo and your full national identification card info are both personally identifiable, but usually you would only treat one of those as needing to be on a super secure system if you're going to keep it at all.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

hobbesmaster posted:

you just gotta structure your backups properly. not a huge problem if you took advantage of the 2 year headstart you were given on that and actually kept good track of PII instead of leaking it all over the place

:shrug:

dunno if this has been posted yet, but it's just one more reason why the gdpr is great

https://twitter.com/paulcalvano/status/1000094415485132801

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Condiv posted:

you just gotta structure your backups properly. not a huge problem if you took advantage of the 2 year headstart you were given on that and actually kept good track of PII instead of leaking it all over the place

How do you remove PII from off site offfline backups?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

hobbesmaster posted:

How do you remove PII from off site offfline backups?

structure your off site, offline backups properly so that PII can be disposed of on request. or even better, don't keep PII floating around in offsite, offline backups unless you're legally required to, at which point right of erasure doesn't apply.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

fishmech posted:

You're within the specs of "justifying" your use, under the GDPR, simply by slathering something in about how "giving access to all your info enables enhanced brand experiences".

No you’re not, the consent has to be specific to the function. The NOYB cases linked above outline this really clearly.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Total Meatlove posted:

No you’re not, the consent has to be specific to the function. The NOYB cases linked above outline this really clearly.

You appear to have no idea what justifying means. Why don't you try looking it up and then go back to this post and figure out where you went wrong.

Condiv posted:

structure your off site, offline backups properly so that PII can be disposed of on request. or even better, don't keep PII floating around in offsite, offline backups unless you're legally required to, at which point right of erasure doesn't apply.

You really seem to have a bad habit of not understanding what personally identifiable information is.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

i mean, you guys can look at what right to erasure involves: https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-the-general-data-protection-regulation-gdpr/individual-rights/right-to-erasure/

it's really not that onerous at all:

quote:

Individuals have the right to have their personal data erased if:
the personal data is no longer necessary for the purpose which you originally collected or processed it for;
you are relying on consent as your lawful basis for holding the data, and the individual withdraws their consent;
you are relying on legitimate interests as your basis for processing, the individual objects to the processing of their data, and there is no overriding legitimate interest to continue this processing;
you are processing the personal data for direct marketing purposes and the individual objects to that processing;
you have processed the personal data unlawfully (ie in breach of the lawfulness requirement of the 1st principle);
you have to do it to comply with a legal obligation; or
you have processed the personal data to offer information society services to a child.

basically

• don't hang on to PII if you don't have a legitimate need for it
  • don't put PII in places it'll be hard to remove if you rely on consent to hold it
  • you can keep PII if you have a legitimate purpose for using and processing it, but only while that purpose exists
  • you can't keep PII if you obtained it illegally
and other fairly obvious things.

Condiv fucked around with this message at 20:06 on May 27, 2018

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Condiv posted:

I agree with you in general on what you've said with respect to GDPR so far, but this is a bit of an overstatement or generalization, I think, depending on your definition of "hard."

For example, if you've got a very large dataset that isn't indexed by a user identifier. I don't think that makes PII any easier to steal, but it can be difficult or expensive to address in an existing system.

Caveat: certainly keeping the PII you are now supposed to delete makes it easier to steal. But if you're referring to due diligence in protect PII in general, I don't think it is true in that example.

Also, of course, in that case you just suck it up and change the system, and I don't think it's too onerous a requirement. I just don't see that example as an indicator of previous lack of due diligence for data security.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Steve French posted:

I agree with you in general on what you've said with respect to GDPR so far, but this is a bit of an overstatement or generalization, I think, depending on your definition of "hard."

For example, if you've got a very large dataset that isn't indexed by a user identifier. I don't think that makes PII any easier to steal, but it can be difficult or expensive to address in an existing system.

Caveat: certainly keeping the PII you are now supposed to delete makes it easier to steal. But if you're referring to due diligence in protect PII in general, I don't think it is true in that example.

Also, of course, in that case you just suck it up and change the system, and I don't think it's too onerous a requirement. I just don't see that example as an indicator of previous lack of due diligence for data security.

i'll cop to that