Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Okay how do you make the Auto Sifter work? I figured out that the various parts have to be placed while facing the same direction, and that the auto sifter goes under the sieve, but I put some ash in the shaking sieve and nothing happened. I can't seem to input ash via a hopper, so... how are you supposed to automate this crap?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

McFrugal posted:

Okay how do you make the Auto Sifter work? I figured out that the various parts have to be placed while facing the same direction, and that the auto sifter goes under the sieve, but I put some ash in the shaking sieve and nothing happened. I can't seem to input ash via a hopper, so... how are you supposed to automate this crap?

Insert items into the auto sifter block underneath. I used a chain of wooden hoppers, but Embers pipes work too if you have black quartz.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Insert items into the auto sifter block underneath. I used a chain of wooden hoppers, but Embers pipes work too if you have black quartz.

Oh. I see. It works, it's just INCREDIBLY slow. Does adding more waterwheels speed it up?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

McFrugal posted:

Oh. I see. It works, it's just INCREDIBLY slow. Does adding more waterwheels speed it up?

I haven't tested it. The quest said to make four, so I made four. I also put 25 sieves on the same auto sifter, which works fine. You can also speed it up by manually right clicking the center sieve, which will affect all 25 sieves.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Well I did a bit of testing and it appears the autosifter's waterwheels don't care what direction the water is flowing. Heck, they don't even care if it IS flowing. It does look like having multiple wheels on one axle speeds up the one closest to the autosifter though, which in turn speeds up the autosifter.

EDIT: PSA MAKE LOTS OF WATERWHEELS
I'm not sure there's a limit to how many waterwheels you can put on your autosifter. I'm up to 16 now and it's going almost as fast as manual sifting.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 19:55 on May 27, 2018

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Fortis posted:

I mean, essentia smelteries are pretty important, you basically can't do any of the cool infusion poo poo, which is very much functional, without them.

If you don't want to wait for the Eldritch research to be implemented, just do /tc research <playername> METALLURGY to grant yourself the required research to get past that particular roadblock.

Void Golems and Void Essentia Smelteries. I didn't think I needed to include the same word twice.

Krakatoah
Jul 8, 2009

Super High-School Level Bean-dog
Could someone give me a crash course at how to do beestuff properly and eventually get them to output resources at almost-no cost? I know this involves god knows how much mutation and knowing the Exoria modpack developer, I wouldn't be surprised if Gendustry was locked behind unethical ammounts of bee-related tedium.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Krakatoah posted:

Could someone give me a crash course at how to do beestuff properly and eventually get them to output resources at almost-no cost? I know this involves god knows how much mutation and knowing the Exoria modpack developer, I wouldn't be surprised if Gendustry was locked behind unethical ammounts of bee-related tedium.

Gendustry is actually locked behind Refined Storage, which is pretty late in the game. Fortunately, so far the bee load is pretty small.

To breed bees, put a princess and a drone of differing species in an Apiary (read: NOT a bee house) and let them make a queen, then let the queen die. Once they die, analyze the output princess and drones with a portable analyzer (needs honey to operate.) Pick the drones that have the traits you want and mate them with the princess, to keep the chain going.

To get honey, make an apiary, then fill the three slots in the middle with Untreated Frames. Running some basic bees that you aren't breeding just to make honeycombs is a good idea, too.

Use JEI to find out what things mutate into what.

Krakatoah
Jul 8, 2009

Super High-School Level Bean-dog

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Gendustry is actually locked behind Refined Storage, which is pretty late in the game. Fortunately, so far the bee load is pretty small.

To breed bees, put a princess and a drone of differing species in an Apiary (read: NOT a bee house) and let them make a queen, then let the queen die. Once they die, analyze the output princess and drones with a portable analyzer (needs honey to operate.) Pick the drones that have the traits you want and mate them with the princess, to keep the chain going.

To get honey, make an apiary, then fill the three slots in the middle with Untreated Frames. Running some basic bees that you aren't breeding just to make honeycombs is a good idea, too.

Use JEI to find out what things mutate into what.

Okay, so I should see about getting some apiaries just constantly cycling Fairy bees to just mass produce honeycombs whilst using others to try and selectively breed a bee I'd want, seems simple so far.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Krakatoah posted:

Okay, so I should see about getting some apiaries just constantly cycling Fairy bees to just mass produce honeycombs whilst using others to try and selectively breed a bee I'd want, seems simple so far.

Yep. Just make sure to always have frames in them -- otherwise the honeycomb production rate is basically nonexistent. You can't automate insertion of frames, either -- it's specifically and intentionally disallowed by the developer.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

that sounds like good design

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Yep. Just make sure to always have frames in them -- otherwise the honeycomb production rate is basically nonexistent. You can't automate insertion of frames, either -- it's specifically and intentionally disallowed by the developer.

modding.txt

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

that sounds like good design

Inspires other modders to take the reigns and make their own version of it. Sometimes they even make it less tedious!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

as someone who has done beekeeping in the past i can tell you that moving frames is definitely a delicate process

how this relates to minecraft where hives are just another box with slots in it, well, i dunno what to actually say

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

i think the idea behind the Do Not Automate Frames thing is to push you to making the incredibly expensive alvearies, which produce better than an apiary with frames

otherwise nerds would (correctly) just automate frame insertion and never bother

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
You can automate Alvearies too!
(don't do this. Alvearies should only be used to overcome climate difficulties)

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

There's mods for fixing that. Although some of them are bad but it's better than nothing.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

McFrugal posted:

You can automate Alvearies too!
(don't do this. Alvearies should only be used to overcome climate difficulties)

You don't even need them for climate control any more. There are multiblock greenhouses that can do climate control for apiaries inside of them now.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Open up the leadstone energy's cell GUI, find the side configuration tab on the right. Open that up, and click the face corresponding to the side that the pulverizer is on until it is orange. Orange is out, blue is in.

Syka posted:

Configure the sides of the energy cell to output (orange) instead of input (blue).

Thank you. I have a couple more questions.

First, I am currently using a rancher to fill a resonant portable tank with milk. Once that is full what machine(s) would I use to turn all that milk into Heavy Cream?

Second, I've been given the blocks to build a small BigReactor, and steps on how to build it, and absolutely nothing about how it works. I could probably put fuel into it and get power out, but I wish I knew a little more. Like, is this thing gonna freakin' explode if I leave it on? I think I remember these things needing coolant. Where is the beginner's guide to BigReactors?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Ariong posted:

Second, I've been given the blocks to build a small BigReactor, and steps on how to build it, and absolutely nothing about how it works. I could probably put fuel into it and get power out, but I wish I knew a little more. Like, is this thing gonna freakin' explode if I leave it on? I think I remember these things needing coolant. Where is the beginner's guide to BigReactors?

Big Reactors never explode under any circumstances.

You can define the interior in a lot of different ways, if you build a large reactor. IIRC the quest reward gives you exactly enough blocks to build a 3x3x3 case with a single fuel rod inside as the only interior part, which is the smallest possible reactor. Use casings on the corners and edges, and the other various blocks (controller, energy taps, fuel ports) in the middle squares on each side. Casings can also go in these slots if you need to fill space.

If you made a larger reactor, you could put more fuel rods inside, or put coolant or moderators inside as well. Coolant and moderators are both fluids or blocks that you put inside the interior of the case, and are optional. Coolant, in particular, is not a thing that is consumed by the reactor -- it's just a static part of its inside, if you choose to use it.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Big Reactors never explode under any circumstances.

You can define the interior in a lot of different ways, if you build a large reactor. IIRC the quest reward gives you exactly enough blocks to build a 3x3x3 case with a single fuel rod inside as the only interior part, which is the smallest possible reactor. Use casings on the corners and edges, and the other various blocks (controller, energy taps, fuel ports) in the middle squares on each side. Casings can also go in these slots if you need to fill space.

If you made a larger reactor, you could put more fuel rods inside, or put coolant or moderators inside as well. Coolant and moderators are both fluids or blocks that you put inside the interior of the case, and are optional. Coolant, in particular, is not a thing that is consumed by the reactor -- it's just a static part of its inside, if you choose to use it.

Yeah, I already built the small reactor provided by the quest reward. My problem is that, If I wanted to build a bigger one (which I do!) I would have no idea how to do that. Also, the book gave me a choice between four yellorium ingots and four blutonium ingots. I already have some yellorium ore, so I went with the blutonium. No explanation was provided for what this substance is, and in fact, it wasn't even alluded to. Is it also fuel? It almost feels like there is supposed to be a book explaining stuff like there is for Tinker's Construct, and I somehow missed it.

Anyway, they don't explode, that's good. What happens if I build a bigger reactor and it gets super hot? Will it shut down? Be less efficient? Will it hurt me?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Ariong posted:

Yeah, I already built the small reactor provided by the quest reward. My problem is that, If I wanted to build a bigger one (which I do!) I would have no idea how to do that. Also, the book gave me a choice between four yellorium ingots and four blutonium ingots. I already have some yellorium ore, so I went with the blutonium. No explanation was provided for what this substance is, and in fact, it wasn't even alluded to. Is it also fuel? It almost feels like there is supposed to be a book explaining stuff like there is for Tinker's Construct, and I somehow missed it.

Anyway, they don't explode, that's good. What happens if I build a bigger reactor and it gets super hot? Will it shut down? Be less efficient? Will it hurt me?

1.7.10 mods, by and large, had very little in-game documentation, and Big Reactors is no exception. In-game documentation was just getting started as being a thing with Thaumcraft, Botania, and TiCon. Nowadays most good mods have it.

Blutonium is a nuclear fuel. When you burn Yellorium in a reactor, it creates Cyanite as a waste product. Cyanite can be processed into Blutonium and burned again for fuel -- you get 1 blutonium for 2 cyanite. Cyanite is also used for construction of turbines, which is an advanced method of generating power using a reactor. You probably should have picked Yellorium as your reward -- it can be used for crafting more reactor parts, as well as fuel, but 4 ingots isn't going to make or break you either way.

Nothing bad in any way, shape, or form happens to you or your surroundings from operating a Big Reactor. The only variables in play are RF produced and fuel efficiency. The reactor won't shut down, either, until you tell it to. This is actually kind of a problem, because Big Reactors will continue to burn fuel even if the internal power buffer is full. The redstone ports that you can add to the case of a reactor can allow you to control the reactor with redstone signals, which will let you make a circuit for avoiding power loss. There's also MFR rednet ports, too.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

1.7.10 mods, by and large, had very little in-game documentation, and Big Reactors is no exception. In-game documentation was just getting started as being a thing with Thaumcraft, Botania, and TiCon. Nowadays most good mods have it.

Blutonium is a nuclear fuel. When you burn Yellorium in a reactor, it creates Cyanite as a waste product. Cyanite can be processed into Blutonium and burned again for fuel -- you get 1 blutonium for 2 cyanite. Cyanite is also used for construction of turbines, which is an advanced method of generating power using a reactor. You probably should have picked Yellorium as your reward -- it can be used for crafting more reactor parts, as well as fuel, but 4 ingots isn't going to make or break you either way.

Nothing bad in any way, shape, or form happens to you or your surroundings from operating a Big Reactor. The only variables in play are RF produced and fuel efficiency. The reactor won't shut down, either, until you tell it to. This is actually kind of a problem, because Big Reactors will continue to burn fuel even if the internal power buffer is full. The redstone ports that you can add to the case of a reactor can allow you to control the reactor with redstone signals, which will let you make a circuit for avoiding power loss. There's also MFR rednet ports, too.

I'll just start building then. Thanks!

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Probably the best way to figure out an internal design is to play with the Big Reactor simulator. The way this works is you make a design, and it tells you stats about the reactor you make. It allows you to input a height, and assumes that you just tile the design upwards.

Here's my favorite reactor design:

http://br.sidoh.org/#reactor-design...odpack=defaults

This can power three turbines if it's made into an Actively Cooled variation, and does a decent amount of RF/t regardless. In Blightfall, this reactor will be VERY EXPENSIVE to make, so don't feel obligated to do it.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

ok so the exoria bees are actually pretty bee-asy to cope with

ignore ash and get a bunch of fairy, fire and water queens; let them cycle breeding with themselves until you have a few spare drones. breed fire princesses with water drones until you get rock bees, then take them to the Crust dimension and let them cycle until you have a bunch of rock drones.

breed fairy princesses and rock drones until you get runic bees. then breed runic princesses and fairy drones until you get exoria princesses/drones and then just keep on rebreeding those ones until they inexplicably turn back into rock or something irritating

got my two royal jelly analogues with surprisingly little fuss. only irritation is that water bees don't bee at night, and exoria nights are insanely long

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
They turn back into rock because the line isn't yet pure, you need to keep checking the princesses to see if both 'sides' are exoria and interbeed them with other exoria's until that's fixed, preferably with drones that lucked into being pure.

You can breed bees to bee at night by cross-beeding them with a species that does, but same issue; once polluted with another species you have to re-fix them AND hope the trait sticks AND hope other poor traits don't get passed along. This is why Gendustry became popular, you no longer have to gently caress around with resource/time-consuming multi-generational breeding to get the bee you want.

Sage Grimm fucked around with this message at 01:05 on May 28, 2018

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Probably the best way to figure out an internal design is to play with the Big Reactor simulator. The way this works is you make a design, and it tells you stats about the reactor you make. It allows you to input a height, and assumes that you just tile the design upwards.

Here's my favorite reactor design:

http://br.sidoh.org/#reactor-design...odpack=defaults

This can power three turbines if it's made into an Actively Cooled variation, and does a decent amount of RF/t regardless. In Blightfall, this reactor will be VERY EXPENSIVE to make, so don't feel obligated to do it.

I just now decided not to build a bigger reactor once I realized that it requires steel, which requires manganese, which I have yet to find. Thanks for the cool tool though.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah, one of the absolute biggest things to make bees less of a pain is that you really want to check the genes of all of the bees to hedge things in your favor, because once you start carefully breeding specific princesses and drones together your chances at success skyrocket instead of just trying to mash random things together to bruteforce it. i guess it's one of those 'have you plugged it in' kind of things but just keeping an eye on the traits at all times will save you so much headache.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Ariong posted:

I just now decided not to build a bigger reactor once I realized that it requires steel, which requires manganese, which I have yet to find. Thanks for the cool tool though.

Yeah, plus there's the whole "you need yellorium to run the reactor, and it's also hard to get" thing. If you're looking for RF, consider a Mana Fluxfield.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Oh, drat it! I was jsut jumping around with my rapier, and it disappeared right from my hands. It's not on the ground, it just vanished. What? LOL I just put it into a casting basin.

EDIT: Okay, I built the me drive, I built the ME terminal, I put it next to a power cell, and I can't do anything with it. The book doesn't say anything else about this. What am I doing wrong?

EDIT 2: Apparently there's a whole bunch of other stuff that you need that doesn't even get mentioned? The book tells you to make some things, but those aren't the first or most important things to make? WTF.

Ariong fucked around with this message at 01:45 on May 28, 2018

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Ariong posted:

Oh, drat it! I was jsut jumping around with my rapier, and it disappeared right from my hands. It's not on the ground, it just vanished. What? LOL I just put it into a casting basin.

EDIT: Okay, I built the me drive, I built the ME terminal, I put it next to a power cell, and I can't do anything with it. The book doesn't say anything else about this. What am I doing wrong?

EDIT 2: Apparently there's a whole bunch of other stuff that you need that doesn't even get mentioned? The book tells you to make some things, but those aren't the first or most important things to make? WTF.

You need an Energy Acceptor to power your network.

The point of Blightfall isn't really to teach you how to use mods. It's intended for people who are already experienced. If you're new, you'll have additional challenges and/or googling to do.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Blightfall 'taught' me how to play Botania and Thaumcraft since I'd only barely brushed the surface of those two before playing the pack. But no it very much is a challenge and not a teaching pack. It just may make you look into things in ways you hadn't before.

Also speaking of removing superfluous intermediate steps in a mod, EnderIO for 1.12.. adds them.

Not only do you need to do the grains of infinity nonsense, not only did the author decide they needed their own power display (micro infinities) but there is a whole process now. You need to make a Simple SAG Mill and Simple Alloy Smelter (which leak power, literally, they drain power when not in use) and then go through a series of steps grinding plant matter and combining it with slime to produce special dye that is then used to create a special dust that then gets alloy smeltered with the simple version of the machine chassis to create an Industrial Machine Chassis which you can then use to make the proper versions of the SAG Mill and Alloy Smelter.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
My pet peeve is serious/tech mods requiring specific kinds of dye for anything. Every now and again I run into a recipe that needs orange terracotta or blue dye or whatever because the end result is a powerdrill and in real life those are orange so obviously this has to be orange so make some orange terracotta (what do you mean they're made of plastic).
I can't quite find the word for this kind of stupidity but requiring a result to be a specific dye because that's what color the item is and obviously it needs to be that color really annoys me. Also since most dyeing in Minecraft requires 8 of the item I always end up with leftover black stained glass or blue wool or something.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Vib Rib posted:

My pet peeve is serious/tech mods requiring specific kinds of dye for anything. Every now and again I run into a recipe that needs orange terracotta or blue dye or whatever because the end result is a powerdrill and in real life those are orange so obviously this has to be orange so make some orange terracotta (what do you mean they're made of plastic).
I can't quite find the word for this kind of stupidity but requiring a result to be a specific dye because that's what color the item is and obviously it needs to be that color really annoys me. Also since most dyeing in Minecraft requires 8 of the item I always end up with leftover black stained glass or blue wool or something.

I'm pretty annoyed by things that require like 4-5 dyed terracotta or glass, which you can only make 8 at a time. And the rest just gets thrown away. But yeah I've had a few things that have needed purple dye lately, and also there's the old Railcraft Crowbar that needs red dye because it's a red crowbar.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

You guys probably wouldn't like Crimson Skies, then, because making metal ore requires colored terracotta. That being said, it's not like you end up with extras -- you just use em all to make metals, and you have botania's flowers for making dye.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
The pro modder move is accepting all color variants of materials with them, and your choice is effected like with the Botania wand

it's not a big problem with red and yellow dye, but asking for purple/pink/cyan is right the heck out

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

While we're complaining, I really wish that JEI would stop including chiseled block variants in recipes when the needed material is just an oredict thing. It adds another step to populating the crafting window when I click on the loving decorative redstone block and have to find the regular redstone block in the huge list of chiseled variants.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

You need an Energy Acceptor to power your network.

The point of Blightfall isn't really to teach you how to use mods. It's intended for people who are already experienced. If you're new, you'll have additional challenges and/or googling to do.

Oh, I see. That makes sense, in retrospect!

Here’s a thing. There is a quite good list of essentia sources on the minecraft wiki. Is there a similar, Blightfall specific list somewhere? Maybe in the old Blightfall thread?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

You guys probably wouldn't like Crimson Skies, then, because making metal ore requires colored terracotta. That being said, it's not like you end up with extras -- you just use em all to make metals, and you have botania's flowers for making dye.
Making dyed objects isn't really the problem, it's making them for no reason (as mentioned above, "this needs red dye because it's a red crowbar!" and there's no plain metal crowbar, for instance). And also the fact that making them usually leaves you with worthless leftovers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Ariong posted:

Oh, I see. That makes sense, in retrospect!

Here’s a thing. There is a quite good list of essentia sources on the minecraft wiki. Is there a similar, Blightfall specific list somewhere? Maybe in the old Blightfall thread?

this isnt too bad from memory

https://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Mods/Thaumcraft/Recipes/Aspect_Sources