Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Boxman posted:

I’ve been meaning to ask his for a while but keep forgetting - do they have some prepared explanation of why guests don’t need masks to not die in Pandora? Like, “humans can’t breathe pandoran air” is one of the few plot points in that movie.

Obviously the actual answer is “you’re in Florida” but surely they have a better answer if a kid asks about it.

Would a kid actually know that plot point from Avatar since it came out that long ago?

I'm curious to know actually if Disney preps and answer for it too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Boxman posted:

I’ve been meaning to ask his for a while but keep forgetting - do they have some prepared explanation of why guests don’t need masks to not die in Pandora? Like, “humans can’t breathe pandoran air” is one of the few plot points in that movie.

Obviously the actual answer is “you’re in Florida” but surely they have a better answer if a kid asks about it.

Scientists were able to introduce a new fauna on the planet that reduced the dangerous levels of CO2 in the atmosphere that made it poisonous for humans.

Done. Disney you can mail me the check.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
It’s that water plant the one that sprays you. That’s why you can breath on Pandora. The backstory was totally set up there haha.

As guests enter the land from Discovery Island, they encounter a large Pandoran plant known as the Flaska Reclinata (or Baja Tickler). The plant is interactive and responds to guests touching it. It glows at night and the bioluminescent forest glows and reacts along with the plant. The plant is one of many that helps detoxify the atmosphere helping humans breath in the otherwise poisonous air."

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

One word, microclimate.

Also a fever got in the way of my trip last week to try out the new Diamond Horseshoe menu, just read this review and it seems like an improvement if lacking in variety.

https://wdwnt.com/2018/05/review-magic-kingdoms-diamond-horseshoe-polishes-up-new-lunch-entrees/

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Same answer for everything in this world: white man came and hosed up the environment

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."

Quixotic1 posted:

One word, microclimate.

Also a fever got in the way of my trip last week to try out the new Diamond Horseshoe menu, just read this review and it seems like an improvement if lacking in variety.

https://wdwnt.com/2018/05/review-magic-kingdoms-diamond-horseshoe-polishes-up-new-lunch-entrees/

That actually looks pretty awesome.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Cais posted:

Passholes is such a beautiful word.

Many of my in-laws are annual passholders. What kinds of passholic behaviours should I be watching out for? Is there a BINGO card?

Generalissimo
Jun 13, 2003

Bottom Liner posted:

Same answer for everything in this world: white man came and hosed up the environment
Ah, the beauty of racism.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

For TSL, did they renovate existing land they had and remove attractions to fit this in, or did Disney acquire new land to build TSL on, or did Disney already own the land but were figuring out what to build on it?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

TV Zombie posted:

For TSL, did they renovate existing land they had and remove attractions to fit this in, or did Disney acquire new land to build TSL on, or did Disney already own the land but were figuring out what to build on it?

Disney has TONS of unused land. They already owned it.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

couldcareless posted:

Scientists were able to introduce a new fauna on the planet that reduced the dangerous levels of CO2 in the atmosphere that made it poisonous for humans.

Yeah but then how does the shaman in the river ride not die? :thunk:

Also I'm actually sure this is true but lol at the expansion of the movie being all about "don't gently caress up the environment" being "let's gently caress up the environment."

TV Zombie posted:

It was all re-used land. I don't remember exactly what was where back there, but the Lights, Motors, Action Stunt Show, Backlot Studio Tour, and the Streets of America area were all razed to provide space for Toy Story Land and Galaxy's Edge.

Barring something really outside the box, Disney will never need to buy land in Florida again. The initial planning for the project involved buying massive gently caress-off tracts of land in secret so that holdouts wouldn't create financial difficulties in the future. This has resulted in Disney owning more land than it'll ever reasonably need.

E:f;b but I gave a link to a wiki page. :colbert:

EDIT 2: I poked around for some numbers just for funsies. The 4 parks plus the 2 water parks works out to being about 2 square miles of land. The Reedy Creek Improvement District is 38.6 sq miles. Obviously big chunks of that is unavailable for further development due to parking lots, roads, waterways, and hotels, but, point is, Disney owns a lot of land.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 14:39 on May 25, 2018

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
your explanation was a million times better than mine so it's okay, I admit defeat.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Cais posted:

It’s that water plant the one that sprays you. That’s why you can breath on Pandora. The backstory was totally set up there haha.

As guests enter the land from Discovery Island, they encounter a large Pandoran plant known as the Flaska Reclinata (or Baja Tickler). The plant is interactive and responds to guests touching it. It glows at night and the bioluminescent forest glows and reacts along with the plant. The plant is one of many that helps detoxify the atmosphere helping humans breath in the otherwise poisonous air."

Also the guests are exploring Pandora about 100 years after the events of the film, so there has been a long time to have the plants do that detoxifying.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Cais posted:

Last time I was there the plant wasn’t squirting water out of its tip when rubbed. Does that mean we were in danger of toxic atmosphere? :ohdear:

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Renegret posted:

Disney has TONS of unused land. They already owned it.

huh. ok. Then I gotta wonder why they didn't do this earlier because I was watching a Korean Variety show and they showed Disney Hong Kong and they had Toy Story Land already. Are Disneylands in other countries have attractions that Disneyland will consider putting California and Florida if they are successful over there?

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
It's not like Disney has a top-down uniform approach to the Disney Parks. Each park sorta has it's own thing going on. I'm not 100% certain, but I think the China parks are independently operated by different branches of Disney Parks, while Tokyo is operated by a different company (The Oriental Land Company) with some collaboration by Disney. There's definitely been some conflict/uniformity between Anaheim and Orlando, and at one point both were being overseen by the same group. But as of late they've restructured so that they're both independent branches. The only thing they share is probably the imagineer team, though that may be ignorance on my part.

But what that's getting to is, they all run in accordance to each Park's needs in relation to their location. For example, the Haunted Mansion. In America, we have a national tradition of Horror as entertainment (such as the Headless Horseman, or Edgar Allen Poe, or the Universal Monster movies), and so both Anaheim and Orlando have fairly uniform fun and somewhat humorous romps. While Paris has a much more serious and sombre perspective on Death (reflected in works like Phantom of the Opera), and so Phantom Manor is a more straight faced and sinister take on the original ride. As for China, they have a more controversial stance on life after death, and so their 'Haunted Mansion' was completely reworked from scratch. So Hong Kong is a more magical themed madcap adventure that features no spirits or death (or even the same scenes or ride system), and was renamed Mystic Manor.

Point being that each group in charge of each parks can't necessarily copy what's going on elsewhere and expect it to work. That's nearly what got Disneyland Paris shutdown. And has been mentioned, the availability of Land is a huge factor. Disneyland and Tokyo Disneyland can't necessarily copy Toy Story Land, as land surrounding them is at a huge premium. In Disneyland's case, it would mean having to purchase hotels, raze them, reroute traffic, all at huge $$$ millions of dollars, or to build over what's already on property. That's why A Bug's Land had to be demolished to make way for their new Superhero Land.

In anycase, it can be beneficial to wait before copying what other parks do. Such as the case where they used Shanghai as a testing grounds for new rides. In that case, the Tron Coaster was likely never destined to come to Anaheim or Orlando after the lukewarm reception of Tron:Legacy. But after the strong reaction both in the park and online internationally, Disney is both prioritizing construction in Orlando and are likely eyeing how to make it work in Anaheim.

Atricks
Nov 5, 2003
Hurricane Man

TV Zombie posted:

huh. ok. Then I gotta wonder why they didn't do this earlier because I was watching a Korean Variety show and they showed Disney Hong Kong and they had Toy Story Land already. Are Disneylands in other countries have attractions that Disneyland will consider putting California and Florida if they are successful over there?

A lot of people wondered this as well, they added so very little to the parks for the past 15 years or so (Future world at epcot need to be overhauled 10 years ago and still hasn't been) to the point any minor addition is slammed because folks are starved for something new. Only very recently has that started to change, and even with Star Wars DHS has not enough to do because it'll be uncomfortably slammed once it opens for a good while after that.

Atricks fucked around with this message at 13:02 on May 26, 2018

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
There was a time when they were struggling to get people into the parks right after the recession, so dumping big money into development and construction of huge major attractions was taken slowly.
At this point, at least in Florida, they can't keep people out, so yeah, spend that money, the park will just print more.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Gonna sound weird but any recommendations for a haircut in the resort? I'd jokingly try main Street but that's a pretty low chance.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grand Floridian spa but eh. Also the tip to Main Street barber is call the day before you want to go

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I always forget about that barbershop on Main Street. Seems kinda fun for a one off thing.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Skeezy posted:

I always forget about that barbershop on Main Street. Seems kinda fun for a one off thing.

be sure to ask for pixie dust w/ your haircut

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

City walk was really depressing after having gone to Disney springs the night before. The chocolate stout at the willy wonka steampunk place was pretty decent though.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

kri kri posted:

City walk was really depressing after having gone to Disney springs the night before. The chocolate stout at the willy wonka steampunk place was pretty decent though.

Disney Springs always seems to have something new open or opening that week or even being developed. It's great.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Empress Brosephine posted:

Grand Floridian spa but eh. Also the tip to Main Street barber is call the day before you want to go

Awaiting my main street appointment and weighing my options of getting the glitter gel or not.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Glitter. You’re in the one place where it’s totally acceptable.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Skeezy posted:

Disney Springs always seems to have something new open or opening that week or even being developed. It's great.

I didn't like most of the changes from when it was downtown disney. The new theming is nice and there are still some interesting shops and restaurants but they've turned 2/3rds of it into a slightly upscale but otherwise pretty vanilla outdoor mall.

City Walk has always been mildly poo poo tho.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Nathilus posted:

I didn't like most of the changes from when it was downtown disney. The new theming is nice and there are still some interesting shops and restaurants but they've turned 2/3rds of it into a slightly upscale but otherwise pretty vanilla outdoor mall.

City Walk has always been mildly poo poo tho.

The mall stuff wasn't converted, it was all just new additions. I see a lot of people saying they miss Downtown Disney but other than Disney Quest and a few shops that have rotated out (none of note IMO) everything is still there.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

The mall stuff wasn't converted, it was all just new additions. I see a lot of people saying they miss Downtown Disney but other than Disney Quest and a few shops that have rotated out (none of note IMO) everything is still there.

I think I miss the vibe of Downtown Disney vs the vibe of Get Me Your Manager Haircuts.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Living outside of Tampa, Disney Springs was nothing special and nothing different than the million Spanish themed outdoors malls around there, especially the Lutz Mall.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
But that said I do like Fisney Sprigs but yeah it’s nothing special anymore. Especially since half the shops are Marvel and Star Wars

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Anya posted:

Glitter. You’re in the one place where it’s totally acceptable.

Opted for both the "pixie dust" and "pirate treasure" and you definitely get more cast member comments, about as much as a birthday or just married pin so far.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Quixotic1 posted:

just married

congrats!

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Whoops didn't mean to say I got hitched,just that the glitter gets you cast member comments like those pins.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
How much glitter do you get? Bucketfuls? Dusting?

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Anya posted:

How much glitter do you get? Bucketfuls? Dusting?

I got a lite dusting, my niece looks like she dumped her head in a jar of it along with being shot with a confetti cannon.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Quixotic1 posted:

I got a lite dusting, my niece looks like she dumped her head in a jar of it along with being shot with a confetti cannon.

My daughter got that. It took weeks for it all to come out.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

My youngest had her first haircut there a few years ago. They put gel on her hair but the glitter wasn't mixed into it. They just sprinkled a bunch of large foil glitter on her that pretty much blew away on the People Mover. That tells you how little it was glued down. It was great though because I wasn't dealing with glitter herpes forever.

Here's a pic because my kid is cute.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

I salute your daughter for having the best band color. Orange magic band forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
So the announcement at Galactic Nights that the village we visit on Batuu is called Black is very cool but even cooler is the fact that it gets name dropped in Solo (no spoilers), which came out a few days before the announcement. Very clever, Disney and Lucasfilm. Very clever.