Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Artum posted:

It's a harpoon. Supposedly heavy 1 doing 2d6 with rerolls to hit against big things, and possibly a melee profile too.

Oh hey, someone liked the ursus claws from Betrayer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
So I just started playing 40k with my friends and had a great time! I painted up two boxes of “start collecting” mechanicum, borrowed a buddy’s onager and muddled my way through two games. I really enjoyed myself, but i left the table wishing that I had stronger options for seizing objectives.

I read and familiarized myself with 4chan’s tactic section on the mechanicum and one of the strategies they suggest is playing as mars and dropping in a bunch of robot ninjas (sicarian infiltrators) to run around and harass the enemy’s backlines. Have you guys ever seen anything like that be effective? I want my future list to have an emphasis on mobility since we are limiting ourselves to 1k points for the foreseeable future, so running Cawl and a bunch of robots wouldn’t be a particularly efficient use of points at that level.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
As excited as i am about the new knights, I’m most looking forward to that freeblade dude.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

So I just started playing 40k with my friends and had a great time! I painted up two boxes of “start collecting” mechanicum, borrowed a buddy’s onager and muddled my way through two games. I really enjoyed myself, but i left the table wishing that I had stronger options for seizing objectives.

I read and familiarized myself with 4chan’s tactic section on the mechanicum and one of the strategies they suggest is playing as mars and dropping in a bunch of robot ninjas (sicarian infiltrators) to run around and harass the enemy’s backlines. Have you guys ever seen anything like that be effective? I want my future list to have an emphasis on mobility since we are limiting ourselves to 1k points for the foreseeable future, so running Cawl and a bunch of robots wouldn’t be a particularly efficient use of points at that level.

Welcome to the hobby, yeah backline harass is generally very useful to have since for a lot of army's tanks once you charge them they'll basically be helpless for the rest of the game.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

For backline tricks Stygies is a far better option, as you can opt to infiltrate any unit for 1CP and the -1 to hit >12” improves your survivability in the process. Rangers and Vanguard are actually surprisingly good at holding objectives, as you get a 1CP stratagem to improve their armor and add an attack if you’re on an objective.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

PierreTheMime posted:

as you get a 1CP stratagem to improve their armor and add an attack if you’re on an objective.

2cp sadly, I wish it was that cheap.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Artum posted:

2cp sadly, I wish it was that cheap.

Whoops, misremembered. You are correct. It’s still a solid option though.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Its also worth noting that despite their tank treads, kataphrons are indeed infantry, so if you have that and shroud psalm up at the same time you've got t5 3w 2+6++sv infantry, 1+ if they're breachers.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Artum posted:

Its also worth noting that despite their tank treads, kataphrons are indeed infantry, so if you have that and shroud psalm up at the same time you've got t5 3w 2+6++sv infantry, 1+ if they're breachers.

As much as I love the models and their firepower, they’re in the sweet spot of targeting for high damage fire, particularly predator autocannons and the like. I still run a unit at least, but unless you’re stomping the enemy expect them to disappear.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Artum posted:

Yeah, I was looking at Ryza too as a possible Forgeworld so I can go heavy on the plasma. I’m not super thrilled with the idea of being Mars or Stygies because, despite their obvious effectiveness, I am a silly tech priest and like the idea of trying to play a less common Forgeworld to keep other players on their toes.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Yeah, I was looking at Ryza too as a possible Forgeworld so I can go heavy on the plasma. I’m not super thrilled with the idea of being Mars or Stygies because, despite their obvious effectiveness, I am a silly tech priest and like the idea of trying to play a less common Forgeworld to keep other players on their toes.

I used graia to great effect at our state tournament last weekend. The trait and stratagem are really clutch when it counts.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Hencoe posted:

I used graia to great effect at our state tournament last weekend. The trait and stratagem are really clutch when it counts.

What kind of list did you play with? I don’t want anything in depth or like that, but any kind of direction would be helpful! Like I said before I have two start collecting boxes painted and modeled up, so right now I’m debating what to buy next. One of my friends plays 1000 Sons, so Graia would be a viable option for me to play as!

Killer_Bees!
Dec 25, 2005

I, for one, welcome
our new insect overlords.
Buglord
Fuuuuuck that new Renegade box rerelease :allears: I am going to try and snag 3 or 4 of them and sell the bits separately and end up with free terrain galore (and maybe keep one)

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

PierreTheMime posted:

As much as I love the models and their firepower, they’re in the sweet spot of targeting for high damage fire, particularly predator autocannons and the like. I still run a unit at least, but unless you’re stomping the enemy expect them to disappear.

Hey if they want to shoot tanky infantry instead of my neutron crabs they're welcome to.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

What kind of list did you play with? I don’t want anything in depth or like that, but any kind of direction would be helpful! Like I said before I have two start collecting boxes painted and modeled up, so right now I’m debating what to buy next. One of my friends plays 1000 Sons, so Graia would be a viable option for me to play as!

I used mine as backup for my knights, just with a dominus, enginseer and a bunch of infantry. With the get started dunecrawlers with the neutron laser give you excellent anti tank. I prefer vanguard to rangers just because of volume of fire and those 2 damage 6s can add up real quick.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Artum posted:

It's a harpoon. Supposedly heavy 1 doing 2d6 with rerolls to hit against big things, and possibly a melee profile too.

Gonna be real sad if knights get a harpoon gun and it doesnt pull enemies towards them. Want to hear about knights pulling a Scorpion on a tank before throwing it at another tank.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
What's a good back line harasser for Tyranids? Getting used to fighting people with a gunline in the back ranks and I'd like something for that. Harpy has a bonkers 30" move but not sure it's the best unit for that.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

bird food bathtub posted:

What's a good back line harasser for Tyranids? Getting used to fighting people with a gunline in the back ranks and I'd like something for that. Harpy has a bonkers 30" move but not sure it's the best unit for that.

I regularly field Harpies for exactly this reason and the potential extra damage that spore mines and heavy venom cannons produce. I play as Kraken and you essentially just bounce from one unit to another each turn until they’re dead or your Harpies are. A good turn one assault in the backline can stymie your opponent’s momentum to a degree that you can just take them apart as you please.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
No clue how effective infantry GSC are, but the entire faction has Cult Ambush, which is one of the few turn-one deep strike units, they might be useful for backline harass.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
If the Armigers are less expensive I should be able to field three of them with the battalion I am working on and have 1500 points painted. Hooray!

In my ideal world I will be able to ditch the CC weapons and field dual thermal spears on the Warglaives. I feel like being forced to pay for a CC weapon that they suck at using isn't really viable.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Neurolimal posted:

No clue how effective infantry GSC are, but the entire faction has Cult Ambush, which is one of the few turn-one deep strike units, they might be useful for backline harass.

Incredibly bad AFAIK

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
From Facebook:

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 00:34 on May 28, 2018

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

From Facebook:

Aw yiss they’re going to include traitors in the same book. :getin:

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

From Facebook:

Extremely horney for these Brettonia bots

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

PierreTheMime posted:

Don't get your hopes up, the leaked houses only had questor imperialis and questor mechanics, and this is one of them.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

PierreTheMime posted:

I think the allegiance thing is Imperial Knights/Mechanicus Knights, not loyalist/traitor.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
If a bunch of people have access to leaks why has nobody posted a link?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Artum posted:

Don't get your hopes up, the leaked houses only had questor imperialis and questor mechanics, and this is one of them.

Blarg. I mean, it’s still going to be cool, but it would have been nice if they bridged that gap and it’s one of the only books where they could have fit them both with little or no extra work.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Technowolf posted:

I think the allegiance thing is Imperial Knights/Mechanicus Knights, not loyalist/traitor.

What is the difference between IK MK?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

whether they're loyal to the Imperium or to the Mechanicum, I imagine.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Mechanicum Knights get a unique stratagem called “Knight of the Cog” which lets them take advantage of the Canticle of the Omnissiah, which they otherwise couldn’t since they aren’t a part of the Forgeworld detachment the proper Adeptus Mechanicus army is in.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Mechanicus can use a stratagem to give questor mechanicus units the current canticle for the battle round for 1cp, so a knight with cover or reroll 1s in ranged/melee or +1 strength, and tech priests can fix knights for 1 wound or if you take a specific warlord trait and use a stratagem can fix 4 wounds a turn.

Pendent posted:

If a bunch of people have access to leaks why has nobody posted a link?
Because its not like when we had literally the assets from the dynasty codes page, so masses of salt were required.

Some Nerd posted:

Questor Imperial Houses

Terryn: extra d6 advance or change
Cadmus: reroll wounds in CC on anything with less than 12w profile
Griffith: +1A when charging, charged, or via Heroic Intervention.
Mortan: +1 to hit when charging, charged, or via Heroic Intervention.
Hawkshroud: has double wounds for statline purposes when damaged

Questor Mechanicus Houses

Raven: When they make Advance moves, treat Heavy weapons as Assault weapons.
Taranis: 6+ FNP against Mortal Wounds.
Krast: RR hits when charging, charged, or via Heroic Intervention against TITAN keyword
Vulker: Rerolls 1’s when targeting the closest enemy unit during the shooting phase.

Artum fucked around with this message at 01:40 on May 28, 2018

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
All in on Hawkshroud

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Yeah, MK are directly tied to a forge world, IK are tied to a knight world. Hawkshroud are IK, they just own some random planet that has a lot of agriculture. House Taranis is MK, they're literally from Mars.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I'll post my walker from a few months back. Eventually I'd love to get more of them

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Since we've seen the valiant now and the weapons match up might as well pass this along.

other nerds posted:

Warden roughly being 411 points rather than 466.
New super Knights are both in the same kit, will cost around 670 points each.
Armiger with stubber now 164.

Pre-order on 2nd June, 9th for release.

Castellan and Valiant both have 4 1 shot missiles - s10 -4ap D6dmg, IGNORES INVULNS
Shoulder cannons are essentially autocannons with d3 damage. 4d3 shots in total.

Valiant - Thundercoil harpoon - heavy 1, s16 -6ap, 2d6 dmg. Reroll hits vs vehicles and monsters +d3 mortal wounds if you cause any damage.
Valiant - Conflagration Cannon - 18" range, heavy 3, s6, -1ap, 2 dmg, autohits. But also says heavy 3, d6 dmg, so i think something has got mixed up here.

Castellan - Volcano Lance - range 80", heavy d6, s14, -4ap, 2d6dmg.
Castellan - Plasma Decimator - range 40", heavy 2d6 plasma cannon.

Which tbh I'm hoping isnt true what with those earlier leaks saying theres a stratagem to use those missiles on characters, and that basically reads "kill target dude".

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

mango sentinel posted:

All in on Hawkshroud

Yeah that seems like the most powerful option by far, although the CYOA Freelancer rules could be interesting.

Artum posted:

Since we've seen the valiant now and the weapons match up might as well pass this along.

other nerds posted:

Warden roughly being 411 points rather than 466.
New super Knights are both in the same kit, will cost around 670 points each.
Armiger with stubber now 164.

Pre-order on 2nd June, 9th for release.

Castellan and Valiant both have 4 1 shot missiles - s10 -4ap D6dmg, IGNORES INVULNS
Shoulder cannons are essentially autocannons with d3 damage. 4d3 shots in total.

Valiant - Thundercoil harpoon - heavy 1, s16 -6ap, 2d6 dmg. Reroll hits vs vehicles and monsters +d3 mortal wounds if you cause any damage.
Valiant - Conflagration Cannon - 18" range, heavy 3, s6, -1ap, 2 dmg, autohits. But also says heavy 3, d6 dmg, so i think something has got mixed up here.

Castellan - Volcano Lance - range 80", heavy d6, s14, -4ap, 2d6dmg.
Castellan - Plasma Decimator - range 40", heavy 2d6 plasma cannon.

Which tbh I'm hoping isnt true what with those earlier leaks saying theres a stratagem to use those missiles on characters, and that basically reads "kill target dude".

I really hope they give people more flexibility in terms of weapon choices.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
If that harpoon can't reel things in to the Knight (and counts them as in melee for the Fight phase) it would be a travesty.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Shockeh posted:

If that harpoon can't reel things in to the Knight (and counts them as in melee for the Fight phase) it would be a travesty.

If it's based on the harpoon claws from Betrayer (where they were used by Warhounds), they're not used that way - in that book the harpoons were used to trip Titans and pull them down, or en masse to bind the guns of huge titans (an Imperator in the book) to disable them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Contemptor with 10 wounds and a single shot multimelta is 3 points more than that armiger with a d3 shot multimelta. Sounds balanced.