Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Sucks for you guys dealing with that poo poo. Stay safe, MD goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.

sharknado slashfic posted:

Yeah I'm nearby as well, glad everyone is safe. My gutters have pretty much given up at this point and my basement carpet is wet but that doesn't seem like such a big deal in the scheme of things.

Yeah this was me last week. Had gutters cleaned Friday, but spending 1100 on new basement carpet as my house goes on the market this week.

At least I won't have to worry about rain while I rent in Los Angeles.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Under his Eye.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
For context on Ellicott City:

https://twitter.com/Accu_Jesse/status/1000878477204246528?s=19

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Last time this happened, we almost lost a goon.

Toshimo posted:

Crosspost from Baltimore thread:

I'm just glad we got everyone out.

Then we got split up. And I got hit by a log and fell. I got dragged about 70 yards downhill by the water until I clawed the way to the side of the road and slammed into a car. My upstairs neighbor risked himself to pull me to safety. But everyone else is fine (more or less). I've got about a million miles of nasty road rash.

Fortunately, I didn't lose everything, but the house is definitely unlivable and dangerous to be in at all. I managed to sneak in with a friend last night to get some pictures and rescue a few critical items.

http://imgur.com/a/Hxfnj

That kind of water level rise is poo poo loving scary and why I always- ALWAYS- take flash flood warnings seriously. I frequently walk Lando near Rock Creek, and if one of those is in effect, we go another route, no matter how unlikely it is that I could be affected.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

that's terrifying

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Last time this happened, we almost lost a goon.

That kind of water level rise is poo poo loving scary and why I always- ALWAYS- take flash flood warnings seriously. I frequently walk Lando near Rock Creek, and if one of those is in effect, we go another route, no matter how unlikely it is that I could be affected.

growing up in the SW US teaches you to respect flash floods. People are constantly drowning in the middle of the desert when they can't even see clouds(this is drilled into you as a kid because desert flash floods are scary as gently caress)

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I was supposed to go to Toshimo's cookout that day but got a last minute project in Germany. Pretty crazy that nobody died, given where his house is relative to the river.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Never ending climate crisis is here.

:stoked:

Urban sprawl covering everything in impermeable surfaces is probably the biggest influence in increased flash flooding.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Stultus Maximus posted:

Urban sprawl covering everything in impermeable surfaces is probably the biggest influence in increased flash flooding.

In Houston this is a feature, not a big - they apparently intended for the streets to turn into waterways during flooding.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Facebook wants me to tell everyone I'm safe from, quote, "the Flooding in Greater Baltimore Area". Thanks Facebook algorithm, I'm glad you care enough to match a disaster in column A with a geographical location in column B. The future is weird.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Stultus Maximus posted:

This is definitely a problem in EC, the whole of main street is a funnel of rock, concrete and asphalt.

Well, it was at any rate. I don't see how they can rebuild again after this.

RIP The Phoenix, we'll always have that one new years eve when I got thrown out.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

This is definitely a problem in EC, the whole of main street is a funnel of rock, concrete and asphalt.

RIP The Phoenix, we'll always have that one new years eve when I got thrown out.

Yeah, the raining hasn't even stopped yet and people are already pointing blame on the county for various and sundry reasons.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
There are many levels of hosed up ness here

https://twitter.com/AntonioArellano/status/1000831511405395969?s=19

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
MML.

I have tomorrow off. If you find anything about cleanup volunteers let me know?

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Laranzu posted:

MML.

I have tomorrow off. If you find anything about cleanup volunteers let me know?

Will do.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Yeah twice in two years? Which insurance company is dumb enough to cover that.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
More than likely as climate change becomes more and more real places will start to depopulate because they're tired of the weather gods wiping the slate clean so frequently.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

psydude posted:

Yeah twice in two years? Which insurance company is dumb enough to cover that.

The government.

Assuming the flood insurance program isn't already bankrupt four times over.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
As much as I love the federal flood insurance program I’m mad it became a free insurance system for wealthy white prople who build nice houses in water prone areas.

The original legislation should have come with some major restrictions on building homes in dangerous areas.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Yeah. If you want to be real mad, watch HGTV poo poo like Beachfront Bargain Hunt and count the houses they show that will be insurance claims in the near future.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Yeah. If you want to be real mad, watch HGTV poo poo like Beachfront Bargain Hunt and count the houses they show that will be insurance claims in the near future.

Actually, there's an increase in insurance companies refusing to cover Beachfront homes, or covering them at significantly higher rates, because they know what's going to happen.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

CommieGIR posted:

Actually, there's an increase in insurance companies refusing to cover Beachfront homes, or covering them at significantly higher rates, because they know what's going to happen.

That almost makes me have a slight bit of hope, until I realize that it's to keep profits high and shareholders happy.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Some good news to cap this off

https://twitter.com/baltimoresun/status/1000912666431508481

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

The government.

Assuming the flood insurance program isn't already bankrupt four times over.

Does federal flood insurance cover businesses though? Because most of the buildings in downtown EC are commercial.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Yeah it's truly a miracle that there doesn't appear to be any major injuries or fatalities. Hopefully that's still true in the morning. :ohdear:

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

RFC2324 posted:

growing up in the SW US teaches you to respect flash floods. People are constantly drowning in the middle of the desert when they can't even see clouds(this is drilled into you as a kid because desert flash floods are scary as gently caress)

Yeah, there's a reason La Llorona is a thing.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Crakkerjakk posted:

Yeah, there's a reason La Llorona is a thing.

Yeah I was kinda weirded out when Coco featured a song about la Llorona.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tr1Vw63B1MI

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Never had to deal with that as an east coaster but good on em for scaring the gently caress out of kids when neccessary. I remember the local power company used to run these PSAs about electrical safety with catchy songs, except for the one about substations. Then it was just straight up "Hey, Kid. GET THE gently caress OUT."

https://youtu.be/sHMG-g4S5vY

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
https://twitter.com/cjciaramella/status/1000028980857188356?s=19

god this is just

gently caress

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Best suggestion I've seen for federal flood insurance program is:

A) Fund it fully for existing recipients.
B) No more new recipients.
C) Anyone who gets their house destroyed gets the value of their house for a new property in their current county (prevents the tax base from evaporating).
D) Certain high risk/repeat flooding areas get actively bought out, demoed, and rebuilt as active flood control nature areas.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Incredible.

http://nashvillepublicradio.org/post/he-heads-back-prison-nashville-man-says-goodbye-new-life-he-hoped-build

quote:

He’s going to prison. To finish out a 35-year term for selling crack to an informant in the 90’s.

Charles had already served 21 years before his sentence was cut short as a result of crack guideline changes passed by the Obama administration. But the U.S. Attorney’s office appealed his release on the grounds that Charles was legally considered a “career offender” due to a prior stint in state prison. They said the retroactive change in the law did not apply to him — and a Court of Appeals agreed.

http://nashvillepublicradio.org/post/three-years-mayor-barry-could-have-clean-record-again

quote:

As part of Mayor Megan Barry’s plea deal, she will have to serve three years of unsupervised probation.

And once that’s over? The Mayor may end up with a clean record.

Barry resigned this morning just an hour after entering a conditional guilty plea on one charge of theft of property over $10,000.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

BUT CLINTON!!!!!

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Mayor Barry is the gift that keeps on giving to conservative pundits.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Happy insincere lip service day, GIP

NSA WIZARD
Jan 20, 2016

WORKING OUT THE BUGS ON THE MELANIA-BOT. SHE'LL BE BACK IN THE NEWS SOON.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

NSA WIZARD posted:

WORKING OUT THE BUGS ON THE MELANIA-BOT. SHE'LL BE BACK IN THE NEWS SOON.

You were believable until now :(

Caufman
May 7, 2007

McNally posted:

Happy insincere lip service day, GIP

Dark but true. I better buy a grill.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

President Bush Sr is in the hospital again. Doesn't sound too dangerous, but when you're 93 any hospital stay poses risk.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/may/27/president-george-hw-bush-hospital-maine

Gonna be legit angry if Memorial Day does him in.

e: two posts early, but I want to post a dog anyway.

Arc Light fucked around with this message at 11:45 on May 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2018/05/26/service-dog-delivers-8-puppies-tampa-florida-airport/647404002/

Imagine if she went into labor on the plane.

• Locked thread