Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

The Grey posted:

As someone who has never played Cities: Skylines, what's the best way to get into it?

It's on sale right now for $7.49. Should I just go with that? Are the DLCs important, or does the base game have enough where it will be a long time before I care about them? Also, is this game and it's DLC something that's available on Humble Bundle often like Tropico?

Absolutely none of the DLCs are important and they go on sale pretty regularly if you do want them. The base game is good, with a few annoyances, and with the right mods and workshop assets it can be great depending on what you’re looking for. If it sounds like your kind of thing, you will probably not be disappointed for that price.

Vienna Circlejerk fucked around with this message at 23:46 on May 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit

Poil posted:

But you can't combine them with bus lanes, trams, monorail or any other combinations. :(

Dumb question but do people on bikes get on buses?

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

he1ixx posted:

These are awesome! I need a little section in my city for them. Too bad I don’t have cobblestone streets to add in....

Urbanist's Street Designs collection has a few.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
doing a little bit of work now that mods have updated and things aren't breaking

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Banana Man posted:

Dumb question but do people on bikes get on buses?

I don't think so? Someone feel free to correct me.

They definitely take subway/metro on bike though

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
So, I got all the DLC thanks to the Steam sale, and got Parks from Fanatical for 15% off.

How do I make a bitchin' park?

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

IAmTheRad posted:

So, I got all the DLC thanks to the Steam sale, and got Parks from Fanatical for 15% off.

How do I make a bitchin' park?

Building near a shore/river/lake and you can add a couple of shore-based attractions, piers, sea animal enclosures etc...

Or make your own, the fresh water pump that Green Cities introduced, enables artificial rivers, dig out a basin in the park and add an outflow for the water, and WHAM, you get a nice looking river towards the sea and a bunch of additional options for your park.

Also, remember that you can mix in buildings from all four park types, without penalties, I've set up a massive mega park, with poo poo from all four types and it is popular as poo poo.

However, you're going to use the "Park" buildings the most, I mean, how many Zoos and amusement parks does a city really need?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

RagnarokZ posted:

Building near a shore/river/lake and you can add a couple of shore-based attractions, piers, sea animal enclosures etc...

Or make your own, the fresh water pump that Green Cities introduced, enables artificial rivers, dig out a basin in the park and add an outflow for the water, and WHAM, you get a nice looking river towards the sea and a bunch of additional options for your park.

Also, remember that you can mix in buildings from all four park types, without penalties, I've set up a massive mega park, with poo poo from all four types and it is popular as poo poo.

However, you're going to use the "Park" buildings the most, I mean, how many Zoos and amusement parks does a city really need?

Roller Coaster Mass Transit. :colbert:

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

RagnarokZ posted:

So, same idea if I am making a smaller inner-neighbourhood park? Like something just locals can go to in order to relax? I doubt I need a huge rear end area for basically a small walking park where someone might spend a couple of hours for a picnic, instead of all day like at a zoo or an amusement park.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

RagnarokZ posted:

One hundred and twenty-three :colbert:

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Had the base game since 2016, never bothered booting it up until March of this year. I've since bought all the discounted DLC (except for Natural Disasters and some radio stations) and just bought Parklife.

Is it normal to get headaches when playing this game? I think it's just my brain using parts of it that've never been used before.

I'm at the point where I kind of prefer watching veterans play this game so I can sweep up good tips and pointers. I tend to start building a city, experience my first wall or roadblock (usually traffic) and then starting over - however I can't seem to learn from my previous mistakes.

Still... this game is super addicting.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Speaking of learning from veterans, here's my (very WIP) slums area that I'm detailing using tricks I've picked up from Strictoaster/Fluxtrance.

It's amazing how some dirt decals, grass decals, trees, and other foliage act in concert to make everything flow and look cohesive.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Seeing all this cool stuff makes me want to delete all the assets I have from the workshop that are breaking everything and start fresh, kinda :smith: so much work

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Well, after my first city fell victim to its own success (traffic :argh:), I'm starting a new one where I am going to give more thought to the types of roads I am building, and also the density of residences.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Speaking of traffic, anyone else have this issue where the Options menu is completely unusable while ingame? I can't switch from the Graphics section to the TMPE section, or to any other section for that matter.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I find the biggest problem I have with traffic is that I desperately want to use both the realistic population mod and have a bustling downtown area. What actually happens is it just gets clogged with service vehicles.

Super annoying.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yup. All the realistic traffic flow mods have really done for me is make my traffic far worse by physically representing like 30 ambulances that all come out of one facility at the same time and clog my roads. It's kind of a shame!

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
The sale must have everyone returning. I started playing again this weekend after a long hiatus since the game came out. I actually didn't buy anything since I bought all the DLC I wanted last time they went on sale.

So far, traffic is flowing pretty smoothly using Traffic Manager. I've been trying to be conscious about having some main arterial roads and using stop signs on the connecting side roads. So far everything is working nicely, but we'll have to see how it scales.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

Tiny Tubesteak Tom posted:

doing a little bit of work now that mods have updated and things aren't breaking

How did you get this sweet street map?

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

My friend likes playing this game with some mods but after getting Green Cities expansion one of his more important mods that automatically bulldozed abandoned buildings got disabled because it was last updated 3 years ago. Could I get a pointer to alternative for that mod?

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Sininu posted:

My friend likes playing this game with some mods but after getting Green Cities expansion one of his more important mods that automatically bulldozed abandoned buildings got disabled because it was last updated 3 years ago. Could I get a pointer to alternative for that mod?

Automatic Bulldoze v2

Might not be working too well with the Parklife though.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Thanks

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

Negrostrike posted:

Automatic Bulldoze v2

Might not be working too well with the Parklife though.

It's not working. Here's a nice list of mods that are currently broken/updated.
https://steamcommunity.com/app/255710/discussions/0/1694922345929126811/

Edit: Whoops, I just saw V1 not V2.
Either way this is a useful list.

xergm fucked around with this message at 21:06 on May 29, 2018

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

xergm posted:

It's not working. Here's a nice list of mods that are currently broken/updated.
https://steamcommunity.com/app/255710/discussions/0/1694922345929126811/

Uh, the post in your link says it is though?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

he1ixx posted:

curious about this as well

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Negrostrike posted:

Uh, the post in your link says it is though?

It breaks milestones for Parks.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

he1ixx posted:

Looks like CSL Map View.

It's a little bit iffy to use - you have to load your city, go into the pause menu, and then IIRC go to mods and there should be an export map option under CSL map view. Makes a big ol graphics file which is separate from the game.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

The workaround I use for this is to create themes with only the house sizes I want, but it does mean I have to futz around with themes and districts a lot more than I would otherwise. Realistic pop mod makes 4x4 LR a horrible waste, but even without it, you get more population out of a street lined with 1x1 homes than 4x4s:

I wish there were global settings for max building size for each zoning type instead, and minimum too since 1x1s that otherwise look great look like those ridiculous tiny houses when the game grows them next to a 4x4 (not unrealistic, though, if you’ve ever seen a new mcmansion built on a lot in a 1950s suburb).

While I’m going through my wish list, I wish I could theme road segments instead of districts, or just have themeable zoning. I guess at that level of detail I might as well just plop everything, but I guess I’m more at the nerd aquarium level than nerd bonsai.

uh... Building Themes mod and you can just make districts that only allow up to 2x2 growables

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Albino Squirrel posted:

Looks like CSL Map View.

It's a little bit iffy to use - you have to load your city, go into the pause menu, and then IIRC go to mods and there should be an export map option under CSL map view. Makes a big ol graphics file which is separate from the game.

Yup, it's CSL Map View, and it works best if you restrict it to a maximum size of 5x5 grid squares (which it calculates starting from the center starting square, so if you're using all of your tiles, you'll never get a clean, high res map out of your city)

Still, it's the best map making mod out there, blows Cimtographer out of the water. so much better than the OSM implementation

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

What does automatic bulldoze do?

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Minenfeld! posted:

What does automatic bulldoze do?

Automagically bulldozes any abandoned/destroyed buildings

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Automatic Bulldoze 2 is what you use instead of the original. The original is broken, will never be updated. 2 doesn't bulldoze if you have a disaster response building in your city.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

IAmTheRad posted:

Automatic Bulldoze 2 is what you use instead of the original. The original is broken, will never be updated. 2 doesn't bulldoze if you have a disaster response building in your city.

The new mod kept giving me some "invalid" errors in game, so I guess that one is out of order as well. At least for the time being.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Just use a no abandonment mod and forget abandonment exists, imo

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

but my immersion

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Just pretend your city has a homeowner policy that requires each prospective buyer to sign a lifelong contract that they must buy out if they want to move and the price is so incredibly high that nobody has the funds or bravery to pay it and leave. Really stick it to your citizens.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

C:SL is the reason why Steam should have a "subscribe to your friends' subscriptions" workshop option so one poor schmuck can do all the searching and testing and the rest of us can just click a single button for an awesome install.

Or even an export mod list to steam workshop links would be cool.

E: XCom 2 is another reason why. Get it together, Gabe.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 11:05 on May 30, 2018

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I wouldn't mind so much if there was a "quick bulldoze" button, or even a "demolition crew" building that sent out dudes to deal with it. Manually demolishing it is kinda boring, imo.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's also the reason Steam should have an "unsubscribe all" button because I do not like slowly chewing through 10 pages of mods I've subscribed to every time I wanna wipe the slate clean or a major content update comes out that breaks everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

CJacobs posted:

It's also the reason Steam should have an "unsubscribe all" button because I do not like slowly chewing through 10 pages of mods I've subscribed to every time I wanna wipe the slate clean or a major content update comes out that breaks everything.

add this to your bookmarks: java script:(function(){jQuery('[id^=UnsubscribeItemBtn]').map(function(){this.click()})})()