Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

S5e24: Ro and Geordi are cloaked, in terms of vision and matter intersction

Now this is a nice setup for that DS9 cloaking device that lands a federation test ship inside an asteroid

But also: how do they speak if they can't interact with the air around them? How do they breathe? They can walk through walls but don't fall through the floor even if doing judo? But you can push each other through the walls no problem? Handwavium strikes again!

S5E25:
Riker: Can you extrapolate the radiation trail?
Geordi: Yes, a planet in the blahblah system, called Kataan.
Data: yeah we haven't mapped that system yet but somehow we have named the planet

E: ooooh this is the episode for that comparison image of Patrick Stewart at 70 as Picard vs Patrick Steward at 70 irl looking... the same as during TNG

simplefish fucked around with this message at 18:48 on May 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
the show would be really boring if they had to think thru all their physics

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

"woundn't it be cool if... no wait wouldn't work"

*no scripts for star trek ever get written*

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Something about gravity plating acting as a magnet, but there's no gravity plating in the walls and their tissue is ionized enough from the exposure to the cloaking effect that it's making the very low-mass air phase and out of the material plan every time they breath but no one notices.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

basic hitler posted:

"woundn't it be cool if... no wait wouldn't work"

*no scripts for star trek ever get written*

basically the only scene you could do was picard and his brother fighting amongst the grapes

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

deep space nine, a bunch of people awkwardly make-do with each other in the cramped space of a station somewhere in the solar system, awkwardly doing hygeine in zero-g and spending time in centrifuges and doing weird exercises to minimize bone density loss and risk of cardiac events and taking data on boring as gently caress experiments and occasionally freaking out when a new ship docks. will something gently caress up? it's space. probably.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

simplefish posted:

S5E25:
Riker: Can you extrapolate the radiation trail?
Geordi: Yes, a planet in the blahblah system, called Kataan.
Data: yeah we haven't mapped that system yet but somehow we have named the planet

Counter-point: We've named lots of planets we've not actually been on or got a super accurate map of.

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.
No one told me Trip gets space pregnant. Are there any other hijinks in store for the crew of the Enterprise?

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Foreskin Problems posted:

No one told me Trip gets space pregnant. Are there any other hijinks in store for the crew of the Enterprise?

the dog gets hoshi pregnant one episode

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Hector Beerlioz posted:

No that's Power Rangers Turbo

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

McGiggins posted:

Especially in a world of literal matter replicators.

Why dont they just hit space-print and queue up like 50 Defiants?

Or like 300 Galaxy classes?

Or warp missiles! Voyager had a p good episode where they had sentient hyper-nuke warp capable missiles. Like 40 war crimes per missile. Why not build a couple of them, with their own inbuilt phasers to defend themselves, and just infini-print them?

In a world of matter replicators, the evilest, most automation-friendly duder wins.

space opera isn't about realistic portrayals of space travel or space combat

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Also Hoshi has to end up topless during an episode, because that's a requirement for all of the main actresses.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Blistex posted:

Also Hoshi has to end up topless during an episode, because that's a requirement for all of the main actresses.

Archer crotch.

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.

Hector Beerlioz posted:

hell yeah

Blistex posted:

hell yeah :pervert:

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

You must be *this* sexy to get a commission aboard Enterprise.

Remember when Reed and Trip thought they were gonna get some hot Risan trim but they turned out to be Space Nasferatus? :xd:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I remember when Phlox's wife wanted to gently caress Trip, and he was like "Dr Phlox I'm sorry, your wife tried to gently caress me" and Dr Phlox was like "Wow you shoulda hosed her she's really good at it"

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
I remember that a lot.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
enterprise is a lot funnier than you'd imagine it 2 be

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hector Beerlioz posted:

I do not remember that one :stare:.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

simplefish posted:

But also: how do they speak if they can't interact with the air around them? How do they breathe? They can walk through walls but don't fall through the floor even if doing judo? But you can push each other through the walls no problem? Handwavium strikes again!

all worth it just for that shot of dickbag romulan chasing ro around the ship until geordi pops up and knocks the romulan off course and whoopsies! he flies through the ships hull and goes spinning head over heels off into space forever and it doesn't matter if he's out of phase and no one can see him because we can see him

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Gatekeeper posted:

all worth it just for that shot of dickbag romulan chasing ro around the ship until geordi pops up and knocks the romulan off course and whoopsies! he flies through the ships hull and goes spinning head over heels off into space forever and it doesn't matter if he's out of phase and no one can see him because we can see him

He died.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

"...legends don't die. they just lose weight."
- Big Enos, Smokey and the Bandit (1977)

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Hector Beerlioz posted:

enterprise is a lot funnier than you'd imagine it 2 be

I still think that the funniest thing that happened on Enterprise was when they were trying to outrun some ship at warp 4.7 or something, and when they finally get caught and boarded, Archer puts on a gear warp head routine.

"Hey, you were going really fast, could you have made warp 4.8? 4.9? I bet you could have done 5 if you wanted to!"

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Gatekeeper posted:

"...legends don't die. they just lose weight."
- Big Enos, Smokey and the Bandit (1977)

It's cool since the fact he wasn't interacting with other matter means he wasn't transferring heat so he actually died over a period of days floating in an endless void without sound or feeling with the full knowledge that he's going to die slowly.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

What about the episode where Trip gets raped and ends up mpreg and everyone laughs at him for it.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

EvilTaytoMan posted:

What about the episode where Trip gets raped and ends up mpreg and everyone laughs at him for it.

he sticks his fingies in a bowl of jello stones with some lizard babe and they zeus the poo poo out of each other with tiny lightnings and suddenly he's got a wrist-nipple and a people version of a kangaroo joey scootin' around in this weird hoodie pocket that sprouted over his tummy. i'd prob razz the w. bush-sounding s.o.b. too tbh

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Gatekeeper please go edit all the synopses on MA.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

drilldo squirt posted:

It's cool since the fact he wasn't interacting with other matter means he wasn't transferring heat so he actually died over a period of days floating in an endless void without sound or feeling with the full knowledge that he's going to die slowly.

Maybe they went and picked him up? I mean, now that they knew how to detect phased people and de-phase them, they could've followed his trajectory, de-phased him while still in space, then beamed him aboard before he died of normal space reasons. That's totally doable with the Enterprise's crew and ship capabilities combined.

In fact, that's my new head canon. He's back amongst the living after 20+ years dead.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

I remember when Phlox's wife wanted to gently caress Trip, and he was like "Dr Phlox I'm sorry, your wife tried to gently caress me" and Dr Phlox was like "Wow you shoulda hosed her she's really good at it"

Personally I felt as a crew who's job it was to learn about alien cultures it was basically his duty to gently caress Phlox's wife.

Plus every time Phlox talked about his like 5 wives and all their husbands it sounded like they all got on great and had amazing BBQ get aways where they all hosed each others wives. Trip could have got an invite to that too, for science.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Kitchner posted:

Personally I felt as a crew who's job it was to learn about alien cultures it was basically his duty to gently caress Phlox's wife.

Plus every time Phlox talked about his like 5 wives and all their husbands it sounded like they all got on great and had amazing BBQ get aways where they all hosed each others wives. Trip could have got an invite to that too, for science.

That sounds like the kind of poly relationship where everything's fine til you grab the wrong boob or something and then all hell breaks loose

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That sounds like the kind of poly relationship where everything's fine til you grab the wrong boob or something and then all hell breaks loose

I think the point is that it's not the sort of bullshit you see online where it's like a dude saying he's in an open relationship and his girlfriend has like 3 buy friends and he just had her.

The point is you have Phlox who has wife 1, 2, 3, and 4. But wife 1 has husbands A, B, and C. From what he says in the series they basically all get on great, and like he views the husbands of his wives as sort of brother-in-laws. Like their big get togethers sound basically like those giant family reunion BBQs you see in movies.

Maybe the entire pitch was "one of those poly relationships you read about online, but you know, genuine and not just a guy explaining why his girlfriend fucks other guys all the time".

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kitchner posted:

I think the rule for that kind of deep-space explorational mission regarding sex should be something like "we're not saying no, but, if you really gotta bang the alien girl then at least take notes afterwards."

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

These are the voyages of the uss enterprise, its mission? Time to gently caress

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
To boldly come where no one has come before.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Applewhite posted:

To boldly come where no one has come before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClP8n6asn3w

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I think the rule for that kind of deep-space explorational mission regarding sex should be something like "we're not saying no, but, if you really gotta bang the alien girl then at least take notes afterwards."

Unless you're Harry Kim.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

EvilTaytoMan posted:

Unless you're Harry Kim.

Yeah really. Watching TNG and DS9 I realized that pretty much everyone is getting laid all the time. Picard even bones down constantly. Kurzon Dax died of loving. Lwaxana fucks that ferangi in Menage a Troi. Risa's entire gimmick is being FuckPlanet Prime.

Harry getting lectured is like the only instance in the history of Starfleet that anyone was ever punished for having sex.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

VictorianQueerLit posted:

Yeah really. Watching TNG and DS9 I realized that pretty much everyone is getting laid all the time. Picard even bones down constantly. Kurzon Dax died of loving. Lwaxana fucks that ferangi in Menage a Troi. Risa's entire gimmick is being FuckPlanet Prime.

Harry getting lectured is like the only instance in the history of Starfleet that anyone was ever punished for having sex.

I suppose it could be argued that since they're alpha quadrant aliens everyone has a good idea about what sort of stds or whatever you can get from them where as Harry was banging a Delta quadrant alien whose physiology they knew nothing about so they don't know what sorts of stds they carry. But Harry is hardly the first person to bang an alien they just met, I mean Dax was probably banging that boring Brigadoon alien and she probably didn't go to Bashir about it first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

EvilTaytoMan posted:

I suppose it could be argued that since they're alpha quadrant aliens everyone has a good idea about what sort of stds or whatever you can get from them where as Harry was banging a Delta quadrant alien whose physiology they knew nothing about so they don't know what sorts of stds they carry. But Harry is hardly the first person to bang an alien they just met, I mean Dax was probably banging that boring Brigadoon alien and she probably didn't go to Bashir about it first.

The ONLY problem is that he didn't get Mama Janeways permission first.