Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
So is the bugged story mission bug just unfixable bs or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

I'm in what I'm guessing is mid-game and I just picked up my second Assault Mech. It's the (energy weapon) Banshee and it's very underwhelming.

My standard lance is a Highlander with LRMs and a PPC, an 'in your face' brawler which is either a Black Knight or Grasshopper and a couple of AC20 based damage dealers - choose 2 from my 2 Orions & single Cataphract. I have a double PPC setup on the Banshee with a few MLs thrown in, but the heat issues and general 'meh' of the PPCs means I just can't find a suitable role for it. Am I missing something with the Banshee or is it just a bit limited/situational?

biglads fucked around with this message at 11:57 on May 27, 2018

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Worst mech in the game. Its dogshit

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

biglads posted:

I'm in what I'm guessing is mid-game and I just picked up my second Assault Mech. It's the (energy weapon) Banshee and it's very underwhelming.

My standard lance is a Highlander with LRMs and a PPC, an 'in your face' brawler which is either a Black Knight or Grasshopper and a couple of AC20 based damage dealers - choose 2 from my 2 Orions & single Cataphract. I have a double PPC setup on the Banshee with a few MLs thrown in, but the heat issues and general 'meh' of the PPCs means I just can't find a suitable role for it. Am I missing something with the Banshee or is it just a bit limited/situational?
It's only useable as a short range mech without mods, ~8ML and I forget how many support spots. Basically a slower / more durable / worse grasshopper.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

biglads posted:

It's an extremely limited machine. The 3E is nearly unusable, the 3M is a laser boat/punch delivery device(which is also the only way you're getting any real use out of the giant engine that makes it so limited in the first place).

I'd rate the 3M as pretty solid in practical use, though. Medium laser spammers are very efficient damage dealers and it being able to punch harder than an AC20+++ before you factor in support weapons or mods is pretty strong.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 13:36 on May 27, 2018

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
It's really a shame the Banshee -3S isn't in the game. A smaller engine and a mixed ballistic/energy loadout makes the Banshee pretty good.

Only House Steiner could fix the Banshee.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

I think I might just sell the 3E. I have 2 Atlas parts already so I'll hopefully I can grab the last bit of that soon.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
I ended up doing this with energy weapons:

(I also made the Slas 15 damage, the AC/2 30 damage, and edited missiles slightly)

Really the Llaser and PPC need to weigh less to be competitive, but I cannot be bothered editing stock mechs to use up the freed space so I just increased the damage a bit and said smaller lasers gets to be more weight efficient while larger ones get to be more heat efficient so they can offset the stupid weight with less heatsinks.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
One thing I do wish is that they'd simplified the market system. You shouldn't have to spend massive amounts of time hunting out stuff. Find an item you want via some 'market' interface, go there, buy it. Or better yet, buy it and for a fee/surcharge based on your standings with the system it's in and distance it's traveling, have it brought to *you*.

But yeah, the Banshee is poo poo, largely because PPCs are just so damned impractical.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Darkrenown posted:

I ended up doing this with energy weapons:

(I also made the Slas 15 damage, the AC/2 30 damage, and edited missiles slightly)

Really the Llaser and PPC need to weigh less to be competitive, but I cannot be bothered editing stock mechs to use up the freed space so I just increased the damage a bit and said smaller lasers gets to be more weight efficient while larger ones get to be more heat efficient so they can offset the stupid weight with less heatsinks.

That makes PPCs pretty terrifying from a headshot perspective. I like it.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

biglads posted:

The only thing the 3M has going for it over a similar speed heavy is the potential to mount more armor, higher melee damage, and lots of support slots. Don't bother with PPCs. Go with ~6xML, fill up the support slots to taste (i.e. do you want to shut down with flamers, or go for damage with SLs), max out armor (except on the arms), and then fill up the rest with arm mods and heat sinks as prefered (I usually don't run arm mods). Don't bother with JJs. They're too heavy.

Sprint (preferably into cover) to close distance, then get in the enemy's face while your other infighters and FS take advantage of the distraction. Fire everything till you get too hot, then punch. Other mechs can do the job better (GHR), but it can still be made to work until you fill up your mech bays with something better.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Darkrenown posted:

They proportionally increased the heat on PPCs and LLs (and other weapons) relative to where they were in PnP, for some reason. 30 heat on the PPC and 24 heat on the LL would put them where they were in battletech PnP.

I wasn't in on the beta, but were these heat values tried in beta? Were the PPC/LL just too good at these heat levels?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Organ Fiend posted:

The only thing the 3M has going for it over a similar speed heavy is the potential to mount more armor, higher melee damage, and lots of support slots. Don't bother with PPCs. Go with ~6xML, fill up the support slots to taste (i.e. do you want to shut down with flamers, or go for damage with SLs), max out armor (except on the arms), and then fill up the rest with arm mods and heat sinks as prefered (I usually don't run arm mods). Don't bother with JJs. They're too heavy.

Sprint (preferably into cover) to close distance, then get in the enemy's face while your other infighters and FS take advantage of the distraction. Fire everything till you get too hot, then punch. Other mechs can do the job better (GHR), but it can still be made to work until you fill up your mech bays with something better.

MGs are probably an easier ask for the Banshee than small lasers, because it's so tonnage limited that it can't really afford to mount a ton of sinks.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Kanos posted:

The 3E is nearly unusable

Geez, I don't have one of those so I'd only ever looked at the stock equipment, never actually at the chassis in the mech bay. :psyduck: what the gently caress even is that?

I'd almost call that a bug, like they made the chassis to support the cannon example and then never went back to add some alternate hardpoints. The whole chassis is just pointless, it has 3 gun mounts. Three!

Kanos posted:

I'd rate the 3M as pretty solid in practical use, though. Medium laser spammers are very efficient damage dealers and it being able to punch harder than an AC20+++ before you factor in support weapons or mods is pretty strong.

With that mod that makes Juggernaut have brace, it might even be fairly good :sun:

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Klyith posted:

Geez, I don't have one of those so I'd only ever looked at the stock equipment, never actually at the chassis in the mech bay. :psyduck: what the gently caress even is that?

I'd almost call that a bug, like they made the chassis to support the cannon example and then never went back to add some alternate hardpoints. The whole chassis is just pointless, it has 3 gun mounts. Three!

A thing I like about Battletech is that some mech chassis are bad for in-universe reasons! Someone got paid off, the engineering team hosed up, the manufacturer lacked part X so made do with part Y, etc.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Pattonesque posted:

A thing I like about Battletech is that some mech chassis are bad for in-universe reasons! Someone got paid off, the engineering team hosed up, the manufacturer lacked part X so made do with part Y, etc.

Yeah, the Banshee 3E is canonically a boondoggle shitheap that is acknowledged in-universe as being a desperately undergunned pile of trash, but an absolute ton of them got produced on government contract. Because they were known as such crappy mechs, most of them got mothballed or assigned to garrison or back line duty, which meant that tons of them survived the succession war era so now there's a ton of variants trying to make them actually functional machines.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 14:56 on May 27, 2018

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Plus some of the nations just needed some Battlemechs, so they shat out the badly built ones en masse because people would buy that poo poo up. Bad Battlemech is better than no Battlemech.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Kanos posted:

boondoggle shitheap

Nice forums handle

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
A lot of boondoggles are really fun or interesting.

... And then there's the Banshee Aerospace Fighter, a 50 ton fighter with 2 medium lasers (Firepower rivaling the 20 ton Sparrowhawk!) that devotes 25 tons to carrying a huge and completely useless jet engine on top of its typical fusion-powered aerospace fighter engines because the Lyran Commonwealth wanted to see if "adding a normal jet engine" to Aerospace Fighters would make them perform better in an atmosphere.

It did not, and it turns out the 25 ton jet engine (which couldn't match the thrust of the Banshee's normal engines) just made the thing hideously unstable in flight and prone to crashing and killing its pilots in even the slightest breeze.

So they quietly shoveled all of their Banshee fighters into an annoying noble's pet-project scouting unit so he could go save MY HOME PLANET.

Edit: Unironic best boondoggle was the time they tried to turn a Scorpion (a quad, four-legged BattleMech) into a Land-Air 'Mech (it crashed).

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 15:38 on May 27, 2018

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
The APC mission is a bit rough. I had one drop troops off the turn after it showed up at the edge of my vision. Ran through all my mechs, Kamea said 'it's getting close, kill it' and then it just sped into the circle. Mission failed.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Milky Moor posted:

The APC mission is a bit rough. I had one drop troops off the turn after it showed up at the edge of my vision. Ran through all my mechs, Kamea said 'it's getting close, kill it' and then it just sped into the circle. Mission failed.

Yeah they have crazy movement and are pretty tough for vehicles. You can block them from entering the base by standing in the doorways though, they're only wide enough for one unit.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Wafflecopper posted:

Yeah they have crazy movement and are pretty tough for vehicles. You can block them from entering the base by standing in the doorways though, they're only wide enough for one unit.

I had an APC teleport through a blocker, so beware.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Glitch has a cursed Cataphract (well I guess higher LL and PPC damage might be a part of it...) In my first mission today she loses her RT, which took out both my AC20++ there and the LL+ and ML+ in the RA. Next mission we has a regular AC20, but I had a spare LL and ML +, so of course she loses her RA. Third mission she loses her empty LA, which is much better but clearly there's a theme today. In my 4th mission just now she lost her LT, and her CT was reduced to just 13 structure before I managed to break her out of the battle. That last battle also had my LRMboat run out of ammo, so my 2 assaults had to take down 2 Thunderbolts, a Quickdraw, a Black knight, and a Victor :stonk:

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

My pilots love to get injured. The wind kicked up some dust, Dekker's down for the count. Poor Behemoth, thought of ants and got injured.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

And Tyler Too! posted:

My pilots love to get injured. The wind kicked up some dust, Dekker's down for the count. Poor Behemoth, thought of ants and got injured.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > HBS Battletech: Poor Behemoth, thought of ants and got injured.

An excellent summary of the BATTLETECH experience.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

And Tyler Too! posted:

Those circumstances sound exactly like something I read another goon saying about horses recently.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Hexenritter posted:

Those circumstances sound exactly like something I read another goon saying about horses recently.

that's the joke, yes

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Captain Foo posted:

that's the joke, yes

I found it amusing in both instances. Carry on citizen.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
So when do my romance options open up? Glitch is my waifu :3:

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

First campaign: Dekker explodes in Majesty Metals mission.

Second campaign, with mod that lets you skip that mission: Dekker explodes during Argo salvage mission.

Such is life.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Asproigerosis posted:

FMK: Glitch, Behemoth, Dekker

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Asproigerosis posted:

Ronin is mine, her Highlander is bae.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

LostCosmonaut posted:

First campaign: Dekker explodes in Majesty Metals mission.

Second campaign, with mod that lets you skip that mission: Dekker explodes during Argo salvage mission.

Such is life.

It's a shame he won't live! But then again who does?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

It's a shame he won't live! But then again who does?

It's Dekker, not Deckard.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

It's Dekker, not Deckard.

Since that line was about Rachael and not Deckard, it works either way just as well!

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

BitBasher posted:

Since that line was about Rachael and not Deckard, it works either way just as well!

Yeah I know, was just trying to work the topic into the reference.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Pattonesque posted:

PoptartsNinja posted:

A lot of boondoggles are really fun or interesting.
<the battletech F-35>

It's fun fluff to bulk out the pages of your 1980s game supplement, but seriously, would you enjoy playing a TT game where you were forced to use the crap mechs?

OTOH it is kinda crap for a video game which (at least in theory) is about managing limited resources. The -3E is actively spiteful to the player if you get it while still running missions to "tech up". Congrats, you got the booby prize. Sell it off and use the cash to take more salvage on your next mission I guess!

But if you want to talk about fluff, look at the 3E and its 3 weapon hardpoints. Hardpoints make no sense in universe: just look at the list of hunchback variants and tell me you can't swap weapons around with a fair degree of flexibility in the canon. It was added to video games to enforce some diversity and more interesting choices to mech loadouts, so you don't get stuck with the bad game design legacy of 100% custom mechs (m'laser *tips robo-fedora*). But if it's an arbitrary balance system, it should have some actual balance to it.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Klyith posted:

It's fun fluff to bulk out the pages of your 1980s game supplement, but seriously, would you enjoy playing a TT game where you were forced to use the crap mechs?

OTOH it is kinda crap for a video game which (at least in theory) is about managing limited resources. The -3E is actively spiteful to the player if you get it while still running missions to "tech up". Congrats, you got the booby prize. Sell it off and use the cash to take more salvage on your next mission I guess!

But if you want to talk about fluff, look at the 3E and its 3 weapon hardpoints. Hardpoints make no sense in universe: just look at the list of hunchback variants and tell me you can't swap weapons around with a fair degree of flexibility in the canon. It was added to video games to enforce some diversity and more interesting choices to mech loadouts, so you don't get stuck with the bad game design legacy of 100% custom mechs (m'laser *tips robo-fedora*). But if it's an arbitrary balance system, it should have some actual balance to it.

The only time I've enjoyed using canonically common but bad mechs on the tabletop was an extremely drunk megamek session with Fraction Jackson years ago

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Klyith posted:

There's a mod that removes hardpoints, fwiw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Klyith posted:

It's fun fluff to bulk out the pages of your 1980s game supplement, but seriously, would you enjoy playing a TT game where you were forced to use the crap mechs? tual balance to it.

TBH I think it's a lot of fun in most games to try and make several gigantic piles of trash into a mediocre whole and flail to victory. :v: