Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

That's a pretty sweet looking Grasshopper, tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

No big gun in the center torso hurts, though.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

True, but the extra range of the PPCs means that the Grasshopper can double as an rear end in a top hat Sniper unit to keeps his distance while jumping around, while still being effective in its traditional role as a Light and Medium 'Mech Hunter.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Lots of minimum range though. Dudes getting all up in your face could be annoying.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

goatface posted:

Lots of minimum range though. Dudes getting all up in your face could be annoying.

Battle Fists. Just punch right through the back of his head.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
The Advanced Targeting Computer was worth making concessions for. There are better light 'Mech hunters, but the Grasshopper out-armors a lot of other heavy 'mechs.

I do admit I keep getting unhappy with it and redesigning it. I'm probably going to give it at least one variant and then horrify everyone by filling it with machine guns.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 17:22 on May 26, 2018

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

PoptartsNinja posted:

I do admit I keep getting unhappy with it and redesigning it. I'm probably going to give it at least one variant and then horrify everyone by filling it with machine guns.

Ah yes the GHR-HBS.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

goatface posted:

With 4 Jets though, you can always make enough range when needed.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Grasshopper punches for 14 damage now with a -1 ToHit thanks to BattleFists.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Advanced Targeting Computer was worth making concessions for. There are better light 'Mech hunters, but the Grasshopper out-armors a lot of other heavy 'mechs.

This is why I really like the 5N model of Grasshopper in the base game. It is one of the zombiest 'Mechs out there, with nearly maximum armor and no ammo-fed weapons, plus enough heatsinks to pretty consistently pump out damage while jumping. I also like the basic 5H, save for the single LRM5 because I don't consider the risk of ammo explosion worth such a dinky long range weapon.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

I like these better.

Edit: And someone requested the Clint.

External Magazine Autocannons aren't common, but getting CASE II for free is handy on something as fragile as the Clint. It does mean they have to expend a turn to swap their ammo type though. The Clint's the lightest accessible AC/10 on a fast chassis but the Urbanmech R-600 out-armors it.

They're both cheap as hell but the Clint costs twice as many C-Bills as an Urbie.

Edit: And one nobody asked for, just to show off the Command Console form:

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 02:45 on May 27, 2018

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Yeah, that Grasshopper -L is where it's at.

Farseli
Sep 28, 2009

This is what I live for. This is the purpose of living, for those who have no life.
I don't think I knew about external magazines. I want to see a 'Mech swap magazines now.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

MG hopper bringing the proper hopper Machine Gun Punching.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Farseli posted:

I don't think I knew about external magazines. I want to see a 'Mech swap magazines now.

They don't exist in canon.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Its the Piranha's big brother! :3:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

With two more support hardpoints than the HBS punchopper!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Just a reminder: if you haven't submitted orders please get them in, you still have time.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

PoptartsNinja posted:

Just a reminder: if you haven't submitted orders please get them in, you still have time.

Hope everyone got orders in! Mine were pretty easy: Order for this turn: Jump 3 to 0811 and leg attack the mech in 0811

Contingency orders: if for some reason I cannot do that, instead jump 2 to 1313 and leg attack the mech in 1313

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
A player has had something come up unexpectedly (it's a holiday weekend, it's not too shocking), and asked for an extension.

I'll find some way to entertain you in the interim. Maybe I'll stream some BattleTech, or maybe I'll start in on Hearts of Chaos the second (and weakest) of the Camachos Caballeros novels. Or maybe someone will twist my arm and I'll reveal some timeskip plans. I just got home from work and need to get settled, so we'll see.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
So I’ve been trying to keep track of your post timeskip plans, but why aren’t there more urbies?

Follow up question, put in more urbies.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

farraday posted:

So I’ve been trying to keep track of your post timeskip plans, but why aren’t there more urbies?

Follow up question, put in more urbies.

There's really only about two things I can do with an Urbanmech. The first is what it already is:

The cheapest NewTech 'Mech

And the second is a riot control variant.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Is there any kind of aerospace presence in the NewTech future? That's my jam.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Aerospace fighters are unchanged. I don't have the tools to do anything with them and their rules are fine.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions
Seeing the Thorn on that list got me thinking. It's one of those mechs that you forget exists from time to time. The canon variants seem designed to be completely forgettable. Even stuff like the Urbie, while redefining mediocrity, can at least have meme potential.

I wonder what people think the most completely forgettable and boring chassis is?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
We wouldn't think of it because it's that forgettable.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
It's the Whitworth.

Which is 2/3rds of a Catapult.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's the Whitworth.

It has the cool SRM variants, though. It's not good, but at least those variants are interesting. We need something completely devoid of interesting-ness. The Merlin, maybe. I'd say the Sentinel is a contender too, but it also gets a couple cool variants and it's also so goofy looking it's hard to forget.

edit: two more contenders.

1. Garm. Slow for a post-Succession Wars light, but not so slow as to be remarkable for it. Completely ammo-dependent. Looks kind of derpy, but not derpy enough to be memorable for it. Is kind of a combo of a Valkyrie and a Panther while possessing the utility of neither.

2. Lineholder. I don't know if this one is even forgettable enough because I remember the stupid RAC/2 variant for having basically no ammo. But this might be one of the most generic mechs in existence otherwise. The name doesn't help; it's as generic as the chassis is. Even the Watchman and Sentry are at least semi-interesting despite being deliberately generic. The Lineholder doesn't even really have that.

Fraction Jackson fucked around with this message at 23:23 on May 27, 2018

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
The real answer to this question is the Watchman, but that's a cop-out since the Watchman was designed to be a slow, cheap line trooper and it does that very well.

BattleTech was always pretty good about lending weird 'Mechs new life with new variants, so if you're looking for truly forgettable designs we have to look at ones that didn't get many variants. That could mean the design was perfect, but it probably means even the line developers forgot the 'Mech existed. I'm trying not to include any outright extinct designs.

None

3050s
Battle Hawk (1 variant)
Watchman (1 variant (technically 3 if you count the Sentry))
Sentry (1 variant (technically 3 if you count the Watchman))
Hercules (1 variant)
Falconer (1 variant) (disqualified because it's funny-looking)

3060s
Kabuto (1 variant)
Chimera (1 variant)
Cobra (1 variant) (is good and got more interesting with the barrel fist quirk)
Tai Sho (1 variant)

Later Designs
Aren't really being considered, anything built in the 3070s still has time.

Clan
Mandrill (0 variants)
Great Wyrm (1 variant)
Wakazashi (0 variants)

The Watchman, Sentry, (and later the Cuirass) all use the same frame with different engine sizes, so I don't really count them. The Falconer and Cobra we can disqualify because the Falconer's visually amusing and the Cobra's pretty good.

I only remember the Hercules because a typo on its old Mechwarrior TCG card called it the Hercules 9000

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's the Whitworth.

Nah, it's the Vulcan. It's just a lovely Firestarter that wastes a ton of weight on an AC/2. Not particularly fast, not good at fighting at any range, not particularly durable, mostly just embarassing.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 23:50 on May 27, 2018

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Defiance Industries posted:

Nah, it's the Vulcan. It's just a lovely Firestarter that wastes a ton of weight on an AC/2. Not particularly fast, not good at fighting at any range, not particularly durable, mostly just embarassing.

There's the LPL Vulcan, though, which makes it tolerable. Anything that jumps 6 and has an LPL, even an IS one, has some use in a flanking role.

PoptartsNinja posted:

BattleTech was always pretty good about lending weird 'Mechs new life with new variants, so if you're looking for truly forgettable designs we have to look at ones that didn't get many variants. That could mean the design was perfect, but it probably means even the line developers forgot the 'Mech existed. I'm trying not to include any outright extinct designs.

I like this metric. I'd add that the design should be bad, but not so bad as to be noteworthy for how bad it is. From that list, the Battle Hawk, Falconer, Hercules, Cobra, Chimera (primarily the 2K variant, though) Wakazashi and Tai-Sho are all usable. Of that list I'd say also that the Battle Hawk, Falconer, Hercules, Cobra and Tai-Sho are ones where the existing variants are tied to their specific design role and are good enough to where they don't need more upgrades. I mean, what else can you really do with a Falconer that wouldn't make it not a Falconer?

The Watchman-4DM is also good, so even if it sharing chassis with the Sentry and Cuirass wasn't a consideration I think it still avoids the title.

So that leaves the Kabuto, Mandrill and Great Wyrm. The Mandrill is at least theoretically useful for three seconds before you die, and it also looks extremely stupid. The Great Wyrm is notable for at least having a hilarious weapons array that is memorable on its own. So that seems to indicate the Kabuto is the "winner". Maybe?

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

I tell you what, I wouldn't mind seeing a Charger fitted with Hardened Armor, a Super-Charger, and MASC. Have it really live up to the charger name, by making it a monster of a tackle bot. :v:

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 02:16 on May 28, 2018

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Back Hack posted:

I tell you what, I wouldn't mind seeing a Charger fitted with Hardened Armor, a Super-Charger, and MASC. Have it really to the charger name, by making it the monster a tackle bot. :v:

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Back Hack posted:

I tell you what, I wouldn't mind seeing a Charger fitted with Hardened Armor, a Super-Charger, and MASC. Have it really to the charger name, by making it the monster a tackle bot. :v:

If you want it to really live up to the Charger name, it would have to consistently choke and fall over 10 meters before it reached the endzone target mech.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
The Hercules is one of the FWL's premier heavy cavalry units and it has a non-unique variant (and another unique variant).

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Preechr posted:

If you want it to really live up to the Charger name, it would have to consistently choke and fall over 10 meters before it reached the endzone target mech.
:golfclap:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Strobe posted:

The Hercules is one of the FWL's premier heavy cavalry units and it has a non-unique variant (and another unique variant).

this explains why the line devs forgot about it

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Xarbala posted:

:negative:

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Xarbala posted:

:drat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I was told there weren't enough Urbanmechs. This injustice has been rectified.

• Locked thread