Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Columbia is having an election today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I guess the only choice is to kill poor people then.

sounds like you should vote for maduro

The New York Times posted:

In the Ministry of Health’s 2015 annual report, the mortality rate for children under 4 weeks old had increased a hundredfold, from 0.02 percent in 2012 to just over 2 percent. Maternal mortality had increased nearly fivefold in the same period.

For almost two years, the government did not publish a single epidemiological bulletin tracking statistics like infant mortality. Then in April of this year, a link suddenly appeared on the Health Ministry’s official website, leading to the unpublished bulletins. They showed that 11,446 children under the age of 1 had died in 2016 — a 30 percent increase in one year — as the economic crisis accelerated.

The new findings made national and international headlines before the government declared that the website had been hacked, and the reports were swiftly removed. The health minister was fired and the military was put in charge of monitoring the bulletins. No reports have been released since.

Doctors are censored in hospitals, too, often warned not to include malnutrition in children’s medical records.

“In some public hospitals, the clinical diagnosis of malnutrition has been prohibited,” Dr. Huníades Urbina said.

But doctors interviewed by The Times at nine of the 21 public hospitals said that they had kept at least some count. They encountered nearly 2,800 cases of child malnutrition in the last year alone, with starving children regularly brought to emergency rooms. Nearly 400 of the children died, the doctors said.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

that's clearly cia propaganda planted in a newspaper and not evidence that maduro is bad

i'm not saying that the opposition is good, but that's not a way to argue for the current venezuelan government

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Americans shouldn't be trying to lecture third world countries about child malnutrition.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

get that OUT of my face posted:

that's clearly cia propaganda planted in a newspaper and not evidence that maduro is bad

i'm not saying that the opposition is good, but that's not a way to argue for the current venezuelan government

messed up that the venezuelan government's website is posting cia propaganda

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

it was the Pope's fault

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Americans shouldn't be trying to lecture third world countries about child malnutrition.
people defending maduro have no legs to stand on other than "no u"

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I imagine despite all its other flaws child marriage is illegal in Venezuela

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Jose posted:

I imagine despite all its other flaws child marriage is illegal in Venezuela

Child marriage is still pretty bad in Latin America. Venezuela is in strange company too, because they're one of the only countries not to report child marriage stats to UNICEF alongside: Chile and Argentina.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Child marriage is still pretty bad in Latin America. Venezuela is in strange company too, because they're one of the only countries not to report child marriage stats to UNICEF alongside: Chile and Argentina.

iirc that has to do with some native traditions, but in the sense of using that as an excuse to not account for that

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

There's gonna be a oil worker strike after the trucker strike lol

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Plutonis posted:

lol this owns

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Plutonis posted:

Lawman 0 posted:

lol this owns

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Plutonis posted:

maybe brazil will be all right after all

Metal Cat
Dec 25, 2017
How many of you guys are still able to head to work? I'm stuck with telecommuting, they've told everyone to stay at home given that Corpus Christi would've ended the week faster anyway.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Metal Cat posted:

How many of you guys are still able to head to work? I'm stuck with telecommuting, they've told everyone to stay at home given that Corpus Christi would've ended the week faster anyway.

get it on with the spirit of the times and say you can't do jack poo poo for work

also, in a complete lolcaust, Petrobras lost R$ 126 billion (aprox. 34 billion in USD) since the beginning of the strike

it would have been way better to just keep state controlled pricing lmao

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I guess the only choice is to kill poor people then.

I genuinely have no idea what you're arguing here.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/adowniebrazil/status/1001815860548337664?s=21

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

does this say 87% of brazilians support military intervention? i assume that from google searching the two big words in the headline

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib
They support the strike but don't want to pay for the measures that are demanded.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

get that OUT of my face posted:

does this say 87% of brazilians support military intervention? i assume that from google searching the two big words in the headline

87% of brazilians support the strike, but they don't want to pay for what the strikers are demanding

literally "87% support the strike, but they refuse to pay the bill"

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Badger of Basra posted:

87% of brazilians support the strike, but they don't want to pay for what the strikers are demanding

literally "87% support the strike, but they refuse to pay the bill"
ah i see. i know the tweet says something like "nothing explains brazil better than this headline" or thereabouts because of romance language similarities

i can't wait to see how this gets hosed up somehow

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

entirely wrong thread but we dont have a spain or general euro thread so: rest in piss rajoy

https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1002484671463284736

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

entirely wrong thread but we dont have a spain or general euro thread so: rest in piss rajoy

https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1002484671463284736

is this imperialism in our south american thread, gringo

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Investors are running away from Mexican stocks as leftist pulls ahead in the polls

quote:

The chances of a landslide victory for Mexico's far-left presidential candidate, Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador, are growing and that is scaring investors.

in the american gringo's mind dem soc are far-left.

Darkman Fanpage has issued a correction as of 04:54 on Jun 2, 2018

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lol

"If he wins by a landslide, it is a given that his party, Morena, will get significant participation in congress. It's not clear that they will get the 51 percent majority, but it's certainly possible," he says.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

even then, he's been moderating his tone a little bit as of late. obrador is going to be a disappointment, mark my words

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

petro is... probably going to lose

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
whos that

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
vote for petro

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

tekz posted:

whos that

leftist candidate in the colombian election. duque is a pretty far right wing uribista who is opposed to the FARC peace treaty

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

leftist candidate in the colombian election. duque is a pretty far right wing uribista who is opposed to the FARC peace treaty

Resuming a long and bloody war to own the libs.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

duque won :(

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

RIP FARC peace deal

Maybe win this time, ok?

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
world is a gently caress

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
https://twitter.com/AP/status/1014378637561393154?s=19

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

He should do it and destroy any remaining credibility the Great Satan has on the region

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
:lol: Brazil's totally gonna get dragged into this.

Maybe Argentina, too. Colombia most definitely.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

RIP FARC peace deal

Maybe win this time, ok?

I'm sure they surrendered only because they became bored of their continued success.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

dead comedy forums posted:

is this imperialism in our south american thread, gringo

rude

• Locked thread