Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

TheCoach posted:

DOS versions exist for both Jungle and Desert strikes and while the music is not as good the graphics are significantly better
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUEBVsZ4lzg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0e38LFVBoE

Shame they are not on GOG tho.

I loved these games almost as much as events that lead to this being this being made.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/285wyv/goon_strike_a_moving_picture_story/

Chiwie fucked around with this message at 01:20 on May 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

G0RF posted:

I don’t get why he’s rocking this particular pose. His tenure as Community Manager was not noteworthy for its facilitation of a two way dialogue with others, as his old quotes show.

A better pose might be “I did it my way. Deal with it.”

do you think that CIG employees are aware of the dissonance between whatever public position they verbally take and what the organisation's actual behaviour is? the whole Star Citizen debacle has made me wonder how self-aware a lot of people are

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

Nebiros posted:

I knew I was forgetting one. Makes me wish Brigador had proper helicopters now though. Also go play Brigador you goons, become one with your inner war criminal.

Closest I want to get to that, is taking over rival empires in Civ VI, and burning down every city they have, after nuking them into defenselessness.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Nebiros posted:

I knew I was forgetting one. Makes me wish Brigador had proper helicopters now though. Also go play Brigador you goons, become one with your inner war criminal.

Brigador is cool and good.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Beet Wagon posted:

https://i.gyazo.com/6c69926b1dcd70a9827683379f2f8c38.mp4

reddit has this tagged as "gameplay" which is the funniest thing to me right now

At first I was thinking to say Chris got lost in the details of level design, but it's not even that. If you were working on level design for 3+ years I'd expect a drat fine Counter-Strike map or a well thought out layout like Overwatch. This is just a bunch of hallways with a theater at the end. There's more level design in babbys first rougelike than what this video has on display.

Chris has wasted everyone's time and money by having staff hand placing micro details for years on end. Wasted potential.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

alf_pogs posted:

do you think that CIG employees are aware of the dissonance between whatever public position they verbally take and what the organisation's actual behaviour is? the whole Star Citizen debacle has made me wonder how self-aware a lot of people are

:iiam:

On Twitter and Twitch, the world gets Emo Lando most of the time. In community management, they got something far different. Lando is, I guess, highly flexible as circumstances dictate...

On an unrelated note...

Is this for real? Did I miss the promotion for this or is the turbofracking getting yet another boost?

EDIT: I’m thinking this may be some lovely fakery...though not because CIG deserves the benefit of the doubt...

G0RF fucked around with this message at 05:38 on May 28, 2018

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

PederP posted:

Why are these people playing multi-player games where space guns are everywhere?

Star Citizer: Any way that is just my two sense

Twyst posted:

Star Citizer: it is a doggy dog would out there
Store Citizen: I am going to play doubles advocate and suggest that mangling that much English could be taking the piss.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

G0RF posted:

:iiam:

On Twitter and Twitch, the world gets Emo Lando most of the time. In community management, they got something far different. Lando is, I guess, highly flexible as circumstances dictate...

On an unrelated note...

Is this for real? Did I miss the promotion for this or is the turbofracking getting yet another boost?

Ha ha ha. Who called giant mech suits for sale eventually. Because here it is.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice
Been saying that for years, ever since they were talking about giant combat suits for fps combat.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Sure would suck to be in a mech suit when the other guy is inside a noclipping spaceship with six guns and a turret

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Spatial posted:

Sure would suck to be in a mech suit when the other guy is inside a noclipping spaceship with six guns and a turret

eventually if you pay enough, you just get god mode activated

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Drunk Theory posted:

Ha ha ha. Who called giant mech suits for sale eventually. Because here it is.

The thing that surprises me is how quickly it’s being sold on the heels of their other stuff. And just looks so desperate...

I wonder if they’ll have to do special mocap for movement to meet Chris’s exacting standards?

“Get me Cameron on the phone — I want his Ripley rig from Aliens.”

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

G0RF posted:

The thing that surprises me is how quickly it’s being sold on the heels of their other stuff. And just looks so desperate...

I wonder if they’ll have to do special mocap for movement to meet Chris’s exacting standards?

“Get me Cameron on the phone — I want his Ripley rig from Aliens.”

I need a massive blundering beast to mocap this new mech

But sir Ben was shipped to a remote location , remember?

Inkel
Feb 19, 2004

College Slice
so when does CIG buy one of those Boston Dynamic robots because Chris needs it to properly mo-cap how a mech would walk?

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
This isn't desperate, no sir

Edit: I can't wait for the new and upgraded Hercules that can cart your battlemech around

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

G0RF posted:

As a dilettante the only Lando I've ever really encountered is Emo Lando with the occasional glimpse of Hapless Huckster Lando (as with the infamous 3.0 livestream). What else has he been?

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
Star Citizen is like Forgotten Realms when it comes to sales

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Sunswipe posted:

Never played Soviet, but Nuclear was pretty good. There was also LAPD Future Cop that was originally going to be Future Strike.

LAPD: Future Cop's multiplayer mode was a last minute addition called Precinct Assault. It is a one on one battle with each player have a mech(there is single player version with with an AI enemy gunship instead of a mech) and a base. The goal is to destroy the other player's base. You do that by sending AI units down lanes which are protected by towers and once they reach the core of the enemy base it is destroyed. Which if it sounds like a MOBA/DOTA-clone it is because it is the grandfather of the entire genre. A modder who played LAPD: Future Cop created a map Aeon of Strife that recreated Precinct Assault in StarCraft. DOTA was a recreation of Aeon of Strife in WarCraft 3 and the rest is history.

And that's how big new innovated games are made. Someone does something interesting which leads to someone else doing something interesting which leads to a billion dollar game series. What you don't do is give untold millions to some game developer from the 90's who promises the moon and expect anything to come from it.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Tortolia posted:

This isn't desperate, no sir

Edit: I can't wait for the new and upgraded Hercules that can cart your battlemech around

The fact that CIG has once again proven their legendary ad hoc-iness by shifting attentions + asset development / sales towards Star Citizen: Ground Warfare! is just so lame. They are overextended as it is and deficient in nearly every basic space sim mechanic they pitched at kickoff.

The FPS AI preview in ATV looks dismal. 6 years and this is what it looks like. I guess they’re counting on players to keep each other occupied for a long, long time.

How are you going to rush out Squadron with crap FPS AI, Chris? Your said your game would be a lot better than this. How that’s going to work if your enemy combatants can’t even move when shot? Or hear and react when you shoot their friends? You’ve had six years, man. Jeez.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

G0RF posted:

I don’t get why he’s rocking this particular pose. His tenure as Community Manager was not noteworthy for its facilitation of a two way dialogue with others, as his old quotes show.

A better pose might be “I did it my way. Deal with it.”

He should learn from the superior community manager BFL-Josh (of ButterFly labs buttcoin fame) and do the whole "I did it my way, cocksucker"

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

I've always considered mech suits part of the 'i'll believe it when I see it' category, because it seemed like unnecessary bloat that Chris said yes to five years ago. It's not shocking anymore that they follow through on dumb poo poo like this after the tank. The game is already unbalanceable with Arma/tactical FPS, permadeath, ship to ground combat, vehicle and tank combat. Why not throw in mech suits. At this point, I wouldn't even react to a submarine unveil at Citizen Con.

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

I am a marketing god, shave that shit

trucutru posted:

Was the food actually good? In that case you may have visited Mexico by accident.

Pretty sure it wasn't Mexico as some of the beer was good. I did drink a lot of pacifico though so maybe it was...

I'm confused

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

When are we getting 10 for the CheetahMan?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Mr.Tophat posted:

Star Citizen is like Forgotten Realms when it comes to sales
Wizards just leaving crap around that makes no sense and you'll never use because wizards?

Or... Just crap?

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

doingitwrong posted:

As a dilettante the only Lando I've ever really encountered is Emo Lando with the occasional glimpse of Hapless Huckster Lando (as with the infamous 3.0 livestream). What else has he been?

Well, Jerko Lando was a staple during the Community Management years...

Then there was Glibbo Lando kept things whacky and fun the day after the Sandi Monica bloodbath, while Thomas was pissed and Ben was still in a state of shock and grief...

I guess this was Huckster Lando in a way, only instead of schlepping ships, he was schlepping fictions of a happy-go-lucky day — 24 hours after two people got fired (allegedly in a screaming torrent of obscenities), one employee quit on the spot out of disgust, and yet another put in her two weeks notice as she bolted to Sony.

There have been other Landos, too. It makes the social media posturing seem pretty bogus but whatever. He’s highly adaptable I guess.

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

I am a marketing god, shave that shit
I remember Opiate Lando, that was fun

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Ghostlight posted:

Store Citizen: I am going to play doubles advocate and suggest that mangling that much English could be taking the piss.

Bear with me please, I hole-hardedly agree but allow me to play doubles advocate here for a moment. For all intensive purposes I think you are wrong. In an age where false morals are a diamond dozen, true virtues are a blessing in the skies. We often put our false morality on a petal stool like a bunch of pre-Madonnas, but you all seem to be taking something very valuable for granite. So I ask of you to mustard up all the strength you can because it is a doggy dog world out there. Although there is some merit to what you are saying it seems like you have a huge ship on your shoulder. In your argument you seem to throw everything in but the kids Nsync, and even though you are having a feel day with this I am here to bring you back into reality. I have a sick sense when it comes to these types of things. It is almost spooky, because I cannot turn a blonde eye to these glaring flaws in your rhetoric. I have zero taller ants when it comes to people spouting out hate in the name of moral righteousness. You just need to remember what comes around is all around, and when supply and command fails you will be the first to go. Make my words, when you get down to brass stacks it doesn't take rocket appliances to get two birds stoned at once. It's clear who makes the pants in this relationship, and sometimes you just have to swallow your prize and accept the facts. You might have to come to this conclusion through denial and error but I swear on my mother's mating name that when you put the petal to the medal you will pass with flying carpets like it’s a peace of cake.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer
I'd rather join Charmander's club.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Trust this poster, he knows what he's doing.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Not quite sure why they are @ing him considering he literally never uses twitter, despite the obvious marketing potential of doing so. But I guess Sandi, the best marketer in the world ever, knew that already.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Not quite sure why they are @ing him considering he literally never uses twitter, despite the obvious marketing potential of doing so. But I guess Sandi, the best marketer in the world ever, knew that already.

He's too busy putting his magic fingers at work coding argon coefficients, duh.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Jobbo_Fett posted:

just looked at his twitter from before SC was a thing, and it's like my grandfather just decided to start posting random crap he finds fascinating about 'technology' and the future, like WOW my phone can do things... WOW the future is now

This man somehow got 200 million from idiots

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Raskolnikov posted:

When are we getting 10 for the CheetahMan?

Did someone say... Cheetamen?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbC5dBqTI-k

Just compare that to Star Citizen's soundtrack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1r6G3ORUo1U

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

AlternateAccount posted:

I have several friends who are big time SC believers, and it’s clear that when this tanks, they will just say it was because it was too beautiful to live, too ambitious for small mortal minds. It’s sickening. They really think Roberts is revolutionizing game development. I mean he is, but not in a positive way.

Maybe you should look into ways to exploit that behaviour.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

TheCoach posted:

DOS versions exist for both Jungle and Desert strikes and while the music is not as good the graphics are significantly better
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUEBVsZ4lzg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0e38LFVBoE

Shame they are not on GOG tho.

Holy poo poo the nostalgia I had with these games as a kid on my SEGA Megadrive 2.

There was a Nuclear Strike as well.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

trucutru posted:

Did someone say... Cheetamen?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbC5dBqTI-k

Just compare that to Star Citizen's soundtrack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1r6G3ORUo1U

I was fully expecting the interview with the squeaky fursuiter to be the first link.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

AlternateAccount posted:

I have several friends who are big time SC believers, and it’s clear that when this tanks, they will just say it was because it was too beautiful to live, too ambitious for small mortal minds. It’s sickening. They really think Roberts is revolutionizing game development. I mean he is, but not in a positive way.
Of course they will say this, it is a common psychological behavior to deal with situations you wish were different because reality does not match your SC dream.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

Beet Wagon posted:

https://i.gyazo.com/6c69926b1dcd70a9827683379f2f8c38.mp4

reddit has this tagged as "gameplay" which is the funniest thing to me right now

lol a Space maze game? Unreal presented that with actual gameplay and immersion in 1998 with its Singleplayer part and it needed slightly less production costs than 180 Million lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Since you necroed it, it was weird that when that was posted everyone dunked on it for being a corridor simulator, but nobody dunked on the "gameplay" video having the 'player' clip straight-up clip through a door and a wall before an engine debug mouse cursor appears.