Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Oracle posted:

Hey Krankenstyle can you read the last line on this record? Its Swedish but six of one half-dozen of another, wanna see if its a kid of the above two.
https://imgur.com/a/tbDdNpR

quote:

[hans] uä(kta) d(otter) Hulda Axelina
[bjes.] d. 82½ (1a [rt?])

"[His] illegitimate daughter Hulda Axelina"

It might say "dess" = "their" illeg. daughter. Should be possible to find her birth record though with the data on there.

I think the last bit could be that her first communion might be planned for February 1, 1882? 1a is short for första = first and "bjes" (or "bjer") might be short for börjas/börjar = will begin/begins.

Also Anders' byname is "Ven" = friend :3:

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Apr 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Krankenstyle posted:

"[His] illegitimate daughter Hulda Axelina"

It might say "dess" = "their" illeg. daughter. Should be possible to find her birth record though with the data on there.

I think the last bit could be that her first communion might be planned for February 1, 1882? 1a is short for första = first and "bjes" (or "bjer") might be short for börjas/börjar = will begin/begins.

Also Anders' byname is "Ven" = friend :3:

yeah his dad might've been real friendly with my 2nd great grandma if you know what I mean.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

:sweatdrop:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Found another Swedish cavalrist. He seems to have disappeared in the early 1700s, so I'm guessing he died or was captured in Russia 1709. His widow seems to remarry in 1713. I'm trying to look through the extant records of prisoners but boy are they are mess.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone else used Fold3? I used it years ago before Ancestry took over and found some interesting stuff. I recently tried it again and not only can I not find anything new on previously unresearched ancestors, but the stuff I found before is gone too.

Like I have maybe a dozen relatives who fought in the Civil War. Previously I found stuff as detailed as reimbursement requests for 'business' expenses like horses. Now it doesn't even list that ancestor as having served. Seems to have taken a pretty steep dive quality-wise. Fortunately it only costs like $8, so it was a cheap lesson. :shrug:

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Fold3 has never really helped me out much, they tier lock a lot of stuff and you can access it for free at many public libraries in the US.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
Hey, Oracle, is there a reason someone wouldn't show up in the US social security death index if they were born after 1935 and died between 1998 and 2006? I am increasingly wondering if my great-uncle didn't in fact commit suicide, but this is a story to cover up him being in prison (again--he had a lengthy record going back to the 50s for mostly petty crime).

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Brennanite posted:

Hey, Oracle, is there a reason someone wouldn't show up in the US social security death index if they were born after 1935 and died between 1998 and 2006? I am increasingly wondering if my great-uncle didn't in fact commit suicide, but this is a story to cover up him being in prison (again--he had a lengthy record going back to the 50s for mostly petty crime).

Yeah a few reasons. The SSDI isn't an exhaustive database of everyone who's ever had a SSN and died; the death has to have been reported to the SSA by someone either to stop benefits being paid to them or someone requesting survivor's benefits. If he wasn't getting any benefits or didn't have anyone claiming benefits from him he might not show up. You should also check alternate spellings, transpose the month/day of his supposed death, transpose the last two years of the death etc to make sure it wasn't entered in wrong (I've seen cases of creative spelling). If he went by aliases and his death was reported under the alias he might not be in there as they couldn't find an entry under that name etc. Lots of states have started putting up arrest records online so you could check with the state of his last known residence and see if they have such a thing and if he's in it. Otherwise you might have to do some footwork. You could also check findagrave.com and see if he's buried anywhere, though if he died a pauper and was put in a pauper's grave he might not be.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
In which my grandfather talks poo poo about England and asks for snacks:

quote:

England
4 June 44
Sweethearts:
I’ve received your letter telling me that you’ve moved into your new quarters. I’d like to see you punishing June by sitting on the floor with her. I’d like to see you, period!
I’m glad you have moved away from your folks period. That saying about no house being big enough for two families is old but true. It just won’t work for very long. I’m glad you’re near them tho-I feel better about you and Junie when you are near your folks.
I have recently received letters from Myrtus, Abbie, Willis and Merle. Haven’t answered any of them yet. You know I thought I would have more time last week to write but we had 2 nite problems and I caught Bn. O.D. one nite. Yesterday morning I left camp to come to a two week school. I can’t tell you what I’m studying but the course is hard physically and our day is from 5 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Your mail won’t be forwarded so I won’t hear from you for two weeks. I hate that but if it were forwarded some of it would go all over England and catch me in about 6 months.
I’ve told you that everyone rides bikes over here. I keep seeing new sights in the way of carrying children. The latest is a tandem bike with a side-car for the baby.
I’m sorry for some of these kids of here. You never saw so many dirty urchins as the coal mining sections of this country show. More dirty grown-ups too. These dirty-faced kids surround us everywhere chanting, “Any gum, chum?” A few vary the routine with, “Any candy, Andy?” or “Any Spam, Sam?” I’m glad we were fortunate enough to be born in the United States. This country is about 30 years behind us in most things. Their plumbing (and many other pieces of machinery) are monstrosities of intricate and unworkable machinery. Some of their equipment is very good though. Their new homes are beautiful and the few that I’ve been inside were furnished very tastefully. I wish we had one half as nice, but we don’t need it to be happy. Just to be together is all that’s necessary.
When I get home, I hope I can shed all traces of army life in a couple of weeks. This living in a world of men, is changing me and I don’t like it. I’m beginning to think like an officer instead of a civilian soldier. I need your company to keep me reminded that this will pass and we can live a normal life without whistles, bugles, or courts-martial. As long as I could see you often, my real self was scarcely affected by army life. Now, in spite of myself, I’m getting G.I. Hope you will have patience with me when I get home till I get over it and help me keep from speaking to Junie like she was a soldier. I need you both near me so I can remain what I want to be- a good husband and father.
I hate being separated from Junie now and having a breach in our relations because being a father that I already needed to work at. Because of our love, I think I have been a pretty fair husband and will be again when I return. God help me to understand Junie and her to understand me, I pray sincerely.
This letter seems to have gone off at a rather solemn angle. I didn’t intend for it to, but I have been wondering lately what this life was going to do to me. I haven’t even spoken to a woman since I joined this outfit untill yesterday on the train. I found myself strained and uncomfortable in their presence. I don’t like that because it may affect our relations when I come home. But I don’t want to date these women. I want you! There’s no substitute for our love and that’s what I need. Here’s hoping this war won’t last too much longer and I can come home before I become too much of a hermit.
I have about $75.00 now that I don’t need, except what it takes to buy a watch. I’m trying to get a dependable one for about $50.00 if I can buy one at all. Will send you what money I have left over.
That about washes me out for this time except for a request for another package on back of this page.

Love, Loads of it,
Otis

BACK OF PAGE
Darling send me candy a couple of boxes of crackers and some small blocks of cheese if you can spare the ration points. Anything to make a snack on. The food is good but we have such a long time between super and bed time these snacks go very well. I’d like you to send me a box every week so will enclose a request frequently.
By Sweets. Kiss Junie for me and thank her for the lock of hair. I’d send her one but I’m getting too bald headed anyway – can’t spare it. All my love. To my Two Loves.

Daddy Otis

a_good_username
Mar 13, 2018
That’s actually an incredibly sweet/thoughtful letter! Ty for sharing.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

:yeah:

letter writing is a lost art

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Thanks y'all! I've actually been doing some noise reduction on recordings my aunt made of him talking about the war. It's crazy to hear his voice again after all these years; he died around the mid-80s, when I was in my early teens. I'll post those if my family agrees; he was very much in the middle of it, including visiting Dachau the day after it was liberated and dealing with Jewish prisoners shortly after they were released.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

That would be awesome.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Here's another letter from him to my grandmother.

quote:

6 June 44
England

Hello Sweet: Well at last there is news but I can’t tell you as much about it as you will hear over the radio Now that the invasion has started I feel that the day of my return is that much nearer.

Don’t worry about me, Darling, because I don’t expect to see any action for some time if at all. This school is interesting but there is some of the hardest physical labor attached to it that one can find in the army. A lot of men in our companies would get a big kick out of seeing this bunch of officers work.

Associating with a group of these officers gives me more and more respect for the Army’s system of selecting officers. They always turn out to be a very intelligent group.

I believe you can take almost any group of 25 or 30 officers you happen to catch together and pick a better team in most any kind of sport that will beat the best of the enlisted men in most Battalions (450 to 600 men). They just have more coordination and more intelligence.

I get along as well as any of them. In fact, I think I show more leadership with a group of officers than enlisted men. I have a tendency to give the enlisted men credit for too much intelligence. Despite the fact that I get along with them O.K. and am naturally good natured enough to take things as they come and keep smiling, I ain’t happy! I wanna go home! I’m tired of a man’s world. I want to share my world with a couple of girls in Ark., U.S.A.

I’m sorry I can’t get my mail for a couple of weeks. If I don’t have your letters I don’t have much to write except how much I love you and that just makes me sick with loneliness. I want to park my shoes under the bed in our little “Rest Nest” and sleep: a week.

Most couples have some song they remember as “their song”: one that was heard the nite they met or were married. We have ours-“Two Sleepy People”-remember? But certain songs (or certain lines of songs) always make me think of you-especially the line in “Rose of San Antonio” i.e.: “lips so soft and tender-like petals fallen apart.” It seems to have been written especially about my wife. If fate should separate us for the rest of my life, I could never forget just how soft and tender your lips are! Fate couldn’t be so cruel tho! I will feel those lips against mine again-may it be soon. I love you lots.

Bye Now, Otis

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Also I'm going to go ahead and share those old tapes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHqubOKpwqo

It's my aunt interviewing my grandfather, primarily about his personal experience of the concentration camps. She was a teacher at the time, and some of her students had expressed doubts that the holocaust actually happened, or happened the way they were told. She was making this recording to share with her students. I'm not entirely sure when it was recorded, but based on my cousin's apparent age it has to be late 70s.

It gets off to a slow start as they sorta figure out how to get the tape recorder set up, get my grandfather to stop rattling the map he was holding, and get my cousin to stfu. The real meat of it starts around 4:15.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Ok, HOP ON THIS IF YOU HAVE EVEN REMOTELY CONSIDERED DNA TESTING FOR GENEALOGICAL PURPOSES. This is as cheap as it gets. Period, unless they offer free shipping and even then its only 5 bucks. And this will not last long. 49 dollars for Ancestry test at Woot. (Probably US only but if you have relatives in the US have them buy it for you and ship it separately and then you can ship it back if you're so inclined).

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

trig i wanted to say earlier but it is very hard to listen to and i want to put it away

his voice and clarity, speed of speech. those coughs that cover the lump in his throat and then a rush of irrelevant details and then a hard moment again

thank you for sharing

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Krankenstyle posted:

trig i wanted to say earlier but it is very hard to listen to and i want to put it away

his voice and clarity, speed of speech. those coughs that cover the lump in his throat and then a rush of irrelevant details and then a hard moment again

thank you for sharing

Yeah, it really gets to me too. He was absolutely tough as nails when the situation required it, but generally he was always just very friendly, funny, and positive. Talking about anything negative was not something that came to him easily. To be honest, I'm a bit surprised she got him to talk about it at all.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

During the war, my paternal grandpa was a young teen, bourgeois, and gay/bi but apparently he made it through alright. Grandma was the same age and a farm girl in the depths of jutland, I think she told me about rationing once but thats it.

My maternal grandparents were in their early 30s and lived right next door when gestapo got one of their biggest "hauls". They pretty much refused to talk about it. My mom heard bits & pieces and we've all heard the official story many times over (there are several movies, even), but I cannot imagine it for real.

(trying to avoid too many details on that last bit because it could doxx me)

I guess most people really don't want to talk about it and will not unless "forced". Makes sense..

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
That's something I think about a lot, because I think it's relevant to current events: what must it have been like to be just a regular-rear end person who wasn't directly involved at all, swept along in events that were beyond your control? Like even if you found the whole thing horrifying and wrong, your ability to affect the outcome would be minimal, and there's a decent chance you'd get shot or imprisoned for trying.

Complete side note, but you're in Copenhagen, right? Ever make it to Cafe Intime?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Yea cph. Never been, im usually too poor to go out so apartment parties is my jam... but that place looks interesting! One to keep in mind for future outings. I guess youve been there?

also if it happened again, I would definitely be worthless for some weeks/months then drunkenly do something really stupid and get killed.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Krankenstyle posted:

Yea cph. Never been, im usually too poor to go out so apartment parties is my jam... but that place looks interesting! One to keep in mind for future outings. I guess youve been there?

Yes indeed! A friend from Copenhagen took us there when we were visiting. There's an open mic night there that is a positively surreal experience in a very Christopher-Guest via David Lynch sort of way. One of the strangest, most fun nights of my life.

Krankenstyle posted:

also if it happened again, I would definitely be worthless for some weeks/months then drunkenly do something really stupid and get killed.

Yeah I kinda wonder if that would be me too. I'm not sure if it would be intentional bravery so much as my chronic inability to keep my mouth shut, though.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Whoa, for a while I did used to go to a place on Frederiksberg that was all red drapes and everybody called it like the Twin Peaks or David Lynch or something (the real name is long gone from my memory). It was in a way uglier building though. Weird.

I guess Frederiksbergers have a style

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Right! Exactly that aesthetic, but then the open mic night performers are just a collection of the most bizarre people you've ever laid eyes on. The friend who introduced us to the place started spending some time there regularly and learned that it's actually a mix of people who are legit profoundly weird and performance artists/comedians who are pretending to be profoundly weird people. Beautiful voices, but just a bunch of fuckin' loonies in the best way.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Now I'm definitely gonna go, I know a couple folks who are perfect for that place lol

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
If you do, please report back!

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Trig Discipline posted:

Also I'm going to go ahead and share those old tapes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHqubOKpwqo

It's my aunt interviewing my grandfather, primarily about his personal experience of the concentration camps. She was a teacher at the time, and some of her students had expressed doubts that the holocaust actually happened, or happened the way they were told. She was making this recording to share with her students. I'm not entirely sure when it was recorded, but based on my cousin's apparent age it has to be late 70s.

It gets off to a slow start as they sorta figure out how to get the tape recorder set up, get my grandfather to stop rattling the map he was holding, and get my cousin to stfu. The real meat of it starts around 4:15.

If you want some visuals to go with what he's describing, check out this page from the Jewish Virtual Library. It really makes it hit home just what he saw.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Oracle posted:

If you want some visuals to go with what he's describing, check out this page from the Jewish Virtual Library. It really makes it hit home just what he saw.

Oh wow, thanks!

The real goal with transcribing all of this stuff is to put the letters into a book. I've only shared a few here, but there are hundreds going in both directions. Right now we're running a GoFundMe to get two of his daughters (my mom and my ant) to come to Europe and travel to some of the places he wrote about. Assuming the book actually gets some momentum behind it, we should look into getting permissions to use some of those pictures, and see if they're interested in the audio.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

40% off a six-month ancestry subscription (or monthly though I find the the 6mo the best deal). World is 89 dollars. Ends July 4th (tomorrow!)

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
That was a good story Trig. I wish I had gotten my grandfather's war stories on tape, but it didn't help matters that 90% of it were lies that sounded more appropriate in an Expendables movie. Apparently he didn't think calibrating instruments on B-24's was cool. And it really wasn't, but he got to play with some cool stuff as they captured airfields in France.

Oracle posted:

40% off a six-month ancestry subscription (or monthly though I find the the 6mo the best deal). World is 89 dollars. Ends July 4th (tomorrow!)

30% off if you're not a new user. Still a good deal.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

American Ancestors is granting FREE access to all online databases—including the recently released Mayflower Families Fifth Generation Descendants, 1700-1880—from now through Tuesday, July 17th.

You can use your free guest membership to search more than 1.4 billion names on AmericanAncestors.org this week

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Rumors abound that Ancestry DNA tests will be going on sale for Prime Day, apparently this is already the case in the UK (55 lbs or however you do your goofy little symbol for currency). Prime starts at 3pm EST so keep an eye peeled, lowest I've seen their tests for sale is 49 bucks on Black Friday if you want to use that as your guide as to whether you should jump or not.

Confirmed Amazon Prime Day prices:

- 23andMe Health + Ancestry Personal Genetic Service Kit - 50% off (at 199 normally its still 100 bucks. I'll pass. The just genealogy kit is 99 and apparently not going on sale)

- AncestryDNA Testing Kit: $54.99 (THIS IS ON NOW)

- MyHeritage - $59 in the U.S. (flash sale, apparently not through Amazon).

Oracle fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jul 17, 2018

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Ugh I've spent a drat year writing up my theory on an ancestor's origins. He's perfectly placed to fall between several of the few extant sources.

23 pages must be enough lol :pwn:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

also, it appears that a new type of genealogical spearphishing is making the rounds. I've censored the identifying info in case it's a real thing (all the info was discoverable via google though).

quote:

Dear Sir/Madam,

I see on the Ancestry website there are some persons looking for their [SURNAME] ancestry. E.g. ‘[USERNAME]’. I am not registered on this website and hence cannot contact this person directly.

I am writing from [NAME OF AN NGO], which relies on public support and donations for its continuance. We have received from some unknown donor some original documents relating to a ‘[FULL NAME]’, for example:

1) Ship embarkation certificate dated D MMM YYYY
2) Marriage certificate (to [FULL NAME]) dated D MMM YYYY
... etc ...
x) Other documents in [LANGUAGES]

I would be very happy to return these documents to any existing family member who may be interested.

Can you assist in this regard?

Kind regards

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Has the davidic line died out, or is it possible that there are living descendents of King David?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Probably hard to say definitively in a documented manner.

According to Wikipedia, it seems the Davidic line can be fairly certainly traced into the 14th century. Patrilineal descent might be out of the question but I'd say the odds are fairly good that there are some living descendants (whether it's possible to prove or not is a whole nother question).

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1022414600099311616

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Yeah, I was thumbing through to see if that got mentioned since I'm probably going to a DNA test later this year. On one hand, new medicines to combat stuff is good. The other hand and feet is I'm sure no one was told ahead of time so that's just dirty. :sigh:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Irritated Goat posted:

Yeah, I was thumbing through to see if that got mentioned since I'm probably going to a DNA test later this year. On one hand, new medicines to combat stuff is good. The other hand and feet is I'm sure no one was told ahead of time so that's just dirty. :sigh:

The news article comments claim you can opt out but the opt out agreement is in a flooded basement guarded by leopards or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Irritated Goat posted:

Oh, they told you.

In the fine print.