Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

SiGmA_X posted:

Or it was $5-800 in beer while sitting in the garage looking at the boat.

Just think... all he had to do was sit in a garage with $5-800 in beer while looking out at someone else's boat and it'd have been at the very least acceptable with money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Sundae posted:

Just think... all he had to do was sit in a garage with $5-800 in beer while looking out at someone else's boat and it'd have been at the very least acceptable with money.
Truf. You probably could argue that would be good with money because you could go out on someone else's money pit boat.

quote:

Spending too much money on food help!
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/8mjbyg/spending_too_much_money_on_food_help/

Holy poo poo, after reviewing my expenses monthly, I spend far too much on food. Roughly $600-700 USD a month for 1 person. I'm a 23 y/o M living alone and I have no idea how this is happening as I'm pretty good about buying sale items at the grocery store, spending about $100 a week. I make packed lunch 3 times a week for work, make dinner 6 times a week, never eat breakfast except for homemade coffee and a biscuit everyday, I would say I eat out 4 times a week. I mean on some days I even only eat 1 meal the whole day. Yet when I tally the numbers every month it's like 600-700 which appears to be the average for like a loving family.

I don't think I'm eating like a rich person either, I usually have meals consisting of rice, a meat serving, and vegetables. When I eat out it's like $10-18 per meal. Any tips on cutting down on food expense, I would like to be around $300-400 which is still considered a liberal meal plan.

Update/edit: I just downloaded the app mint to see a graphical representation of my expenditures. So this month, I spent so far $481 on food.
So...Eat out 4x a week at lets say $8-15 (avg $12.50, probably low), so 16 * $12.50 = $200 + $100 * 4 = ... $600! Holy poo poo! Who knew?!

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/8mgsci/first_flip_failed_1m_arv/ posted:

The flip I worked so hard on for my first time failed, and now the bank is selling it full price without me. I am now 26 years old, >$100k in debt, and my credit is shot.

Here's the house:

http://bit.ly/JamestownZillow

And here's my story...

I had been interested in real estate for a while. I tried Fortune Builders in 2014, paid for coaching, and went to a wholesaling summit in 2015 where I decided to start an LLC. For a year, I networked and kept my eye on deals.

I got a lead from NetWorth that seemed great. Comps were going for around $275 sq/ft in this neighborhood of Dallas, and there was a big yard, so I could add on about 1500sqft. I got approved and bought the house for $445k in April, 2016 using hard money - it was appraised for $1.075M ARV, way more than I thought, and I was able to get 65% of the ARV in funding, about $695k. The repairs were estimated at $250k, which included completely redoing everything and building the addition. We estimated that it would take about 4 months, more or less, to finish and sell, and that would generate $250k in profit for me, more or less. So, I borrowed $15k from my roommate for earnest money to secure the property, advanced another $15k or so from my credit cards to cover points and closing costs, and advanced another $20k buffer (using 0% interest promotions on the cards -- I also had perfect credit), and bought it and celebrated.

I had a contractor lined up that was a referral by my realtor, who had sold me my own home. The contractor even agreed to take credit cards, which meant I would earn cash back, and I could build business credit with my Amex charge card.

Then the first red flag came with the contractor. All of a sudden, he couldn't accept credit cards. I wanted to pay him right away to draw up architectural plans and secure permits, but he delayed. He eventually talked me into drawing the money from the repair funds directly at the bank, after the house closed.

I got a call from my realtor a day or two later saying that he had news about the contractor. He had been hearing from other clients that the contractor wasn't paying his subs. The realtor told me to tell the contractor that if he screws up once, he's fired. I should have listened to him. The contractor strung me along for more than a year.

There were so many excuses, no-shows, no subcontractor receipts, unpermitted work, mistakes and do-overs, the architectural plans were delayed for 6 months -- I can't even begin to describe all the problems we had. So instead of getting started on the addition from day 1 and working in parallel, that part wasn't started until at least 6-8 months into the project. Eventually he disappeared when I finally started looking to replace him, and I had subcontractors showing up looking for him, because he owed them for other jobs.

At this point we were 75k over budget, and only had $75k left in funds, and I was paying $7 to $8k a month on mortgage interest. But because the profit margin was so wide, it seemed worth it to keep working on the property. I had been able to afford the mortgage interest all this time because I was an hourly self-employed software consultant, not taking taxes out of my income yet. (that was also a bad idea)[b]

Since I was 75k over budget, the bank wouldn't advance any more funds until we were back under budget... but I didn't have any extra cash. I went online and found the best-reviewed contractors I could find, and vetted them. We worked out a deal to get the work done for $75k, and they would get a bonus on the back-end when it sold (another $75k), contingent on timeliness and completeness.

Everything went great at first. Then, dates started slipping by a lot, I noticed they were substituting cheap materials, and they weren't doing some things I asked for. Nevertheless, the house was 97% complete, and the project was well over a year in.

[b]When we significantly passed the date on the contract, they were sure they weren't getting their bonus, and I finally had run out of money to keep paying the mortgage. I had even sold my own home to keep making the payments for the previous 6 months, as I was no longer consulting as I was now focused on this project full time. I reached out to the contractors for help, but it was already too late. They could still get the bonus if they spotted me on the mortgage payments, but they pulled back because they assumed the worst of financial troubles. Everything finally spiraled into oblivion from there, and I could not save it. The contractor filed a lien for the bonus and stopped working, even though they didn't earn the bonus according to the contract. We listed the house frantically (1% commission), staged it a little early on net 60 terms, and did several open houses, decreasing the price dramatically in hopes that I could get out quick and at least break even. But the house wasn't finished enough for the price point.

[b]Then, a couple months (and $150k of my own money) later, I moved to California to start a new job, and it was all finished. It foreclosed. The bank called me to thank me for working with them every step of the way, and that they were not going to report the foreclosure to my credit. But my own credit was now destroyed. I'm now paying a credit counseling agency to pay off $100k of closed credit cards at reduced rates. I had already missed 3 payments before things balanced out. If I filed bankruptcy I'd still be paying most of it back. Plus, I now have to worry about taxes for 2016 where I potentially owe $24k, and paying back my roommate... I am also facing shutting down my LLC.[b]

The 2nd contractor called me later and told me she was suing her manager because of the shoddy work and paying people under the table, so now I have to show up for a court date to testify. She says she wants to compensate me in the suit, and send her my credit report to repair my credit for free, and give me half of the $75k bonus because she'll file a lien on the property, but I'm skeptical she might be trying to turn around and sue me, the way things are turning out.

Otherwise, things are mostly okay... Just on a 5 year repayment plan, paying about $1900 a month, plus paying back a few other people. I don't have much free money for myself anymore since I am in the bay area now, paying $2k a month for a room, and I'm upside-down on my car, paying $1300 for the Hellcat I bought 2.5 years ago.

So I kind of feel like my life is ruined at 26, but I would really like to start over if I could. Maybe I could try out wholesaling in the bay area and rapidly pay everything off if that goes well, or I could make it big with a good software pitch or something.

I poured my heart into that house, and it makes me sad to see the bank profiting from my blood, sweat, and tears. They finished the remaining 2% of the work mainly by just painting the exterior and fixing the pool. That's why the 2nd contractor said she was going to re-file the lien.

Anyway, so much of the design and work was based on my own diligence, and this house is my brain child. I just wish it paid off.

EDIT: A couple of things.

There are a few things I would've certainly done differently. First, I would've stayed closer to the median market. Higher priced markets are more specialized and take longer to sell. Second, find a contractor I could trust with my life. Third, if a contractor isn't working out, it's never "too late" to fire them, so I should have done that right away.

Also, the point was never to make a lot of money. The decision was in the percentage of profit margin, not the amount. My idea was, if I lost big, I could still sell the property for close to $700k instead of a million. I just didn't expect things to turn out the way they did.

EDIT again: Deleting profile as I've realized I have a duplicate account.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
The cherry on top was looking at the comments and seeing how an experienced flipper (politely and constructively) tore into this shitpile:

quote:

Full time house flipper here, some thoughts.

1. It is good to see posts like this. Everyone and their mother watches HGTV and wants to be a flipper now. Most of them need a reality check. Especially in this hot market. Now is not the time to be flipping. You're 5 years too late.
2. Most first timers fail. So many people come in, take a year to flip 1 house, lose money and leave. loving HGTV.

Some of your mistakes:

1. Not having any of your own capital. Your borrowed literally everything to do this project. That is a sure way to set yourself up for failure. You need to have your own skin in the game to protect yourself. Hard money payments will eat you alive.
2. Taking on a big project for your first flip. Doing an addition is not simple, doing a 250k renovation is not simple. You want to get into this business? Your first project you should be an easy cosmetic flip. Sure it may be low margin. But it will also be a safe learning experience. Hard for anything major to go wrong when you're just doing carpet, paint, etc..
3. Also expensive houses can take a long time to sell. You want to target projects at the market median sales price or lower so it will move quickly.
4. Unrealistic expectations for cost and timeline. 4 months was never going to happen.
5. Relying on other people too much. Listening to gurus, other peoples money, GC, realtor, etc... All the value was coming from somewhere else. You were just the sucker signing the paperwork.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
That's a fantastic story. What are the odds the "credit counseling agency" isn't paying the creditors?

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
How is the boat motor 11,000 of your earth dollars, plus the 800 already spent??

You could get a brand new 350hp corvette crate motor for 6-7k.

This is a 17 foot boat, how??? It doesn’t need a 800hp yacht motor. How????

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
Bad With Money: Otherwise, things are mostly okay...

Regarding the boat motor: I was thinking the same thing. SBC engines aren’t that expensive, but I also don’t know anything about the premium paid on boat implementations, so...

...I’m GWM?

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

I don't know much about boats, but a quick search for 17' Boston whaler shows they are outboard motors. A brand new Yamaha 90hp outboard motor is around 4k from the online stores I saw. I have no idea where the other 7 comes into it.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
I assume its a 75-150hp outboard, that's roughly standard on a Whaler, depending on use and poo poo. I may be a little off on my range, its been years since I tooled around in (other peoples) Whalers.

I just googled and one vendor suggests a 90-115hp motor. Looks like a Mercury 115 is a little over $8k. Plus $3k markup, dumbass tax, and install?

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

quote:

So I kind of feel like my life is ruined at 26, but I would really like to start over if I could. Maybe I could try out wholesaling in the bay area and rapidly pay everything off if that goes well, or I could make it big with a good software pitch or something.

This guy is always going to be a mark because he's perpetually chasing get rich quick schemes. He's paying $2,000 in rent, a $1,300 car payment and $1,900 in servicing his house flipping debt. The only decent advice he got was "don't try and flip houses with other people's money and start small." His next thought is "maybe I'll flip homes in the Bay area."

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

Oh you never know, a good software pitch could also turn things around in the Bay area.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
I had to look up what a Hellcat is. It's a sports car that gets 13mpg in the city. But at least in the Bay Area he'll be able to really enjoy all that power and not just be stuck in traffic all day /s

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

That’s what Skyline and the highway to Sonoma (weekdays only) are for. 280 north of Mountain View outside of rush hour is also fun.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

GamingHyena posted:

His next thought is "maybe I'll flip homes in the Bay area."

Because after you lose all of your money at blackjack, its time to upgrade to the high roller section.

Does San Francisco even have any houses left to flip? I thought they were all owned by mysterious LLC's that were connected to Chinese and Russian money laundering.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

jesus, what is up with idiots with no money buying $70k Hellcats

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011

BigDave posted:

Because after you lose all of your money at blackjack, its time to upgrade to the high roller section.

Does San Francisco even have any houses left to flip? I thought they were all owned by mysterious LLC's that were connected to Chinese and Russian money laundering.

How about a gutted dumpster house in a crappy part of west oakland for more than half a million bucks? Looks historical with serious structure issues too, good luck!

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

C.H.O.M.E. posted:

How is the boat motor 11,000 of your earth dollars, plus the 800 already spent??

Boat motors cost easily 5x as much as a similar engine for non-boat use.

Think about it: they're selling into the market of people who already bought a boat. Talk about easy marks.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

GamingHyena posted:

What do you want to bet the recent college grad's student loans are in deferred and not calculated in his $22/mo monthly cost? I don't want to go all "millennials and their avocado toast!" but shouldn't living with your parents in your mid twenties be a problem you are working to solve rather than a free ticket to finance a sweet ride?

Living with your parents in your mid twenties, that alone, is not a "problem."

Now, some people might do that because they don't have a job and can't afford to live on their own. No employment is the problem in that case, not living with your parents.

If we're talking gwm/bwm here, in what way is not having to pay rent - or at least paying a lower rate to your parents who will presumably use that money on something that's not a horse lease - bwm? That's definitely gwm.

Not to say that you can't be bwm in other ways while living with the parents - or perhaps because of it - but focus on that and not the "living with parents" bit.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
I think it was more “living with parents” and using that to “buy stuff I couldn’t afford (and can’t really now afford) except that I’m not paying rent or contributing to a communal household”

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

OctaviusBeaver posted:

I had to look up what a Hellcat is. It's a sports car that gets 13mpg in the city. But at least in the Bay Area he'll be able to really enjoy all that power and not just be stuck in traffic all day /s

"Sports car" is underselling it a little bit. IIRC, it's the second most powerful production car built going by horsepower (knocked off its podium by the also-a-Challenger-variant Demon). The first one sold in Colorado was totaled within an hour. These cars are really all about murdering people who even slightly underestimate them.

Which is one way to get out of debt, I suppose.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 17:05 on May 28, 2018

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
http://www.hellcat.org/threads/great-family-car.57553/

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

I like that at least one person on the first page of comments says "be safe".

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Haifisch posted:

The cherry on top was looking at the comments and seeing how an experienced flipper (politely and constructively) tore into this shitpile:

There were 2 cherries. He didn't pay for the dumpster so the trash haulers took it away in typical gently caress you fashion, and google street view caught the results:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Dodge should really play up the "family car" angle. If there are no next of kin after the accident the chances of a wrongful death suit drop dramatically. Good with marketing and legal money!

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Contemplating trading in upside down car

quote:

A few years ago, I bought a 2013 Focus ST as a CPO. $1500 down and $396/mo for 72 months. A year or so later, I picked up a used Commander to do towing and winter duties to get to work, because I don’t get snow days. Jeep was financed over 3 years with 0 down through my credit union for $465/mo. I kept the focus for a daily and used the Jeep when I needed to, but I eventually ran into trans issues that I wasn’t able to fix and my trusted trans shop was clueless to, so I decided to ditch both cars and consolidate to one car that provided both a fun daily drive with the ability to tow and drive in the snow. Naive younger me decided that a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 was the ticket, so I bought one for 42k with $0 down and rolled my negative equity from the commander ($2k) into the payment, which put me at $775/month. I never actually got rid of the focus. My girlfriend started driving it and we split the payments and recently I sold it to her and she financed it in her name and is driving it. We are closing on our first home this Thursday (it’s in my name exclusively, so we can avoid that r/personalfinance hot topic) and I’ve been contemplating trading the Jeep in to get something cheaper. I can float the payment on the Jeep, but I’m nervous about the unseen costs of home ownership and would like to lower my monthly debts as much as possible to build up a safety net. My payoff is 36k and the trade in values look to be between 23 and 28k. I could probably get around 30k in a private sale, but all my disposable cash is going towards the closing, so I wouldn’t be able to float the rest of the payoff if I sold it privately. I don’t want to lose that much on a trade, but if I’m going to get out of this car, it needs to be a trade. My thought process has been to look into a cheap lease, with $0 down and roll all the negative equity in, and just deal with an unenthusiastic car for the next couple years. If my girlfriend is cool with it, I would trade cars with her because I have a further commute (40 miles round trip) and I would drive the focus again as a daily. The other option would be to refinance the Jeep, but it has 80k miles and is already out of warranty and I wonder if I’m pushing my luck trying to stretch out payments that far on a 2012 SRT8. I know the standard is to hang on to the car and ride it out, but I’m not sure if that’s true for a high payment like this one on a car that is notoriously expensive to maintain. (The Jeep is in fantastic mechanical condition and I’m not worried about it in that way, but with increases in the mileage, obviously some of the expensive items will eventually need replacing.)

Hit me with the tough love, please.

I will never get tired of outrageous negative equity car stories.

E:

quote:

$30,000 for a used Focus?

OP posted:

22k plus a warranty on a cpo 2013 Focus st back in 2013

Who the gently caress buys an $8000 warranty on top of a “certified pre owned” used car? Isn’t the CPO the additional warranty? The sales people must see this idiot walking down the aisle at the dealer looking like a bag with $$$ on it.

Cacafuego fucked around with this message at 18:26 on May 28, 2018

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
I have lost everything trying to help a friend. Do I file for bankruptcy?
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/8mt81a/i_have_lost_everything_trying_to_help_a_friend_do/

quote:

I'm 28 years old and had worked my entire life to accumulate over $66,000 only to give it all away over the last 10 months trying to help a friend.

I have given every penny to my name, sold all my material possessions and cash advanced all my credit cards to their max in an attempt to fix my friends problem which still hasn't gone away yet.

My credit score was in the 800's but is now around 500.

I have lost everything and am now drowning in around $15,000 in credit card debt.

Most of the debt is cash advance debt which makes the interest every month insane. It would probably take me at least a few years to pay it all off.

Do I live with it or is filing for bankruptcy a good option?

quote:

Long story short, the friend won a settlement but needed to pay the IRS and Department of Revenue Recovery before his lawyer could write a check from the first disbursement. I was helping him with IRS and DRR payments that needed be made with a promise of reimbursement when the check came. I did what I did because I knew what getting the money would mean in the lives of his kids with special needs. I actually tutor his kids...
Someone here got scammed. Either both the OP and their friend, or just the OP. Sounds like they gave away $81k with no legal obligation to be repaid and without validating the situation before giving the money away.

Do you think they were paying the DOR/IRS in Apple or Amazon Gift Cards?

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Weird that the IRS insists on Western Union transfers these days, anyway here's my life's savings

quote:

I have given every penny to my name, sold all my material possessions and cash advanced all my credit cards to their max in an attempt to fix my friends problem which still hasn't gone away yet.

lol

he's 28, grosses <$20k a year and somehow saved $66K only to fork it over to an obvious scam in 10 months

AndrewP fucked around with this message at 22:59 on May 28, 2018

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Motronic posted:

There were 2 cherries. He didn't pay for the dumpster so the trash haulers took it away in typical gently caress you fashion, and google street view caught the results:

Lmao

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

AndrewP posted:

Weird that the IRS insists on Western Union transfers these days, anyway here's my life's savings

lol

he's 28, grosses <$20k a year and somehow saved $66K only to fork it over to an obvious scam in 10 months

I think there is a scam at work here, but the real BWM is the people on reddit who fall for this sob story and send him cash to "help get back on his feet".

He tutors special needs children? Give me a break.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Devonaut posted:

I think there is a scam at work here, but the real BWM is the people on reddit who fall for this sob story and send him cash to "help get back on his feet".

He tutors special needs children? Give me a break.
Do..people do that? I mean the send cash to idiots on Reddit? If so, we could solve :zaurg:s issues!

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

AndrewP posted:

lol

Is his friend a Nigerian prince? I re-read the whole account and I just can't believe that story is true. How could someone be such a sucker to make multiple payments into the thousands of dollars before questioning the situation?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

SiGmA_X posted:

Do..people do that? I mean the send cash to idiots on Reddit? If so, we could solve :zaurg:s issues!
Yup. There's even a subreddit for sending pizza to random strangers, so his daughter can get the 'za at last. :unsmith:

/r/personalfinance bans asking for handouts, presumably because every "I spent $50k on a car and make 20k a year and I'm drowning" post would have a "help me by sending your money to this paypal account" attached otherwise.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Haifisch posted:

Yup. There's even a subreddit for sending pizza to random strangers, so his daughter can get the 'za at last. :unsmith:

/r/personalfinance bans asking for handouts, presumably because every "I spent $50k on a car and make 20k a year and I'm drowning" post would have a "help me by sending your money to this paypal account" attached otherwise.
No poo poo. I have a really cute Labrador who doesn't have a retirement fund... I wonder what that's worth. :allears:

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

C.H.O.M.E. posted:

11k is only, like 5-6k more than the corvette motor and speciality motor costs add up crazy fast. I googled and apparently a 250hp Yamaha outboard's MSRP is $22k. It makes sense, though, because it's a 250hp motor crammed into an incredibly small housing with all kinds of saltwater protections. The fuel and oil delivery systems have got to be weirdo too, because iirc the block actually sits vertically inside the outboard. Plus, economies of scale probably factor in. Not to mention any sort of recreational motor vehicle has crazy markup on parts.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Breakfast Feud posted:

11k is only, like 5-6k more than the corvette motor and speciality motor costs add up crazy fast. I googled and apparently a 250hp Yamaha outboard's MSRP is $22k. It makes sense, though, because it's a 250hp motor crammed into an incredibly small housing with all kinds of saltwater protections. The fuel and oil delivery systems have got to be weirdo too, because iirc the block actually sits vertically inside the outboard. Plus, economies of scale probably factor in. Not to mention any sort of recreational motor vehicle has crazy markup on parts.
Correct from many sides. The packaging is pretty crazy. I don't think I'd want to work on one... Gotta be rich enough to have someone service your yacht, too. (I prefer things with sails and motors as backups...)

Check out the pair on this one. Mmmm 500hp... Definitely makes all the Honduh boyz super jealous.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Breakfast Feud posted:

First 90hp Yamaha I found has a 10.7k MSRP.

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

This is the way that it all falls.
This is how I feel,
This is what I need:

I hope that this is tangential enough to not eat a probation.

I sat down with my parents recently, who talked me through my sister's three-day weddingstravaganza. My folks are solidly middle class and have been saving for years. They had a beautiful house that they recently sold, upgrading to a McMansion that they now both feel is too big for them.

The cost of the wedding?

Two hundred and sixty thousand dollars.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Carl Killer Miller posted:

I sat down with my parents recently, who talked me through my sister's three-day weddingstravaganza. My folks are solidly middle class and have been saving for years. They had a beautiful house that they recently sold, upgrading to a McMansion that they now both feel is too big for them.

The cost of the wedding?

Holy gently caress. Was the wedding just the most amazing thing ever?

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Carl Killer Miller posted:

The cost of the wedding?

How is that even possible? That's over $86,000 a day. Was it held on the moon or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

This is the way that it all falls.
This is how I feel,
This is what I need:

SiGmA_X posted:

Holy gently caress. Was the wedding just the most amazing thing ever?

it hasn't happened yet-coming up in August. Part of their way of justifying the insane cost is that it's a traditional Indian wedding.

The latest cash-related drama involved spending close to ten grand to an Indian seamstress to get traditional outfits tailored for the affair. I received mine the other day (three separate outfits) and they were so poorly made that I couldn't fit my legs into the pants beyond the knee. They sent more money to this person, who then, if my folks are to be believed, absconded with the money.

They also, I believe, are now having to hire a second choreographer, as the first did not work out.

They've never been that good at party planning. When I graduated from college they threw me a graduation party that I really didn't want, inviting almost two hundred of their friends. My guestlist consisted of three people, as everyone I knew was out of town. The party was ok, a little bit weird (one of their friends wrote a 'skit' about me graduating that was performed by several of their friends on stage. To say that I was mischaracterized is an understatement). After the party, they took all of the money and graduation gifts I was given to help pay for said party. It felt like a one-man ponzi scheme, or something.