Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

MechaX posted:

Ended up getting to the first Earth/Space Route split in X and while I would like to see more Char given how he was absent in V, the series split seems lopsided as gently caress to me.

I know "just have everything Gundam related and Buddy Complex on one end" makes some story sense, but at least V had the sense to kinda balance Supers and Reals on their splits.

If I stay on Earth, I get all the Supers like Gurren Lagann, Daitarn, Mightgaine, Wataru, and a decent amount of very good reals to fill out the roster (Ange, Dunbine units, Code Geass). In Space, all I really could work with was ZZ, Wing Zero, and G-Self. Duo, Quatre, and Trowa are cool but I don't really see them making the endgame, and gently caress Wufei. Outside of that, you only have Seabook who was hella nerfed compared to Kincade, the Gundam Team, and Aida who is still kinda underwhelming. Haven't really been able to make the Buddy Complex folks work all that well considering you're always going to need both of them on the field to really make full use of the two.

They could have thrown Space a bone and thrown Daitarn or something up there. It's not like Banjo really has a preference on where he kicks rear end it seems.

I'd have liked to see a couple of the supers shift to the UC Gundam route and move Wing and Buddy Complex to the Wataru route(because Heero is tied to BC in this game in a pretty neat way) for unit variety, yeah. It feels like they overloaded the series list on the Wataru side mostly because many of the supers are one-unit-and-dones whereas UC Gundam has a lot of units.

The early space routes are pretty easily handled even by 2 or 3 solid units. Towasanga units are total trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I liked the Gundam route splits because it gave me a reason to use all the second string mobile suits and pilots I’d never use otherwise.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I like the Gundams being separated on their own route splits so I never had to use any of them or lose any of the characters I cared about

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Whenever they get around to debuting Mazinger Z Infinity do you think they'll evergreen that ala Amuro/Nu Gundam or do you think they'll use it maybe once or twice before going back to the weird Shin Mazinger anime-manga-originals mash-up thing they're doing currently?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Infinity's OK but Char's Counterattack it ain't.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Mercury Crusader posted:

Whenever they get around to debuting Mazinger Z Infinity do you think they'll evergreen that ala Amuro/Nu Gundam or do you think they'll use it maybe once or twice before going back to the weird Shin Mazinger anime-manga-originals mash-up thing they're doing currently?

Maybe we'll get one of those Mass-Produced Mazingers to throw someone into, that would be kind of neat.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Make Boss capable of riding Mazinkaiser again.

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

Let all the Mazinger side characters pilot a mass produced Mazinger/Great Mazinger like in MX.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
I kept Sandrock and Quatre around pretty much all the way to the end because he's a good solid defender with lots of support defense. Also because I like him. He certainly didn't fall behind too hard but he was never going to be main character level of amazing. Mind you his Ace ability looks pretty nice, particularly if you're using him to support defend others close by.

As for taking the Wing boys away from the Gundam route, or not liking the Gundam route in general? I'm sorry but that would mean you don't get to see the best moment of GENIUS in the entire game and if you haven't seen it yet fuckin' shame on YOU.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I like the Buddy Complex kids taking time off from their own route to show up and poo poo on Embryo.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheLastRoboKy posted:

I kept Sandrock and Quatre around pretty much all the way to the end because he's a good solid defender with lots of support defense. Also because I like him. He certainly didn't fall behind too hard but he was never going to be main character level of amazing. Mind you his Ace ability looks pretty nice, particularly if you're using him to support defend others close by.

As for taking the Wing boys away from the Gundam route, or not liking the Gundam route in general? I'm sorry but that would mean you don't get to see the best moment of GENIUS in the entire game and if you haven't seen it yet fuckin' shame on YOU.

Do you mean "How do I resolve a time loop? I loving MURDER IT" solution Heero comes up with?

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

ImpAtom posted:

Do you mean "How do I resolve a time loop? I loving MURDER IT" solution Heero comes up with?

Nope, I'm talking the attempt at negotiations with Towasanga led by Klim Nick and how he resolves things when it fails.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

"What do you mean 'Requires Newtype powers to use'? I'm a genius! If the weapons aren't working, you must have built it wrong."

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Pureauthor posted:

"What do you mean 'Requires Newtype powers to use'? I'm a genius! If the weapons aren't working, you must have built it wrong."

This moment made me laugh my rear end off but felt dumb later on when the Alpha Azieru is bullshitted as having mechanical funnels. :smith:

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Kanos posted:

This moment made me laugh my rear end off but felt dumb later on when the Alpha Azieru is bullshitted as having mechanical funnels. :smith:

I started the Space route to see what it was going to be like and was like "haha, Klim is funny," when I got to that part, and then booted up the Earth route to see which one I wanted to stick with.

And then Bird Man Kurama ended up having a human form, and for someone that knows nothing about Mr. Keith Courage, I was like "hold the gently caress up" and went with that route.

But I got Mazinger Z, and sorry Sakaya and Boss, ya'll cool but I am never ever going to use you in a non SRW Alpha Portable title.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
The next phase of Rescue Skill is just consolidating Repair and Supply.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The incredibly silly trailer concept from the last Gundam Breaker game makes a comeback!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiQG6w4Zwgk

edit: builders' parts no longer work as weapons though, they're just stat boosts.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 15:42 on May 29, 2018

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Caphi posted:

The next phase of Rescue Skill is just consolidating Repair and Supply.

They should do this, and also consolidate support attack and support defense into a generic "support" skill whose uses recharge per phase.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Samurai Sanders posted:

The incredibly silly trailer concept from the last Gundam Breaker game makes a comeback!

edit: builders' parts no longer work as weapons though, they're just stat boosts.

Aww, I loved having an idiotic number of auxiliary weapons and dumb beam cannons.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah at this point it's basically a given that New Gundam Breaker is going to be inferior to 3 in almost every regard besides having a larger unit roster, the only reason to really buy it is so we'll get a better game in the future and to ensure that we keep getting more Gundam games here in the West(really sucks that we have to do that instead of letting a bad game fail, but :capitalism:)

Zore posted:

Aww, I loved having an idiotic number of auxiliary weapons and dumb beam cannons.

Agreed, this is going to really hamper build variety, especially now that it has PvP in it

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It's the first Gundam game to be on steam.

Reminder that the entire point of Rise of Incarnates is because they want a VS. game on the pc, but didn't want to put a Gundam game on it. "People love the brand for the gameplay, not those robot thingies!"

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Tae posted:

It's the first Gundam game to be on steam.

Reminder that the entire point of Rise of Incarnates is because they want a VS. game on the pc, but didn't want to put a Gundam game on it. "People love the brand for the gameplay, not those robot thingies!"

Which is idiotic cause those VS games play like a tire fire

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

drrockso20 posted:

:yikes:/:wrong:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

drrockso20 posted:

Yeah at this point it's basically a given that New Gundam Breaker is going to be inferior to 3 in almost every regard besides having a larger unit roster, the only reason to really buy it is so we'll get a better game in the future and to ensure that we keep getting more Gundam games here in the West(really sucks that we have to do that instead of letting a bad game fail, but :capitalism:)

Agreed, this is going to really hamper build variety, especially now that it has PvP in it

This is a powerfully hot take, considering that most builder part weapons were absolutely loving trash in GB3 and the primary use of the system outside of aesthetics was cramming as many funnels on as possible to apply a damage over time while you did other things. Builder Part beam cannons and poo poo were weak as piss compared to almost any main equipment and generally not worth the time it took to fire them.

I'm really, really not sure how you go from "builder parts don't do things" to "the game is going to be inferior to 3 in every way" considering the franchise has a pretty rock steady record of improving with each iteration. Maybe you could elaborate on that---

drrockso20 posted:

:yikes:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I'll admit my issues mostly come down to the controls being a lot clunkier than they have any right to be, especially for a fighting game(in my opinion more than almost anything else bad controls/interface are the biggest sin that any game made after 2005 can do)

Kanos posted:

This is a powerfully hot take, considering that most builder part weapons were absolutely loving trash in GB3 and the primary use of the system outside of aesthetics was cramming as many funnels on as possible to apply a damage over time while you did other things. Builder Part beam cannons and poo poo were weak as piss compared to almost any main equipment and generally not worth the time it took to fire them.

I'm really, really not sure how you go from "builder parts don't do things" to "the game is going to be inferior to 3 in every way" considering the franchise has a pretty rock steady record of improving with each iteration. Maybe you could elaborate on that---

:yikes:

That's exactly what I meant when it comes to builder parts, without the ability to stick funnels or bits onto any suit it's basically guaranteeing a meta based around body parts that do grant them, and that's going to be boring(and the alternative, them either nerfing them into the ground or getting rid of them entirely is even worse)

Also there's lots of other little things about NGB that are raising warning flags

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

It's kind of amusing because 3 was the only game with those parts, 1 and 2 played just fine without em.

Also, the 'meta'? The hell? If you actually built your gunpla for stats in these games you were doing something incredibly wrong.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

drrockso20 posted:

That's exactly what I meant when it comes to builder parts, without the ability to stick funnels or bits onto any suit it's basically guaranteeing a meta based around body parts that do grant them, and that's going to be boring(and the alternative, them either nerfing them into the ground or getting rid of them entirely is even worse)

Also there's lots of other little things about NGB that are raising warning flags

"It will reduce variety that you can no longer do this thing that you were silly not to do because it was the best possible option under all circumstances" is an interesting view.

Actual main body funnel parts weren't really that dominating in GB3(aside from Strike Freedom backpack, which was a ludicrously overpowered mess because it combined a super mode with a funnel launch). They had long cooldowns that resulted in huge amounts of dead time between funnel launches where your options weren't really doing any work for you; if NGB funnel parts are exactly as powerful as GB3 ones they're not going to be so powerful you need to go out of your way to use them. Build parts funnels were a problem because you could slap them on any loving build you want, it was free damage, but main body funnels involved making tradeoffs.

What "warning flags"?

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Kanos posted:

They should do this, and also consolidate support attack and support defense into a generic "support" skill whose uses recharge per phase.

They did that in OG1 and it was hilariously broken.

Then again, SRW stopped caring about balance around Z3, so maybe it can return.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

They didn't care about balance back in SRW A, when they had Getter Robo proc two different invincible dodges separately. Or Super Robot Alpha that literally gave Real Robots two turns in a row per phase.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

drrockso20 posted:

I'll admit my issues mostly come down to the controls being a lot clunkier than they have any right to be, especially for a fighting game(in my opinion more than almost anything else bad controls/interface are the biggest sin that any game made after 2005 can do)
What's clunky about the controls? Are you not boost cancelling?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Super Robot Wars Alpha 3x Soul Damage.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
In seriousness Alpha was probably a purer form of SRW which was more concerned about letting you play with all the broken things like Open Get in the same cup as all the useless things like being able to... Open Get and use all the Getter Machines.

In comparison modern SRW is "balanced," it's just balanced kind of lazily instead of frenetically.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

No game has ever been as involved and fun as Super Robot Alpha when it comes to obscure points and branches. Choosing a path turns Macross from the TV version to the movie version, or having Bright with the Argama kill an Angel for maximum points.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

MarsDragon posted:

They did that in OG1 and it was hilariously broken.

Then again, SRW stopped caring about balance around Z3, so maybe it can return.

It wasn't really "hilariously broken"; your average power level in OG1 was extremely low relative to the endgame enemies.

It would be pretty easy for them to balance around much more available support attacks and defenses, but it would involve them actually tuning enemies so you're expected to utilize the supports instead of them basically just being tossed on top. Expert mode in X sort of does this(support defenses are a godsend because enemy accuracy is very high).

Caphi posted:

In seriousness Alpha was probably a purer form of SRW which was more concerned about letting you play with all the broken things like Open Get in the same cup as all the useless things like being able to... Open Get and use all the Getter Machines.

In comparison modern SRW is "balanced," it's just balanced kind of lazily instead of frenetically.

Modern SRW is generally just as broken as Alpha was. Pretty much every game has some mechanics or machines that allow you to effortlessly break it over your knee if you want. The Z2 games, for example, were substantially more broken than Alpha because Continuous Movement was introduced and had no limitations so as long as you kept killing you kept moving, allowing any upgraded character to solo every stage bar the boss in one or two turns. The Z3 games, V, and X have Tag Tension/ExC, which can be manipulated in a similar manner to let one character ping pong around the map murdering everything, it's just a little less brainless than Z2.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Pretty sure Z2 limited Continuous Action to proccing only once a turn

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Pureauthor posted:

Pretty sure Z2 limited Continuous Action to proccing only once a turn

I have a save on an old SD card somewhere with a 485 kill Lelouch because of his ability to ping pong around spamming MAP weapons all day.

Irisize
Sep 30, 2014

Z2 definitely limited you to once a turn. It wasn't that busted.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Maybe it was from Lelouch's broken ace bonus casting Zeal on him? I have fond memories of turning stages into challenges where I tried to clear them in one turn with only one or two units, and I usually succeeded.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 11:51 on May 30, 2018

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.

Kanos posted:

Maybe it was from Lelouch's broken ace bonus casting Zeal on him? I have fond memories of turning stages into challenges where I tried to clear them in one turn with only one or two units, and I usually succeeded.

Definitely because of that. Now, if we're talking Z3, then of course you could have one guy wipe out all the mooks in one turn just by using the Tag Tension. Looking at you, Chirico.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Yeah, Z3 is the really busted Continuous Action mechanic, only needing 2 points and there being an item that gives you +1 point when you earn any is pretty gross, add in Noriko's free Zeal at 150 or 170 Will and you're good. 2ndOGs and MD letting you have 3 turns if both units in a twin have it is also pretty rude considering how 2ndOGs at least pretends to attempt balance.

• Locked thread