Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Dude McAwesome posted:

I’m so torn about Jacqui Lambie. Her heart’s in the right place with some things (veterans, welfare, healthcare) but she’s loving insane on things like Islam.

Can I be conflicted about that, or is the only answer guillotine / hero of the proletariat?

As an independent she can't really legislate her nutty stuff but can support decent stuff. Maybe.

I wonder if she hates Hanson and can't see the irony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
Dominos man is bad and his motives for questioning UberEats and others are questionable and hypocritical, but he's not entirely wrong. Personally I'd love for people working for those organisations (and in others in the gig economy generally) to receive actual employee benefits, since from a practical perspective they are. Bring on an inquiry, I say.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
He's only jealous because he isn't legally allowed to pay people at that rate.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Saw the front page of the Herald Sun yesterday with a huge three page story on that celebrity chef who was ripping off his staff.

Whole thing (three loving pages!) was about how him underpaying his staff and how badly he was treating them was making them feel bad.

That's right, it was the people trying to make him pay his staff the money he was obliged to by law were the real bad guys here.

Headline literally:

quote:

"MasterChef star and Vue de Monde owner Shannon Bennett says underpay attacks hurt staff"

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Gary remains best masterchef

until he milkshake ducks me by saying something racist on camera

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Anidav posted:

What if Labor good?

It's nice to have dreams.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Wow.

Cormann posted:

“Since we went to the last election, the United States has legislated to lower their business tax rate to 21%. Since we went to the last election, even France has decided to lower their business tax rate from 33% to 25%.

“Countries around the world, who are focused on the best interests of working families and their respective economies are making sure that their businesses are not put at a competitive disadvantage.

“In Australia, we must do the same.”

Quick, everyone race to the bottom!

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...

Dude McAwesome posted:

I’m so torn about Jacqui Lambie. Her heart’s in the right place with some things (veterans, welfare, healthcare) but she’s loving insane on things like Islam.

Can I be conflicted about that, or is the only answer guillotine / hero of the proletariat?

Lambie is super poo poo about Indigenous rights and recognition too. Last time I *briefly* watched Q&A she was on and spewing all sorts of crap.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

hooman posted:

Wow.

When I think of economies that focus on the interests of working families, I think of America.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe
If we're gonna have at least one racist backwater senator we can and already do worse than Lambi. She's ignorant but not wilfully malicious like Hanson.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

hooman posted:

Wow.

halve the tax rate...but only if we close the transfer pricing loopholes.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
The fix is in. Queer activists will use fear of sharia to create a moral panic about freedom of religion. Suddenly laissez-faire liberals have developed a distaste for pluralism. They claim that codifying freedom of religion will result in sharia. They fail to comprehend fundamental freedoms in context.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
In the context of Western culture, religious freedom is anathema to political Islam. The best guarantee against sharia is Eurocentricity: a cultural agenda that comprises secure borders, the legal protection of fundamental freedoms, and education on the Christian foundations of Western civilisation.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
The Ruddock review of religi­ous freedom was referred to the government on Friday. No sooner had the PM affirmed his commitment to the human right than the dog whistling began. What about Islam — is the government planning to protect Muslims who ­advocate corporal punishment for women under sharia? Great question. Yes, the PM who backed gay marriage last year plans to ­introduce sharia by Christmas! It’s The Handmaid’s Tale meets mincing Mohammed and Gilead rising on a queer Koran.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Much concern about sharia in respect of the religious freedom review is artificial. It’s a beat up to prevent dissenters from queer ideology enjoying reasonable protections from militant activists. However, some concern stems from the appointment of academic Nicholas Aroney to the ­review panel.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Aroney is a law professor who suggested qualified acceptance of sharia might be possible in his 2012 journal article, “The Accommodation of sharia within Western legal Systems”. Aroney and co-author Rex Ahdar considered whether sharia could be compatible with the Western secular state model and concluded a ­reformed version might be. However, the conclusion appears ­unsupportable. At the most critical juncture of the ­article, where the incompatibility of secular law and religious jurisprudence is evident, the argument collapses into postmodern relativism. The ­authors fail to produce a model of sharia that could be introduced without compromising core principles of modern Western jurisprudence. Yet they conclude: “Because the accommodation of Shari’a must depend also on Islamic views about what Shari’a is and how it is to be practised within Western ­societies, much will ultimately turn on the efforts of Muslim scholars, jurists and religious leaders to articulate approaches to the Shari’a that make its accommodation compatible with Western values.”

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
One would expect the Ruddock review not to recommend sharia as a model of religious freedom. In the Western context, ­religious freedom has a particular meaning rooted in Christian scripture that supports the secular state, free will and forgiveness.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Christian religious freedom empowers the secular state. It also embodies a limited state according to Christ’s instruction: “Render therefore to Caesar the things that are Caesar’s; and unto God the things that are God’s” (Matthew 22:21). By contrast, much of the Islamic world is theocratic.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
One of the more potent examples of the difference between ­religious freedom in the Christian and Islamic traditions is their comparative tolerance for it. While Christ exhorts people to come to God and issues numerous warnings to those who turn away from Him, free will is permitted and sin is forgiven. In the Koran, Muslims are taught that non-Muslims are evil and enemies. Muslims are instructed not to “seek the friendship of the infidels”. Jews and Christians are considered abominable.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
you right mate?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
People often assume that the 21st century jihad against America and Israel is a consequence of ­colonialism or interventionist foreign policy. But hatred of Christians and Jews is rooted in the Koran: “Believers, take neither the Jews nor Christians for your friends. They are friends with one another. Whoever of you seeks their friendship shall become one of their number” (5:51).

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

The Western conception of ­religious freedom incorporates pluralism. In its most basic form, pluralism is tolerance for diverse beliefs limited by the principle of no harm. A historical benefit of the Christian scriptural belief in limited state authority is that it ­removes the state’s incentive to monopolise religion. As such, it empowers the flourishing of ­diverse faiths. Consequently, violent monotheism is fundamentally incompatible with the modern West. Yet the Koran prescribes it. Consider the following: “Give courage to the believers. I shall cast terror into the hearts of the infidels. Strike off their heads, strike off the very tips of their fingers!” (8:12). The throat-slashing habit of modern jihadis is no ­coincidence.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Freedom of religion is not possible where that freedom is singular. Nor is the Western conception of religious freedom possible where individual liberty, including the freedom to exercise religious belief, is subjected to state control.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
The legalisation of same-sex marriage has created an unintended consequence of potentially widening the scope for state interference in personal faith matters. Australia has some of the weakest protections for religious freedom in the free world while international precedent demonstrates the use of lawfare against Christians is becoming something of a blood sport.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
While sharia does pose a threat to religious freedom, so too does intolerance of religion in public life. It is ironic to hear the ­persecution of Christians and ­people of diverse faiths frequently ­justified by appeal to diversity and inclusion.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
The Turnbull government ­decided against including substantive protections for religious freedom in the context of same-sex marriage reform. As I wrote at the time, MPs were aware of the threat posed by such reform ­because dozens of cases had been mounted against Christians in overseas jurisdictions following same-sex marriage legalisation.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Australia’s approach to religi­ous freedom should reflect the best of the Western tradition. We believe in free will. We believe in the secular state. We believe in the inherent worth of each and every individual. We want a future where freedom of religion can ­animate the soul of the free world. Neither militant atheism nor hardline Islamism will light the way to liberty.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Was that actually printed or did it just make the website?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
What is the difference between moderate and hardline atheism?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Dr Jennifer Oriel is a columnist with a PhD in political science. She writes a weekly column in The Australian. Dr Oriel’s academic work has been featured on the syllabi of Harvard University, the University of London, the University of Toronto, Amherst College, the University of Wisconsin and Columbia University. She has been cited by a broad range of organisations including the World Health Organisation and the United Nations Economic Commission of Africa.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

JBP posted:

What is the difference between moderate and hardline atheism?

moderate atheists don't believe in god, hardline atheists believe in dick dorkins

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
How do we get in on this persecution of christians. Do I need my own lion or can I get a lender?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

bandaid.friend posted:

How do we get in on this persecution of christians. Do I need my own lion or can I get a lender?

Devine introduces us to Belinda, an “outspoken No voter who owns a beauty salon in Perth“. Belinda (not her real name) was going about her day on Wednesday last week when she was “floored by a gay wedding request“. According to Devine, Belinda received a Facebook message on the salon page from a man named Brad, asking if he and his partner could get all their stuff waxed:

My partner Chris and I have started planning our big day for Jan now the vote thing is over, So excited! We’re looking for a discreet boutique to do a full body wax to make our honeymoon extra special. Do you offer deals?

Yep, truly horrifying stuff. Belinda, who is opposed to gay marriages because of her Catholicism, says she believes the whole thing to be a gee up:

It’s not genuine. They know I’m an active No voter and they think they can goad me… Are they going to turn up at the shop tomorrow? Where do I stand now if there are people out there deliberately trying to force me to participate in gay weddings?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Is this a stroke? Should I call an ambulance?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
The poor sad persecuted bigot.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

MikeJF posted:

Is this a stroke? Should I call an ambulance?

He died doing what he loved. Shitposting and reading the Telegraph.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

lol a woman on Q&A stumbling though a bible quote to prove homosexuality is wrong.

Just regular dinky di aussies on the filthy left wing ABC.

edit: Good on Ged Kearney for not putting up with this locking-up-refugees poo poo.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY fucked around with this message at 13:20 on May 28, 2018

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
Lol you watch qanda

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

thatfatkid posted:

Lol you watch qanda

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU