Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Not that much more to it! One of my coworkers knew him vaguely. He lived in Kaohsiung for a while, owned a bar/kayak shop, got drunk all the time and generally got into trouble. The arson thing was that he was on his way home one night and stopped at the Family Mart for a lovely microwaved hamburger. Apparently he was a known quantity there and they sold him the burger and quickly told him to get out. There was some kind of argument about ketchup and he left promising they’d be sorry. A little while later he was at a gas station filling an empty liquor bottle. He went back to the Family Mart, lit the cocktail, and chucked it at them but uh totally whiffed the throw and just hit the pavement in front of the store. Then he stood there drunkenly shouting at them until the cops got there. He went to jail for a while for that and when he got out he got really drunk again, went to a tattoo shop, and convinced them to write 臺灣 on his forehead and draw the Taiwanese independence flag on his chin. I think the flag at least has been lasered off by now, a clinic offered him free removal as a publicity thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Pirate Radar posted:

Not that much more to it! One of my coworkers knew him vaguely. He lived in Kaohsiung for a while, owned a bar/kayak shop, got drunk all the time and generally got into trouble. The arson thing was that he was on his way home one night and stopped at the Family Mart for a lovely microwaved hamburger. Apparently he was a known quantity there and they sold him the burger and quickly told him to get out. There was some kind of argument about ketchup and he left promising they’d be sorry. A little while later he was at a gas station filling an empty liquor bottle. He went back to the Family Mart, lit the cocktail, and chucked it at them but uh totally whiffed the throw and just hit the pavement in front of the store. Then he stood there drunkenly shouting at them until the cops got there. He went to jail for a while for that and when he got out he got really drunk again, went to a tattoo shop, and convinced them to write 臺灣 on his forehead and draw the Taiwanese independence flag on his chin. I think the flag at least has been lasered off by now, a clinic offered him free removal as a publicity thing.

Please don't dox me.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

sweet lord what a guy

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

...welcome to the republican party!!

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I think at one point he was at least trying to get Taiwanese citizenship and cancel his UK citizenship so that he couldn’t be deported but I don’t know if that worked

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Pirate Radar posted:

I think at one point he was at least trying to get Taiwanese citizenship and cancel his UK citizenship so that he couldn’t be deported but I don’t know if that worked

The UK really loves exiling its undesirables.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Bajaj posted:

Chaoshan Girl's brother's wife had a new baby some months ago. Now they have two boys, but the brother actually likes this one, so the older boy is now double-ignored and neglected by his dad compared to before. She says when he comes home from work, he sits on the couch, starts smoking, and doesn't acknowledge the toddler trying to get attention because his phone is more important. She said he's never bought the kid toys before, or tried to play with him.
This is the guy that makes his housewife borrow money from him to buy groceries to feed the family, even though he makes like $10-15k USD or more per month. When he's feeling moody and they argue he doesn't give her any money so she can't feed the kids and he just shrugs his shoulders, and she has to go to CG or her parents to ask for money. The guy is like 25, got married at 21, and still can't flush the toilet after using it or boil water without starting a fire, so he's a typical Chaoshan male according to CG. Like many of the Chaoshan guys that act as middlemen for buyers, they skipped high school to go directly into earning money, so their faculty of life-long knowledge is stuck around an 8th grade Mainland education. Not the fancy mega-city education, but the village school education. Money is the only thing that matters, along with alcohol, cigarettes, and mistresses. Everything else is for chumps and losers and people who were never smart enough to get rich quick.

CG was over at his house and watching the wife prepare the meal for the baby. Like many modern Chinese women, she has a list of malnutrition problems, can't lactate, and has to give formula. CG was watching and saw the woman take plain tap water and pour into the shaker bottle to mix the formula. She asked her why they don't filter their water, or buy a filter like she has in her house (a large 5-part reverse osmosis filter that cost around $200 USD). The brother was nearby and was shocked at this idea of spending money on water.

Him: "People didn't need to filter their water for thousands of years! They lived long lives. Filtering water is a scam! Did you notice only modern people filter water? Nobody did that before. Why can't we be like them?"
CG: "There's a lot of bad stuff in the water now, like lead, metals, bacteria. It's safer to filter the water. Your new baby shouldn't drink that, he is too young."
Him: "Did Confucius filter his water???"
CG: "What?"
Him: "There is nothing wrong with the water. It is a scam. You wasted your money on a filter because you are young and stupid. You just put the water in the cup and drink it, but people like you want to make it complicated."
CG: "Your baby is too young for this."
Him: "You don't have any kids, what do you know about how to take care of a baby?"

Anyway, lol. I want to meet this guy but I am the big shame. CG's mom and sister know about me, but her mom was so upset that CG made "close" friends with a foreigner that she's kept it a shameful secret from everyone. The mom brought in a rabid pack of Chaoshan aunties and forced CG to take them out to dinner, and they passive-aggressively berated women who date foreigners, saying they are all prostitutes, traitors to China, mentally unstable, and low quality people, and she needs to consider finding a Chaoshan man or else she will never have a happy home life. CG was loling at irony, because every one of these women hated their husbands and all had to tolerate the breadwinner spending 3-4 nights per week with his mistress.

Could one presumably double down on ignorance and claim that "all the good schools in the city" teach the thing that you're arguing for?
Like, as to Confucius having filtered water: "Yes the high class schools in the city teach about Confucius and his filtered water, have you been to a real big city school with real big city education?"

I'm already inclined to believe it wouldn't work based on all the anecdotes on Chaoshan and the people there, but theoretically, would it work somewhere on the mainland?

Escape Addict
Jan 25, 2012

YOSPOS

Mistle posted:

Could one presumably double down on ignorance and claim that "all the good schools in the city" teach the thing that you're arguing for?
Like, as to Confucius having filtered water: "Yes the high class schools in the city teach about Confucius and his filtered water, have you been to a real big city school with real big city education?"

I'm already inclined to believe it wouldn't work based on all the anecdotes on Chaoshan and the people there, but theoretically, would it work somewhere on the mainland?

I love this idea. I bet with enough conviction and condescending laughter, you could make him feel really small for not knowing about Confucius' water filtration setup.

"Hahaha, you idiot! Don't you know Confucius INVENTED filtered water? Why do you think he was so smart? All his intellectual rivals were retarded from lead poisoning while Confucius' charcoal filter made him the smartest man in China!"

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
chinese invented filtered water 4800 years ago did you know

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

Man, everyday I have to interact with some people in our Wuhan backoffice i Die a little. Theyre like retarded children who cant even follow written instructions. On the other hand, our IT dept guys in Shanghai who I handle EDI stuff with seem like a competent bunch.

I wish I was still working for Evergreen :sigh:

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
The is kawaii

https://mp.weixin.qq.com/s?__biz=Mz...5208d2dc676e44&

quote:

Shanghai, China - May 24th, 2018 — The SeekRoad team held its launch party today at WeWork Yanping-lu, where it unveiled its plans to organize 14 tech meet-ups during a ten-month-long cycling journey from Shanghai to London. They shared information about the sponsors who will support the team along their way.

The SeekRoad team, consisting of Chaewon Yoo, a 1990-born South Korean girl and Jianan Li, a 1991-born Chinese guy, plans to cycle from Shanghai to London, organizing 14 tech meet-ups and interviewing startup entrepreneurs on the ancient Silk Road (the areas of today’s One Belt and One Road Initiative) from June 2nd, 2018 to March, 2019. The team will cycle along the Silk Road through 13 countries -- China, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Turkey, Greece, Albania, Croatia, Italy, Switzerland, France and the U.K. and then come back to South Korea, Chaewon’s home country.

quote:

I volunteered in Ecuador for one year in 2012, and I went there without a smart phone.

quote:

“In order to ‘seek my dream’, I just needed to speak out. After telling my cycling plan to people around me, my friends and members from the cycling community kindly offered me with their bikes, jerseys, and panniers. That way, I didn’t have to spend much money to start cycling,” Chaewon says.

Chaewon Yoo and Jianan Li are not cycling professionals. Chaewon first started cycling on a professional road bike this March 13th, and Jianan has not ridden a professional bike for many years. Chaewon was also diagnosed with osteopenia this March, meaning that her bone density is lower than others. Rather than complaining about their physical conditions, the two are counting on their young age and passion.
Can't wait to see all that not-training and flaccid bones pay off.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Ah yes famous stops on the Silk Road like the UK, France, and Switzerland.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

I'll be reeeeal generous and say they make it to about Hangzhou before they crap out and quit.

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
I'd like to see them even make it to the first oasis

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
They’ve made their announcement and gotten their 15 minutes. What makes you think they’ll ever sit their butts on a bike?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Bajaj posted:

The is kawaii

https://mp.weixin.qq.com/s?__biz=Mz...5208d2dc676e44&

Can't wait to see all that not-training and flaccid bones pay off.

What are the odda that someone heard national geographic did this and wanted to copy / do one better than NatGeo? Also I don't think the silk road was, like, a coherent set road but a series of spots known for selling poo poo at?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Someone needs to make a bone hurting juice/TCM mashup meme

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I think their equipment will be stolen/confiscated during their month in China.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
You think he deliberately tries to look like a mass murderer?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

value-brand cereal posted:

What are the odda that someone heard national geographic did this and wanted to copy / do one better than NatGeo? Also I don't think the silk road was, like, a coherent set road but a series of spots known for selling poo poo at?

But in fact the Silk Road is a belt

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

WarpedNaba posted:

You think he deliberately tries to look like a mass murderer?

There are mao look-alikes you can hire for events.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Ceciltron posted:

There are mao look-alikes you can hire for events.

Yeah I'm sure that's one of them.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
those have gotta be some wild union meetings

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
They're maovellous.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

China #1 in forced marriages.
https://twitter.com/AbdugheniSabit/status/1000131015904555009
nothing will be done about this

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Tekne posted:

China #1 in forced marriages.
https://twitter.com/AbdugheniSabit/status/1000131015904555009
nothing will be done about this

I'm the Turkey derail after 4 posts.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
How dare those Han bastards force our women into marriage before we got a chance to

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

You have to admire The Party's ingenious solution to the male overpopulation issue. Soon China will be conquering their neighbors so they can marry their women to millions of lonely boys, who will also be the ones invading.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Tekne posted:

You have to admire The Party's ingenious solution to the male overpopulation issue. Soon China will be conquering their neighbors so they can marry their women to millions of lonely boys, who will also be the ones invading.
Once again, old solutions solve new problems. (China has been doing this sorta poo poo for a long time, historically speaking)

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
I love the posts calling for India to help the situation.

Ha ha ha

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Kharnifex posted:

I love the posts calling for India to help the situation.

Ha ha ha

If anything, shouldn't they be turning to Russia?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Just curious, is the video itself supposed to be proof of anything? You don't see much in it and most of us viewing don't speak Chinese.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Given the levels of public ignorance and gender inbalance in both countries, India and China invading each other to secure 'All the exotic women they're obviously concealing from us' would be hilarious.

Until the nukes fly, at least.

WarpedNaba fucked around with this message at 02:26 on May 30, 2018

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Tekne posted:

Fun fact: In Age of Empires II, if you kill all the other team's women, they lose, because no women means no future. :eng101:

Funner fact: you can do that to yourself, much like China has done to itself over the past decades.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Mistle posted:

Fun fact: In Age of Empires II, if you kill all the other team's women, they lose, because no women means no future. :eng101:

Funner fact: you can do that to yourself, much like China has done to itself over the past decades.

I'm glad I did my part then, by marrying a Chinese woman, and then leaving China together with her.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Oh poo poo I mixed blood this one time but it was during her period so it didn’t count right

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

WarpedNaba posted:

Given the levels of public ignorance and gender inbalance in both countries, India and China invading each other to secure 'All the exotic women they're obviously concealing from us' would be hilarious.

Until the nukes fly, at least.

Can't wait for China to think Haier was sent by India, and for India to think that Haier was sent by China.

Haier will be like some sort of plunging Gavrilo Princip that kicks off a war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
RACE MIXING???????

WAS THIS EDITED OUT OF THE FINAL RELEASE????? DID U SEE SHE CANNOT EVEN FAKE THE KISS? IT WAS THE WORST MOVIE KISS, SHE DID NOT WANT THE CHOCOLATE MAN TO GIVE A KISS. WATCH IT AND SEE REALITY. STAY OUT OF GUANGZHOU!

• Locked thread