Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
i never joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

what is the best scs / ascention install

those two with all boxes checked? + ???
I would never check all of the boxes for SCS. There are lots of components that are just annoying. Improving the Cloakwood spiders, giving Beholders telekinesis so they steal anti-Beholder gear (including the Shield of Balduran, and also from party members that are six screens away because gently caress it, why not), making Trolls more resilient and adding Spirit Trolls to the De'Arnise Keep make the game harder but not more challenging or interesting.

There are some Tactics components that can be used with SCS, like Improved Small Teeth Pass and North Wood.

quote:

weimar item upgrades to get wacky?
The item upgrades give you endgame ToB loot before the Underdark. It's dumb.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I beat Siege of Dragonspear for the first time, and I thought it was pretty good. The obvious standout was Irenicus being a bitch to everyone as usual. I also liked the surprise Mindflayer fight that kicked my rear end the first time I encountered it. Argent wasn't a very interesting antagonist, though, and the final boss was a lot easier than Sarevok and his cronies. All in all, not bad, but I am very glad to be back in good old familiar BG2 territory.

Speaking of BG2, I'm trying to plan out my party. In the past, I've usually taken Aerie as her class combo is very solid. This time around I'm thinking of ditching her altogether for someone more interesting. But Anomen sucks and Viconia doesn't really vibe with my good guys run. Any downside to just EEKeepering Mazzy into a Cleric?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Wizard Styles posted:

The item upgrades give you endgame ToB loot before the Underdark. It's dumb.

I don't know, playing through the whole game with the Club of Detonation sounds pretty fun.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Crowetron posted:

I beat Siege of Dragonspear for the first time, and I thought it was pretty good. The obvious standout was Irenicus being a bitch to everyone as usual. I also liked the surprise Mindflayer fight that kicked my rear end the first time I encountered it. Argent wasn't a very interesting antagonist, though, and the final boss was a lot easier than Sarevok and his cronies. All in all, not bad, but I am very glad to be back in good old familiar BG2 territory.

Speaking of BG2, I'm trying to plan out my party. In the past, I've usually taken Aerie as her class combo is very solid. This time around I'm thinking of ditching her altogether for someone more interesting. But Anomen sucks and Viconia doesn't really vibe with my good guys run. Any downside to just EEKeepering Mazzy into a Cleric?

That's funny, I found the final SOD boss much harder than Sarevok. IMO it's one of the more challenging fights in the series

Anyway you don't strictly NEED a cleric, Jaheira can cover divine magic for you. I think it'd be a shame to change Mazzy since she's such a beast with a bow

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I had an easy time with the SoD boss largely because Argent is a free self-healing tank that I didn't have to micromanage, so everyone else can focus on dodging AoEs and making GBS threads out as much damage as possible.

And as for Mazzy, I'm using the Ashes of Embers component that changes weapon restrictions to be stat based, so I can have her do both.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Crowetron posted:

I had an easy time with the SoD boss largely because Argent is a free self-healing tank that I didn't have to micromanage, so everyone else can focus on dodging AoEs and making GBS threads out as much damage as possible.

And as for Mazzy, I'm using the Ashes of Embers component that changes weapon restrictions to be stat based, so I can have her do both.

On insane difficulty she drops in about 10 seconds unless you step in with a more capable tank

It's possible I didn't have a particularly optimal party lineup for that stage in levelling, it was very magic heavy which is not useful in a fight where most enemies are magic resistant. I had PC berserker(9)/druid dual class, Corwin, Glint, M'Khiin, Edwin, and Baeloth.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Wizard Styles posted:

I would never check all of the boxes for SCS. There are lots of components that are just annoying. Improving the Cloakwood spiders, giving Beholders telekinesis so they steal anti-Beholder gear (including the Shield of Balduran, and also from party members that are six screens away because gently caress it, why not), making Trolls more resilient and adding Spirit Trolls to the De'Arnise Keep make the game harder but not more challenging or interesting.

There are some Tactics components that can be used with SCS, like Improved Small Teeth Pass and North Wood.

Which components are you using for SCS? I'm beginning to get the itch again, but I can never quite make my opinion of where the line between "interesting challenge" and "tedious bullshit" is quite agree with SCS's, especially in BG2.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
I'll go through my current log later. There are some components I'm going back and forth on myself, though, like the vampire buffs. Vampires are pretty bland enemies in the regular game for just how common they are, but the SCS versions are a little annoying and like to glitch out when changing shapes.

Also, other difficult mods I forgot to mention are Tower of Deception and the Chosen of Cyric fight component of the Rogue Rebalancing mod.

Tower of Deception consists mostly of set piece fights that are generally well done.
It also has an optional component that's extremely dumb because it adds a tough mage fight at just about the worst possible moment for that (in Suldanessalar, and yeah the fight is harder than Irenicus) but it is a good mage fight, meaning it's an interesting puzzle.

The Chosen of Cyric fight is straight up bullshit. It triggers right after you leave the graveyard after killing Bodhi so you're almost certainly not rested. All your prebuffs get stripped while the enemies are fully prebuffed. It also features fun stuff like the enemy casters, fanatical followers of an evil god, both being suspiciously Chaotic Neutral so you can't Holy Word them. It's a ridiculous and obnoxious fight, but that may translate to "highly recommended" depending on what you're looking for. :v:

Samuel Clemens posted:

I don't know, playing through the whole game with the Club of Detonation sounds pretty fun.
It doesn't actually give you ToB items, and I don't think there's anything as fun as the Club of Detonation in there.
You get to upgrade Celestial Fury to +5, though, so I guess that's something.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
I mean the upgrades came after Weimers insanely hard fights in Tactics and Solaufein, with all 3 mods I had a blast.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
BG2 continually surprises me with all the quests hidden throughout the city.
- I discovered the backrooms inside the Copper Coronet and saved the slaves. I had no idea that was a thing until I randomly bumped into it.
- I went deeper into the sewers as I searched for the entrance to the slavers stockade and found a strange riddle deep beneath the city. I'm pretty sure I've been collecting things for it? I have a hand, a ring, and a boot. I need four things though, so I'll keep searching until I find one more innocuous item.
- While searching for the acting troupe's member, I came across a hallway full of dead bodies. I decided to continue exploring.
- :stare: I was not expecting this. I made it through the first group of enemies alright, but the second group - holy poo poo. That'll be a puzzle to figure out. How do I protect against the mindflayer's psionic blasts?
- Back to Haer'Dalis, if I don't immediately go into the portal, will it remain open indefinitely? I know if I go in there, it's a one way ticket until I kill the boss.
- I tried the lich inside the inn at the gate district. I was doing okay until he cast time stop and gated a pit fiend in. It went poorly after that.
- The kidnapped kid inside the Windspear dungeon was found and rescued, but I'm going to hold off on Firkraag for now. I haven't even entered the maze yet - I thought Firkraag would be at the end of it, rather than that section being optional. Amazing.
- All of my apprentices died. :sad:

I am amazed at the variety and breadth of things to just do in the game.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
It's not considered (one of) the best CRPG for nothing.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Reading someone's going through BG2 for the first time is so wonderful :allears:

Mindflayers are such massive cunts.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Sorry for the incoming wall of mod installation log text. There's a better way of doing this but it would involve actually going through all the SCS components, which would take some time - and the Gibberlings Three website appears to be down, so I only got the cached text only version to go by right now.

docbeard posted:

Which components are you using for SCS? I'm beginning to get the itch again, but I can never quite make my opinion of where the line between "interesting challenge" and "tedious bullshit" is quite agree with SCS's, especially in BG2.
I wanted to copy-paste all the SCS components I installed for my latest BG1 run here but it turns out I installed nearly everything.
Apart from the spider component, one component I didn't install here is the Improved Miscellaneous Encounters one because it does, among other things, this:

quote:

Jenkal, the halfling traitor in Gullykin, is currently a 4/4 fighter/thief. I raise her to 6/6 and give her some potions of invisibility. Jenkal will flee if badly hurt and will turn up again later in the game. More seriously, the secret passage in Jenkal's home is now blocked, requiring you to go the long way through Firewine Bridge to reach the Ogre Mage.
gently caress NO
It also improves Slythe, one of the assassins in the Undercellar, and makes him nondetectable. That fight is kinda annoying in vanilla due to all the civilians running around and the general SCS enhancements don't help there. The last thing I want to do is make it more annoying.

I'd think twice about improving the Demon Cultists. I got into the specifics of that fight a little in the ironman thread.

BG2, everything SCS and everything else I can find/remember right now that makes the game harder:

quote:

~ASCENSION/SETUP-ASCENSION.TP2~ #0 #0 // Ascension Core (requires ToB): v1.51 BETA BWP 20170519
~ASCENSION/SETUP-ASCENSION.TP2~ #0 #1 // Tougher Abazigal (optional, requires ToB): v1.51 BETA BWP 20170519
~ASCENSION/SETUP-ASCENSION.TP2~ #0 #3 // Tougher Gromnir (optional, requires ToB): v1.51 BETA BWP 20170519
~ASCENSION/SETUP-ASCENSION.TP2~ #0 #4 // Tougher Illasera (optional, requires ToB): v1.51 BETA BWP 20170519
~ASCENSION/SETUP-ASCENSION.TP2~ #0 #5 // Tougher Yaga-Shura (optional, requires ToB): v1.51 BETA BWP 20170519

~TOD/SETUP-TOD.TP2~ #0 #0 // Tower Of Deception Mod (Requires Throne Of Bhaal): v4.0.1
~TOD/SETUP-TOD.TP2~ #0 #1 // Improved Astral Shard Guardian: v4.0.1
~TOD/SETUP-TOD.TP2~ #0 #2 // Encounter with Ustrain: v4.0.1

~SETUP-AZENMOD.TP2~ #0 #1 // Enhanced Trademeet Crypt: v5 BWP Trim + Fix ( I've never tried this before. I don't even remember selecting this. I just went to Trademeet in my current playthrough yesterday, though, so I'll report back about it soon.)

~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #1000 // Initialise mod (all other components require this): v30 BWP fix + K4thos' EET compatibility
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #2010 // More consistent Breach spell (always affects liches and rakshasas; doesn't penetrate Spell Turning): v30 BWP fix + K4thos' EET compatibility
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #2070 // Blade Barrier and Globe of Blades only affect hostile creatures: v30 BWP fix + K4thos' EET compatibility
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #2080 // Cap damage done by Skull Trap at 12d6: v30 BWP fix + K4thos' EET compatibility
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #2160 // Add an extra copy of some hard-to-find spell scrolls: v30 BWP fix + K4thos' EET compatibility
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #2170 // True Sight/True Seeing spells protect from magical blindness: v30 BWP fix + K4thos' EET compatibility
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #4010 // Grant large, flying, non-solid or similar creatures protection from Web and Entangle: v30 BWP fix + K4thos' EET compatibility
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #4040 // Make party members less likely to die irreversibly: v30 BWP fix + K4thos' EET compatibility
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #4050 // Decrease the rate at which reputation improves -> Reputation increases at about 2/3 the normal rate: v30 BWP fix + K4thos' EET compatibility
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #4180 // Make Freedom scrolls available earlier: v30 BWP fix + K4thos' EET compatibility
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #5010 // Move Boo into Minsc's pack: v30 BWP fix + K4thos' EET compatibility
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #5020 // Remove the blur graphic effect from the Cloak of Displacement: v30 BWP fix + K4thos' EET compatibility
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #5030 // Remove animation from the Cloak of Mirroring (leave it for other spells and effects that use the same graphic): v30 BWP fix + K4thos' EET compatibility
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #5900 // Initialise AI components (required for all tactical and AI components): v30 BWP fix + K4thos' EET compatibility
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6000 // Smarter general AI: v30 BWP fix + K4thos' EET compatibility
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6010 // Better calls for help: v30 BWP fix + K4thos' EET compatibility
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6020 // Add high-level abilities (HLAs) to spellcasters -> Only selected spellcasters in Throne of Bhaal get HLAs: v30 BWP fix + K4thos' EET compatibility
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6031 // Smarter Mages -> Mages only cast short-duration spells instantly at start of combat if they are created in sight of the PC: v30 BWP fix + K4thos' EET compatibility
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6041 // Smarter Priests -> Priests only cast short-duration spells instantly at start of combat if they are created in sight of the PC: v30 BWP fix + K4thos' EET compatibility
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6103 // Potions for NPCs -> Two thirds of the potions dropped by slain enemies break and are lost: v30 BWP fix + K4thos' EET compatibility
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6540 // Smarter dragons -> Dragons have a substantial hit point increase: v30 BWP fix + K4thos' EET compatibility
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6570 // Smarter githyanki: v30 BWP fix + K4thos' EET compatibility
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6580 // Improved Vampires: v30 BWP fix + K4thos' EET compatibility
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6590 // Smarter Throne of Bhaal final villain: v30 BWP fix + K4thos' EET compatibility
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6800 // Smarter Illasera: v30 BWP fix + K4thos' EET compatibility
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6810 // Smarter Gromnir: v30 BWP fix + K4thos' EET compatibility
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6820 // Smarter Yaga-Shura: v30 BWP fix + K4thos' EET compatibility
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6830 // Smarter Abazigal: v30 BWP fix + K4thos' EET compatibility
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6840 // Give Ascension versions of Irenicus and Sendai SCS scripts and abilities: v30 BWP fix + K4thos' EET compatibility
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6850 // Give Ascension demons SCS scripts and abilities: v30 BWP fix + K4thos' EET compatibility
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #8010 // Improved Shade Lord: v30 BWP fix + K4thos' EET compatibility
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #8050 // Improved Random Encounters: v30 BWP fix + K4thos' EET compatibility
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #8081 // Improved Bodhi (Tactics Remix) -> Original Tactics Improved Bodhi with SCSII scripting: v30 BWP fix + K4thos' EET compatibility
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #8150 // Slightly Improved Watcher's Keep: v30 BWP fix + K4thos' EET compatibility
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #8160 // Improved Fire Giant temple: v30 BWP fix + K4thos' EET compatibility
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #8170 // Enhanced Sendai's Enclave: v30 BWP fix + K4thos' EET compatibility
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #8180 // Improved Abazigal's Lair: v30 BWP fix + K4thos' EET compatibility
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #8190 // Improved Minor Encounters: v30 BWP fix + K4thos' EET compatibility
~JIMFIX/SETUP-JIMFIX.TP2~ #0 #3 // Fix Smarter Abazigal: v2.4
~JIMFIX/SETUP-JIMFIX.TP2~ #0 #4 // Fix Smarter Irenicus at the Throne: v2.4
~JIMFIX/SETUP-JIMFIX.TP2~ #0 #400 // Prevent silent prebuffs: v2.4

~RR/SETUP-RR.TP2~ #0 #11 // Chosen of Cyric encounter: v4.91 (why did I :shepicide:)
~RR/SETUP-RR.TP2~ #0 #12 // Shadow Thief Improvements: v4.91
I'm also playing with the SoA level cap of slightly below 3 million XP enforced so that should make the later battles more interesting.

The vampire- and mindflayer-related SCS components are the ones I'm most undecided about. I guess this time I said yes to vampires and no to mindflayers, but I have no good reasons for that. v:kiddo:v
I generally always install the Improved Fiends component. Not sure if I just really wasn't feeling it when I prepared this installation or if it glitched out on me.
There's also the fight that makes Irenicus in hell harder. I rarely install it because the writing is really silly and that hurts the final battle more than the increased difficulty helps it imo. I mean, the fight is alright and the vanilla one is too easy, but the writing is just too silly for that moment.
I like the improved Shade Lord but if you plan on recruiting Mazzy early you might want to stay away from it. It's definitely not easy with a party that just came out of Chateau Irenicus. The same could be said for improving the De'Arnise Keep if you want to recruit Nalia straight away but I'd just never install that. It's just tedious.

There's a component to improve the Ust Natha defenses, essentially turning it into a wave combat challenge. I didn't install it because I don't think the full version is beatable without using exploits. I definitely can't beat it. But I found out later on that you can adjust how many waves get spawned with the console, so I'll install it again next time since it's an optional challenge anyway and I might feel like trying one of the slightly easier versions.
I almost on principle don't install anything else that makes the Sahuagin or the Underdark harder, though. That's where so many of my playthroughs end because I lose interest, so I want to be able to just blaze through the fights there to get past that part of the game quickly.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 21:06 on May 28, 2018

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Ah yes, "improved" Irenicus. Hello <CHARNAME>, I somehow managed to knock you out and stole a few of pieces of your magical equipment and patiently waited for you to come to so we could fight. Why didn't I take ALL of your stuff? Why didn't I just kill you? Uuuhhh reasons! Also there's a beholder with me somehow, just to make the combat log completely unreadable. Have fun!

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
That fight is definitely a bit much. It’s very rom-hackney. Though iirc that component has been removed from SCS and now you get a simpler fight.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Suspicious posted:

Ah yes, "improved" Irenicus. Hello <CHARNAME>, I somehow managed to knock you out and stole a few of pieces of your magical equipment and patiently waited for you to come to so we could fight. Why didn't I take ALL of your stuff? Why didn't I just kill you? Uuuhhh reasons! Also there's a beholder with me somehow, just to make the combat log completely unreadable. Have fun!
The fight got toned down a bit or at least has less crazy settings you can choose when you install it now but yeah, the way it's framed is just dumb.
I don't care that much about immersion but Irenicus deserves a better send-off than this dumpster fire of bad mod writing.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
How do I start as a Paladin in BG1? Am I an idiot, because I don't see it listed as a class when creating a character.

Oh, I am an idiot. Can't be a half-elf Paladin for some reason :(

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Pick human as your race and paladin will be an available class.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
this slow walking speed is killing me

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.

Lucas Archer posted:

- I tried the lich inside the inn at the gate district. I was doing okay until he cast time stop and gated a pit fiend in. It went poorly after that.

So, the thing about Liches is that they're not immune to Protection from Undead scrolls. It's horrendously cheesy, but you can kill every lich in Athkatla before a single scroll wears off, and that's all you need provided you have a weapon capable of hurting them. the Protection scroll means they won't even raise their buffs.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Farecoal posted:

Don’t worry by the end of the trilogy you will be able to fix that for up to four, possibly five characters

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Lucas Archer posted:

BG2 continually surprises me with all the quests hidden throughout the city.
- I discovered the backrooms inside the Copper Coronet and saved the slaves. I had no idea that was a thing until I randomly bumped into it.
- I went deeper into the sewers as I searched for the entrance to the slavers stockade and found a strange riddle deep beneath the city. I'm pretty sure I've been collecting things for it? I have a hand, a ring, and a boot. I need four things though, so I'll keep searching until I find one more innocuous item.
- While searching for the acting troupe's member, I came across a hallway full of dead bodies. I decided to continue exploring.
- :stare: I was not expecting this. I made it through the first group of enemies alright, but the second group - holy poo poo. That'll be a puzzle to figure out. How do I protect against the mindflayer's psionic blasts?
- Back to Haer'Dalis, if I don't immediately go into the portal, will it remain open indefinitely? I know if I go in there, it's a one way ticket until I kill the boss.
- The kidnapped kid inside the Windspear dungeon was found and rescued, but I'm going to hold off on Firkraag for now. I haven't even entered the maze yet - I thought Firkraag would be at the end of it, rather than that section being optional. Amazing.
- All of my apprentices died. :sad:

I am amazed at the variety and breadth of things to just do in the game.

Im not sure if you're looking for spoilers or not, but the riddle for the sewers under the copper coronet needs a staff not a boot, and the other item is blood. You get them from the kobold pack that's down there (the shaman has the staff) and by killing the guys pet carrion crawler down there (the blood).

Also with Haer'Dalis don't worry too much about going through the portal, it's a fairly short side trip. There's a tough battle as soon as you go through though, so be prepared.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Farecoal posted:

I always eekeeper the walking speed to 1. Not boots of speed fast but not super annoyingly slow either.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Does Keldornes quest have a time limit on it before he leaves like alot of companions BG1 did?

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Yes, after entering the government district with Keldorn, you have a few days to resolve his quest. There's no reason to put it off. It takes very little time to complete and involves no fighting.

If you mean the cult of the unseeing eye quest, then no, Keldorn will never complain or leave because of it.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Anyone try that NPC mod for Icewind Dale? I'm thinking about picking up the EE next time a sale rolls around and was thinking it might take some of the pressure out of making 6 dudes from scratch. Plus, I like the banter that NPCs get. Is the writing in that mod any good, or are we looking at a cadre of Sareliths?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Crowetron posted:

Anyone try that NPC mod for Icewind Dale? I'm thinking about picking up the EE next time a sale rolls around and was thinking it might take some of the pressure out of making 6 dudes from scratch. Plus, I like the banter that NPCs get. Is the writing in that mod any good, or are we looking at a cadre of Sareliths?

I was one of its beta testers. :v: I think it varies from NPC to NPC. Some I felt were pretty decent, like the halfling thief, the half-orc fighter, and I ended up liking the old paladin dude. But the evil characters... not so much, especially the super-sexy super-charismatic bard lady and the sociopath elf druid.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Farecoal posted:

set your fps limit to 60

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Cythereal posted:

I was one of its beta testers. :v: I think it varies from NPC to NPC. Some I felt were pretty decent, like the halfling thief, the half-orc fighter, and I ended up liking the old paladin dude. But the evil characters... not so much, especially the super-sexy super-charismatic bard lady and the sociopath elf druid.

Three outta five ain't bad. I'll give it a try when I finish up BG2.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Cythereal posted:

I agree with this but I'm pretty sure you're talking about the IWD2 NPCs.

I didn't like the IWD1 NPCs. Not because they're a storm of snowflakes like Saerileth, if anything they've got the opposite problem. They all felt a bit bland and the dialogue was often meandering without any real draw to pull me into their stories. The characters don't really have a hook to speak of, which the IWD2 ones, although not all of them are amazing, all do.
I didn't finish the one playthrough I used the IWD1 NPCs for, though. I think I stopped after the Vale of Shadows. So there's definitely a lot of content I didn't see.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Suspicious posted:

Yes, after entering the government district with Keldorn, you have a few days to resolve his quest. There's no reason to put it off. It takes very little time to complete and involves no fighting.

If you mean the cult of the unseeing eye quest, then no, Keldorn will never complain or leave because of it.

Yeah i mean the quest he's talking about in the sewers. Good to know!

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Wizard Styles posted:

I like the improved Shade Lord but if you plan on recruiting Mazzy early you might want to stay away from it. It's definitely not easy with a party that just came out of Chateau Irenicus. The same could be said for improving the De'Arnise Keep if you want to recruit Nalia straight away but I'd just never install that. It's just tedious.
I don't know why people knock on these so much, they take the arguably two weakest and easiest areas and raise them up to be parallel with the others in difficulty. I really liked them both for some reason. There are tons of quests you can do inside the city before you need to go off into the countryside.

Washout fucked around with this message at 13:29 on May 29, 2018

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Wizard Styles posted:

I agree with this but I'm pretty sure you're talking about the IWD2 NPCs.

Oh, yes, my bad. I didn't even know there was an IWD1 NPC thing.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Just slightly over one day left for the Black Geyser Kickstarter. Looks like a decent haul, if not amazing.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Wizard Styles posted:

Sorry for the incoming wall of mod installation log text.

Thanks! Found this all very informative.

quote:

I almost on principle don't install anything else that makes the Sahuagin or the Underdark harder, though. That's where so many of my playthroughs end because I lose interest, so I want to be able to just blaze through the fights there to get past that part of the game quickly.

Ha, yeah, I remember once in my ill-spent youth staying up half the night to get past whatever the gently caress Tactics did to the Sahuagin City but those days are long behind me.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Azenmod Enhanced Trademeet Crypt trip report:

It crashes the game. :toot:

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

gibberlings is back

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

After playing IWD for seemingly hours with two of my characters refusing to obey my attack scripts I finally looked into the issue. It turns out that they were not wearing gear that gave them magical Non-Detection, instead, that little icon had meant that both been stricken permanently blind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Ah, the classic outcome of asking a malicious genie for "non-detection".