Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

strap on revenge posted:

my pixel 2 xl's wall plug seems to have died :iiam: it charges fine from my switch charger and my USB hub thing from the same cable. does anyone know if google will replace just the power brick?

I'm getting something similar: the USB-C cable that came with my Pixel 2 is being 'iffy' about charging, if one end in particular is plugged into the phone. It'll display the 'charging' icon, but unless it also displays the 'charging rapidly' text it doesn't actually recharge the battery.

Only solution thus far is to blow on the end of the cable, while the other end works first time every time :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I checked the last few pages and didn't see anything; what case do you folks like for the Pixel 2 XL?

I've tried a ton but my fave is Caseology

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I checked the last few pages and didn't see anything; what case do you folks like for the Pixel 2 XL?

Spigen Thin Fit

I looked for a slim case that gave a better grip, using the rubbery materials like the Nexus 5 or an old Kindle, without looking "tactical", and got it here.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Fart of Presto posted:

Spigen Thin Fit

I looked for a slim case that gave a better grip, using the rubbery materials like the Nexus 5 or an old Kindle, without looking "tactical", and got it here.

Spigen is pretty great and that rubber is pretty functional as a shock absorber too

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I have big hands so I don't mind a thicker case, my primary goal is to protect the phone.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
the Spigen Tough Armor (two piece case, the one with the kickstand) is actually pretty baller too. it's not super thick, but definitely makes the phone feel so much more protected, and the kickstand is just a nice little bonus. I know they make it for the non-XL, but I'm pretty sure they make a version for the XL as well.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Tiny Tubesteak Tom posted:

the Spigen Tough Armor (two piece case, the one with the kickstand) is actually pretty baller too. it's not super thick, but definitely makes the phone feel so much more protected, and the kickstand is just a nice little bonus. I know they make it for the non-XL, but I'm pretty sure they make a version for the XL as well.

They do. It's well reviewed although some complain that the kickstand is pretty cheap.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
Yeah, it's just a piece of plastic that flips out. It doesn't necessarily feel super flimsy, but I can imagine that the case looks kinda ugly if/when the thing falls out or the clips that hold it in place break off.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Nice, Samsung's not sending me the monthly security updates, despite being an unlocked phone. Why am I surprised, because I had to force Oreo on it manually, too. I think this fall, I'll just eat any drawbacks and shortcomings on the Pixel 3 XL.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Tiny Tubesteak Tom posted:

Yeah, it's just a piece of plastic that flips out. It doesn't necessarily feel super flimsy, but I can imagine that the case looks kinda ugly if/when the thing falls out or the clips that hold it in place break off.

You have one? Would you recommend it then? I used to use Otter Boxes but I was willing to branch out.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

I still rock a Diztronic case on my Pixel2, it's nice and grippy yet small and unobtrusive.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

kensei posted:

I still rock a Diztronic case on my Pixel2, it's nice and grippy yet small and unobtrusive.
:same:

I don't count on it for drop protection, but I'm also not a habitual phone-dropper (plus I think my G5+ could probably take it).

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

You have one? Would you recommend it then? I used to use Otter Boxes but I was willing to branch out.

Personally, I love mine. I've had two Spigen cases now, the last one on my old LG G5, and haven't ever worried about drop damage to my phone. I was fairly picky when looking at cases for my Pixel 2 and the Tough Armor was one of the few that were both strong on durability, didn't look like total garbage, and wasn't super big

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Fart of Presto posted:

Spigen Thin Fit

Where there is a lip on the sides of the phone, does the lip rise above the display? Like, if you set the phone face down, is the screen touching or just the edges of the case?

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
I honestly never checked that until now.

There is a tiny rise, like .5-1 mm, but enough that the screen doesn't seem to touch anything when I put the phone on the table.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Fart of Presto posted:

I honestly never checked that until now.

There is a tiny rise, like .5-1 mm, but enough that the screen doesn't seem to touch anything when I put the phone on the table.

Cool, was just wondering because I've got a Bear Motion case that is very similar, but doesn't rise enough to give protection to the screen. Basically only adds some grippiness and protects the back from scratching.

Zosologist
Mar 30, 2007

Fart of Presto posted:

Spigen Thin Fit

This is a very good case.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I have one of the Google cloth cases and I love it and regularly get compliments. It will protect the corners on an average drop but the lip in the front isn't super pronounced so a face down drop will probably result in a broken screen.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

couldcareless posted:

I have one of the Google cloth cases and I love it and regularly get compliments. It will protect the corners on an average drop but the lip in the front isn't super pronounced so a face down drop will probably result in a broken screen.

Anecdotal, but I've got mine in a fabric case and last night it survived a fairly rough drop onto a terracotta tile floor which normally destroys anything it touches. I think it landed in the corner.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Pixel 2 XL takes amazing photos

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

So does the OG Pixel XL. (Took this in my backyard a couple days ago)

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

CLAM DOWN posted:

Thermopyle posted:

Come on, you can only truly judge phone cameras with catte pics.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Which one takes a better Snapchat dick pic?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

vyst posted:

I think the 2 XL has better zoom

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Did you run this through a filter? I thought it had some odd HDR halos but when I looked full scale, it's super smeary (like an oil painting filter).

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

vyst posted:

Are you asking for examples vyst

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

FAUXTON posted:

I think the 2 XL has better zoom

P20 Pro has 3x optical zoom and 5x hybrid zoom, I expect a response from my fave instagram babes any minute now. :smug:

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

CLAM DOWN posted:

the bird is cool but the filter and colours are awful

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
https://twitter.com/Slashleaks/status/1001044050378706944

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
In Android P beta the icon for the clock app has the hands of the clock in the position of the current time.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

G-Spot Run posted:

In Android P beta the icon for the clock app has the hands of the clock in the position of the current time.

That's not new in P, mine is doing that on O.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Bought my wife that OG pixel on the woot deal, and have the same problems as the other posters. Mic doesnt work and neither do the speakers, key pad made noises at teh store when we dialed out, then this morning she said it wouldnt play videos on instagram, so I was poking around and it looks like another broken and not refurbished unit sent out. Emailed woot for a full refund and return label hopefully.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

chippy posted:

Oh ok, my husband has a 6p on o that didn't and I'd never noticed it before so assumed it was new

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
So, did Google happen to make fun of the notch at some point?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

chippy posted:

Hmm, doesn't do it for me. I thought maybe because I'm using Nova, but I switched back to the stock launcher and still no.

Nexus 5x.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Well, that's weird. My 2XL is definitely doing it and it's never been on P. I kind of think my 6P did it too but I have no way of verifying that.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

strap on revenge posted:

the bird is cool but the filter and colours are awful

Yours is poo poo too, grats? It's a phone pic using digital zoom, not sure why you're expecting DSLR quality. And I'm not using a filter.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

CLAM DOWN posted:

Thermopyle posted:

Here's a shot from the Nexus 6P; just to keep the generational comparisons going.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
I'm not sure if this should be in this thread or the apps thread, so I apologize if I posted this in the wrong thread. You can just ignore my post if it's the wrong thread and I will get the hint :)

I am looking for a way to map a network folder in Android. For example, on my Windows server PC, I have a folder called F:\games_and_videos\ . That entire drive is shared. I have no trouble accessing it on my Android with file browsers like ES File Explorer. However, that's not what I need. I need a way to "map" the drive/folder in Android, somewhere like /storage/emulated/0/crapola

I can find a ton of people asking about this on various forums, but the solutions seem to be either a Linux command or CIFS Manager (which just inputs the Linux commands for you) but apparently phones no longer use CIFS or something? So none of those methods work for me.

I am on Oreo 8.1. Does anyone know any way to do this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

do u know jenny posted:

I'm not sure if this should be in this thread or the apps thread, so I apologize if I posted this in the wrong thread. You can just ignore my post if it's the wrong thread and I will get the hint :)

I am looking for a way to map a network folder in Android. For example, on my Windows server PC, I have a folder called F:\games_and_videos\ . That entire drive is shared. I have no trouble accessing it on my Android with file browsers like ES File Explorer. However, that's not what I need. I need a way to "map" the drive/folder in Android, somewhere like /storage/emulated/0/crapola

I can find a ton of people asking about this on various forums, but the solutions seem to be either a Linux command or CIFS Manager (which just inputs the Linux commands for you) but apparently phones no longer use CIFS or something? So none of those methods work for me.

I am on Oreo 8.1. Does anyone know any way to do this?

Google had an official Android Samba Client, according to this: https://www.androidpolice.com/2017/07/05/google-releases-samba-client-android-adds-windows-file-shares-downloadsfiles-app/

But Google being Google, it seems to be gone without a trace. But if you search the store for "samba client" you'll probably find something to get you started.