Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Rutibex posted:

why don't consoles let you use mouse/keyboard? they all have USB ports now, you should be able to just plug it in.

unfair advantage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
A console controller cannot reach anything nearing the precision you get with mouse and keyboard, at least none have so far.

I've played and enjoyed some console games but FPS just feels wrong. It's like the controller is drunk, anything I try to do is slow and sloppy compared to what it would be with a mouse.

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Rutibex posted:

why don't consoles let you use mouse/keyboard? they all have USB ports now, you should be able to just plug it in.

Because then people who used consoles for FPS would just buy cheaper mice and keyboards and play than a 60 dollar controller.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Twelve Batmans posted:

Because then people who used consoles for FPS would just buy cheaper mice and keyboards and play than a 60 dollar controller.

yeah like gaming mouses & keyboards are cheap... lol

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
Botw and gow are both good games but people praising them to high heaven confuses the poo poo out of me. Especially botw.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

ChazTurbo posted:

Botw and gow are both good games but people praising them to high heaven confuses the poo poo out of me. Especially botw.

Breath of The Wild is a big empty map with four short dungeons, no fun gadgets like the hookshot, and you can't climb anything while it's raining.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

ChazTurbo posted:

I have both and I really enjoyed god of war apart from the dumb grindy collectible stuff, because I hate that in every game.

BOTW I played for a few hours and beat whoever the boss is after you fart about with that mermaid dude shooting ice crystals and haven't touched it since. It's ugly as gently caress and it's a big open world for no reason because there's nothing in it except the optional puzzle dungeons (Which are really fun, to be fair)

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

we only ever played one hit kills. It fired the fastest.

Uzi and P90 fired faster. The klobb was so bad it only fired once for every two shots spent

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Dyna Soar posted:

yeah like gaming mouses & keyboards are cheap... lol

Most people don't spend money on gaming mice and keyboards. Consoles are played in lower income households as opposed to gaming PC's. Many would prefer to just play with a cheap mouse and keyboard if they can afford it. Why give them that opportunity when you can force everyone regardless of income to drop $60 for a mandatory piece of hardware?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

I played Breath of the Wild for like 5 minutes once and it reaffirmed my opinion that I have no idea why people continue to heap praise on Zelda games past the N64 era, and really the most playable one is still the original; and it completely turned me off of ever buying a Switch, even though I think the hardware itself is pretty cool as poo poo

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

:lol: no. There's no conspiracy to get people to buy more controllers. A good chunk of console gamers don't like using M&K because they grew up with controllers and letting people use it would create an

Dyna Soar posted:

unfair advantage

and completely gently caress up any sort of balance in multiplayer games. Although it would be nice if it was left up to the developer to allow M&K support I can see why it's just a "no" across the board.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I don't know if this is popular but I really liked Gears of War 1. It was very much a throw back, gameplay wise, to the older style of shooters where you blast through everything and get better at handling new enemy combinations as things go on.

But I loving hated Gears of War 2, at least the campaign:

- Everything was so scripted you could literally gently caress off and do nothing half the time and still win
- QTEs up the rear end
- Even more QTEs
- They keep taking your loving guns. Like 10 motherfucking times. You can't say "gently caress the Lancer, I want something else.." because the game goes 'Oh there's a QTE here.. gently caress you, have the lancer back! Sorry if you were saving that ammo, rear end in a top hat!'
- The dumbest and most convoluted plot ever for such a simple loving game
- The big final boss was your own loving ride. Literally a boring vehicle segment you don't even need to interact with then you fight your vehicle.
- To top it off the final boss fight was "point the cross hair at the thing the size of a barn and pull the trigger twice. YOU WIN!"

Seriously GoW1 was a blast co-op, GoW3 was some pretty good fun, but GoW2 can suck my dick

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
yeah the reason is game balance and game balance only. console FPS's are balanced for the lovely gamepad controls with autoaim and other game design. the whole idea of consoles is that everyone has an identical setup. it's not to sell gamepads, lol.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 18:08 on May 28, 2018

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

Quote-Unquote posted:

I have both and I really enjoyed god of war apart from the dumb grindy collectible stuff, because I hate that in every game.

BOTW I played for a few hours and beat whoever the boss is after you fart about with that mermaid dude shooting ice crystals and haven't touched it since. It's ugly as gently caress and it's a big open world for no reason because there's nothing in it except the optional puzzle dungeons (Which are really fun, to be fair)

Also the combat sucks.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Contra: Hard Corps for the Sega Genesis is the best Contra ever made

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Graphically demanding games are a conspiracy to force people to buy overpriced GPUs

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

ChazTurbo posted:

Also the combat sucks.

It really does

I do like the sense of wonder and imagination behind BOTW but it just kinda sucks outside of the puzzles (and the puzzles that use motion controls are a great idea let down by horrible graphics/camera and insensitive controls)

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Rutibex posted:

huh http://stores.horiusa.com/tactical-assault-commander-pro-tac-pro/?cid=playstation-accessories-hori-tac-pro-three-column-01-us-13apr17

This is linked off of the official playstation website

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

ChazTurbo posted:

Also the combat sucks.

Just like the newest god of war

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The combat in BOTW is fine but I wish Link had better evasive maneuvers. The dodge moves suck.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

veni veni veni posted:

:lol: no. There's no conspiracy to get people to buy more controllers. A good chunk of console gamers don't like using M&K because they grew up with controllers and letting people use it would create an

and completely gently caress up any sort of balance in multiplayer games. Although it would be nice if it was left up to the developer to allow M&K support I can see why it's just a "no" across the board.

Actually there's money to be made from licensed hardware. Console players could easily get budget 20 buck keyboard and mouse combos for gaming if it weren't for the restrictions. Most have to turn to overpriced adapters instead aside from the odd MMO and game that does have native support.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
This M+K vs. Controller debate is funny because it's being played out right now in Fortnite. It's cross-platform with PC, at least on Xbone, and there have been quite a few complaints because M+K has a huuuuge advantage when it comes to aiming and building things.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

If there is some grand scheme to get people to buy controllers they are doing a really horrible job of it, because every console comes with a controller, they give us less and less reasons to own so much as a second controller every year, and they allow cheap rear end third party controllers to be used bought and sold. Console makers don't make any money off those adapters. They aren't licensed and they are for cheaters.

You guys are using the goofiest logic to explain something with a really reasonable and obvious answer. Are gamers unable to think anything in this world exists without some nefarious ulterior motive?

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

a bone to pick posted:

This M+K vs. Controller debate is funny because it's being played out right now in Fortnite. It's cross-platform with PC, at least on Xbone, and there have been quite a few complaints because M+K has a huuuuge advantage when it comes to aiming and building things.

Ohhhhhh

I'm not great at console shooters but I'm not exactly terrible and I couldn't figure out why I was dying to a headshot from a mile off while my teammates seemed able to build barricades really quickly.

It was also a really loving ugly and boring game. I miss UT99/2004; they were the last online fps games I actually enjoyed.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
I thought M+K/Controller cross-platform was something the industry considered to be a bad and regretful idea like 10 years ago because M+K is practically designed for precision. It just totally unbalances any game if those two types play against one another. It's why nobody plays online multiplayer with a PC controller.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
x-com games are too hard. suck my dick

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

a bone to pick posted:

Xbone is just a gimped windows PC. there is no reason at all why they couldn't just let the console Fortnite players use keyboard and mouse too

Justin Godscock posted:

It's why nobody plays online multiplayer with a PC controller.

excuse me, fighting games exist

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

Rutibex posted:

Xbone is just a gimped windows PC. there is no reason at all why they couldn't just let the console Fortnite players use keyboard and mouse too

excuse me, fighting games exist

I like using an xbone controller for most 3rd person games.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I'm probably going to buy an xbone controller for my PC soon because the DS4 is a piece of hot mushy garbage. The ps4 is one of the best consoles I've ever bought but the controller is just complete poo poo.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007

doverhog posted:

A console controller cannot reach anything nearing the precision you get with mouse and keyboard, at least none have so far.

I've played and enjoyed some console games but FPS just feels wrong. It's like the controller is drunk, anything I try to do is slow and sloppy compared to what it would be with a mouse.

I prefer controller look/movement over mouse/kb as the controller is a lot less precise and movement actually feels like it has momentum behind it versus all the quick rapid spastic movements on a mouse and keyboard. Sometimes the innate inaccuracy with a control type can make for a better gameplay experience so long as everyone else is also limited to that control type.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

a bone to pick posted:

I'm probably going to buy an xbone controller for my PC soon because the DS4 is a piece of hot mushy garbage. The ps4 is one of the best consoles I've ever bought but the controller is just complete poo poo.

Holy poo poo. I thought I was crazy when people told me they liked the DS4 over the earlier dualshocks. I borrowed a ps4 to play bloodborne and found the controller to be an uncomfortable piece of poo poo.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

the only game i ever felt like a game was really worsened by kb+m is maybe grand theft auto games

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

what kind of hosed up mangled hands do you have to not find the ds4 comfortable

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

basic hitler posted:

the only game i ever felt like a game was really worsened by kb+m is maybe grand theft auto games

eh, the driving was poo poo with a kb+mouse but shooting and basically everything on foot was so much less frustrating

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

a bone to pick posted:

Good call, the Xbone controller is good poo poo. I got the one with the wireless dongle so I can play PC games from my couch and it’s sweet. It’s a really comfortable controller.

I don’t hate the DS4 but the Xbone controller is much nicer.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I like the PS4 controller, but I thought the 360 controller was essentially perfect, so I’m willing to believe that the Xbone controller is fantastic unless they ruined everything.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Every ounce of cutscene in MGS V is boring and dumb and sounds like it was written by an r-word.

... a ... r...apanese?

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

fruit on the bottom posted:

I like the PS4 controller, but I thought the 360 controller was essentially perfect, so I’m willing to believe that the Xbone controller is fantastic unless they ruined everything.

I love and it's smaller than the 360 controller which is perfect for my bitch boy hands. some people don't like the new top triggers but I've gotten used to 'em. They don't feel quite as sturdy as the 360 controller though and you have to buy a proprietary dongle to use the bluetooth connection if you're not on windows 10.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

... a ... r...apanese?

Oh quit nanking his chain, you know what he means.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

fruit on the bottom posted:

Oh quit nanking his chain, you know what he means.

Your attempts to shanghai this thread will not be tolerated.