Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

Ola posted:

Google had an official Android Samba Client, according to this: https://www.androidpolice.com/2017/07/05/google-releases-samba-client-android-adds-windows-file-shares-downloadsfiles-app/

But Google being Google, it seems to be gone without a trace. But if you search the store for "samba client" you'll probably find something to get you started.

Thanks so much for the reply!

I actually tried a bunch of apps; I will use AndSMB as an example. What it did was basically "sync" with the shared folder on the server. So if I have my F:\games_and_videos\ folder linked using AndSMB to the /storage/emulated/0/crapola folder, all the app does is automatically download everything from the F:\games_and_videos\ and dumps it in the /storage/emulated/0/crapola folder. This defeats the entire reason I am trying to do what I am trying to do (not wasting internal storage space).

There's a million posts about trying to do what I am trying to do all over the internet, but they are all from 2012 and earlier, and none of the methods work after google allowed multiple user accounts for whatever reason.

jenny jones fan fucked around with this message at 17:27 on May 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

They'll copy the gesture navigation and the notch, but not the Qi charging.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Kinda feel like if Google really wants to go with a notch and keep the bottom chin like that there better be front facing speakers at least or something.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

do u know jenny posted:

I actually tried a bunch of apps; I will use AndSMB as an example. What it did was basically "sync" with the shared folder on the server. So if I have my F:\games_and_videos\ folder linked using AndSMB to the /storage/emulated/0/crapola folder, all the app does is automatically download everything from the F:\games_and_videos\ and dumps it in the /storage/emulated/0/crapola folder. This defeats the entire reason I am trying to do what I am trying to do (not wasting internal storage space).

There's a million posts about trying to do what I am trying to do all over the internet, but they are all from 2012 and earlier, and none of the methods work after google allowed multiple user accounts for whatever reason.

Hmm! That's weird. I haven't tried it myself, so I'm afraid I can't be of any help other than to suggest you double check the app settings. By the reviews it seems like normal file share operations should be possible, but I can't say for certain.

e: vvv oh

Ola fucked around with this message at 17:41 on May 28, 2018

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

do u know jenny posted:

What might work is mounting the smb share through terminal and then using ln -s to create a symbolic link, but in order to mount the share I think you would need root. Otherwise the smb clients work like you said. Android might not support mounting remote file systems at all tho, I've found differing information on it

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Front facing camera plus front facing iris scanner? Apple style dot projector for face unlock?

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

Blue Train posted:

What might work is mounting the smb share through terminal and then using ln -s to create a symbolic link, but in order to mount the share I think you would need root. Otherwise the smb clients work like you said. Android might not support mounting remote file systems at all tho, I've found differing information on it

I actually am rooted, so this makes me happy.

I just downloaded terminal emulator. What exactly do I need to type? :shobon:

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

do u know jenny posted:

I actually am rooted, so this makes me happy.

I just downloaded terminal emulator. What exactly do I need to type? :shobon:

If it's possible it'll be something like

mount –t smbfs 192.168.0.1:/share1 /mnt -o username=surendra,workgroup=test

just change /mnt to whatever directory you want to access it from, share1 will be whatever the path on the smb server is. IP username and workgroup need to be changed to your information

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Without a headphone jack I may not buy a pixel 3. USB-c adapters are janky as poo poo

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Does usb c still kill your phone or burn your house down if you buy the wrong cables or did they finally get that handled

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Blue Train posted:

Does usb c still kill your phone or burn your house down if you buy the wrong cables or did they finally get that handled

Yes it will still go full Samsung if things aren't just right.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I've been getting stuff from Monoprice and Anker and I haven't been having any issues. There's a lot more USB-IF certified stuff on the market now, too.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I generally trust Amazon's cables, too.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Monoprice now has a USB-IF certified 27w USBC car charger for $8 under their Obsidian brand.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=116&cp_id=10826&cs_id=1082603&p_id=21676&seq=1&format=2

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

always be closing posted:

Bought my wife that OG pixel on the woot deal, and have the same problems as the other posters. Mic doesnt work and neither do the speakers, key pad made noises at teh store when we dialed out, then this morning she said it wouldnt play videos on instagram, so I was poking around and it looks like another broken and not refurbished unit sent out. Emailed woot for a full refund and return label hopefully.
For what its worth I was originally pretty pessimistic about the situation and feared that I'd have to eat any expedited shipping cost, but in the end I was issued a full refund including shipping.

On the other hand, I didn't cancel my order in time for the $8 bearmotion pixel case from amazon, and return shipping is $6 so it doesn't feel worth it to go through returning.

The moto x4 I got instead has been pretty good and starting to grow on me. I'm very impressed with the screen vividness, seems like colors pop way more than the 5X. Overall UI is more responsive which would be expected with better processor.
I don't really like how the whole phone is super slick glass; maybe I'll spray some plastidip aerosol on the back and see what that's like.

e: also the fingerprint sensor on the pixel was for poo poo and the x4 is way easier to train.

peepsalot fucked around with this message at 18:56 on May 28, 2018

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

Blue Train posted:

If it's possible it'll be something like

mount –t smbfs 192.168.0.1:/share1 /mnt -o username=surendra,workgroup=test

just change /mnt to whatever directory you want to access it from, share1 will be whatever the path on the smb server is. IP username and workgroup need to be changed to your information

I really appreciate it. I will give it a try in a few hours and I will let you know how it went :)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

Without a headphone jack I may not buy a pixel 3. USB-c adapters are janky as poo poo

Why are you using an adapter? It has Bluetooth built on :confused:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The Shied TV can mount SMB shares, so there's got to be some way.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Endless Mike posted:

Using isine 20 planar earbuds

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

The Shied TV can mount SMB shares, so there's got to be some way.

I have a Shield TV. I can install AirDroid on it and download any APK from the device. If the thing that allows it is just an APK thing I can maybe grab it that way?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
That ostensible P3XL notch is loving huge. What the hell.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

am i the only one who doesnt care about a notch?

Give it to me or not, it's like way down on the list of things I will care about whether a phone has or not.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Thermopyle posted:

Give it to me or not, it's like way down on the list of things I will care about whether a phone has or not.

The whole "only show like 4 notifications on each side" is stupid, even as someone that doesn't tend to keep a bunch of crap up there. Making a major interaction spot (notification pull down) that little bit further away from where your thumb is when holding the phone is dumb. It's a little change with almost no benefit that brings small but dumb compromises. It's not some deal breaker, it's just dumb.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Yeah, I love the top notification bar in Android and the notch plus clock on the left in P kinda ruins that :( I'm still gonna get a 3 XL don't get me wrong, it's just...stupid.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

It also still has a big, though not egregious like the pixel 2, bottom bezel. Need to get it together

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I

CLAM DOWN posted:

Front facing camera plus front facing iris scanner? Apple style dot projector for face unlock?

Or it's a rebadged htc u12 with dual FFC's for "next level bokeh on the hardware/software" to get google's supremacy back for best camera on a smartphone.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Eh, don't mind notches or blue shifts. I'll skip the P2XL and probably go for the P3XL.

I'm coming from a Nexus 6 with a horrible pink tint if you drop the brightness down. Blue isn't going to be that bad. haha

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

peepsalot posted:

For what its worth I was originally pretty pessimistic about the situation and feared that I'd have to eat any expedited shipping cost, but in the end I was issued a full refund including shipping.

On the other hand, I didn't cancel my order in time for the $8 bearmotion pixel case from amazon, and return shipping is $6 so it doesn't feel worth it to go through returning.

The moto x4 I got instead has been pretty good and starting to grow on me. I'm very impressed with the screen vividness, seems like colors pop way more than the 5X. Overall UI is more responsive which would be expected with better processor.
I don't really like how the whole phone is super slick glass; maybe I'll spray some plastidip aerosol on the back and see what that's like.

e: also the fingerprint sensor on the pixel was for poo poo and the x4 is way easier to train.

Right on. I think I'm just gonna spend the extra $150 and get her a new pixel 1

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Endless Mike posted:

I keep asking this and getting increasingly stupid answers so I stopped.

Would someone please build a phone with RCA outputs though, my television is quite old and I don't think chromecast works all that well besides

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I wish I could get a phone with the superior European SCART connector so I can record my Candycrush Let's Play directly to hi def Betamax.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

syscall girl posted:

I keep asking this and getting answers that don't match my preferences so I call them stupid and then act superior

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Thermopyle posted:

This, except bezels.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I have an Android Auto head unit and a 1st-gen Pixel. Most of the time, I'm listening to a podcast with PocketCasts. If I get a notification, particularly an email, it'll just stop the playback without resuming. I've tested with just PocketCasts and with stand-alone Android Auto and it doesn't happen in either of those two cases. Does anyone have any idea how to prevent this from happening? Or is this just another case of "lol Google"?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

hooah posted:

I have an Android Auto head unit and a 1st-gen Pixel. Most of the time, I'm listening to a podcast with PocketCasts. If I get a notification, particularly an email, it'll just stop the playback without resuming. I've tested with just PocketCasts and with stand-alone Android Auto and it doesn't happen in either of those two cases. Does anyone have any idea how to prevent this from happening? Or is this just another case of "lol Google"?

Look for this a option in Pocket casts

Now if someone can figure out a way to stop youtube from lowering its volume at every notification, I'd love you dearly

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I want a phone with so much bezel it looks like Euclidean geometry.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

hooah posted:

When I use my pixel 2xl with bluetooth in my car, notifications and maps will play over Google Play Music and will interrupt Pocketcasts. I assume its got something to do with lol google and lol bluetooth.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

docbeard posted:

This, except bezels.

You're not alone there, brother. Bezels 4 life.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

vyst posted:

I want a phone with so much bezel it looks like Euclidean geometry.

Gimme that VTech laptop look.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Look for this a option in Pocket casts

Now if someone can figure out a way to stop youtube from lowering its volume at every notification, I'd love you dearly

Except I want it to pause, otherwise I'll lose some of the podcast. It's just that it should be resuming after the notification sound plays. But it doesn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Seems like Spotify hosed with their app unnecessarily. It resets shuffle and repeat now, every time you select a song in a playlist. In the past, it started playing from the selection onwards, now it's being a pain in the rear end by switching to essentially single track playback.