Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
The biggest difference for me when it came to the starbase/claim system was how it changed how I handled colonization. In the old system, when I found a planet that I wanted, I'd rush a colony ship to it, figuring I'd better get it before somebody else did. Now, I pretty much just have a construction ship follow my science ship around, slap a starbase down there, and backfill in colonies later. It's much less frenetic. I think Stellaris 2.0 is generally better than 1.0, but man, I do miss rushing to stake a claim to a system before somebody else takes it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Kaal posted:

I don't think it has to be. In SotS, the hyperlane options were totally viable because they were very fast compared to the other travel modes, and that worked well in combination with the expansionist species that used them. Whereas the warp drives were comparatively slow, and gateways had all sorts of limits on them. And even then, all the species could use STL travel as a backup when necessary. But their movement types were bound up with their other racial traits. The strength of individual Morrigi vessels was balanced by how slow they traveled when alone. The potent swarms of Hivers were balanced by limitations on how many could fit through a gate. The races who could react quickly tended to have weaker ships meaning they needed spend more time marshaling forces. It wasn't a perfect system, but it was one founded upon counterbalances. I do agree that without those counterbalances, the inherent inflexibility of node-based travel would always really struggle to compete in an asymmetric system.

It worked on SotS because the races were fixed, with completely different growth rates, ship designs and research odds. The only way humans were balanced is by having pretty crappy ships and average growth and research rate for example, and the same is true for the Hivers. Give them Node travel and you've got the most broken race in the game.

It wouldn't work in Stellaris because it's too customizable.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Is it just me, or is precursor system placement as of late extra bad? I got one that was over 10+ jumps from my starting system.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Kaal posted:

And I bet your Opinion of them improved, didn't it? :D
I don't know if the random gifts from strangers is working the way it's supposed to, but in practice it has been for me. Every time someone I don't know gives me a gift like that I call them back up and give them a nonagression pact, and going forward I take more of an interest in the wellbeing of that country.

It's weird as heck that there's no gift dialog though. Just "how does this deal sound?" when the "deal" is a pretty substantial gift with no strings attached.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

OwlFancier posted:

Hmm, I just noticed something but apparently when you upgrade a starbase with modules that have combat effects, it also upgrades the defence platforms with those effects too.

So on a full combat starbase the defence platforms have +60% health and armour and +70% range.

Yeah we just talked about that a few pages back.

I’m kind of curious what the best support modules are for a defense base, though- I’m thinking target uplink, comms jammer, command center, defense grid supercomputer?

Eiba posted:

It's weird as heck that there's no gift dialog though. Just "how does this deal sound?" when the "deal" is a pretty substantial gift with no strings attached.

Yeah at least when you give a gift the receiving party acknowledges it as such. Weird that when giving they do not have a separate dialogue.

Dogen fucked around with this message at 17:55 on May 28, 2018

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

iospace posted:

Is it just me, or is precursor system placement as of late extra bad? I got one that was over 10+ jumps from my starting system.

They got the whole "place precurser system close to your territory" thing working well, but often the hyperlane is deep within someone else's territory 10+ jumps away :(

I saw something this morning that shook me to my core. I had enlightened some primitives and they became their own civilization. Their planet quickly filled up with refugees making them a minority on their own world, and sending them into negative food. When they finished building their planet up they were sitting at -2 food. Normally this would see them foreverally starving and loving it, but when I checked back on them later not only had they demolished a lab they didn't need in order to build a farm, but that lab was previously sitting on a +2 food tile.

The AI actually built their way out of a starvation situation!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Aethernet posted:

And +fire rate from the Command Centre. This means you can put autocannons and plasma cannons on your platforms and not be particularly gimped. Or stick KA and Neutrons on there and kill anything the moment it arrives in-system.

Yes, being able to up-range the small mounts for corvette busting to effective range on larger ships is a definite reason to use targetting computers.

Dogen posted:

I’m kind of curious what the best support modules are for a defense base, though- I’m thinking target uplink, comms jammer, command center, defense grid supercomputer?

Given where you're going to place them I would suggest that a listening post is often quite desireable, as you will often have time to swap it out before the enemy actually makes it to the system in the event of hostilities.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

They got the whole "place precurser system close to your territory" thing working well, but often the hyperlane is deep within someone else's territory 10+ jumps away :(

I saw something this morning that shook me to my core. I had enlightened some primitives and they became their own civilization. Their planet quickly filled up with refugees making them a minority on their own world, and sending them into negative food. When they finished building their planet up they were sitting at -2 food. Normally this would see them foreverally starving and loving it, but when I checked back on them later not only had they demolished a lab they didn't need in order to build a farm, but that lab was previously sitting on a +2 food tile.

The AI actually built their way out of a starvation situation!

the AI...replacing a building??? :monocle:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I think the dude who wants more than just hyperlanes should at least give the new layout a shot before deciding Stellaris Is Dead. Personally the jump drive rework is one of the most fun changes the game has. Tactically setting up fleets in unconnected systems to jump in with, say, vulnerable transports or construction ships jumping across closed borders to build a Starbase to cockblock a rival is some good fun. Setting up offensive fleets to jump in to cut off an enemy fleet's reinforcements or escape route is another one. Sure it's midgame tech, but it changes how stuff works. And as you fix more gateways and explore more wormholes, traversing the galaxy becomes much quicker and opens up more avenues into who you can invade/invade you, where you need to focus on defense, that sort of thing. The new system is Good.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I always liked the old travel system and was not personally convinced that the changes were necessary or would be ones I liked, but the new system is absolutely fantastic. I'm not going to say you're not allowed to feel otherwise or anything, but I do think you ought to give it a try.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I was thinking of what's been gutted or severely changed since launch and it's nearly everything.

-FTL has been totally gutted and for the better, the 3-mode was ambitious but they clearly decided on it before doing much play testing.
-Ethos works almost nothing like when the game shipped. It's not perfect and factions need a lot of work or another re-look but it's super different.
-Governments as set picks no longer exist, it's a authority type and then some picks.
-Habitability works totally differently now.
-Warscore/claims system are again totally changed.
-Static defences and star bases are totally changed.
-Anomaly research is now totally different with no failure chance, exploration can't be done with corvettes anymore.

What hasn't been changed too much? All happens to be the things in the game that are still pretty bad.
-Diplomacy and federations and vassals, they've been tweaked a bit since launch but all are pretty bad and lacklustre.
-Combat and ship design is a mess of people asking "what's the new meta" because the feedback on your designs and fleets is still bad and still years in there's whole categories of "trap" weapons because, much like 3-ftl types, they shipping the game with way too many options running up against a system that can't properly balance them.
-Ground combat has been bit updated but it's still just tossin' armies at other armies and isn't very interesting.
-Fuckin' tiles

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Eiba posted:

I don't know if the random gifts from strangers is working the way it's supposed to, but in practice it has been for me. Every time someone I don't know gives me a gift like that I call them back up and give them a nonagression pact, and going forward I take more of an interest in the wellbeing of that country.

There definitely is one. I had something like "We present you this gift in the interest of continuing friendly relations with the Drachen Serene State etc."

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

-Combat and ship design is a mess of people asking "what's the new meta" because the feedback on your designs and fleets is still bad and still years in there's whole categories of "trap" weapons because, much like 3-ftl types, they shipping the game with way too many options running up against a system that can't properly balance them.

I very much disagree with this, I think there are very few, if any, outright bad weapons in the game at the moment except for strike craft which is more of an inability to implement consistent behaviour for them than an actual balance problem. The feedback you get on designs is actually quite strong and a huge number of the prescripted enemy types benefit enormously from specializing your ships against them. Against enemy empires it is less useful because enemy empires do not, as a rule, run with single type, easily countered designs, as you wouldn't expect them to, but there is nothing stopping you from looking at their fleets and building any counters that might apply, except for the fact that you may not be able to see their fleets and that refitting your own takes time you may not have in a war, both of which are entirely reasonable concerns.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

So I've been putting off picking this up for a long time since all the initial reports I read were 'cool skeleton, wait for meat'

Well now there's $125 worth of meat, which is uh, the opposite issue

So, assuming I want to check it out now, what the hell do I buy? Just the base game? Wait for a sale and get all dlc? Some dlc?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Wait for a sale, it's a paradox game.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Everyone just keeps on giving me free poo poo with is a bit weird tbh.

Yeah, I'm seeing this too and I'm having trouble working out what exactly is happening. Might be buggy, might be some weird and poorly explained "please don't hurt me!" from empires who feel threatened.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I found the Nivlac, but didn't have room for them :smith:

But we found space for them now and they're our pals, but none of them have migrated over. Yet.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I found a space amoeba friend

If I look at it on the ship details thing you can see that my guys strapped a gun to it :kimchi:

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Baronjutter posted:

-Governments as set picks no longer exist, it's a authority type and then some picks.

This is probably the only change they've made I don't like. We lost way too much cool poo poo when they changed the governments, especially the Ruler Ships/Armies/Stations. Having a dictatorship and short-lived races and just spending all your money on each new rulers vanity ship was cool.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Shugojin posted:

I found a space amoeba friend

If I look at it on the ship details thing you can see that my guys strapped a gun to it :kimchi:

This is true of all creatures if you look at their details, which you can with many of them since 2.0 came out.

Void clouds are odd in that they are a cluster of gun turrets floating in a glowing ball of light.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

victrix posted:

So I've been putting off picking this up for a long time since all the initial reports I read were 'cool skeleton, wait for meat'

Well now there's $125 worth of meat, which is uh, the opposite issue

So, assuming I want to check it out now, what the hell do I buy? Just the base game? Wait for a sale and get all dlc? Some dlc?

I mean the basic skeleton has a bunch of meat on it, but the extra meat is some very good meat.

Leviathans - A very pro-buy. Adds giant space creatures and enclaves. The creatures are an excellent mid game thing to do, and the enclaves give you ongoing bonuses for a donation every decade as well as a few on-demand perks.

Synthetic Dawn - An okay buy. It lets you change things up by being robots, which is fun but there's plenty of other fun to be had without it.

Utopia - A real must-have. It adds a bunch of features and cool things to do. Ascension Perks, specifically, are a huge game-changer.

Apocalypse - Most of the cool stuff about this one was included in the base game. Marauders are fun but sometimes annoying. Titans and Colossi are cool.

Distant Stars - Super fuckin' good so far. Literally just adds more cool poo poo.

Plantoids Species Pack - The only absolutely necessary DLC. Lets you play as Audrey II.

Honestly, pick up a couple if you have the cash, pick them all up when they're on sale. Buy the soundtrack, buy the portrait packs. Make your friends buy it. Make them play it with you. I have ~300 hours in this thing it's loving good.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Spanish Matlock posted:

I mean the basic skeleton has a bunch of meat on it, but the extra meat is some very good meat.

Leviathans - A very pro-buy. Adds giant space creatures and enclaves. The creatures are an excellent mid game thing to do, and the enclaves give you ongoing bonuses for a donation every decade as well as a few on-demand perks.

Synthetic Dawn - An okay buy. It lets you change things up by being robots, which is fun but there's plenty of other fun to be had without it.

Utopia - A real must-have. It adds a bunch of features and cool things to do. Ascension Perks, specifically, are a huge game-changer.

Apocalypse - Most of the cool stuff about this one was included in the base game. Marauders are fun but sometimes annoying. Titans and Colossi are cool.

Distant Stars - Super fuckin' good so far. Literally just adds more cool poo poo.

Plantoids Species Pack - The only absolutely necessary DLC. Lets you play as Audrey II.

Honestly, pick up a couple if you have the cash, pick them all up when they're on sale. Buy the soundtrack, buy the portrait packs. Make your friends buy it. Make them play it with you. I have ~300 hours in this thing it's loving good.

Side note, if you're playing into really late game I'd bump up apocalypse on the scale. Titans add another layer to your fleet with auras and all that, and you also get edicts that use unity, so it turns from something that eventually is worthless into something that is always good. Marauders and the Khan add some mid-game threats as well that help flesh out the game.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Oh this game still exists huh? Well, have FIVE MORE species for the goon species mod, and it is updated to 2.1.0

Citizen Regime of Karatulas
Free Darenean Republic
Great Lorcanese Authority
Hadadiman High Kingdom
Zoroarsetrian Foundation

As always, feel free to submit more species to me for inclusion. Quote me in the thread or PM me. Also, this document shows which ethics combinations aren't present in the mod yet, so if you're stuck on what to make, take those into consideration!

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

ZypherIM posted:

Side note, if you're playing into really late game I'd bump up apocalypse on the scale. Titans add another layer to your fleet with auras and all that, and you also get edicts that use unity, so it turns from something that eventually is worthless into something that is always good. Marauders and the Khan add some mid-game threats as well that help flesh out the game.

Marauders suck, it's just a fleet of 'always slightly stronger than you' jerks rolling in every 5 minutes to bust up your stations. I mean I assume as some point you outscale them but my god do they suck.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

MiddleOne posted:

Marauders suck, it's just a fleet of 'always slightly stronger than you' jerks rolling in every 5 minutes to bust up your stations. I mean I assume as some point you outscale them but my god do they suck.

Or a bunch of broken raiders piling up like 40 fleets in a single system and not being interesting :(

Is the Sollaris event new? I just got it, and it's fun and good.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

MiddleOne posted:

I’ve gotten a bunch of events from neighboring a marauder empire that I think are new from distant stars- finding ships, resources that have been abandoned; defecting admiral, stuff like that. Also yeah eventually you outclass them and usually their home system is mineral rich in my experience.

kiss me Pikachu
Mar 9, 2008
I like that having all the L-Gate systems in black holes and my science ships repeatedly go through to explore the galaxy finally made the horizon signal event fire for me.

A wormhole/gate/L-Gate connection map overlay would be greatly appreciated at this point.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dogen posted:

I’ve gotten a bunch of events from neighboring a marauder empire that I think are new from distant stars- finding ships, resources that have been abandoned; defecting admiral, stuff like that. Also yeah eventually you outclass them and usually their home system is mineral rich in my experience.

That was added a while ago I think, my neighbours also provided me with an excellent jump in technology by kindly sending a raiding fleet into the border post I built next to them. They seem to scale quite well with my ability to defend against them honestly.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

What's up with raider tech levels? When the great khan comes along they show as overwhelming as if they were a fallen empire or something, but after the khan dies they seem to get set to the galactic average, or at least show equiv to me. Unless they get the super rare federation post-khan, which also seems to set them at overwhelming.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

iospace posted:

Just personally, I've been finding the placement really good. I haven't been keeping track at all of how close to my home system they are, but they've always been connected only to my space, leaving them nice and safe for me to explore. :shrug:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The precursor system placement isn't predetermined, it's rolled when you complete the last quest, so if it turns up in a bad place reload your last save and try again. Personally I've done that a bunch for testing and it's never not spawned connected to my space.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

OwlFancier posted:

The precursor system placement isn't predetermined, it's rolled when you complete the last quest, so if it turns up in a bad place reload your last save and try again. Personally I've done that a bunch for testing and it's never not spawned connected to my space.

Wow this is a good trick, thanks for the info.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
So, I've been fighting the creatures behind the L-Gate, and it really is a giant pain in the rear end.

At first, it was kinda neat having something pop up, roam around the galaxy and gently caress up systems, it really shakes up the game since a lot of empires got gutted and had giant rifts open up. The problem is the Nanite Creatures never stop coming, even if you defeat a few fleets, sooner or later, another wave will just roll through. At least they follow the same pattern and they don't attack planets. Still, losing 1/3 of your income hurts, and its difficult to get back.
When actually fighting the fleets, the only thing I've found is massive corvette swarms with destroyers to soak up hits. Plus you need a ton of PD weapons to handle their fighters. I tried using bigger ships, but the Mothership has a Titan cannon it, which can kill a cruiser in 1 shot, and battleships in 2.
I push towards their home systems, clear out all the surrounding systems, put in stations to harvest the special resources. I'm rebuilding fleets after, and suddenly 3 of their systems instantly spawn in new fleets. They clear the stations and I lose the resources.
I can probably rebuild again, but they'll just materialize in system again. I don't have the fleet strength to take out the home system yet, since that has 6 or so fleets guarding it.
It would be nice if a FE or an AI race was capable of doing anything at all to help. Or they made this feel like less of a slog.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

OwlFancier posted:

I usually play on ironman because I'm a sucker for achievements.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

I haven't had any issues with my precursor system being un-attached to my territory, how many systems are you guys in control of when that happens? Maybe it is an issue that I don't run into because I'm grabbing more territory in that initial land grab.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I got the Vultaum homeworld in this game and it's smack dab in the middle of my empire.

What I do have a problem with though, is one of the new Distant Stars events that gives you coordinates to some ancient laboratory, and in two games in a row now I've had it point to literally the opposite edge of the galaxy.

EDIT: The animal speciments get really spread out too, for the reward they eventually give. I don't mind having to get up to some shenanigans to grab that goddamn Tarblac from my neighbour's territory, but having to run all over the galaxy for them can be a bit much. Easier now with the experimental subspace thingy for science ships, admittedly.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 22:51 on May 28, 2018

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Nordick posted:

I got the Vultaum homeworld in this game and it's smack dab in the middle of my empire.

What I do have a problem with though, is one of the new Distant Stars events that gives you coordinates to some ancient laboratory, and in two games in a row now I've had it point to literally the opposite edge of the galaxy.

it's not guaranteed, i've had that one pop outside my territory and tell me the lab is inside my territory, and also what you get from it is another L-gate insight so it's not like you're missing anything crazy from it

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Dogen posted:

Yeah at least when you give a gift the receiving party acknowledges it as such. Weird that when giving they do not have a separate dialogue.

I was just given a gift from a neighbor and there was a line about "please accept this gift from the <whoever> commonwealth"

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Almost every time I get a precursor homeworld it's some sort of situation like this with me in red.

Like yeah great technically the SYSTEM is very close to my territory, but the hyperlane will be connected to some other arm/cluster of a rival.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

President Ark posted:

it's not guaranteed, i've had that one pop outside my territory and tell me the lab is inside my territory, and also what you get from it is another L-gate insight so it's not like you're missing anything crazy from it
That's kinda the problem, if it WAS something crazy it'd feel like worth making the effort getting to it. Now it's just hanging in my event log for nothing because gently caress bothering with it.