Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Because we aren't even in the same universe as that happening look at the loving graphs dumbass.

Point me to a single instance of large increases in standards of living that occurred without massive increases in cc emission. Go on, find it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

tsa posted:

Because we aren't even in the same universe as that happening look at the loving graphs dumbass.

Point me to a single instance of large increases in standards of living that occurred without massive increases in cc emission. Go on, find it.

All the instances of increases in standards of living prior to industrialization? idk

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Flowers For Algeria posted:

All the instances of increases in standards of living prior to industrialization? idk
These sadly pale - are barely perceptible - compared to those coming with industrialisation.

But there is "dematerialisation". Maybe the future will be much more people being happy with reading stuff on ebook readers, writing each other texts instead of visiting so often, eating stuff that's tasty because you found a good recipe on the internet instead of fancy ingredients, living longer due to life hacks learned on youtube.

Probably not though.

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax

Cingulate posted:

I’m more concerned about dolphins and great apes than about ants
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myrmecochory

fool

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

ha ha wow i loving love climate change

https://twitter.com/StarTribune/status/1001152875437977600

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Bloomberg has upped their projection of electric vehicle cost parity with ICE vehicles from 2026 to 2024, 6 years from now: https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2018-05-22/more-luxury-electric-vehicles-will-soon-be-available-for-lease

Future coming quickly!

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
...what is your point?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
It's been a nice change from watching people who fundamentally agree argue vehemently about minutia having realtalk blunder in here and oh so public poo poo their pants.

Real talks posts have been the funniest things I've read in a long time.

Climate Change: Come for the depression, stay for the laughs

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

tsa posted:

I mean, there's basically no difference in standards of living between France and the US, but the former emits about 1/3 as much CO2 per capita. In fact they emit about 2/3 what China does per capita, despite having an average household income that's several times higher. There's definitely a correlation between wealth and emissions but really no reason at all to believe it's impossible to decouple them.

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax

Cingulate posted:

...what is your point?
you're a narcissistic face-seeker who can't empathise with anything unless it has a recognisable mouth, you know approximately nothing about ecology, and furthermore you are a wretch who will be harshly judged

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

this broken hill posted:

you're a narcissistic face-seeker who can't empathise with anything unless it has a recognisable mouth, you know approximately nothing about ecology, and furthermore you are a wretch who will be harshly judged

"Although the most acute judges of the witches and even the witches themselves, were convinced of the guilt of witchery, the guilt nevertheless was non-existent. It is thus with all guilt." Forget your outdated sense of shame and join your fellow last men as we make the world small:

Nature posted:

Global economic response to river floods
28 May 2018
Increasing Earth’s surface air temperature yields an intensification of its hydrological cycle1. As a consequence, the risk of river floods will increase regionally within the next two decades due to the atmospheric warming caused by past anthropogenic greenhouse gas emissions2,3,4. The direct economic losses5,6 caused by these floods can yield regionally heterogeneous losses and gains by propagation within the global trade and supply network7. Here we show that, in the absence of large-scale structural adaptation, the total economic losses due to fluvial floods will increase in the next 20 years globally by 17% despite partial compensation through market adjustment within the global trade network. China will suffer the strongest direct losses, with an increase of 82%. The United States is mostly affected indirectly through its trade relations. By contrast to the United States, recent intensification of the trade relations with China leaves the European Union better prepared for the import of production losses in the future.

We're destroying natural ecosystems and replacing them with much lamer systems of linked mutual dependence.

On the subject of flooding:

FourLeaf posted:

https://twitter.com/JeremyHarrisTV/status/1000845163478925312
Are places like this just going to be slowly abandoned? A town where flooding like this becomes an every-other-year event does not seem viable.

There's a well-established process, with post-Katrina New Orleans and Puerto Rico being recent high profile examples. Areas that are still viable or populated by by rich white people are rebuilt while impoverished regions are left to decay and eventually abandoned as you suggested. It's the same thing that happens to rust-belt communities that are no longer viable for economic reasons, so we're nothing if not consistent.

Apparently in the US the National Flood Insurance Program is unnecessarily drawing out this process, but my knowledge doesn't extend beyond the John Oliver video. I don't know how you fix this without destroying a low of homeowner wealth in the process, making it politically a non-starter.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

FourLeaf posted:

https://twitter.com/JeremyHarrisTV/status/1000845163478925312

Are places like this just going to be slowly abandoned? A town where flooding like this becomes an every-other-year event does not seem viable.

Good read on this: http://40yrs.blogspot.com/2018/05/i-am-fine-i-am-dry-and-this-was-not.html

It was a fairly intense storm, but beyond a few flooded basements, it should not have been a disaster.

The flooding was caused by reckless and uninformed real estate development:

ELLICOTT CITY FLOOD: STOP CALLING IT A NATURAL DISASTER

For 200+ years the flooding in Ellicott City came from the rising of the Patapsco River and was mostly limited to lower Main Street. During major rain storms the water was absorbed into the ground in the surrounding woods north and west of town and the Tiber River, which runs east along Fredrick Road, was wide enough to handle the overflow that ran through town. (rivers have the uncanny ability to be just as wide and deep as they need to be)

In the past 20+ years developers and Howard County zoning board have banded together to pave over all of those woods with medium and high density housing. The yellow area is mostly new construction built in the last two decades. When you pave over the natural terrain and add sewers and roads that lead directly to Main Street (red area) you get a high speed rollercoaster for the water to ride right through town. This “top down” flooding has nothing to do with Mother Nature. This is a man-made disaster caused by greedy and/or uninformed people who decided that building homes above this wonderful city was worth the risk of destroying it.

………

The county executive may be right that this is a “once in a thousand year storm” but anyone who has ever been on Main Street in a rain storm knows that flooding is a common occurrence since the construction above town became so out of control. Now, in perfect irony, The state and county will spend more money than they earn on tax from new construction to fix the damage it created. This is a horrible disaster but nature had nothing to do with it.
This problem was foreseeable, and there have been plenty of indications of a problem even before the last flood 2 years ago.

I am not sure what can be done to fix this now, though requiring the replacement of driveways and parking lots with porous surfaces could not hurt.

-----

I spent a year+ working in the general area. This was a lovely town with some nice cycling paths.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I'm sure most goons are familiar with groverhaus, but one goon who lives in Ellicott city got his house flooded in 2016, the same day he was hosting a goonmeet bbq, so they started calling it floodhaus. He was finally in the process of moving but had a decent amount of stuff still there that all got destroyed in this flood. There's a nice 15 foot deep sinkhole full of water outside the door now.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Oh man that sucks :smith:

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

this broken hill posted:

Human lives matter. Ant lives primarily matter insofar as they matter for humans. The intrinsic value of ant lives is rather low, compared to that of humans.

That's simply because human lives are really, really important. Ants, meh.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Cingulate posted:

Human lives matter. Ant lives primarily matter insofar as they matter for humans. The intrinsic value of ant lives is rather low, compared to that of humans.

Important as decided by who?

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

Cingulate posted:

Well I can tell this guy isn’t a loving ant.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Important as decided by who?
Intrinsic moral value does not come from any authority. It's intrinsic.

90s Rememberer
Nov 30, 2017

by R. Guyovich
that's a nice way of saying "it is because I say it is", rolling coal may have intrinsic moral value for the people who do it, doesn't make it any less stupid

I'm not saying you're wrong, but your justification is pretty shaky atm

for what it's worth I largely agree with you, biodiversity is good because it's beneficial to humanity, not because it has "intrinsic moral value" or whatever

from a purely utilitarian standpoint it makes sense to preserve as much biodiversity as possible there's no reason to bring intrinsic moral value into the equation

90s Rememberer fucked around with this message at 23:24 on May 29, 2018

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

self unaware posted:

that's a nice way of saying "it is because I say it is"
I explicitly said intrinsic value does not come from any authority.

self unaware posted:

I'm not saying you're wrong, but your justification is pretty shaky atm
Well come back to me when you've derived is from ought then :smuggo:

self unaware posted:

for what it's worth I largely agree with you, biodiversity is good because it's beneficial to humanity, not because it has "intrinsic moral value" or whatever

from a purely utilitarian standpoint it makes sense to preserve as much biodiversity as possible there's no reason to bring intrinsic moral value into the equation
Utilitarianism is the theory which assigns intrinsic value exclusively to some measure of utility (e.g., pleasure or preference fulfilment).
I mean, I too am not disagreeing with you here, just being precise.

90s Rememberer
Nov 30, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Cingulate posted:

I explicitly said intrinsic value does not come from any authority.

Except you, since you're the one claiming that it exists.

quote:

Utilitarianism is the theory which assigns intrinsic value exclusively to some measure of utility (e.g., pleasure or preference fulfilment).
I mean, I too am not disagreeing with you here, just being precise.

Alright but just saying "It has intrinsic value" doesn't mean anything. Why is the question people are looking for you to answer.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

self unaware posted:

Alright but just saying "It has intrinsic value" doesn't mean anything. Why is the question people are looking for you to answer.

Two bears, one is about to attack a deer, one is about to attack a human being. You have one bullet. Which one do you shoot?

Don't goonsay about your aiming ability or whatever. This is an allegory about intrinsic value.

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 23:47 on May 29, 2018

90s Rememberer
Nov 30, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Thug Lessons posted:

I mean, there's basically no difference in standards of living between France and the US, but the former emits about 1/3 as much CO2 per capita. In fact they emit about 2/3 what China does per capita, despite having an average household income that's several times higher. There's definitely a correlation between wealth and emissions but really no reason at all to believe it's impossible to decouple them.

This is essentially where I'm at. Globally speaking we haven't decoupled carbon emissions from standards of living enough, but that doesn't make it impossible. Solutions/mitigation to climate change is almost guaranteed to be "never attempted before" so if your requirement for solutions is "things that have already happened" I wouldn't hold your breath.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I would much, much rather my children be able to see birds in the trees than have one more human on this earth, though

90s Rememberer
Nov 30, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Hello Sailor posted:

Two bears, one is about to attack a deer, one is about to attack a human being. You have one bullet. Which one do you shoot?

Depends on the person

I mean, I agree that human lives have more worth than deer lives. But it's not because humans are intrinsically more valuable than deer, it's because humans are just more valuable than deer period (unless they are dead, in which case the deer offers more value probably since you can eat it).

90s Rememberer fucked around with this message at 23:48 on May 29, 2018

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Hello Sailor posted:

Don't goonsay about your aiming ability or whatever. This is an allegory about intrinsic value.

myself, to spare myself the inevitable hellfuture

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
gently caress your retarded allegories and gently caress your stupid rear end kids that will only ever be worthwhile to someone else as a consumer and advertising absorber

Lecture to us some more as you wear your Bangladeshi child made T-shirt about how every child deserves a good life

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

self unaware posted:

Depends on the person

I mean, I agree that human lives have more worth than deer lives. But it's not because humans are intrinsically more valuable than deer, it's because humans are just more valuable than deer period (unless they are dead, in which case the deer offers more value probably since you can eat it).

More valuable as decided by who?

I suspect you don't understand what "intrinsic" means in the context in which Cingulate is using it.

call to action posted:

gently caress your retarded allegories and gently caress your stupid rear end kids that will only ever be worthwhile to someone else as a consumer and advertising absorber

Lecture to us some more as you wear your Bangladeshi child made T-shirt about how every child deserves a good life

I don't normally see your posts, but it turns out they show up when I'm replying. You're a worthless shitposter and can go gently caress yourself.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

call to action posted:

i only post nude :smug:

90s Rememberer
Nov 30, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Hello Sailor posted:

I suspect you don't understand what "intrinsic" means in the context in which Cingulate is using it.

As decided by whomever the person is. My reason for valuing human lives has nothing to do with "intrinsic" value and everything to do with the practical value.

But yes, the problem is that I don't understand the definition of intrinsic and not that you and a bunch of other lazy thinkers can't think of a reason outside "it just is!" for why humans could be more valuable than an ant or a deer. Like hell, you can even use the word intrinsic. The question is still "why does this have intrinsic value" (which can be answered, despite your protests and stupid allegories)

90s Rememberer fucked around with this message at 00:05 on May 30, 2018

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

self unaware posted:

As decided by whomever the person is. My reason for valuing human lives has nothing to do with "intrinsic" value and everything to do with the practical value.

But yes, the problem is that I don't understand the definition of intrinsic and not that you and a bunch of other lazy thinkers can't think of a reason outside "it just is!" for why humans could be more valuable than an ant or a deer

:goonsay:

You don't know the person and don't know the deer. What practical value are you assigning to the human's life over the deer's?

e:

self unaware posted:

Like hell, you can even use the word intrinsic. The question is still "why does this have intrinsic value" (which can be answered, despite your protests and stupid allegories)

This right here indicates that you don't understand what "intrinsic" means.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Hello Sailor posted:

Cingulate's problem in this case is that the foundation of everything he's saying is pretty questionable. He specifically isn't saying, for example, that there isn't enough evidence that non-human animals are sentient or whatever. He's saying their experience is different than ours or possibly similar but lesser in some way. That's a lovely as gently caress place to start from because it's not really clear where the cut-off is or why it should exist at all.

And to be clear, I obviously agree that human lives are worth drastically more than other lives as a general rule. Even with that being the case I'm still having a really negative reaction to the arguments that Cingulate is trying to make here.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

self unaware posted:

Except you, since you're the one claiming that it exists.
Me professing humans have intrinsic value is as much the cause of humans having intrinsic value as a judge interpreting a law is the cause for the law, or as my appreciation of the taste of strawberries is the reason for strawberries tasting like strawberries.

self unaware posted:

It'd be perfectly fair of anyone to say "humans don't have intrinsic value" or "humans have the same intrinsic value as ants".

I couldn't prove them wrong there. They'd simply have professed their values.

Their terrible values.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
This is a pretty dumb derail even by this thread's standards.

Thug Lessons posted:

I think it'd be cool to talk about how France is able to accomplish this feat. Is it mainly due to nuclear electricity generation? Or a combination of that plus driving less / better public transit?

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Paradoxish posted:

Cingulate's problem in this case is that the foundation of everything he's saying is pretty questionable. He specifically isn't saying, for example, that there isn't enough evidence that non-human animals are sentient or whatever. He's saying their experience is different than ours or possibly similar but lesser in some way. That's a lovely as gently caress place to start from because it's not really clear where the cut-off is or why it should exist at all.

And to be clear, I obviously agree that human lives are worth drastically more than other lives as a general rule. Even with that being the case I'm still having a really negative reaction to the arguments that Cingulate is trying to make here.
I'm not trying to prove to you, or to convince you, or making an argument, that humans have intrinsic value. I am simply claiming they do. Now you have two options.

Option one: you agree that you, too, think humans have intrinsic value.
Option two: anything else.

Right now, some of y'all are going for option two. Not a good look imo

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Hello Sailor posted:

I don't normally see your posts, but it turns out they show up when I'm replying. You're a worthless shitposter and can go gently caress yourself.

The parents have logged on

90s Rememberer
Nov 30, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Cingulate posted:

I'm not trying to prove to you, or to convince you, or making an argument, that humans have intrinsic value. I am simply claiming they do. Now you have two options.

Option one: you agree that you, too, think humans have intrinsic value.
Option two: anything else.

Right now, some of y'all are going for option two. Not a good look imo

Option two is actually the correct one if you take "intrinsic" to mean "for no reason". Spoiler alert, it doesn't and you're just lazily avoiding answering the question of why.

You're almost as bad as the guy who tried to die on the hill of "what does 'externality' mean"

90s Rememberer fucked around with this message at 00:43 on May 30, 2018

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

self unaware posted:

Option two is actually the correct one if you take "intrinsic" to mean "for no reason". Spoiler alert, it doesn't and you're just lazily avoiding answering the question of why.

You're almost as bad as the guy who tried to die on the hill of "what does 'externality' mean"

But that's not what "intrinsic" means.

I do like that you're referencing another argument where you didn't understand the terminology being used and arbitrarily declaring the other person as bad. In both cases, the problem has been you.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

davebo posted:

I'm sure most goons are familiar with groverhaus, but one goon who lives in Ellicott city got his house flooded in 2016, the same day he was hosting a goonmeet bbq, so they started calling it floodhaus. He was finally in the process of moving but had a decent amount of stuff still there that all got destroyed in this flood. There's a nice 15 foot deep sinkhole full of water outside the door now.

poo poo. gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Rememberer
Nov 30, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Hello Sailor posted:

But that's not what "intrinsic" means.

I do like that you're referencing another argument where you didn't understand the terminology being used and arbitrarily declaring it as bad. In both cases, the problem has been you.

Yeah I don't know how to tell you any more clearly than when a guy says "according to who" he's not looking for a "well, intrinsic value means it isn't decided by an authority" he's asking what the justification for the statement is. But I guess you're hell bent on not arguing in good faith and would rather dunk on the guy than answer a harmless question. Boring rear end pedantry if you ask me.