Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Krazyface posted:

I just played four months of Pandemic Legacy S2 in one go, we kept on crushing a month in a single hour, and deciding we had one more left in us. Somehow, I'm most excited to see what other groups' boards look like, when we're done with this.

Really? Because it's kicking our rear end and some of our games are running very long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Bottom Liner posted:

Why not? Seems like from your posts it’d be right up their alley?

We are not big on negotiation games, and take that kind of games. We really like economic games and euro games. John Company isn't really a Euro, and while it's economic, it's going to have a lot of discussion.

I'm not coming to UKGE this year unfortunately.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

jivjov posted:

It's just more cards for movement. Since the game only ever uses 5 in a session there's no additional clutter

To add to this, mixing them all together is generally best since the expansion cards are a bit more interesting so that gives a good variety each game.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Yeah, John Company is nominally an economic game, but it's best to think about it as a more modern, slightly eurofied successor to Republic of Rome.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Bottom Liner posted:

Today in "Kickstarter was a mistake"

:v:

I also want to know whats this from cause it sounds interesting...

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Cerepol posted:

I also want to know whats this from cause it sounds interesting...

It was a comment on FB from a first time designer looking for advice. Just thought it was a hilarious grab-bag of words to tickle nerd fancies.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I don't understand how "Yahtzee" is a positive touchstone.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

CommonShore posted:

I don't understand how "Yahtzee" is a positive touchstone.

King of New York is quite highly thought of, for the most part.

Hell, the dice chucking in A Feast for Odin is yatzee style.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

silvergoose posted:

Yahtzee is a fine game. My mum and I played it tones when I was a young lad. It is very strategic, will you put those 5's in the 5's spot, or roll again for the full house?!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Out of all the old-bad-games I’d say Yahtzee is pretty high up on the decent scale. And of course everyone with fondness for it misses the point by over complicating it and screwing with the math.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

silvergoose posted:

If by that you mean throwing one die up to three times to get a specific number. But that's pushing very close to saying that literally any game where you roll a die and get a chance to re-roll is "Yahtzee-style".

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

John company is my favorite Yahtzee style game. Ostensibly, I’m trying to succeed to keep the company going but in actuality I’m hoping to fail with quadruple 6s so I can start the snowball towards failure.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Jedit posted:

If by that you mean throwing one die up to three times to get a specific number. But that's pushing very close to saying that literally any game where you roll a die and get a chance to re-roll is "Yahtzee-style".

I do indeed mean that, and I am saying exactly that, because in all likelihood, someone spitballing on kickstarter is probably not thinking any further than that either. :colbert:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mostly fair points mostly all around. I still wonder why anyone would put it as a selling point. I guess some people just like chucking shitloads of dice.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Apparently I just got Guns of Gettysburg. What am I in for?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I just realized Troyes actually has much of Yahtzee style parts too. The church and events are Yahtzee and nature and are v good. Heck, the meeple placement spots are all decided Yahtzee style too and you have influence for trolls and manipulation.

Pierzak posted:

Misery and a deeper appreciation of history.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Pierzak posted:

Reading the rules, trying them out, realizing you didn't really read the rules, read em again, then play it again.

It's a good game, and it's an excellent "what if" for the battle unlike most "here's what happened" versions.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Pierzak posted:

The Mount Everest of learning how to play a game. Been sitting on a teaching video for a year but I fear getting something wrong.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Pierzak posted:

I played it once with friends, 4-player, and we enjoyed it despite not knowing anything. It's tricky to learn because it has its own logic, but it's cool.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

al-azad posted:

The Mount Everest of learning how to play a game.
I have Magic Realm. :colbert:

Dancer
May 23, 2011

CommonShore posted:

I guess some people just like chucking shitloads of dice.

I mean, I'm the euro-est, most determinism-loving person in my group, and yeah, there is some distinct pleasure that comes from throwing poo poo-loads of dice. Why I like Steampunk Rally sometimes, and maybe some wargames (still dipping my toe there).

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Someone should make a hidden role game like Secret Hitler or The Resistance, but with Yahtzee.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

Rutibex posted:

Someone should make a hidden role game like Secret Hitler or The Resistance, but with Yahtzee.

Ok. The charm's worn off again.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Rutibex posted:

I think Dark Moon already beat you to the punch on this one.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Steamed hams, except it's Campaign for North Africa

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

silvergoose posted:

Steamed hams, except it's Campaign for North Africa

A-ALLIED FORCES!?
At this time of year!?
At this time of day!?
In this part of the country!?
Localized ENTIRELY within Tobruk!?

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
The best hidden roll game is Perudo

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

Looking for some 5 player game recommendations. Board game fiesta filled with board games for days and looking to add some additional games to the mix. Looking for thematic, epic style games that may take an entire day or so to play. Already bringing Cthulhu Wars and Republic of Rome. Backstabbing is a plus. Has to be available on CSI.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Archipelago using the long game rules.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Mr.Trifecta posted:

Looking for some 5 player game recommendations. Board game fiesta filled with board games for days and looking to add some additional games to the mix. Looking for thematic, epic style games that may take an entire day or so to play. Already bringing Cthulhu Wars and Republic of Rome. Backstabbing is a plus. Has to be available on CSI.

Kemet is right up your alley.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

So I feel like this is a tough question, but any recommendations for team games that are not A) party games, B)wargames (because they always fall flat with my group) or C) one-vs-many? I feel like the only ones we have are Captain Sonar, Ladies and Gentlemen, and the four-player variant of SW: Rebellion, and I'm not sure the latter two really count as team games. A friend and I were talking and we could not come up with any other examples that weren't mass-market party games/trivia games or historical wargame variants.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

MockingQuantum posted:

So I feel like this is a tough question, but any recommendations for team games that are not A) party games, B)wargames (because they always fall flat with my group) or C) one-vs-many? I feel like the only ones we have are Captain Sonar, Ladies and Gentlemen, and the four-player variant of SW: Rebellion, and I'm not sure the latter two really count as team games. A friend and I were talking and we could not come up with any other examples that weren't mass-market party games/trivia games or historical wargame variants.

Tash Kalar is good in team mode. Eclipse 2v2 works good.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

There's also partnership card games: tichu, bridge.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

MockingQuantum posted:

Not official games of course, but a lot of euros seem to work well 2v2 using having the lowest score count.

Mage Knight supports 2v2 - I kind of want to try that, but it's just so much better with 2 than 4 in general that I'm wary.

TeamPlay!

Hauki
May 11, 2010

rchandra posted:

Not official games of course, but a lot of euros seem to work well 2v2 using having the lowest score count.

Mage Knight supports 2v2 - I kind of want to try that, but it's just so much better with 2 than 4 in general that I'm wary.

TeamPlay!

I like Mage Knight quite a bit and I would still have to think long and hard before agreeing to play 2v2.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Hauki posted:

I like Mage Knight quite a bit and I would still have to think long and hard before agreeing to play 2v2.

While it could be ok asynchronously or with other games to play when it's not your turn, life is too short for games that merely could be ok.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Mr.Trifecta posted:

Twilight Imperium 4?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

MockingQuantum posted:

Emperor Magic is a great team variant. You could likely adapt it to many other kinds of card duel games:
https://mtg.gamepedia.com/Emperor

I know you can play 2 vs 2 in Mage Wars.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Mr.Trifecta posted:

Sounds like you need Battlestar Galactica. Just the base game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Card game Team Play is good 2v2, not many games do teamwork.

E: oh beat me to it