Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Typing too late at night so if these make no sense it's not my fault
Thanks for taking the time, these were really interesting reads.

quote:

Loveless - 94
mother! was my favorite of 2017 but Loveless manages to bump Phantom Thread down a spot for my runner-up from last year. It's simultaneously beautiful, meticulously composed, honest, provocative, and crushing. I'm not surprised to see some French funding money for this pic, the frank (and frankly beautiful) presentation of sexual intimacy feels like it would be pretty controversial amid Russian orthodoxy, not to mention the subversive political inserts (for reference the film takes place in 2012). Loveless feels both of a period in its commentary on contemporary parenting, life under capitalism, class/income inequality and the social expectations of the sexes, and yet also timeless and epic in that way that Russian art often accomplishes by way of considered pacing and dramatic emphasis, or lack thereof. A masterpiece of contemporary filmmaking from a director in total control of his ability.
The reveal behind the door is one of the best shots of the past few years. This is my favorite of Zvygenitsev's films, but I'm still wishing there was less of a grind to arrive at that end point, however technically accomplished the man may be. Between this movie and A Gentle Creature, I'm developing a taste to further explore contemporary Russian filmmaking, especially as it relates to the current political moment.

quote:

Lean On Pete - 85
Sort of a treat to watch a film that takes place in Portland, and depicts Portland Meadows with love while expanding that portrait into what's almost a world-fable. Without going into spoilers, this film is quite a bit more complex than the trailer lets on, and if you want an accurate depiction of poverty in 2018 then this is about as close to dead-on as you can get. Moreover, it movingly captures the process of anesthetization that occurs to some after continual bouts of loss. It's a meandering film, quiet and authentic, and may make you reevaluate your opinions about community, institution, employment, class, immigration, wealth, labor, and emotional connection.
This is a 'How could it possibly get...?' kind of film. I've seen it twice now: the first time, after *big moment*, I felt so anxious for the rest of the runtime after the rug had been so effectively pulled out from under me; the second time, the underlying dread remained, a kind of helplessness where you'd want things to change but of course they won't. It feels more ambitious than 45 Years with its symmetrical narrative structure and expansive scope without betraying the incisive character writing of Haigh's previous feature. The supporting players do such great work here (Buscemi and Sevigny are astonishingly credible), suggesting such rich backstories with minimal runtime that from another lens, Charley could easily look like a petty villain in someone else's narrative. So emotionally immersed was I that it took me until halfway through the credits to realize what song played in the final scene, to my mild amusement.

quote:

Underground - 88
Caught a restored DCP of Underground a few weeks ago and I feel like I'm still processing it, it's just so dense and insane. I imagine it definitely sinks in if you have any knowledge of the former Soviet Union, former Yugoslavia, or civil war in general. The whole thing is a rambling, carnivalesque identity crisis...a musically insane and lamenting elegy for the lost ideal of social cohesion during the 20th century, and how ostensibly good and genuine people can get caught up in the movement of the times and forego humanity and dignity by perpetuating crimes against their neighbors.
The film is absolutely madcap & relentless, but I remain skeptical of the ending, especially in light of the controversy surrounding Kusturica's political views.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Coaaab posted:

This is a 'How could it possibly get...?' kind of film. I've seen it twice now: the first time, after *big moment*, I felt so anxious for the rest of the runtime after the rug had been so effectively pulled out from under me; the second time, the underlying dread remained, a kind of helplessness where you'd want things to change but of course they won't. It feels more ambitious than 45 Years with its symmetrical narrative structure and expansive scope without betraying the incisive character writing of Haigh's previous feature. The supporting players do such great work here (Buscemi and Sevigny are astonishingly credible), suggesting such rich backstories with minimal runtime that from another lens, Charley could easily look like a petty villain in someone else's narrative. So emotionally immersed was I that it took me until halfway through the credits to realize what song played in the final scene, to my mild amusement.

Honestly, my score on that one may reflect a bit of the environment around me, and I think I would've liked the film more with less chatter going on because it's just such a quiet, contemplative film for the most part. I asked two men along my row to quiet down a bit and that helped, but right at the scene you're talking about a woman directly behind me started narrating her feelings quite vocally, "that's terrible, that's awful, how sad", like for a solid minute. I think I felt exasperated, because I'm usually the one at my theater being asked to tell customers to shut up, but simultaneously resigned because some crowds are just chatty as gently caress and people sometimes need an outlet for their feelings.

So yeah, I might've scored it higher if I'd been able to unwind a little, and most of thoughts started to drift towards structural and thematic elements instead.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Contrary to what you may think about what I've written above, I actually rated both Loveless and Lean On Pete quite similarly. I think it's cause I already knew that Zvyagintsev was capable of that level of filmmaking from flashes of his previous work, but Haigh seems to have demonstrated such significant growth as a director with this new release that I'm now even more excited about any of his future projects.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
RBG (2018)

Documentary on the life of Ruth Bader Ginsberg. Well-paced, funny at times. I can't recall the last time I saw a documentary in the theater but glad I saw this one.

B

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Tully - 4/5

Great in the same ways that Ladybird was last year. Brutally and down to earth slice of life movie with a lot of humor in it's honesty. Great acting across the board.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

American Honey - 93/100
Belle de Jour - 89/100
Love - 68/100
Wind River - 85/100
Hell or High Water - 77/100
Deadpool - decent/Marvel
Deadpool 2 - good/Marvel

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 20:30 on May 27, 2018

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Way of the Dragon (1972, Bruce Lee) [DVD] - 3/5
Game of Death (1978, Robert Clouse) [DVD] - 1.5/5
Flying Down to Rio (1933, Thornton Freeland) [DVD] - 4/5
Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2 (2017, James Gunn) [Netflix] - 3.5/5
The Decameron (1971, Pier Paolo Pasolini) [Blu-ray] - 4.5/5
The Canterbury Tales (1972, Pier Paolo Pasolini) [Blu-ray] - 4/5
Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017, Jon Watts) [Blu-ray] - 3.5/5
Thor: Ragnarok (2017, Taika Waititi) [Blu-ray] - 4.5/5
Triumph of the Will (1935, Leni Riefenstahl) [DVD] - n/a
Avengers: Infinity War (2018, Joe Russo/Anthony Russo) [theatrical] - 3.5/5
Enter the Dragon (1973, Robert Clouse) [Blu-ray] - 2.5/5
Don't Look Now (1973, Nicolas Roeg) [Blu-ray] - 4/5
Deadpool 2 (2018, David Leitch) [theatrical] - 4.5/5
All the King's Men (1949, Robert Rossen) [DVD] - 3.5/5
Que Viva Mexico (1978, Sergei Eisenstein/Grigori Aleksandrov) [DVD] - 3/5

I've now seen the key Bruce Lee films. To be honest, they're fairly middling at worst, but drat if Lee isn't magnetic every time he's on screen. Especially the fight scenes. Though, Game of Death is absolutely dire except for the actual footage of Lee in the last act.

In preparation for Avengers: Infinity War, I caught up on the Marvel films - Doctor Strange, Guardians V2, Spider-Man, and Thor: Ragnarok. Only one actually stands out as an honestly fantastic movie and that's the latest Thor. It's not just visually stunning from start to finish, it's so lively. Great dialogue and it just looks like it was a blast to make. I did think Guardians V2 had some great moments, but still dragged in spots. There's some great visuals, though, like a mass of baddies being hurled into the air or the distortions from wormholes. The latest Spider-Man was kind of weak, but with Michael Keaton really standing out as a great villain.

As for Infinity War... it's been discussed to death, but it's probably the "best" Avengers movie so far, it's still a mess of too much. But it's still entertaining and kind of odd to see a Marvel movie that had most of the audience in tears by the end (I wasn't among them).

By contrast, Deadpool 2 is an absolute blast. I loved the first one and the sequel doesn't disappoint - much. It seemed to be cut a little too close (couldn't we have a little more of Negasonic and her girlfriend?) it works where it counts. I was laughing with the audience pret tty much from start to finish, whether it's big setpieces done for humor (X-Force getting killed almost instantly had the audience howling with laughter) or just little details. But it's primarily taking a piss all over the mediocre X-Men films and somewhat uneven quality of the mainline Marvel films.

After starting with Salo, I figured any Pasolini afterwards would be easy to get through. While I still need to see Arabian Nights (as well as his 60s work), The Decameron and The Canterbury Tales are two wonderful films. Visually rich, but the fragmented narrative keeps things moving wonderfully. I particularly liked how funny parts were, especially a good majority of the latter (the vision of Hell is one of the funniest things I've seen in a film). It's also really obvious Monty Python and the Holy Grail took a lot of inspiration from these films.

I figured it was about time I finally saw Triumph of the Will all the way through. Brilliant editing, but to a non-fascist American, the endless military pageantry and blustery speeches make it kind of boring. Only with it being in context of being a sort of testament by one of the most evil forces in the world does it have any relevance outside its original intended audience. I couldn't help but think of that Lambeth Walk short that used re-edited footage from this at times, though. (I'm hoping to watch Riefenstahl's Olympia soon since I'd like to see her rather effective technique used on less nefarious subject matter).

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Egbert Souse posted:

I figured it was about time I finally saw Triumph of the Will all the way through. Brilliant editing, but to a non-fascist American, the endless military pageantry and blustery speeches make it kind of boring. Only with it being in context of being a sort of testament by one of the most evil forces in the world does it have any relevance outside its original intended audience. I couldn't help but think of that Lambeth Walk short that used re-edited footage from this at times, though. (I'm hoping to watch Riefenstahl's Olympia soon since I'd like to see her rather effective technique used on less nefarious subject matter).

She never stopped being a fascist, but the way she repackaged herself for capitalist suitors in the post-war period is certainly interesting.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

She never stopped being a fascist, but the way she repackaged herself for capitalist suitors in the post-war period is certainly interesting.

I always think it's creepy that she successfully pulled a Jane Goodall.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I always think it's creepy that she successfully pulled a Jane Goodall.

Susan Sontag wrote an amazing essay where she called that poo poo out for what it was

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Deadpool 2 - more of everything from the first, good and bad. More fleshed out plot and humor (good), more rounded out character development (bad). Fun but forgettable just like the first.

Solo - Better than expected but goddamn I didn't realize they were doing more than one of these and it really really shouldn't be more than one.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Deadpool 2 had 90% less Morena Bacarrin, which is a national tragedy.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

But it had more Brianna Hildebrand and she's awesome

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I'd say it had less of her, too, actually

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

Hair Elf
First Reformed (2018) - B+

If you're a fan of A24, I think you'll love this one. The 3rd act is batshit insane. I don't even want to go into the plot because I worry I'll give away too much. All the actors give great performances, the music is haunting and fits in really well, and the cinematography is pretty good (although it could have been a lot better, some lost potential here).

Overall, a great captivating story that keeps you guessing till the very end.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

I'd say it had less of her, too, actually

Yeah, I think the movie had about sixty seconds of her, and even less of Negasonic's girlfriend.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Solace - Holy poo poo this movie is terrible and stupid. Anthony Hopkins is hired by the FBI to help them catch a serial killer. Hopkins has psychic powers, unfortunately his super powers don't help the case much because the serial killer is a psychic as well.. STUPID. 2/5

Murder On The Orient Express 2017 - Love me some murder mysteries and I love Agatha Christie's novels. A lot of big names in this and the twist is ok nothing mind blowing. Feels like a movie from the 60s-70s. Much slower paced and mostly just dialogue. 3.5/5

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Ulio posted:

Solace - Holy poo poo this movie is terrible and stupid. Anthony Hopkins is hired by the FBI to help them catch a serial killer. Hopkins has psychic powers, unfortunately his super powers don't help the case much because the serial killer is a psychic as well.. STUPID. 2/5

The script for this movie was originally a sequel to SE7EN with Morgan Freeman getting the psychic powers

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

GonSmithe posted:

The script for this movie was originally a sequel to SE7EN with Morgan Freeman getting the psychic powers

Ahh don't know what to think about that. What's weirder Se7en getting a sequel or Morgan Freeman getting psychic powers..

I like Anthony Hopkins as a creepy old dude but he doesn't fit the role in this movie. He also lets his accent slip ALOT. Maybe they didn't give a gently caress to re shoot the scenes.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Solo is good. It is an adventure movie that serves as a tour guide to a lot of the expanded galaxy. It isn't a hero's journey or origin story, exactly. It reminds me of Almost Famous in that the enjoyment is going on the road with the band.

Punch Drunk Drewsky
Jul 22, 2008

No one can stop the movies.
Been a while.

Tried to quit smoking, depression hit back hard, was useless for a spell. While I was ramping my writing back up a stray I befriended and let stay inside during storms had kittens. So now I have six kittens sharing my living space

Taking care and cleaning up after them has been a several hour a day constant weight. Only recently had the time + energy to get back into a daily writing cycle.

Top picks include Annihilation, Sorcerer, and The Last of the Mohicans. Full reviews at the links. Scale is Like/Indifferent/Dislike

Like:
Battle of the Sexes
The Messenger
Annihilation (special note: it is unlikely any film in 2018 will top Annihilation for me)
Beyond the Valley of the Dolls
Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
Pass Over
Proud Mary
A Quiet Place
The Last of the Mohicans
Hari Kondabolu: Warn Your Relatives
Coco
Sorcerer
L'Atalante

Indifferent:
Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey
Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle

Dislike:
The Disaster Artist

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Revenge is a pretty cool, well, revenge film, inspired by the 80s and 90s version of this genre. It's gory to the point that it's sometimes difficult to watch, but it's worth seeing because it's really well directed and while it isn't subtle about the ways that it's working off the male gaze theory, it's fun to see how that's played with.

Treasure of the Four Crowns really really drags at parts, but has some really cool characters that were interesting (even if a lot of what happened around them wasn't), so I get why this is kind of a cult classic and why people see this.

Perils of Gwendoline in the land of Yik Yak is a bit more difficult to recommend, the title is probably the best part of the film, but it is weird enough that it's not a waste of time if you're a bad movie watcher.

Firewalker should be seen for the dripping romance between Chuck Norris and Lou Gosett Jr and their embrace of a poly relationship as far back as 1986.

The negativity surrounding Solo is a bit surprising to me, since to me it felt deliberately safe and inoffensive, but I did enjoy it overall and thought it was a pretty decent heist flick, and is worth seeing if you like those.

Cannibal Women in the Avacado Jungle of Death is pretty legitimately good, I enjoyed and laughed through (and not just at) almost the whole thing. The guy who presents these movies to us was a bit doubtful of the fact that this is a parody, but it absolutely is--not of Raiders--but of Raiders of the Lost Arc rip off movie. It does a great job of sending up all their common themes, so you may need to see a few of them before seeing this one, but it so is worth seeing for that reason. You could also see it to see Bill Maher acting (being carried by three great women actresses).

Octaman is a bit rough, but the Monster is so silly (and kind of adorable in a way) that ifyour'e a bad movie watcher this is watchable. Not sure this one is for people who actually like good movies though because the last 25% drags like crazy.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Pacific Rim: Uprising 3/10

Granted, the first one wasn’t high art, but at least the robot fights were cool. This one was just downright boring. Even the giant robot fights were boring.

It was also really heavy-handed in terms of dialogue and plot, so we were constantly commenting ‘oh yeah X is totally going to happen by the end’, and we were almost 100% right on all accounts. ‘Oh, they’re gonna be a team by the end’ ‘oh, that guy said ‘I hope I have that many Jaegers at my funeral when I die’, he’s gonna die’, ‘he tried solo-piloting?, he’s gonna try to again’.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Hereditary - 87/100
La La Land - 85/100
Django: Unchained - 80/100

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

The Terminator (1984): A

I was born the same year as this movie's release, but somehow I had never seen it. It was fairly familiar, though, because I had gotten some of the disparate plot points from cultural osmosis. Now I understand some of the references from Conker's Bad Fur Day (especially one of the boss fights).

Great movie. It reminded me a lot of Westworld (the original '70s movie; not the new series). I actually saw the twist at the end coming, but it was cool to see future events coming together. The writing is tight; the plot gives you a minute or two to catch your breath before getting right back into the action, and I like that initially, you're not sure whether Kyle is an enemy or a friend.

Is the sequel worth watching?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jun 12, 2018

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

One of the silliest questions in history. Watch T2 asap, then never see anything else related to the franchise

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

got any sevens posted:

One of the silliest questions in history. Watch T2 asap, then never see anything else related to the franchise

Recently watched T1 with a friend who had never seen any of the series. At the end she asked, "wouldn't Sarah Connor be kinda hosed up from having so much death and violence suddenly shoved into her life?"

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
We all wish we could've gone in to t2 blind without the super spoliery trailers.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

This is Cinerama (1952, Merian C. Cooper/Gunther von Fritsch/others) [Remastered Blu-ray] - 3/5
Arabian Nights (1974, Pier Paolo Pasolini) [Blu-ray] - 3/5
Heavy Metal (1981, Gerald Potterton) [DVD] - 4/5
Gentleman's Agreement (1947, Elia Kazan) [DVD] - 2/5
Cinerama Holiday (1955, Philippe De Lacy/Robert Bendick) [Blu-ray] - 3.5/5

The Great Ziegfeld (1936, Norman Z. Leonard) [DVD] - 2.5/5
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974, Tobe Hooper) [Remastered Blu-ray] - 4/5
Cinerama South Seas Adventure (1958, various) [Blu-ray] - 3.5/5
Windjammer (1958, Bill Colleran/Louis De Rochemont III) [Remastered Blu-ray] - 3/5

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

falz posted:

We all wish we could've gone in to t2 blind without the super spoliery trailers.

I did, but yeah, the studios screwed the pooch on that surprise.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

Hair Elf
Ocean's 8 (2018) - C

I had a lot of problems with this movie, and I kept comparing it to Ocean's 11 which this movie is a reboot/sequel of. O8 suffered from a lack of tension that you'd expect in a heist film, poor acting (and quite frankly questionable casting choices), and a plot twist that was clever but badly executed. O11 had class, good comedy, and memorable camerawork. There was good tension at certain points, and it executed their heist that wasn't confusing (although there were flaws that Soderbergh has admitted to). Overall, O8 fails to get to that level. Anne Hathaway is fine as hell in this movie though.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Yeah it's real good. Watch it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

It's in the trio of "sequels to good films that end up being the best action films of all time"

Terminator 2
Aliens
Mad Max: Fury Road

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Will do. The best part is that I'm coming into the sequel almost completely unspoiled. I know almost nothing about the movie except that it happens years after the first and that Schwarzenegger returns (presumably as a Terminator). And there's apparently something about destroying the headquarters of the company that made cyborgs or something (I accidentally read something about it on imdb while reading trivia about the original Terminator).

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Will do. The best part is that I'm coming into the sequel almost completely unspoiled. I know almost nothing about the movie except that it happens years after the first and that Schwarzenegger returns (presumably as a Terminator). And there's apparently something about destroying the headquarters of the company that made cyborgs or something (I accidentally read something about it on imdb while reading trivia about the original Terminator).

Man I'm jealous.
Now you need to turn off the internet until you've seen it unspoilered.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Bottom Liner posted:

It's in the trio of "sequels to good films that end up being the best action films of all time"

Terminator 2
Aliens
Mad Max: Fury Road

You have triggered me by not saying Road Warrior

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Will do. The best part is that I'm coming into the sequel almost completely unspoiled.

Oh, you lucky duck. You’re gonna lose your mind.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Kull the Conqueror posted:

You have triggered me by not saying Road Warrior

great too, but FR is a masterpiece and basically the movie he wanted to be able to make all along IMO.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Bottom Liner posted:

great too, but FR is a masterpiece and basically the movie he wanted to be able to make all along IMO.

I would put Road Warrior as a hair better than Fury Road, but only just. It being a direct sequel to Mad Max and and being almost plausible win out for me. Fury Road is a little too into fairy tale territory for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

The action in Mad Max 2 is insane. That one shot of the cyclist flying straight at the camera might be the craziest stunt I've seen outside of a martial arts film.