Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

boner confessor posted:

that and not all medicines or substances are metabolized. your piss contains traces of whatever it is you take. iirc this is a problem with antidepressants as well, there's so many people taking SSRIs that it just ends up in the waste stream and eventually, the ocean. you can basically piss test entire cities at once

https://www.popsci.com/scitech/article/2008-02/your-sewer-drugs

That's an unbelievably massive problem overall. There are species of fish that are going to go extinct because birth control hormones are making them all grow up female. All the chemicals we just dump in the water are messing up everything.

But we can't fix it because then taxes might go up slightly and the rich just can't afford that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Rex-Goliath posted:

So I was digging around for that Jordan Peterson article in the NYT and stumbled onto his own site where he rebukes it: https://jordanbpeterson.com/media/on-the-new-york-times-and-enforced-monogamy/

This poo poo is seriously so incredibly cowardly and lazy. He's effectively not saying anything fundamentally different from what he's saying in the NYT article but by shifting around some of the definitions he's sitting back and :smug:ing out

Jordan Peterson is basically the platonic form of the guy who says "excuse me I'm an ephebophile not a pedophile" and doesn't realize that the thing he's claiming actually makes him a worse person than what people pointed out in the first place.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

fishmech posted:

Jordan Peterson is basically the platonic form of the guy who says "excuse me I'm an ephebophile not a pedophile" and doesn't realize that the thing he's claiming actually makes him a worse person than what people pointed out in the first place.
Hmmm that behavior sounds really familiar

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

BiggerBoat posted:

What? Assuming it's melded onto your car like you say, can't you just cover it up or put, like, a Ghostbusters slash over it?

i was thinking about buying a dril sticker and putting that over it

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

update on Ireland

https://twitter.com/Samfr/status/1000123994715185157?s=20

https://twitter.com/irishexaminer/status/1000123555131117570

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

A strange turn of events.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Ague Proof posted:

A strange turn of events.

The Internet makes you stupid­™

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's kinda sad how bad he is at this. he retweeted john lott yesterday lmao.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/Sheilag41126/status/1000227403862458369?s=20

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Did twitter bots somehow become relevant when I wasn't looking?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

landgrabber posted:

i was thinking about buying a dril sticker and putting that over it

I'm a little confused because I work in vehicle graphics and signs and you CAN get them off usually.

Also, "try and meme". Christ.

Ok, lady. Which part(s)? The part about the militia, the thing with freedom of speech...freedom of assembly? HTF is a high school kid who simply wants to not be shot to death at school such a threat to these insufferable pussies?

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 15:05 on May 26, 2018

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

High school students have a right to get shot to death and it's sick that liberals are trying to take that right away

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
Cut them some slack, it's almost dinner time in St. Petersburg and they haven't eaten all day.

Civil Lies
Sep 3, 2008
Is this guy on Jesse Watters' show really making the argument that waterboarding isn't torture because he had some of his bros pour water over his face?

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Watters should have Hannity on. He got waterboarded to prove it wasn't tor... oh wait.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the argument makes no sense! if it's not torture why do it.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

the argument makes no sense! if it's not torture why do it.

"Enhanced interrogation."

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Because you don't coddle terrorists and all we're doing is pouring a little water on them to make them uncomfortable! See, let me do it to show you gSIAhafapogfhsdpo Ok it's torture.
-Paraphrasing Mancow

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Sometimes, it's the little things:
https://twitter.com/hels/status/1000893036514234369

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
https://twitter.com/foxnewsdesk/status/1000849900047872000
https://twitter.com/DieRobinsonDie/status/1000850292475351046
https://twitter.com/foxnews/status/1000905997391618049
https://twitter.com/DieRobinsonDie/status/1000950526136258561

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I still think it's terrifying how much of this nonsensical rhetoric and propaganda has genuinely taken hold, permeated the modern discourse and how quickly it's done so. I think the subjugation of the media and poo poo like "fake news" as a term being something that largely is associated with mainstream media outlets is one of the biggest existential threats our society faces behind, perhaps, climate change. But even that ties in since climate change denial has been one of RWM's main accomplishments.

We've reached the point where these assholes, including the president, just outright and blatantly spew easily disproven lies right to our face in ways that are EASILY debunked and simply do nothing more than just make poo poo up. A little less than half the country thinks this is fine and completely reasonable.

I'm reading "The Oral History of the Daily Show" right now and one of the best things they did, at their peak, was learning how to debunk RWM pundits and talking points with nothing more than recordings of these dumb dumbs owning themselves and blatantly contradicting themselves, often over the span of a few days or weeks.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Get em! Get all the em!

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

BiggerBoat posted:

I still think it's terrifying how much of this nonsensical rhetoric and propaganda has genuinely taken hold, permeated the modern discourse and how quickly it's done so. I think the subjugation of the media and poo poo like "fake news" as a term being something that largely is associated with mainstream media outlets is one of the biggest existential threats our society faces behind, perhaps, climate change. But even that ties in since climate change denial has been one of RWM's main accomplishments.

We've reached the point where these assholes, including the president, just outright and blatantly spew easily disproven lies right to our face in ways that are EASILY debunked and simply do nothing more than just make poo poo up. A little less than half the country thinks this is fine and completely reasonable.

I'm reading "The Oral History of the Daily Show" right now and one of the best things they did, at their peak, was learning how to debunk RWM pundits and talking points with nothing more than recordings of these dumb dumbs owning themselves and blatantly contradicting themselves, often over the span of a few days or weeks.

That phenomenon is encapsulated perfectly by tweets about Bowe Berghdal, both when that meanie Obama left one of our heroes in the hands of the Taliban and again when that Muslim terrorist Obama made a deal to bring the traitor Berghdal home.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

I still think it's terrifying how much of this nonsensical rhetoric and propaganda has genuinely taken hold, permeated the modern discourse and how quickly it's done so. I think the subjugation of the media and poo poo like "fake news" as a term being something that largely is associated with mainstream media outlets is one of the biggest existential threats our society faces behind, perhaps, climate change.
I don't know about quickly, the main difference is that the POTUS is blasting it out, but the whole "fake news" thing is just a rephrasing of the "liberal bias mainstream media" idea that's existed for a long time, and Fox News' "Fair and Balanced" tagline was explicitly to affirm that.

Yeah, there's a difference between "biased" and "fake," but in practice they mean the same thing, that the "mainstream media" (which the most-viewed cable news network totally isn't, you see...) isn't credible.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

OneEightHundred posted:

I don't know about quickly, the main difference is that the POTUS is blasting it out, but the whole "fake news" thing is just a rephrasing of the "liberal bias mainstream media" idea that's existed for a long time, and Fox News' "Fair and Balanced" tagline was explicitly to affirm that.

Yeah, there's a difference between "biased" and "fake," but in practice they mean the same thing, that the "mainstream media" (which the most-viewed cable news network totally isn't, you see...) isn't credible.

Biased is one thing and "Fake" is another. It's pure, unadulterated propaganda and outright hate fot the first amendment and it's gaining some rather troubling steam. Maybe you're right and it hasn't been rapid but it seems rather rapid to me. I gave teh American public more credit than this.

For some loving reason.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

BiggerBoat posted:

Biased is one thing and "Fake" is another. It's pure, unadulterated propaganda and outright hate fot the first amendment and it's gaining some rather troubling steam. Maybe you're right and it hasn't been rapid but it seems rather rapid to me. I gave teh American public more credit than this.

For some loving reason.

Do you think that with Ailes gone, Limbaugh aging, Hannity bound his fate entirely to Trump and the lynch pin of their entire movement being in the current Presidency mean that things can stay this way?

I can't predict how things will go but I have to wonder, considering how much of GOP scandal is projection they go forward in a post Trump world, and there will be one soon, he's too old and insane.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

BiggerBoat posted:

Biased is one thing and "Fake" is another. It's pure, unadulterated propaganda and outright hate fot the first amendment and it's gaining some rather troubling steam. Maybe you're right and it hasn't been rapid but it seems rather rapid to me. I gave the American public more credit than this.

For some loving reason.

It does follow logically that if you can get away with frivolously calling your opponents biased without proof, then you should be able to get away with "fake," too. The former paves the way for the latter.

And it's not like it's just from the right, although they're the most visible. Liberalism (the real deal, not what Rush thinks it is) hasn't been very popular in the US since the 60s, at least.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

RuanGacho posted:

Do you think that with Ailes gone, Limbaugh aging, Hannity bound his fate entirely to Trump and the lynch pin of their entire movement being in the current Presidency mean that things can stay this way?

I can't predict how things will go but I have to wonder, considering how much of GOP scandal is projection they go forward in a post Trump world, and there will be one soon, he's too old and insane.

It depends on what the attitude of the party is after everything blows up. I imagine there are a lot of republication staffers who right now are really, really pissed at the sway the TV talking heads have over some of their party leaders. And when the time comes to rehabilitate the party making scapegoats of some belligerent rear end in a top hat pundits will seem the far easier fix than any real substantive steps towards cleaning house.

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 22:02 on May 28, 2018

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

For some loving reason.
I know that there's a big REAL difference between the two, but what "bias" has been used to mean is not just that they have an unconscious slant that isn't giving a complete picture of things, but that the mainstream media has a liberal agenda and intentionally spins stories to further their ideological agenda, that they're basically liberal propaganda organs.

The idea that mainstream outlets are completely making up sources and stories is a step beyond that, but the only way that sort of claim has any traction is because of the groundwork already laid out to completely discredit them.

If you want an obvious example of how tightly-related the two are, then just look at the constant parroting of "the mainstream media won't talk about X."

RuanGacho posted:

Yes. They're not actually tied to Trump's fate, their entire careers are built on being able to metamorphose into whatever the current fashionable right-wing political position is, and the entire reactionary media formula is that they don't have to actually stand for anything, they just need to find a way to get mad at whatever liberals are up to.

Like I've said before, if Trump turns radioactive, then they'll just do what they've always done: Act like they never really supported him. If anyone is ever called out on it, their response will be "well I've been fair, I was critical of Trump once or twice, and Shep Smith did that thing once," and that proves that they're independent and don't actually slob his knob 100% of the time (just 99% of the time).

Hannity, Limbaugh, and Ailes are also beside the point. The individual people are mostly replaceable for as long as the audience continues to exist. It didn't end with Bill O'Reilly and Glenn Beck leaving FNC, we just got Tucker Carlson instead.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 22:52 on May 28, 2018

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I adore Fox having near daily handwringing stories about "Oh gee Dems aren't you going TOO left????" Fox is now comparing it directly to the tea party by just playing horrible quotes like the 'legitimate rape' thing and saying "WHAT IF THAT HAPPENS FOR THE DEMS" but not, ya know, actually having any horrible quotes to show for the left.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

OneEightHundred posted:

If you want an obvious example of how tightly-related the two are, then just look at the constant parroting of "the mainstream media won't talk about X."

Remember when Hannity tweeted CBS News their own story to ask them why they weren't reporting on something?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

RuanGacho posted:

I think there are plenty of people right behind them waiting to fill that vacuum, yes. There's money in it, plain and simple, and monied interests control the discourse right now to an incredible degree. One only has to look only at media and telecom consolidation coupled with growing income inequality to see how terrible that is. I think we're in big loving trouble to be honest.

Rush, Sean, O'Reilly and the rise of FOX has normalized this poo poo. Roughly 1/3 of the country believes in a Deep State and thinks the FBI are far left liberals who are in on it and staging a soft coupe. They also care more about owning guns than they do public education, healthcare, the environment and civil rights. They hate science and think public education and higher learning are indoctrination centers.

Trump's approval rating right now is around 40% and he is, by far, the most demonstrably terrible President of my lifetime. That means 2 out of every five people you might meet think that this is the correct track for this nation - so, fascism.

It's loving terrifying to me.

Keeshhound posted:

And it's not like it's just from the right, although they're the most visible.

No, it's almost entirely from the right. These people do not believe in science or that gay people are human beings with rights.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 01:15 on May 29, 2018

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

People like Shapiro, Lahren, and diaper guy will take up the mantle when the current ones fall.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/classiclib3ral/status/1001074416783151104

Did Matt have a stroke or something?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

OneEightHundred posted:

I know that there's a big REAL difference between the two, but what "bias" has been used to mean is not just that they have an unconscious slant that isn't giving a complete picture of things, but that the mainstream media has a liberal agenda and intentionally spins stories to further their ideological agenda, that they're basically liberal propaganda organs.

The idea that mainstream outlets are completely making up sources and stories is a step beyond that, but the only way that sort of claim has any traction is because of the groundwork already laid out to completely discredit them.

Yes. They're not actually tied to Trump's fate, their entire careers are built on being able to metamorphose into whatever the current fashionable right-wing political position is, and the entire reactionary media formula is that they don't have to actually stand for anything, they just need to find a way to get mad at whatever liberals are up to.

Like I've said before, if Trump turns radioactive, then they'll just do what they've always done: Act like they never really supported him. If anyone is ever called out on it, their response will be "well I've been fair, I was critical of Trump once or twice, and Shep Smith did that thing once," and that proves that they're independent and don't actually slob his knob 100% of the time (just 99% of the time).

It's worse than this though.

If Trump goes down, gets impeached, or the economy craters, it's proof to these people of the power of a conspiratorial Deep State that operated in conjunction with everyone who is not FOX NEWS, Alex jones, or Breitbart. His voters are convinced he won the popular vote.

At this point, someone could release a video of Trump and Russian operatives that would rival the ABSCAM video and 30 or 40 percent of the nation would claim it was fake. That's what I meant earlier about "bias" versus "fake". I think it's a big and significant leap. No suprise that a job (journalism) whose job it is to be informed on issues, facts and real things that matter tends to wind up being democrat or left leaning.

I mean it's easy to chuckle and call it insane (which it is), but how many of you guys here actually ever LISTEN to this poo poo? Conservative media has convinced their listeners that the loving FBI and CIA are far left leaning democrats. Let that loving sink in.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Less Fat Luke posted:

Hmmm that behavior sounds really familiar

lock Jordan Peterson in a room with fishmech

and throw away the key, because you have just created Hell

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

GreyjoyBastard posted:

lock Jordan Peterson in a room with fishmech

and throw away the key, because you have just created Hell

If I were locked in a room with Fishmech and Jordan Peterson and I had a gun with only one bullet, I’d shoot myself

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

BiggerBoat posted:

I mean it's easy to chuckle and call it insane (which it is), but how many of you guys here actually ever LISTEN to this poo poo? Conservative media has convinced their listeners that the loving FBI and CIA are far left leaning democrats. Let that loving sink in.

I think how you view the current moment comes down to how long your memory is or how informed you are about prior administrations. The president demonizing the press got into full swing with Nixon, but had been going for a while among the Buckleyites. The president demonizing government itself got into full swing under Reagan, but also had been going for a while in the RWM sphere long before then.

You should do some reading about the Reagan administration scandals, how they were covered, and what impact that coverage had on Reaganites. Reagan was a lot less popular than the modern hagiographic portraits paint him, but he still had support even while the media was thrashing him.

You're not wrong that America is on a slope headed toward fascism, but that's not really something new. We've been here for decades. We just had a lull due to Bush being a Bush and Obama being a Democrat. GOP gonna GOP.

The one thing that is kind of new and frightening is how uninterested a lot of Democratic leadership is in trying to regain the low/middle class labor voters they've completely given up on or have ceded to the Republicans. The fact that they have to be dragged kicking and screaming toward sane policy like $15 min. wage or medicare for all means that if you're a voter who has a hankering for populist messaging then you've really only one choice.

They've also completely ceded the religious vote they used to get under Carter. There are moral and faith-based arguments to be made that could convince some voters (probably not evangelicals, still though, lol) that the Democrats just completely refuse to make on a national level because it's somehow seen as inappropriate. To voters, this ends up looking like the GOP are the only ones defending real principles (even if those principles are terrible).

ErIog fucked around with this message at 02:29 on May 29, 2018

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Pirate Radar posted:

If I were locked in a room with Fishmech and Jordan Peterson and I had a gun with only one bullet, I’d shoot myself

But what if...

now work with me here...

fishmech IS Jordan Peterson?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I mean I assume Fishmech has Peterson handled and I really don’t want to be around to see whatever he does, like some kind of Hellraiser or Event Horizon poo poo