Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I never saw Death Wish but I don't believe in vigilante justice if that's what you mean. It's why I said I'd call the cops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Goons at a mass shooting going “no no don’t call 911, what can the police do”

Police as is are pretty lovely but a police force as a civil service is a good cool thing.

There are definitely times when they shouldn’t be called, especially when non-white people are involved, but uh

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 16:35 on May 28, 2018

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

yeah I eat rear end posted:

How else are you going to even have a chance at getting your stuff/car back? Especially if they steal the car, you want the police to know as soon as possible so they can look for it and arrest the guy.

That's not what cops do

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
I enjoy living in Finland where there are few guns except hunting rifles and shotguns. I'm 6'4'' and know I can stare someone down if I have to, or do more if forced. Please note, I do not do that for fun, but I know I can. In America, you will be shot. Does not seem like a country I would wanna live in.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Guy Goodbody posted:

That's not what cops do

sorry, forgot their job description is 100% "shoot unarmed people in the face". I also forgot that they have never recovered stolen vehicles or arrested people for having a stolen car.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Mu Zeta posted:

What other course do i have? I'm not going to take a bat and break their legs. Knowing this city, I would probably go to jail for trying to prevent my car from being stolen.
If someone is taking your property and you respond by breaking their legs with a bat, you should go to jail.

How else are you going to even have a chance at getting your stuff/car back? Especially if they steal the car, you want the police to know as soon as possible so they can look for it and arrest the guy.
If they're taking the car then there's a chance you'll get it back by calling the police. But if you catch them in the act then they're probably not going to just calmly continue to try to steal your car. And most of the time they'll only be taking whatever's in the car anyway, which you will never get back no matter what you do. Your best hope is that you scare them off and they run away without taking anything.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

doverhog posted:

I enjoy living in Finland where there are few guns except hunting rifles and shotguns. I'm 6'4'' and know I can stare someone down if I have to, or do more if forced. Please note, I do not do that for fun, but I know I can. In America, you will be shot. Does not seem like a country I would wanna live in.

Hi it's a yuuuge country. I don't know anyone that owns a gun, never seen a gun outside of the holsters on a cop, and I've never seen a retail store that sells guns.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Guy Goodbody please post the location, make, and model of your car and leave the keys in there. Make sure the doors are unlocked.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Tiggum posted:

If someone is taking your property and you respond by breaking their legs with a bat, you should go to jail.

What about if they are trying to carjack you while you're driving?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Tiggum posted:

If they're taking the car then there's a chance you'll get it back by calling the police. But if you catch them in the act then they're probably not going to just calmly continue to try to steal your car. And most of the time they'll only be taking whatever's in the car anyway, which you will never get back no matter what you do. Your best hope is that you scare them off and they run away without taking anything.

Fine, but you should still call the police even if you scare them off. It might not do anything especially if it's dark/you don't get a good look at the guy, but there's a non-zero chance that them being aware of someone going around trying to steal stuff in the area will lead to them finding them before they succeed in stealing something. If the person whose car he steals next found out you knew about it and didn't notify the police I don't think they'll react like "oh, well, that was a reasonable thing to do".

I don't want to turn this into an endless "what if"-fest, but do you apply this attitude to all crimes you interrupt? Like say you see an attempted rape in progress and manage to scare the guy off. Still no police?

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 16:42 on May 28, 2018

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I've had stuff stolen out of my car (back when I had a car) before.

You will never, ever get that stuff back no matter what.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

What about if they are trying to carjack you while you're driving?

I don't want to turn this into an endless "what if"-fest, but do you apply this attitude to all crimes you interrupt? Like say you see an attempted rape in progress and manage to scare the guy off. Still no police?
Assault is not the same thing as theft. You should not react in the same way to an attempt to cause harm to someone as you do to someone takings things that don't belong to them.

But to be honest, I don't really think that calling the police in either of those scenarios is actually likely to be helpful. It might be, and it's possibly worth trying depending on the specifics, but even in the best case scenario (given that a carjacking or rape is occurring) the chances of the police actually doing anything useful aren't great.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

This is what I picture when thinking about America.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBUUx0jUKxc

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

That's what I picture when thinking about the last page.

Tiggum posted:

Assault is not the same thing as theft. You should not react in the same way to an attempt to cause harm to someone as you do to someone takings things that don't belong to them.

But to be honest, I don't really think that calling the police in either of those scenarios is actually likely to be helpful. It might be, and it's possibly worth trying depending on the specifics, but even in the best case scenario (given that a carjacking or rape is occurring) the chances of the police actually doing anything useful aren't great.

The point isn't whether calling them is likely to "do" anything. If there's even a tiny chance your report could lead to a criminal committing non-minor crimes being found and arrested, you should do it. Like yeah don't call the cops if you witness some guy smoking pot somewhere, but I just can't picture not reporting something serious that can seriously hurt someone (either physically or financially).

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fine, but you should still call the police even if you scare them off. It might not do anything especially if it's dark/you don't get a good look at the guy, but there's a non-zero chance that them being aware of someone going around trying to steal stuff in the area will lead to them finding them before they succeed in stealing something. If the person whose car he steals next found out you knew about it and didn't notify the police I don't think they'll react like "oh, well, that was a reasonable thing to do".

cops aren't your friends

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBUUx0jUKxc

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

is this going to be like the "don't talk to the police" video that goons always rush to post without even checking to see if 20 other people already posted it?

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
The police are the white liberal version of the "good guy with a gun." Their purpose is to alleviate the manufactured fears of the middle class and give them a sense of empowerment (both personally and over other people).

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Tiggum posted:

Reporting crimes is helpful in that it gives them a fuller picture of what's going on in the city. Perhaps they can increase patrols in problem areas. I mean probably nothing will happen but it's better than literally doing nothing.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Motherfuck the po-po's gently caress the judge and ceo's gently caress the da and po's gently caress the family of the victim Witness that's snitchin rear end hoes nigga

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The point isn't whether calling them is likely to "do" anything. If there's even a tiny chance your report could lead to a criminal committing non-minor crimes being found and arrested, you should do it. Like yeah don't call the cops if you witness some guy smoking pot somewhere, but I just can't picture not reporting something serious that can seriously hurt someone (either physically or financially).
The potential for good can quite easily be outweighed by the potential for harm, even if the harm is only wasting time and effort. If I see someone stealing or trying to steal something, I'm not going to metaphorically throw good money after bad by calling the police and hanging around to give them a useless statement about whatever inaccurate garbage I think I saw that will lead to absolutely nothing happening.

Mu Zeta posted:

I mean probably nothing will happen but it's better than literally doing nothing.
No it isn't. Spending time and effort on a fruitless endeavour is absolutely worse than doing nothing.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If you don't report a problem then nobody will know the problem exists so nothing will be done to try to prevent it in the future.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

I'd tell him to stop doing that.

You just assumed the gender of the perpetrator

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Caufman posted:

You just assumed the gender of the perpetrator

men are more likely to commit crimes than women

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I thought you might get defensive about that.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Goons at a mass shooting going “no no don’t call 911, what can the police do”

Police as is are pretty lovely but a police force as a civil service is a good cool thing.

There are definitely times when they shouldn’t be called, especially when non-white people are involved, but uh

Has your white liberal guilt really degenerated to the point you think laws shouldn't be enforced when it comes to minority groups?

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
people cant illegally acquire automatic weapons thats illegal

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

oldpainless posted:

Motherfuck the po-po's gently caress the judge and ceo's gently caress the da and po's gently caress the family of the victim Witness that's snitchin rear end hoes nigga

More like oldwrongless

Implying this is the correct opinion

Edit:

Mu Zeta posted:

If you don't report a problem then nobody will know the problem exists so nothing will be done to try to prevent it in the future.

Good to know you think property rights are far more important than fighting a genocidal police state

MizPiz has a new favorite as of 18:57 on May 28, 2018

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Canemacar posted:

Has your white liberal guilt really degenerated to the point you think laws shouldn't be enforced when it comes to minority groups?

crime is a social construct

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

spit on my clit posted:

crime is a social construct

The real social construct was the friends we made along the way.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
having friends distracts you from your work. if you are not working you are stealing resources from the state. time is a resource. go to gulag

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

MizPiz posted:

Good to know you think property rights are far more important than fighting a genocidal police state

:jerkbag:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

MizPiz posted:

Let me know where you live so I can take some of your possessions off your hands, I promise to use it to fight the fascists comrade, you are obligated to let me have it.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
All of you people talking about police are skirting around the Granos issue.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

NonzeroCircle posted:

All of you people talking about police are skirting around the Granos issue.

Granos is a social construct.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Mu Zeta posted:

How so? It's exactly his gimmick.

Wolverine's gimmick is that he heals/can't die. "The adamantium is killing him" is the opposite of that.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Canemacar posted:

It’s more that police almost always crack down hard on (accused) minority offenders, especially in “bad” neighborhoods, up to and including murder, in situations where Aidan McKenzie from the good part of town would get a stern “don’t do it again son, don’t you want to go to college?”

Also gently caress right off with your “white liberal guilt” trash because that outs you as either a troll or a bigot. I’m a gay jew whose first language was french and grew up in rural Texas. I can’t pretend to say I know how any other minority feels but I’m not some bougie liberal preaching down at you.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

What's your annual income?

*it's a joke don't answer that

**unless you want to i guess :shrug:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

doverhog posted:

What's your annual income?

*it's a joke don't answer that

**unless you want to i guess :shrug:

less than 20k :seriouslyfuckthatguy:

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I can't imagine how stupid you'd have to be to think that being opposed to cops means you love crime. Like, that's child brain poo poo, where cops are the good guys chasing masked robbers in striped shirts carrying giant sacks with dollar signs on them. In real life cops brutalize the poor and people of color in order to uphold the status quo.

Like, I remember when bodycams were introduced, and the rationale was that they'd lead to badd cops being punished and regular cops not doing bad poo poo. But the cops don't get punished. So when a body cam video comes out of a cop murdering an innocent person it's the same loving thing as those ISIS execution videos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Let me know where you live so I can take some of your possessions off your hands, I promise to use it to fight the fascists comrade, you are obligated to let me have it.

Jokes on you, I don't own anything that technically belongs to me :smug: