Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kumo
Jul 31, 2004

https://twitter.com/KeeganNYC/status/999611325423632384

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

:thunk: Golly, these prosecution teams seem to be awful people too. It’s almost like there’s some kind of coordinated style and pattern to how they attack actual freedoms.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Does anyone truly believe Trump will denuclearize the US to get North Korea to do the same?

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
https://twitter.com/byHeatherLong/s...genumber%3D1926

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

probably because 80k is still massively underpaying them too (truck drivers made the equivalent of 110k in 1980).

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Yeah if it was $80k they might actually find people to do the job.

quote:

The median annual wage for a trucker that works for a private fleet, such as a truck driver employed by Walmart, is $73,000, according to ATA. The Labor Department pegs the median annual salary for all truck drivers at around $40,000.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

FogHelmut posted:

lmao that a private trucker like for Wal-mart gets paid well above the median. Wal-mart!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Most OTR truckers are paid in cents by the mile- only way you'd be making $80k is if you never take any weekends or vacations, ever.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
All you have to do to make $80k a year is literally live in a truck, work 100 hours a week, and never see your home or loved ones again.

Get with it, millenailures!

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

FogHelmut posted:

And even if it was $80k and people weren't taking the job, the obvious answer is that they need to pay more. The endless pearl clutching by employers who can't find talent (at some wage they're not willing to budge from) needs to go away.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

And even if it was $80k and people weren't taking the job, the obvious answer is that they need to pay more.

This a very American response. Why is it everyone always says just "pay more" for lovely jobs nobody wants. I think we as a country have forgotten that actually improving job quality is a thing you can do, as opposed to just trying to ratchet up the pay.

If people don't want an $80k job, the problem isn't the pay. The problem is that the job just loving sucks. Improving job quality is going to be more effective at that point than offering more and more money. I wouldn't take a job that put me on the road 100 hours a week, made me fat and unhealthy, and kept me away from home for weeks even if it paid me $200k. Well, not unless I intended to just work it a few years and then quit once I'd saved up.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

again 80k is less than the average trucker was making in 1980 (they were making the equivalent of 110k).

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

And even if it was $80k and people weren't taking the job, the obvious answer is that they need to pay more. The endless pearl clutching by employers who can't find talent (at some wage they're not willing to budge from) needs to go away.

Especially since their go-to when criticised for paying low wages is "If you dont like it, get another job." And now that employers are having trouble finding people for that wage and those conditions, they're getting it right back. Just like those crab fisherman who can't get enough poor people to pick crab meat anymore.

But they've built their industries around the availability of cheap labor with no better options, and now they really are in trouble when faced with having to raise wages.

lol

Svensken
May 29, 2010

Kumo posted:

Memorial Day wouldn't be so bad if we didn't have it four times a year

This can't be real.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Svensken posted:

This can't be real.

Memorial day, armed services day, patriotism day and i think loyalty day now

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
don't forget 9/11, the anniversary of Pearl harbor, the super bowl, and whichever mass shooting is most recent

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Memorial Day: 25% discount on ICE branded baby seats.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Chomp8645 posted:

This a very American response. Why is it everyone always says just "pay more" for lovely jobs nobody wants. I think we as a country have forgotten that actually improving job quality is a thing you can do, as opposed to just trying to ratchet up the pay.

If people don't want an $80k job, the problem isn't the pay. The problem is that the job just loving sucks. Improving job quality is going to be more effective at that point than offering more and more money. I wouldn't take a job that put me on the road 100 hours a week, made me fat and unhealthy, and kept me away from home for weeks even if it paid me $200k. Well, not unless I intended to just work it a few years and then quit once I'd saved up.

This is a valid point for a lot of jobs but being sedentary and isolated from friends and family are central to the job of being a trucker. The only way to "improve" that issue is to automate the job out of existence.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
im starting to think Dornald R. Troump might, in fact, be a just a mentally ill old retarded man.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

the milk machine posted:

don't forget 9/11, the anniversary of Pearl harbor, the super bowl, and whichever mass shooting is most recent

Replace ‘super bowl’ with ‘every single sporting event’.

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
Happy memorial day! All the dead people would be pretty happy with things, IT WAS ME! Too bad they didn't get to see the beautiful electoral map.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

again 80k is less than the average trucker was making in 1980 (they were making the equivalent of 110k).

I wonder what could have happened in the 80s that would have hosed over workers and wages :thunk:

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

do u know jenny posted:

I wonder what could have happened in the 80s that would have hosed over workers and wages :thunk:

Obama did nothing to keep workers' wages up in the 80s.

Probably spent the entire decade playing golf instead of being President!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/pacelattin/status/1000907279095353344

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

this a rich persons way of saying no no dont be upset they are actually on a farm with their other dog friends?

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

lol so what don't we know about that triggered this move

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Gadzuko posted:

This is a valid point for a lot of jobs but being sedentary and isolated from friends and family are central to the job of being a trucker. The only way to "improve" that issue is to automate the job out of existence.

would it be possible to setup the trucking industry so that everyone is doing a big relay or something?

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

lol no way

Kumo
Jul 31, 2004

Svensken posted:

This can't be real.

You're right it's more.

Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Flag Day, Labor Day, 9/11, Freedom Day, Veteran's Day, Loyalty Day, Liberty Day, Second Freedom Day, and Super Bowl Sunday

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Prepare for what??? :stare:

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Chomp8645 posted:

All you have to do to make $80k a year is literally live in a truck, work 100 hours a week, and never see your home or loved ones again.

Get with it, millenailures!

Why aren't millennials pursuing this lucrative career choice that will be almost completely obsoleted by self driving trucks within 10 years?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Reince Penis posted:

lol so what don't we know about that triggered this move

well there are a lot of things that we do know about that would be very good explanations.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Former DILF posted:

I̢͓̘͑n̡͓̙̼͖̝̻̭̖͂̿̏ͬ͜f͈͓̓̌r͒ͭ̾ͭͦ̾ͪ̇͌͢҉̷͉̤̙a͕̞͖̥̫͍̓͐ͫͮ̑̉̂̆s̠͓̹̘̟̋́ͥ̈̚t͕̻̘̖͈̻̞̳͚̑̐̂͌ͫ͂̌ͨ͢͞r͔͚͌ͧͣͤ̒ͯ͞ṳ̸̱̫̓̀͋̽̽̀c̘̩ͯ͆ͪͥͨ̚͠t̡̥̰̙̙͛̉̉͒͋̑̂ͮ́u̷̡̺̟̝̱̱̿͑̔ͣ͑̇ŗ̰̬̭̹̩̪̪̱ͬ̔̃̆̄ͨ̕ĕ̤̤̖̹̱̗̱̤͡ ͍̙̘͙̑͐̐͂̽ͬ̈́́͜W̗̭͇̗͚̗ͫ̄̂e̷͈̗̘͒ͬͨ̽̓͊̈ͮ͐́͡e̡̜̭̞͋̚͟͞k͙ͬ́͂̌̅͑͘̕̕

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Former DILF posted:

KY-Jelly all round!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

:d2a:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Former DILF posted:

she's extremely horny after a year in the whitehouse not getting railed by SS agents

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Is "moved back to NY" a new version of "bought the farm?"

IDONTPOST
Apr 18, 2018

Pres is such a family man that his wife doesn't want to be anywhere near him, take that libs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/RawStory/status/1001182413735768064
https://twitter.com/amieparnes/status/1001171562664513536