Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Yandat posted:

a black mirror portraying a successful luddite revolution where they kill all the techies would be pretty sweet, surprised it hasnt been done

bm deals with good things going bad, not bad things going good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

MC Hawking posted:

Traveling without moving.

*Pops the clutch*

*Screeches into shield wall*

what a strange trick

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Local steichmasters hate this one trick to transcendental enlightenment!

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Duke Leto's Final Net Worth Left Us In Tears

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

MC Hawking posted:

Have you considered that "traveling without moving" may just be a euphemism for disco dancing while tripping on acid really hard.

yea

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
i've

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I've linked this guy's videos before but i really enjoy his voice and hearing dune lore i already know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSc8hpQMtmg

he also does ASOIAF and stuff but i don't care about that poo poo anymore since grrm will be dead before winds releases and that show's unwatchable these days.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
I want to know what “walking without rhythm” is supposed to look like, since it’s apparently something you can learn to do instinctually and also can presumably do fairly quickly.

It makes me wonder if Fremen would be known the galaxy over as really lovely dancers.

poo poo, now I want a chapter about a Fremen amphibious assault unit from Paul’s jihad. Even if the soldiers don’t have crises of faith and become disillusioned with Mua’dib’s message like the one dude Scytale kills, they’d definitely be really lovely swimmers who would keep trying to drink seawater.

The only problem is I know that’s the kind of thing that I imagine Brian would try doing. Maybe it would work if it was a veteran talking about it after the fact?

Liquid Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 18:52 on May 26, 2018

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
KJA is known mostly for writing without rhythm

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

yeah i struggle to think of how to actually walk without rhythm. i bet you could do it, but even doing a randomized pattern of walking will probably repeat itself in some fashion over time, and slow your movement greatly and increase the risk of injury especially on like, open sand.

i know the whole point is it's hard to survive out there, but i really can't visualize walking without rhythm as anything other than lookling like an awkward drunken stumble

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

I want to know what “walking without rhythm” is supposed to look like, since it’s apparently something you can learn to do instinctually and also can presumably do fairly quickly.

It makes me wonder if Fremen would be known the galaxy over as really lovely dancers.

poo poo, now I want a chapter about a Fremen amphibious assault unit from Paul’s jihad. Even if the soldiers don’t have crises of faith and become disillusioned with Mua’dib’s message like the one dude Scytale kills, they’d definitely be really lovely swimmers who would keep trying to drink seawater.

The only problem is I know that’s the kind of thing that I imagine Brian would try doing. Maybe it would work if it was a veteran talking about it after the fact?

That one Frank Herbert just kind of left to your imagination as he did a lot of things. The Fremen developed a walking style to use in the desert that doesn't have rhythm so it's less likely to attract worms. You can learn the basics but experienced Fremen can make it mimic normal deserts sounds so closely it never attracts worms. To make extra sure you plant thumpers to keep the worms off your poo poo. He doesn't worry about going deep into the details of how it looks because it really isn't all that relevant.

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

there was a cool bit in the second or third book where a fremen talks about seeing an ocean for the first time while on crusade and how mind bending it was for him. he said something like the sea cured him of jihad.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

me, from the distant past, ancestral memories transmitting to paul atreides:

dude just force all your jihadis to stop on caladan so they lose their faith

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

basic hitler posted:

me, from the distant past, ancestral memories transmitting to paul atreides:

dude just force all your jihadis to stop on caladan so they lose their faith

Jessica banned them from Caladan fwiw

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Jessica was bad and dumb

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Jessica did nothing but act like a huge idiot for the entirety of Children Of Dune and it was like the worst part of the book was seeing her and gurney be completely retarded

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
That scene where she returns to Arrakis and just fucks around with Alia until someone tries to merc her was pretty good.

I also liked that the end of that scene was her running off to safety with an old fremen naib who came there to lodge a complaint during an audience with Alia. Nice way of showing that the oldschool fremen still trusted her over Alia and the new Imperium.

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
The new smilie, :d2a: [death to America] looks a little like Alia.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I'm assuming sandworms can't just up and eat people / animals due to the water content, so why would they evolve to be drawn to a walking kind of rhythm?

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Mad Hamish posted:

I'm assuming sandworms can't just up and eat people / animals due to the water content, so why would they evolve to be drawn to a walking kind of rhythm?

Now that you mention it, what DO sand worms eat to get so big? Some kind of sand krill? I can't recall it being mentioned, but the only book I've read repeatedly is the first one.

Also, if anyone's itching for more desert & drugs & insanity sci-fi, with a dash of Apocalypse Now and Moby Dick, you might like Involution Ocean by Bruce Sterling. Our protagonist is addicted to a drug called Flare, which is made from the ambergris of whales that swim through vast oceans of sand. He cons his way into working on a whaling ship so he can start breaking bad. Then poo poo goes sideways, I won't spoil anything else.

It's got some great details of world-building; I was just reminded of it because one thing is you never want to do on this planet is spit or bleed or pee over the side of the ship, because there are razor sharp flying fish that sense moisture in the sand the way a shark smells chum or a worm senses rhythm. Also, the giant sand whales eat sand krill.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

a lot of the sandworm biology stuff is overviewed in Children and God Emperor if you really want to understand worms

but i can't remember offhand what they actually eat or what causes them to grow aside from sandtrout being a part of their lifecycle

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

I think they primarily feed on sand plankton.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Now that you mention it, what DO sand worms eat to get so big? Some kind of sand krill? I can't recall it being mentioned, but the only book I've read repeatedly is the first one.

Also, if anyone's itching for more desert & drugs & insanity sci-fi, with a dash of Apocalypse Now and Moby Dick, you might like Involution Ocean by Bruce Sterling. Our protagonist is addicted to a drug called Flare, which is made from the ambergris of whales that swim through vast oceans of sand. He cons his way into working on a whaling ship so he can start breaking bad. Then poo poo goes sideways, I won't spoil anything else.

It's got some great details of world-building; I was just reminded of it because one thing is you never want to do on this planet is spit or bleed or pee over the side of the ship, because there are razor sharp flying fish that sense moisture in the sand the way a shark smells chum or a worm senses rhythm. Also, the giant sand whales eat sand krill.

Hey, I think I read that a long time ago. Do they turn a dead whale into a sand submarine?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Shaddak posted:

I think they primarily feed on sand plankton.

Yeah, they eat sand plankton and the adults are very territorial so they attack anything that might be another adult digging in their territory (presumably they dig rhythmically.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Zopotantor posted:

Hey, I think I read that a long time ago. Do they (spoilers that will turn up if I quote this, at least on my device)?

Yep! One of Sterling's real early novels (maybe his first?) before he got into cyberpunk. Again, highly recommended for the fine people with excellent taste in this thread.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

raw, unprocessed spice!

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I've read the sand worm biology section of the Dune appendix a dozen times and still can't quite get my head around it. The trout and the worms eat krill and the krill eat spice scraps and the spice scraps come from worms and the worms come from a bunch of trout coming together to smush moisture into a big biologically super active ball of water and dead trout? Or something? Help

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Tree Bucket posted:

I've read the sand worm biology section of the Dune appendix a dozen times and still can't quite get my head around it. The trout and the worms eat krill and the krill eat spice scraps and the spice scraps come from worms and the worms come from a bunch of trout coming together to smush moisture into a big biologically super active ball of water and dead trout? Or something? Help

Smallish groups of sandtrout under certain conditions combine to make a "little maker", an infant sandworm. Big groups of sandtrout encysting a lot of water form a pre-spice mass, which eventually explodes in a rain of spice and sandtrout gore.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

dis astranagant posted:

Smallish groups of sandtrout under certain conditions combine to make a "little maker", an infant sandworm. Big groups of sandtrout encysting a lot of water form a pre-spice mass, which eventually explodes in a rain of spice and sandtrout gore.

Okay, that works. Why do the trout encyst water? Is it an instinctive thing to help out the makers, or because they need water....?
Regardless, it is a cool and nicely alien ecosystem.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Tree Bucket posted:

Okay, that works. Why do the trout encyst water? Is it an instinctive thing to help out the makers, or because they need water....?
Regardless, it is a cool and nicely alien ecosystem.

Water is poison for the worms, so the trout ball it up and do a bunch of biochemical stuff to make it tolerable. It's also mentioned in some of Leto II's musings that sandtrout aren't native to Dune and may have even been engineered for some purpose.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Dün

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
June

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Z'ha'dune is the homeworld of the Spice. No one leaves the same as they arrived.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
God Emperor Londo II.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Apparently the Centauri visual design took some inspiration from 1984 Dune.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Rockopolis posted:

Z'ha'dune is the homeworld of the Spice. No one leaves the same as they arrived.

That last part is a major plot point in The Dosadi Experiment.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Rockopolis posted:

"Duke Leto, if you go to Z'ha'dune, you will die."

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
:gowron:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i'm into God Emperor again. Children of Dune was a real slog. having so much more fun with G-E, although i'm also looking forward to pressing ahead and actually reading Heretics and Chapterhouse this time.

definitely think Dune is still the best book