Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Behind on the thread but the new layout made a bad layout even worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

I fuckin hate how little variety there is in this subreddit

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
From my local subreddit

quote:

I know this is a long shot and there's pretty well NO chance it will be seen by you BUT you and I rode a bus together last night and you weren't feeling too well from the motion of the bus. We talked a little but it was only in the moments before you got off at your stop. Your smile hasn't left my mind since and I know it's a long shot, but if you see this, I'd love to buy you a coffee :)

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

"i STarTed this TOIlEt Of A tHreaD aNd HAve sOmEHOW aVoidEd A red teXt"

Bonzo posted:

From my local subreddit

This desperate dude should post this on /r/gonewild

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

"Sitting near me made you nauseous. You bailed ASAP. Let's do it again".

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

https://old.reddit.com/r/taylorswiftarmpit/

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

lol

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

I like how that one guy is genuinely concerned that the op didn’t make a pun when he could have

Fuckin reddit

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Puns are the lowest form of comedy.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Buns are the doughest form of bakery.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Television has always really helped my mental health

I grew up in a small town where I couldn't relate to many people. One of the highlights of my week was always watching my favorite shows. I especially love series that deal with real emotions and problems, like Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, BoJack Horseman, You're the Worst, Love, etc. Sometimes it's like the one thing I have that I can relate to when I'm having a bad day.

Feeling understood by these characters, or even just seeing comedies that make things easier for a while, is something that makes my depression/anxiety more manageable. I've always loved movies too but I realize now that television is what I really want to be a part of. I'm a Media and Cinema Studies major and it would be ideal to someday work in the television industry, so I can be a part of making someone else's day better.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

gbs but from 2004 posted:

It’s because video games are the most important things in most redditor’s lives

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Serious question, were there people this obsessed with books or plays a few hundred years ago? I'm sure it happened but can't think of any specific stories

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Sentient Data posted:

Serious question, were there people this obsessed with books or plays a few hundred years ago? I'm sure it happened but can't think of any specific stories

their families had the courtesy to burn their journals or sell them to the sanitariums as posthumous case studies

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Sentient Data posted:

People sent death threats to Arthur Conan Doyle for killing off Sherlock Holmes in one of the books. So yes.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
young men in the 18th century idolized Young Werther to the point of cosplaying as him and even killing themselves. we've always been this dumb, internet is just a multiplier

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I think some folks used to care deeply about poetry too. Poetry! If it was any good they would have set it to music.

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

I wonder if there were 16th century incels making waifus out of hay or whatever

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
They had farm animals for that.

SouljaBoyVEVO
May 19, 2018

From the Ghastly Eyrie, I can see to the ends of the world, and from this vantage point, I declare, with UTTER CERTAINTY, that THIS one is IN. THE BAG.
If you could ride a velociraptor across the street like you were playing Frogger, what colour would it be?, XD XD XD LOL!!!!!!! :hurr:

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

Sorry this isn't a sick gif or photo, but i thought i'd share my story to my fellow gamers who grew up the way i did. And to anyone who lives with someone who is making you stop playing games if it's your only form of relief, tell that person to gently caress off.

As a kid, i loved playing my Sega Genesis. It was like being introduced to crack as kid to be honest. Going from console to console such as the PS1 and PS2 to eventually the first Xbox was like graduating in it's own way. I'm 21 years old working a government desk job, wrestled all 4 years of high school, and had plenty of friends. But all of my good memories with friends and family was bonding over video games.

Whenever i felt depressed over a family loss, losing a girl, or any sadness, i had my xbox and games to cheer me up. Like cheer me up in the way that i actually felt like things were going to be okay you know?

Anyway, i've been in a relationship for almost 2 years and during this time my fiance hated that i played. She thought it made me irresponsible, and that i didn't want to pay any attention to her. Keep in mind the most i would play when she was home was an hour tops. I loved her, but that one hour really helped me wind down from all the stress and occasional anxiety i'd have.

Anyway, our relationship got worse and just last weekend, i moved out. She had gotten physically violent with me for the second time. And after years of verbal abuse as well, it really has taken a toll on me since. i wasn't confident anymore, i thought people who played games were losers to be honest..

After moving back with my family and after unpacking the only thing that wasnt set up was my Xbox and Tv. So i figured why the hell not..it's only been a year or so since i got a good gaming session in!

I decieded to buy battlefield one and told a couple buddies of mine to get online. And for the first time in a long time, after all the laughing and playing, things felt..i guess normal again. I felt just as happy as my 14 year old self playing old Halo games. I had almost forgotten i got the poo poo kicked outta me the day before, and all my worries felt at ease.

Truth is, i'm still planning on going to therapy after all the verbal abuse as well. But I just thought i'd share my story that if anyone ever tells you video games are stupid and pointless, that maybe you can relate to my story and realize that person you're talking to is wrong. I should be alot more depressed right now, by playing games and talking with friends has been my greatest coping mechanism ever. If playing makes you happy, then don't let ANYONE take that away from you. Your happiness is yours, and yours alone.

EDIT: Wow. You guys have no idea how happy i am knowing my story has resonated with most of you. I'm getting personal messages that i will reply to later telling me their own personal stories, hell, most of you are putting up your stories right here for everyone to see! I'm inspired to see how positive everyone is about this.

To answer some questions: No, the reason my ex and i fought wasn't always because of gaming. Unfortunately she had anger issues and was going to classes for them but her patience was always thin with me. I don't hate her for what she did. Just severely disappointed.

I never thought about ending my life, but the abuse after a while was taking a toll on me mentally. I've had problems with depression before, and i never wanted to be so depressed that suicide was an option. I guess what i'm saying is playing video games always kept the depression at bay. Playing always gave me this feeling that everything was going to be okay. especially after last week.

Anyway, i love you all, and i'll probably spend most of tonight replying to your stories and sipping on some Blue Moon lol!

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

hackbunny posted:

young men in the 18th century idolized Young Werther to the point of cosplaying as him and even killing themselves. we've always been this dumb, internet is just a multiplier

Byron had his young idiot martyrs as well. Dickens mania was a thing all over the world, people would fight and get stabbed at the docks in New York when the crates of his serials were being unloaded.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

does anyone know any restaurant? just any restaurant at all?

please? i have no specifications, just simply that it be a hole in the wall, but i don't mind any franchises as well. also, i'd like a vegan restaurant with a lot of burger and steak options as well as seafood. i'm not allowed to drink so i tend to avoid drinking, but if they have any good beer and hard liquor selections as well, feel free to link those. i'm not picky. i just need a restaurant. i did not look in the sidebar, wikipedia, or search as my family is dying from not finding a restaurant and i need help immediately.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Went to a steakhouse, and they couldn't serve me a vegan meal

How dare they

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
Pupper, doggo, fluff and all other infantile words these people use when they post some unremarkable picture of their pet.

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

Hedenius posted:

Pupper, doggo, fluff and all other infantile words these people use when they post some unremarkable picture of their pet.

I talk in reddit pet baby talk irl and measure everything in puppers and doggos

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.
Reddit loves doggos but sure hates children.

KidaAreFuckingStupid, Childrenfalling , and ChildFree are all good examples of redditora that secretly want children to die because they're dumb or something

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Hedenius posted:

That poo poo drives me up the loving wall

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

gbs but from 2004 posted:

Sorry this isn't a sick gif or photo, but i thought i'd share my story to my fellow gamers who grew up the way i did. And to anyone who lives with someone who is making you stop playing games if it's your only form of relief, tell that person to gently caress off.

As a kid, i loved playing my Sega Genesis. It was like being introduced to crack as kid to be honest. Going from console to console such as the PS1 and PS2 to eventually the first Xbox was like graduating in it's own way. I'm 21 years old working a government desk job, wrestled all 4 years of high school, and had plenty of friends. But all of my good memories with friends and family was bonding over video games.

Whenever i felt depressed over a family loss, losing a girl, or any sadness, i had my xbox and games to cheer me up. Like cheer me up in the way that i actually felt like things were going to be okay you know?

Anyway, i've been in a relationship for almost 2 years and during this time my fiance hated that i played. She thought it made me irresponsible, and that i didn't want to pay any attention to her. Keep in mind the most i would play when she was home was an hour tops. I loved her, but that one hour really helped me wind down from all the stress and occasional anxiety i'd have.

Anyway, our relationship got worse and just last weekend, i moved out. She had gotten physically violent with me for the second time. And after years of verbal abuse as well, it really has taken a toll on me since. i wasn't confident anymore, i thought people who played games were losers to be honest..

After moving back with my family and after unpacking the only thing that wasnt set up was my Xbox and Tv. So i figured why the hell not..it's only been a year or so since i got a good gaming session in!

I decieded to buy battlefield one and told a couple buddies of mine to get online. And for the first time in a long time, after all the laughing and playing, things felt..i guess normal again. I felt just as happy as my 14 year old self playing old Halo games. I had almost forgotten i got the poo poo kicked outta me the day before, and all my worries felt at ease.

Truth is, i'm still planning on going to therapy after all the verbal abuse as well. But I just thought i'd share my story that if anyone ever tells you video games are stupid and pointless, that maybe you can relate to my story and realize that person you're talking to is wrong. I should be alot more depressed right now, by playing games and talking with friends has been my greatest coping mechanism ever. If playing makes you happy, then don't let ANYONE take that away from you. Your happiness is yours, and yours alone.

EDIT: Wow. You guys have no idea how happy i am knowing my story has resonated with most of you. I'm getting personal messages that i will reply to later telling me their own personal stories, hell, most of you are putting up your stories right here for everyone to see! I'm inspired to see how positive everyone is about this.

To answer some questions: No, the reason my ex and i fought wasn't always because of gaming. Unfortunately she had anger issues and was going to classes for them but her patience was always thin with me. I don't hate her for what she did. Just severely disappointed.

I never thought about ending my life, but the abuse after a while was taking a toll on me mentally. I've had problems with depression before, and i never wanted to be so depressed that suicide was an option. I guess what i'm saying is playing video games always kept the depression at bay. Playing always gave me this feeling that everything was going to be okay. especially after last week.

Anyway, i love you all, and i'll probably spend most of tonight replying to your stories and sipping on some Blue Moon lol!

I can only imagine some of the comments on this post.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

I look at my city subreddit but I honestly can't tell you why. It's so boring and these people are boring. Or maybe I'm boring. :effort:

But really it's just flat boosterism. Wow, new pics of another glass condo building. A real multi-family mixed-use development and that is what our city needs like the last 200 of them. Yeah. Hey here's a picture of the skyline I took after visiting last weekend. Thanks for the upvotes fam.
The funny thing is I was about to ask if it was my nearby city but there's not enough complaining about the homeless. Not surprised they're all poo poo.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I got downvoted to negatives for suggesting that fanfiction is derivative that I wouldn't listen to writing advice from anyone who exclusively reads fanfiction

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Quit trying to silence brave incest fanfic writers

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Heath posted:

I got downvoted to negatives for suggesting that fanfiction is derivative that I wouldn't listen to writing advice from anyone who exclusively reads fanfiction

downvotes, really?

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

you guys sure know know a lot about reddit.com

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
everything I know about reddit, I know ironically

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":
gets banned from /r/somethingawful

Marlboro for Cats
Apr 14, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

evilpicard posted:

there's boobs. And sometimes I talk to people from there.

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

Wamdoodle posted:

I can only imagine some of the comments on this post.

Gaming is probably one of the only reasons i don't drink myself to sleep every night.

evilpicard posted:

I just want to thank you all for the positive messages! If my story resonated with you then that truly warms my heart. I typed out my story thinking "well maybe 1 or 2 comments, but i'm sure no one would truly care"

Thank you all for taking your time or even upvoting. I didn't put this story up for pity, i put it up so that if anyone else is in pain the way i am, they know that it's okay not to be okay, and it's okay to turn on your console or PC to feel like your old self again!

Shania Twain
Aug 25, 2008
My dad is a paraplegic retard who suffers from depression, also he's bi. He's not confident at all in his art and would never show it to the world. I broke into his safe last night because I just had to share it with the world and gently caress his privacy. Anyways I'm going to post 10 of these individually for as much attention whoring as possible.

HURR DURR AMAZING I CAN'T BELIEVE THE COLORS AND HOW HE PUT MARKS ON A PAGE!!!! PLEASE NEVER STOP POSTING THESE OR I'LL LITERALLY DIE!!!!! asl?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Shania Twain posted:

My dad is a paraplegic retard who suffers from depression, also he's bi. He's not confident at all in his art and would never show it to the world. I broke into his safe last night because I just had to share it with the world and gently caress his privacy. Anyways I'm going to post 10 of these individually for as much attention whoring as possible.

HURR DURR AMAZING I CAN'T BELIEVE THE COLORS AND HOW HE PUT MARKS ON A PAGE!!!! PLEASE NEVER STOP POSTING THESE OR I'LL LITERALLY DIE!!!!! asl?

lol.

I browse imgur, which is less edgy but more attention seeking