Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Epicurius posted:

Horribly barbaric. To the symposium, then?

There were rules. Typically at a symposium, the guests were limited to a maximum of three drinks. One guest was in charge of mixing the wine and distributing it, and to drink more than three was quite improper. You were not supposed to get drunk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Guildencrantz posted:

Wait, what's the horrifying part here? Is it "oh gods women in the streets enjoying themselves"? Because I find it hard to believe the Greeks would be horrified by binge drinking.

That's part of it, at least. Greeks were also horrified to see Egyptian men and women walking hand in hand, rather than the woman keeping a respectful distance behind the man.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Grand Fromage posted:

There were rules. Typically at a symposium, the guests were limited to a maximum of three drinks. One guest was in charge of mixing the wine and distributing it, and to drink more than three was quite improper. You were not supposed to get drunk.

The line in Eubulus? It says "After three bowls, wise guests go home", but then it talks about the effect of further drunkenness after then, suggesting that not every guest at a symposium was so wise. And you've got the fragment from Epicharmus, about how a sacrifice leads to a feast, which leads to a symposium, which leads to drunken brawling in the street, which leads to lawsuits and punishments.

I don't know. I've always seen the "Oh, no. Symposia don't dissolve into drunken debauchery" you see in a some of ancient sources as protesting too much, like that line from one of Plato's works about "It's the mark of the uneducated to go crazy at a symposium. We educated people talk about poetry, even if we get really drunk." And even in Plato's "Symposium", where it's all formal and civilized and about the nature of love, you still see Alcibiades show up drunk.

And historically, Alexander the Great's symposia were pretty notorious for not stopping at 3 drinks.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I think you're conflating "not supposed to" and "didn't", there. :v:

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Grand Fromage posted:

I think you're conflating "not supposed to" and "didn't", there. :v:

I think what I'm trying to say is that there was probably a segment of Greek intellectuals who considered drunkenness (in men) uncivilized, but that it was common enough in Greece, even among the Greek upper classes, that the sight of drunken Egyptian men wouldn't have horrified the Greeks. Drunken Egyptian women, on the other hand. they would find shocking.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Guildencrantz posted:

Wait, what's the horrifying part here? Is it "oh gods women in the streets enjoying themselves"? Because I find it hard to believe the Greeks would be horrified by binge drinking.

I checked up the quote and turns out I remembered it wrong, they weren't horrified just amused:

Aristoteles posted:

Those who get drunk on beer fall on their backs and lie with their faces up. Those who get drunk on wine fall down every which way.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Epicurius posted:

I think what I'm trying to say is that there was probably a segment of Greek intellectuals who considered drunkenness (in men) uncivilized, but that it was common enough in Greece, even among the Greek upper classes, that the sight of drunken Egyptian men wouldn't have horrified the Greeks. Drunken Egyptian women, on the other hand. they would find shocking.

People in our culture get drunk all the time and the mainstream belief is that it's not a good thing, and often the drunk people themselves don't regard it as a particularly good thing to have done when they wake up. I don't see why it's so hard to imagine that a much more socially regulated culture would have regarded it as an immoral behavior notwithstanding it being commonplace.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Epicurius posted:

And historically, Alexander the Great's symposia were pretty notorious for not stopping at 3 drinks.
alexander wasn't greek either

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

HEY GUNS posted:

neither was greece after he got done with it

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

HEY GUNS posted:

That is highly controversial and subjective. The Macedonians definitely thought they were, and so did Herodotus, and either way he was part of the cultural milleu that at least philosophically believed it was bad to be a drunk.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
the macedonians can think what they like and everyone knows herodotos was a panhellenist

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

By this way of thinking, though, Aristotle is potentially not Greek.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

Epicurius posted:

The line in Eubulus? It says "After three bowls, wise guests go home"

Man, I thought after three bowls is when you queue up weird music videos and order pizza, I've been doing it wrong :v:

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

They're all Greek to me.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Macedonians are half barbarous anyway, nobody should be surprised if they get piss drunk and start demanding everyone do proskynesis to them

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Disinterested posted:

By this way of thinking, though, Aristotle is potentially not Greek.

No one is greek, but the Atlantean Bolivians!

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Mantis42 posted:

They're all Greek to me.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
im greek

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

just sayin

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

https://www.central.edu/campus-life/get-involved/

Looks like they have Greek Culture :smaug:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

case closed then

Alexander is Ionian Iowan Greek

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Disinterested posted:

That is highly controversial and subjective. The Macedonians definitely thought they were, and so did Herodotus, and either way he was part of the cultural milleu that at least philosophically believed it was bad to be a drunk.

Might wanna pull that fish hook outta your mouth my dude.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Beamed posted:

Might wanna pull that fish hook outta your mouth my dude.

Sometimes you gotta bite on it for the sake of the innocent bystander

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I just read that Mark Antony went fishing one day with Cleopatra, got pissed off that he wasn't catching anything so he got some servants to dive underwater and hook fish onto his line so he could pull them out while Cleopatra cooed over how great he was. The next day they went out fishing again and Cleopatra asked him to show off again, and to his great surprise and delight he immediately hauled out a big fish as everybody cheered and then burst out laughing... because Cleopatra had sent down her own servants to do the same for him, only this time with a gutted, seasoned and cooked fish to make it absolutely clear she knew what he'd been up to the previous day :xd:

Best part of the story is that apparently Mark Antony found the whole thing hilarious too :3:

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

FAUXTON posted:

just sayin

Home of Kyle Korver and windows.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

HEY GUNS posted:

I've got a Greek friend, who is trained as a classicist, who refuses to talk about Alexander the Great and especially the question of whether or not he is Greek. Its a really touchy subject.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

I'm now sad that the fishing anecdote is only portrayed by James Purefoy in my head. The guy absolutely nailed Big Mark and I'd watch the gently caress out of any kind of spin-off where he just goes on adventures and has a cool time.

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Jerusalem posted:

I just read that Mark Antony went fishing one day with Cleopatra, got pissed off that he wasn't catching anything so he got some servants to dive underwater and hook fish onto his line so he could pull them out while Cleopatra cooed over how great he was. The next day they went out fishing again and Cleopatra asked him to show off again, and to his great surprise and delight he immediately hauled out a big fish as everybody cheered and then burst out laughing... because Cleopatra had sent down her own servants to do the same for him, only this time with a gutted, seasoned and cooked fish to make it absolutely clear she knew what he'd been up to the previous day :xd:

Best part of the story is that apparently Mark Antony found the whole thing hilarious too :3:

If those divers had spent less time dicking around, and more time checking for remoras, they might have won the battle of Actium.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
https://twitter.com/pompeii_sites/status/1001381588058492928

That's a find alright

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Jerusalem posted:

Unlikely that it was cooked but gutted and prepped I could envision.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Disinterested posted:

The Greeks didn't think the Macedonians as a whole were Greeks, though depending on who you'd ask they might concede the aristocracy or the royal family as Greeks. They were at least Philhellenes, who spoke Greek and embraced Greek culture to a large extent. Whether that made them Greek or not depended on who was writing and observing I'd say, if you say it doesn't then a good comparison may be how the Russian aristocracy form Peter the Great's time spoke mostly French amongst themselves and embraced many parts of Western, particularly French, culture, though they still were Russian.

If I recall correctly from Arrian there are mentions of Alexander and his officers at times communicating in Macedonian so the Greeks present would not understand them, so it appears that it at least was a different language, incomprehensible to Greeks (though quite possibly related to Greek). As regards Alexander's symposiums, the Macedonians are remarked upon as going quite a bit further with theirs than the Greeks, drinking themselves into stupors, something the Greeks did in fact find barbarous, the Greeks also mixed their wine about 50/50 with water and thought people who didn't do this were savages (and I think the Macedonians were among these people).

Anyway, even if the Macedonians might fall on the not Greek line. Alexander himself was anyway half Greek, by way of her mother who was an Epirote. They were definitely Greek, if a little backwards and savage due to not living in a polis.

9-Volt Assault posted:

I've got a Greek friend, who is trained as a classicist, who refuses to talk about Alexander the Great and especially the question of whether or not he is Greek. Its a really touchy subject.

The Greek-Macedonian namefight is probably the stupidest conflict/controversy in the modern era.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 21:33 on May 29, 2018

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'm not even sure what category of thing the concept of greek/not greek would be back then. I'm a little embedded in the modern idea of nationalism. Closest I can think of is the Commonwealth of Nations. A bunch of independent groups of people with related histories and mostly the same language and religion.

Of course, most of the time when people bring up the subject, they don't so much care about the mindset of the people at the time as they do about modern nationalism and what have you.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Greek identity is a myth invented by the Atlanteans, of course.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Mr Enderby posted:

If those divers had spent less time dicking around, and more time checking for remoras, they might have won the battle of Actium.

Pfffft like they’re beating Agrippa :colbert:

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

I'm not even sure what category of thing the concept of greek/not greek would be back then. I'm a little embedded in the modern idea of nationalism. Closest I can think of is the Commonwealth of Nations. A bunch of independent groups of people with related histories and mostly the same language and religion.

Of course, most of the time when people bring up the subject, they don't so much care about the mindset of the people at the time as they do about modern nationalism and what have you.

Greeks divided all people in to two types, based on language. If you spoke Greek you were a Hellene, if you didn't you were a barbarian.

The problem is that while this is the framework everyone purports to use they still will merrily call Greek speakers barbarians if they feel rustic to whoever's speaking. Macedonians spoke a dialect of Greek, and people from the area participated in the olympic games and visited and donated to the oracle at Delphi, which are the two big pan-hellenic activities. And yet some Greeks called them barbarians. On the other hand, there's not really a mention of Macedonians in the Trojan War.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
I'm wondering if this discussion was sparked by the Hellenistic Age Podcast, which covered the same question a couple episodes ago. It's only just starting, but it's pretty good so far, and the Hellenistic era is the best era.

I think the mainland Greeks considered the Macedonians as somewhere between "proper" Greeks and the Thracians or Illyrians. The Macedonians were northern barbarians, but more civilized than the rest. I think it's accepted that all the peoples in the Balkans were related linguistically and culturally, and I suspect Greek identify was a bit more fluid than we'd think of it now.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Disinterested posted:

Greeks divided all people in to two types, based on language. If you spoke Greek you were a Hellene, if you didn't you were a barbarian.

The problem is that while this is the framework everyone purports to use they still will merrily call Greek speakers barbarians if they feel rustic to whoever's speaking. Macedonians spoke a dialect of Greek, and people from the area participated in the olympic games and visited and donated to the oracle at Delphi, which are the two big pan-hellenic activities. And yet some Greeks called them barbarians. On the other hand, there's not really a mention of Macedonians in the Trojan War.

so are the myrmidons the northernmost hellenes mentioned in the illiad? it's been over a decade since i read it, getting awfully spotty

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

V. Illych L. posted:

so are the myrmidons the northernmost hellenes mentioned in the illiad? it's been over a decade since i read it, getting awfully spotty

Uh, yeah. Achilles was a Myrmidon.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

V. Illych L. posted:

No, the greeks who came from further north in Thessaly, like Leonteus. The Paeonians are contenders but they fought for Troy and are very dubiously greek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

LingcodKilla posted:

Unlikely that it was cooked but gutted and prepped I could envision.

Yep, I got overenthusiastic in my description, the story is naturally great without needing any embellishment.

Cleopatra posted:

Better to leave fishing to us poor Egyptians—your game is conquering kingdoms.

Now that was a lady who knew how to flatter :allears: