Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

RFC2324 posted:

I'm pro gun control, but as long as we are doing ridiculous things like counting some firing a bb gun as a shooting incident we will never be able to have a realistic conversation about it. Step one will always be clearly defining the problem, otherwise we just flail ineffectively while the pro gun lobbys tear apart the arguments based on technicalities.

Critical thinking 101 should have taught you this.

You've critically thought yourself retarded.

I'd post a dog but I'm on mobile

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Someone's listening to my advice!

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Bored As gently caress posted:

Words matter. Definitions matter.

Of course definitions matter. My main points are that (1) there's a legitimate reason to place shootings on school property in the same category rather than make fine distinctions, because the simplest solution to curb gun violence on school property is the same regardless of motive and number of casualties; and (2) even if you don't buy that, and we agree to change the definition of "school shooting" to exactly what DR wants, the premise of the pro-gun control argument is unchanged. People who shouldn't have access to firearms nevertheless do, and because of that they can easily kill large numbers of people. e: Essentially this:

M_Gargantua posted:

The numbers are still bad if you limit them to just national tradgedy level gun violence. That alone should be reason enough for action. If you think including other gun violence on top of that ‘muddys the waters’ on the nature of the problem then you are clearly grasping at straws to deflect from the underlying problem.

in expiation for Kawasaki Nun's sin, a coupla weird looking dogs:

https://i.imgur.com/WObQckP.gifv

https://gfycat.com/TameAlienatedFairyfly

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 28, 2018

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

M_Gargantua posted:

The numbers are still bad if you limit them to just national tradgedy level gun violence. That alone should be reason enough for action. If you think including other gun violence on top of that ‘muddys the waters’ on the nature of the problem then you are clearly grasping at straws to deflect from the underlying problem.

this is the best part. theyre seriously trying to argue that there is a number of kids stacked like wood that is acceptable for their hobby to continue existing

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Proud Christian Mom posted:

this is the best part. theyre seriously trying to argue that there is a number of kids stacked like wood that is acceptable for their hobby to continue existing

The extra best part is that it wouldn't even preclude their hobby from existing, it would just make it harder for people to shoot kids.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

M_Gargantua posted:

White soccer moms and dads usually dont give a gently caress about the majority of gun violence in this country. They only get outraged when it's white kids dying in schools or other white people dying in public places. So artificially inflating that number by including poo poo that aren't actual mass shootings or school shootings makes those same white people support gun control. These are the same white folks are normally indifferent to the 90% of gun violence that occurs between minorities and gangs, due in large part to the war on drugs, poverty, lack of a functioning and adequately funded social safety net, good nutrition, good education, actual options for a future.

There is an underlying problem of violence in this country, that I agree with. I just believe that having a functioning social safety net, access to decent education, ending the drug war, increasing access to healthcare, etc would do way more to decrease all kinds of violence (not just gun violence) in this country, rather than the easy but incorrect "ban guns problem solved lol"

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
I love how they are trying to make it out to seem like the left is the problem, not the fact that they shoot down literally any talk to legislate guns. Digitalize NICs, “well that just makes it easier for to government to take our guns!” Limit people who have mental health problems from owning weapons, “well the government will just call the people who they don’t like mentally ill and cease their guns!”

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

I'm pro posting dog photos, but as long as we are doing ridiculous things like posting a picture of a bear cub to pass it off as a dog we will never be able to have a realistic conversation about whether baby dogs or bears or seal pups are cuter. Step one will always be clearly defining whether it's a bear cub or a puppy that we're posting, otherwise we just flail ineffectively while the pro cat lobbys tear apart the arguments based on technicalities.

Animal biology 101 should have taught you this.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I'm pro posting dog photos, but as long as we are doing ridiculous things like posting a picture of a bear cub to pass it off as a dog we will never be able to have a realistic conversation about whether baby dogs or bears or seal pups are cuter. Step one will always be clearly defining whether it's a bear cub or a puppy that we're posting, otherwise we just flail ineffectively while the pro cat lobbys tear apart the arguments based on technicalities.

There was an article in the gbs China thread about a family that got a dog and it took them 2 years to realize it was actually a bear.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
Vat 69 :nice:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

White soccer moms and dads usually dont give a gently caress about the majority of gun violence in this country. They only get outraged when it's white kids dying in schools or other white people dying in public places. So artificially inflating that number by including poo poo that aren't actual mass shootings or school shootings makes those same white people support gun control. These are the same white folks are normally indifferent to the 90% of gun violence that occurs between minorities and gangs, due in large part to the war on drugs, poverty, lack of a functioning and adequately funded social safety net, good nutrition, good education, actual options for a future.

There is an underlying problem of violence in this country, that I agree with. I just believe that having a functioning social safety net, access to decent education, ending the drug war, increasing access to healthcare, etc would do way more to decrease all kinds of violence (not just gun violence) in this country, rather than the easy but incorrect "ban guns problem solved lol"

Well if youve been following politics the rising left promotes the answer of ‘why not both’

To add on to this trying to remove the bodies of gang members, NDs, and suicides from the pile to make it acceptabley smaller.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

M_Gargantua posted:

Well if youve been following politics the rising left promotes the answer of ‘why not both’

To add on to this trying to remove the bodies of gang members, NDs, and suicides from the pile to make it acceptabley smaller.

Still just trying to get over the NDs and the fact that they're a thing on school grounds.

Obvious solution is to increase the number of weapons in schools.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 21:38 on May 28, 2018

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

pantslesswithwolves posted:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

lightpole posted:

Still just trying to get over the NDs and the fact that they're a thing on school grounds.

Obvious solution is to increase the number of weapons in schools.

The best ND is the DEA dude proclaiming how he's the only person qualified to safely handle his gl-BAM RIGHT IN THE THIGH

https://youtu.be/QNa5n2I_DUw

E: looks maybe more like the side than the thigh, but it's still a classic cop move.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 22:10 on May 28, 2018

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

MAJOR! SHUT THIS THREAD OFF!

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
Cobalt thorium g

Why wouldn’t you tell the world ?

The Premier loves surprises.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Gentleman please, you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Mandrake! The redcoats are coming!

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
We'll meet again, friends.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxrWz9XVvls

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

You're gonna have to answer to the Coca-Cola Corporation

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

:gowron:

Sisko Trek Best Trek.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mS6td4eg-m8

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Ah yes, those gangbangers having a shootout on school property, it's simply Tuesday. The psychological impact of having that type of violence trivialized by society at large certainly doesn't have second order psychological impacts on the already marginalized communities where gang violence is prevalent.

Like Jesus dude do you have a soul?

I work in EMS, so no.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Brute Squad posted:

Sisko Trek Best Trek.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Nice

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Goddamn

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

I love how they are trying to make it out to seem like the left is the problem,

They are though. Democrat leadership is actively hostile to the constitution especially people like Pelosi and Fienstien who have said poo poo like, they want to repeal the second amendment, or incrementally destroy it.

Apply your argument to say, the first, or third amendments. What honest man needs more than thirty words? Ban assault language. Repeal the ban on quartering troops. Want to enjoy the benefits of American Imperalism? Better house and feed those troops. Hell lets ban dog breeds too because that totally solves the problem. If the government doesn't like someone they shouldn't be able to have a big dog. Ban Pit Bulls, Dobermans and Huskies! Whats that, the dog registry has been closed since 1982, we're gonna destroy your large breed.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Steezo posted:

They are though. Democrat leadership is actively hostile to the constitution especially people like Pelosi and Fienstien who have said poo poo like, they want to repeal the second amendment, or incrementally destroy it.

Apply your argument to say, the first, or third amendments. What honest man needs more than thirty words? Ban assault language. Repeal the ban on quartering troops. Want to enjoy the benefits of American Imperalism? Better house and feed those troops. Hell lets ban dog breeds too because that totally solves the problem. If the government doesn't like someone they shouldn't be able to have a big dog. Ban Pit Bulls, Dobermans and Huskies! Whats that, the dog registry has been closed since 1982, we're gonna destroy your large breed.

We already have limits on the first amendment.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
A better argument is applying it to the 4th Amendment. Who cares if the cops can go into any house at all? Don't you hate drug overdoses? What's wrong with you? Don't you know that opiate abuse is skyrocketing and overdose deaths are rising too? Why wont you give up your 4th amendment rights to privacy or to be free from unreasonable searches and seizures?

Even though there are already exceptions to the 4th Amendment (just like the 1st, 2nd, 5th, etc), people proposing arguably unreasonable further restrictions is reason enough to argue against them.

Bored As Fuck fucked around with this message at 01:00 on May 29, 2018

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

If you know who those people are trap sprung, you are old as gently caress

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Steezo posted:

lmao go back to your hug box and keep your powder dry patriot 😂

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Steezo posted:

Oh no, "Fienstien" is coming for your guns! This is a real fear that has basis in reality! :jerkbag:

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

A better argument is applying it to the 4th Amendment. Who cares if the cops can go into any house at all? Don't you hate drug overdoses? What's wrong with you? Don't you know that opiate abuse is skyrocketing and overdose deaths are rising too? Why wont you give up your 4th amendment rights to privacy or to be free from unreasonable searches and seizures?

Even though there are already exceptions to the 4th Amendment (just like the 1st, 2nd, 5th, etc), people proposing arguably unreasonable further restrictions is reason enough to argue against them.

So we are going to pretend harassment, libel, and defamation laws don’t exist? Go on twitter and make a threat directly to a Congressman, Senator, or the President. I’m pretty sure police will be showing up to your door.

I’m a gun owner, but let’s not act like you aren’t totally against any kind of legislation, even something like making NIC digital, which the majority of Americans agree with. The same people making arguments against the other ailments of our society are the same fighting tooth and nail against sensible gun regulation, and trying to throw it at Democrats taking your guns is disingenuous and you know it.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
the one absolutely inviolate right in America is the ability to own guns to shoot minorities

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I guess if the right to free speech was causing death on even close to the same scale as the right to bear arms, we'd probably have to do something about that too. Good thing it isn't.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

aphid_licker posted:

If you know who those people are trap sprung, you are old as gently caress

I remember watching the news about the clubbing on live TV :corsair:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Fister Roboto posted:

I guess if the right to free speech was causing death on even close to the same scale as the right to bear arms, we'd probably have to do something about that too. Good thing it isn't.

This machine shitpost kills fascists.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

the one absolutely inviolate right in America is the ability to own guns to shoot minorities

Unless the owners are also minorities! :eng101:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Fister Roboto posted:

Bad posting will be the death of us all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Fister Roboto posted:

Oh I think if you look at it a certain way free speech certainly gets a lot of people killed.
Just wish it was the people inciting violence and hate and not their victims .

• Locked thread