Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

BiggerBoat posted:

It seems like to me that you have to gently caress with games forever and you're gonna spend a day or a week just getting the mother fucker to run at all, let alone be any fun, which always seems like there's a hundred user mods you have to download to make the damned thing enjoyable or playable at all and half of them conflict with some other poo poo you had to update just to get it up and running and winds up loving up the frame rate or textures or some poo poo.

*waits for a patch that will need a patch to fix some other poo poo that the patch hosed up which will soon be patched and will require re-patching when we 'upgrade' our OS*

It's a fair minority of games that are ever widespread completely broken. Mods are there to make bad games good/tolerable or good games better. Framerate issues are more common on console a lot of the time than the reverse and you can't fix it there, unless you wanna buy the full price new version of your console and sometimes that's not even enough. Waiting for patches is even worse on a console too because there you're straight hosed with no answer, sometimes patches just don't actually happen either, meanwhile PC version's been smooth sailing forever because some crazy person already programmed their own hotfix a year ago that you just dump in the game folder.

Yardbomb has a new favorite as of 20:58 on May 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Dragon's Dogma: Climbing around on giant monsters to shank their weak points is mostly great, except the camera goes horrible. Half the time you end up unable to see where you are or what way you're facing because there's a giant dragon butt in the way, and I think I'm heading towards its heart but actually crawling pointlessly round its leg or something.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Qwertycoatl posted:

Dragon's Dogma: Climbing around on giant monsters to shank their weak points is mostly great, except the camera goes horrible. Half the time you end up unable to see where you are or what way you're facing because there's a giant dragon butt in the way, and I think I'm heading towards its heart but actually crawling pointlessly round its leg or something.

Same but my sex life

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

oldpainless posted:

Hey pal in case you haven’t noticed your immediate surroundings you’re actually in line at a McDonald’s drive through and should be prepared to give your order posthaste

I knew that was coming.

and I specifically said "NO CHEESE", mother fucker.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
There was a very brief span of time where you could safely buy a PC game knowing it would run well on your machine from the get-go, until 2015/2016 or so. Now we're back to "Wait a week until everyone discovers all the bugs".

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Samuringa posted:

There was a very brief span of time where you could safely buy a PC game knowing it would run well on your machine from the get-go, until 2015/2016 or so. Now we're back to "Wait a week until everyone discovers all the bugs".

What? I thought that was console games up until the consoles were expected to always be online and so they could patch'em.

e: oh, missed the 'brief span of time' part

Spinning Robo
Apr 17, 2007
The cover system in the uncharted 1 remaster is very sticky and bad and half the time enemies just shoot you anyway or two tap you when you try to desperately move up to another piece of cover

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Spinning Robo posted:

The cover system in the uncharted 1 remaster is very sticky and bad and half the time enemies just shoot you anyway or two tap you when you try to desperately move up to another piece of cover

You’ll probably hear this a million times but 👏don’t👏stick👏to👏cover👏in👏Uncharted👏1👏!

Rush people, shoot them, punch them, take their double ammo guns that they drop from melee kills. Your fragility when in cover is misleading, you can be a lot more effective when you rush right up to enemies while hip firing.

Any other Uncharted game? Do whatever you want, you’ll be fine. But the first one absolutely is balanced around and more fun when you act like an aggressive dumbass.

I’d say it’s more than fair to say it drags the game down though, it’s really poorly explained and hard to get used to, but it’s at least something you can work around to get more fun out of the game. :)

Spinning Robo
Apr 17, 2007
I have an extremely hard time believing that works on anything above normal. I was trying the game on crushing and enemies could routinely down you before the vault animation even finishes half the time.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Well sure, but Crushing sucks anyway. There’s a lot of factors in UC1 like enemy accuracy and behavior though that become more manageable when you’re mobile, it really isn’t designed for you to stick to cover (and will deliberately flank you and screw you over if you try).

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Also Uncharted 1 was just a mediocre game all around and it's astounding how much better 2 was in literally every way.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Len posted:

Also Uncharted 1 was just a mediocre game all around and it's astounding how much better 2 was in literally every way.

This. Quit it the moment it starts to grate on you and Youtube the ending, then skip to 2.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I've been enjoying shadow warrior 2's loop of leveling up, getting more powerful and then raising the difficulty once it's becoming too easy, since higher difficulties give more exp and better gems (it's designed around you raising the difficulty on your own once you're powerful enough). It's one of the only things the game has going for it since the story is completely incoherent nonsense and the gem system is boring menu busywork.

Except I just got to insanity 2 to find that in addition to all the usual stat increases the enemies get, they now move at loving double speed and constantly damage you just for existing near them even after you've invested a boatload of points into becoming immune to elemental auras. The speed poo poo is plainly ridiculous and turns every enemy into a cartoon character, clearing football fields to get to you at comical speed, flipping around constantly so they're impossible to shoot with most weapons, and attacking at absurd rates that you really can't consistently dodge. It pretty much ruins the gameplay and the main reason to actually stick with the game, since eventually you've outleveled insanity 1 but insanity 2 turns every enemy into the Flash.

Also, by this point nearly every enemy is immune to two elements minimum, and you can only observe one of their immunities visually, so you have to hover the crosshair over their spastically-twitching bodies and squint at the effects listed under their health to even know what weapons will work on them. For every single enemy. With 8+ in a group all bouncing around at super speed and knocking you around simultaneously.

I really don't know how "we can just make all the enemies move twice as fast and this won't destroy the way we designed the entirety of the gameplay at all" was a thing someone actually believed.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
PC gaming is perfectly fine most of the time these days as long as you're not buying the shovelware crap. The big problems you hear about are usually edge-cases or hit or miss types of affairs where specific configs poo poo the bed or specific ways of playing trigger rare bugs. I don't blame someone for not wanting to risk it, but the most common user experience is at most minor errors while reading about other people's game breaking bugs when they happen. There are exceptions but if you wait a couple days you hear about them before you buy.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's very bad.

Maybe I'm undermining the sanctity of the game by saying this, but I was honestly hoping that they might have expanded on some of the stuff that was clearly cut or unfinished in the second half of the game, or at least changed things up a bit and made certain bosses more interesting and less exploitable, for example.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

khwarezm posted:

Maybe I'm undermining the sanctity of the game by saying this, but I was honestly hoping that they might have expanded on some of the stuff that was clearly cut or unfinished in the second half of the game, or at least changed things up a bit and made certain bosses more interesting and less exploitable, for example.

They could've, but that would've required more work and time, and would not have been called a remaster at that point.

Plus there'd be a portion of the audience who would tell at them for changing the core DS experience.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

It also wasn't done by From.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

khwarezm posted:

Same. Dark Souls 1 is one of my all-time favorite games, but it's famously rushed near the end. It would have been nice to polish some unfinished bits like Ceaseless Discharge or the Centipede Demon.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Morpheus posted:

They could've, but that would've required more work and time, and would not have been called a remaster at that point.

Plus there'd be a portion of the audience who would tell at them for changing the core DS experience.

I'm fully aware of the latter, but maybe it could have just been optional and I would like to think that developers wouldn't be completely beholden to what dorks on the internet say, especially with something like Dark Souls where you can see a lot the string and bubblegum holding it together by the end, it just interests me what they might have been able to add to the game with a bit more time and the remaster seemed like the best opportunity to showcase some of that. Frankly considering the amount of hype that seemed to surround it, it was really underwhelming, like other people said I'm not going to buy the game again just for better framerate.

I guess I've been a bit spoiled by things like the Crash Bandicoot remaster, and I remember people calling that a remaster even though it was way, way more involved that something like the Dark Souls remaster. I'm not saying they should have completely recreated Dark Souls from the ground up like that Crash Bandicoot game, just... give a little something extra, just a bit.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Dewgy posted:

You’ll probably hear this a million times but 👏don’t👏stick👏to👏cover👏in👏Uncharted👏1👏!

This is true for pretty much any modern third person cover shooter, due to the way they handle the camera and bullet physics it's much better to manually take cover and poke your gun out to kill people than using the cover system that exposes you to danger. IMO We really should go back to the old style of third person camera where it's centred horizontally.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

FactsAreUseless posted:

It would have been nice to polish some unfinished bits like Ceaseless Discharge or the Centipede Demon.

Ceaseless is intentional though, they have an animation for the 'cheese' strat and everything.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
The cheese strat isn't fun though. Plus it's temperamental, I've died a couple times to it and other times I've had ceaseless just refuse to come forward and he just stands there spamming his attacks. The normal fight could stand to be better because the hitboxes are really screwy (because there's fire around the arms) and the attack triggers can be finicky. I killed him normally the first time I played through but in subsequent runs it didn't work for some reason and I couldn't be bothered to keep trying to get the positioning and timings to bait and run from his dumb attacks right so I have just cheesed him ever since.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Why does God of War 4 have an armor upgrade system this terrible, much less at all?

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Barudak posted:

Why does God of War 4 have an armor upgrade system this terrible, much less at all?

Armour upgrade systems are almost always terrible.

I like the way the South Park games handle it: you can wear whatever you want, and then stick on the buffs you want to use. City of Heroes/Villains and Fable 2 and 3 had similar approaches.

Most games have "this is objectively the best gear for [fighting/magic/stealth] play style", and typically one of those play styles is objectively the strongest which makes the whole armour/weapon system pointless.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Quote-Unquote posted:

I like the way the South Park games handle it: you can wear whatever you want, and then stick on the buffs you want to use. City of Heroes/Villains and Fable 2 and 3 had similar approaches.

Most games have "this is objectively the best gear for [fighting/magic/stealth] play style", and typically one of those play styles is objectively the strongest which makes the whole armour/weapon system pointless.

The South Park games have fantastic systems for that, because you can do anything from a challenge run to “break the game by applying 20 stacks of bleed across all enemies in a turn” depending on how min-maxy you want to be.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Quote-Unquote posted:

The Secret World, too.

I hate crafting systems in general. I think they have their place, namely survival games, but I hate how omnipresent they've become in games, especially RPGs.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Futuresight posted:

The cheese strat isn't fun though. Plus it's temperamental, I've died a couple times to it and other times I've had ceaseless just refuse to come forward and he just stands there spamming his attacks. The normal fight could stand to be better because the hitboxes are really screwy (because there's fire around the arms) and the attack triggers can be finicky. I killed him normally the first time I played through but in subsequent runs it didn't work for some reason and I couldn't be bothered to keep trying to get the positioning and timings to bait and run from his dumb attacks right so I have just cheesed him ever since.
I've heard someone point out recently that Ceaseless only does the jump after which you can hit him off the cliff for an instant kill after he pulls out his fire arm from his chest. He does that 100% guaranteed when you first activate him by taking the armor set, but if you die to some bullshit in that attempt, then he stays aggro'd but keeps the arm in until...some nebulous trigger causes him to pull it out again. That's the temperamental part.

Beating him normally is super tedious and annoying. You can barely see what he does, just have to get the roll timing right for one of his at max three attacks, if you fail it you might die because he hit you for higher damage during the roll. Brilliant boss, A++ would cheese forever.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Barudak posted:

Because it's a mass of popular game trends wearing the name of an old franchise that happened to hit exactly right with the "learning to be a dad" plot to snag all the Gen X/Millennial new dads and entice the "gaming's grown up, see! see!" crowd.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Brother Entropy posted:

so arpgs got better at tailoring to people who liked arpgs

Probably safer to say they tailored to people who obsessively played arpgs. Which, depending on who you are, could be good or bad.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I played a mod for Medieval 2 Total War that makes it Zelda based. There is a LOT of work in this game, its amazing. Which hurts me to say that... man, its heroes aspect is pretty bad. Each faction gets 4 heroes, and these heroes can be utterly broken in 2 ways:

1: Way overpowered. Like you can just auto battle through every single nearby rebel settlement, you don't even have to wait to build siege equipment cause they count as siege equipment. And even beyond that, they're one man armies. I fought a Twili hero with a full set of troops and my own heroes and this thing just wouldn't.die. I used siege equipment on him, I used arrows, then I just charged the entire army at him and hit fast forward and he just murdered the entire army. Why even bother with armies when heroes are this powerful?

2: They have a huge upkeep cost. Which of course doesn't matter for the AI. But the player? You go bankrupt in 3 turns cause they rack up a nearly 3k budget while you're struggling to pull in 1k from your single city. In fact, if it wasn't for the fact heroes are so OP and can just capture everything with an auto resolve it would be downright impossible to actually play.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Can I say a games thread is dragging the thing down for me? I clicked over to the Destiny 2 thread while I waited for it to download the 52 of 48 gigs it told me it needed and it's first post is just written in the most abrasive "THIS GAME IS COOL" speak ever.

It's just poo poo like this:

quote:

So, you bought Destiny 2 for the PC you say? Want to shoot mans you say? Want to hear Asher Mir talk about how he lost his poor arm? Freaking Asher, who loses an arm anyway like how dumb can you be?

quote:

Now, you have to play the game. In the first section, you’ll go through the riveting last city where your game slows down to a crawl and you walk like a gimp. I guess your character escaped from Sunny Hills, a place where your 85 year old friends all get together to crush Euchre and bang pots and bedpans together. You’ll listen to some sick tunes. You’ll have to cross a log that I guarantee you’ll die on at least once. This sounds bad, but it’s actually great because your adrenaline will be rushing and basically, that makes anything good. Science.

and I instantly lost all interest in even trying to play with goons.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Len posted:

Can I say a games thread is dragging the thing down for me? I clicked over to the Destiny 2 thread while I waited for it to download the 52 of 48 gigs it told me it needed and it's first post is just written in the most abrasive "THIS GAME IS COOL" speak ever.

It is a bad game

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Len posted:

Yeah I did exactly this. I'm getting my humble monthly money's worth out of the game but loving hell that OP reads like JeffK's teen son's first reddit post

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Calaveron posted:

It is a bad game

I have friends that supposedly play it "all the time"* and it was in the humble monthly. So for $10 I got it plus what 6 other games? I guarantee I've paid more for shittier games.

*I doubt I will ever see them log into the game. I know these people and they're all the worst.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Mass effect andromeda. It’s old-ish but this is a huge big spoiler. I thought you would able to go to meridian and explore the world and poo poo but NO. All you can do is walk around the reused model of the habitation area of the nexus, just with locked doors! What the gently caress!!! I am beyond pissed.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Len posted:

When I tried to get into destiny 2, I thought I’d try to play with goons. With vermintide, this amounts to clicking our goonintide discord link, saying “hey let’s play [difficulty]” in our game channel and then hopping in a voice channel. For destiny 2, they had three different discords they said you should join minimum (on top of needing to get into one of the ~13 or so ingame clans they had, which admittedly was not their fault due to the game’s crappy clan size cap). The only one of the discords I bothered to join literally made you prove you had a something awful account through a bot by pasting stuff in your SA profile, and it had over 50 horribly-organized text channels with vague purposes for god knows why. I had to actively hunt for the right place to just say “let’s play this thing in the video game.” That was one out of three of the discords I was expected to join.

I never ended up playing with goons before realizing the game wasn’t worth the time. It looked like an elaborate parody but it wasn’t.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

Thin Privilege posted:

Mass effect andromeda. It’s old-ish but this is a huge big spoiler. I thought you would able to go to meridian and explore the world and poo poo but NO. All you can do is walk around the reused model of the habitation area of the nexus, just with locked doors! What the gently caress!!! I am beyond pissed.

Seemed like something that was going to be opened up via dlc but...welp.

I started the game after the news had already broken that they wouldn't be continuing the series and poo poo, that was what dragged it down for me. All those choices you're making in this series famed for long term consequences? Yeah haha none of that poo poo is going to matter lol sorry.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Digirat posted:

When I tried to get into destiny 2, I thought I’d try to play with goons. With vermintide, this amounts to clicking our goonintide discord link, saying “hey let’s play [difficulty]” in our game channel and then hopping in a voice channel. For destiny 2, they had three different discords they said you should join minimum (on top of needing to get into one of the ~13 or so ingame clans they had, which admittedly was not their fault due to the game’s crappy clan size cap). The only one of the discords I bothered to join literally made you prove you had a something awful account through a bot by pasting stuff in your SA profile, and it had over 50 horribly-organized text channels with vague purposes for god knows why. I had to actively hunt for the right place to just say “let’s play this thing in the video game.” That was one out of three of the discords I was expected to join.

I never ended up playing with goons before realizing the game wasn’t worth the time. It looked like an elaborate parody but it wasn’t.

Yeah that's still step one in the thread. Join at least one discord or 12. Why? Why can't it just be click and go like the Monster Hunter one?

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Len posted:

People who say “shoot mans” should be cast out into the woods, banished from human society forever on pain of death

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Len posted:

Yeah that's still step one in the thread. Join at least one discord or 12. Why? Why can't it just be click and go like the Monster Hunter one?

Almost all of that was made in the hype before the game released and people thought it was going to be good and were desperate to enjoy it. I think there's only like one dedicated destiny discord, all the others share double duty with other games like vermintide and marvel mobile games. As lame as the OP is, that attitude has not persisted in the wake of the game being bad.

EDIT: Also there's multiple discords because people just kept making more for some reason. Then they'd make another one to consolidate all of the discords together. Then someone would make one to consolidate them all, plus that one. Most of it stems from the fact that destiny clans cap at 100 people and when the game first launched we had like four or five full clans and you were rewarded for playing with your clan, not with randoms.