Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
What's wrong with this thread???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I love this thread and all my posting friends.

simble
May 11, 2004

lol if you aren’t doing your own exhaustive post race analysis and stat tracking

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I don't even have a spreadsheet this year

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Wirth1000 posted:

What's wrong with this thread???

Ferrari mainly, the existence of and fans of

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Here's my exhaustive post-race analysis:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Schlesische posted:

Absolutely go gently caress yourself.

The Frenchman vs the Terrible Hair

Gap to leader

Lap time in seconds

Lewis is lapping significantly faster in the initial phase of the race, pits for fresher tires, and remains significantly faster. Ocon pits, Lewis starts to try and "manage" his tires (whines about them on radio) and Ocon bridges the gap a little in clean air. Lewis tries to attack Vettel for a couple laps as Vettel makes another 4 lap attack on Ricciardo, quickly backs off to bitch about his tires some more, Ocon continues to enjoy mostly clean running. The only reason it tightened up in the end is because Mercedes still don't get the tires and Lewis was trying to do like 69 (niiiiiiiice) laps on Ultrasofts, something Pirelli designed the Supersofts to do.

At no point in that early phase was holding up Hamilton going to be remotely in Ocon's advantage. You can call out the fact Toto Wolff had a conversation with Szafnauer or "Messeur or Madame Whogivesashit" as much as you want, until there's evidence otherwise you're just parroting the dumb talking points Sky used to try and liven up a dull point in a tense if unspectacular race.

Here are the laptimes and gap-to-leader times that Lance Stroll had.

Gap to leader

Lap time, in seconds

I've thrown in Max, because he was the actual fastest driver on the course and Sergei Sirotkin because he's the closest "I'm not getting blues here" driver to Lance Stroll (although I don't think Stroll was actively lapped by that many drivers, I think he mostly got lapped during his trips to the pits).
Stroll got a heap of time for a couple of laps because he was on Hypersofts and had an overabundance of clean air; He didn't, at any stage, get 40 loving laps worth of 5-7 seconds a lap advantage in one pit stop (he had to pit 3 times, the latter two for fresh Hypers). In both of his "enforced" pitstops (he punctured his Supers in lap 34 and had to go to fresh Hypers, which meant he had to pit in lap 59 for another pair of Hypers) the same thing happens - he warms the tires, gets a 3-4 lap burst of 4 seconds that degrades to the plateau in 4 laps and then chugs along until the end of the stint.
I know what you're saying though: "Lance is a binman (two punctures? come on buddy) driving a shitbox (temperature warnings all race? come on Williams), show me a real driver!", and don't worry, we'll get to that.

The one-stop strategy dominates at like 90% of the tracks this season and it's largely because the total gain is negligible compared to losing track position and potentially ruining a new set of tires; track position is King in Modern F1 and it's not just a Monaco thing. That's partly because Mercedes (and presumably Ferrari, to a point) have purpose built their car to work significantly better in clean air, to the extreme detriment of it's aerodynamic package's ability to follow and overtake, partly because the engines don't like the heat given off by the exhaust of a car in front and partly because the tires have ridiculously specific temperature windows because Pirelli have overengineered this and hosed it all.
None of the above is likely to change.

Here's Max and the Train.

Gap to leader

Lap time in seconds
Red dot = overtake while they were pitting, Blue dot = overtake on track

Long story short, Max was never close enough to go for big time overtakes on other drivers other than Hulkenburg - who had a bit of pace himself - and Sainz, who had a garbageman day. His Hypers lasted a lot longer than I think anyone would've predicted, but even then we're talking maybe 30 seconds of total advantage on the dominant chassis which was already noted pre-race to be treating it's tires supremely well, which ground to a halt behind Hulkenburg and required imaginative use of track widths to get past sainz. By the time Max catches the Finntrain it's so big that he's got no chance of getting through it at Monaco, but his laptimes have already started completely disintegrating.

Let's go into the Hypothetical, Seb switches to the Hypers and gets Max's 12 laps of burst. If he comes in in lap 64, to maximise his burst (2 laps of warm up, 12 laps of balls to the wall) he comes out of the pits behind the finntrain and has to get through 6 drivers, including two Mercedes, to get back to a position to attack Ricciardo. Lets uhh... let's scrap that.
Let's say lap 54 then - there's a 28 second gap back to Ocon, let's say Vettel puts in a Superman-esque in-lap and comes out 2 seconds in front of Ocon. He still has to get by his main championship rival's teammate, his main championship rival and then hope there's enough left in the tires, the battery and the fuel tank to get him by Ricciardo, whose performance in Austria last year leaves no doubt that he's handy driving defensively.
Let's take this away from Monaco, even at Silverstone I don't see him making that stick. And it's not because Monaco is a procession, it's because the tires aren't 4-5s a lap for 10 laps quicker, they're 4s a lap quicker for 1 lap, then degrading so that by lap 10 you're maybe 1/2 a second quicker, maybe. New tires might get you 25-30 seconds, but they're gonna cost you at least 25 seconds and if something goes wrong you're hosed. By driving so slowly, Dan actually (probably inadvertently) took the extra stop off the table because it meant Seb didn't have a window to fall back into and ultimately that works on any circuit where you have the absolute dominance in the bendy bits the way Dan had.

Forgot to say, the reason pitting for Hypers at 54 was a huge gamble had to do with the fact that you're pushing them past the 20 lap recommended run time; sure there's less fuel and more rubber on track, but in theory you're still gambling on either getting a huge gap or a safety car to bring it into the genuinely safe zone. Hulkenburg and Verstappen disproved this, but if you're Ferrari you'd have to be seriously wondering if it's worth it.

Did you get any of that, or are you a big dumb baby?

All graphs pulled from here.

Nice meltdown, I didn’t read any of this post

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
*In Sebastian Vettel voice, ie an extremely cool one* Honestly, that post is some reddit tier poo poo. Blue flag, blue flag.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Wirth1000 posted:

Oh. Sorry.
______/

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Watched a bit of the race on F1 TV ProTM and, yeah, I'm not big on races decided by pit strategy, but the pictures were neat.

btw, Crofty is a oval office who needs to keep quiet. I want to hear the drivers (people more important than you (yes, even Lance)) are talking.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

Minto Took posted:

Watched a bit of the race on F1 TV ProTM and, yeah, I'm not big on races decided by pit strategy, but the pictures were neat.

btw, Crofty is a oval office who needs to keep quiet. I want to hear the drivers (people more important than you (yes, even Lance)) are talking.

Have they ironed out the kinks in that service yet or was it still a poo poo show like people were complaining about during the launch @ the Spanish GP?

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I watched it on replay. I was at IMS on Sunday and you can't even watch through a mobile browser (Liberty won't let you).

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

They're bigging up Monaco 1996 on the F1 TV thing, is it worth a watch?

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Yes.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Ferrari mainly, the existence of and fans of

Get the gently caress out of this thread

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

track day bro! posted:

*In Sebastian Vettel voice, ie an extremely cool one* Honestly, that post is some reddit tier poo poo. Blue flag, blue flag.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That post is informative but without shitposting is a drag to read. Honestly what are we doing here?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Is that the one that Oliver Penis won?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Schlesische posted:

Absolutely go gently caress yourself.

The Frenchman vs the Terrible Hair

Gap to leader

Lap time in seconds

Lewis is lapping significantly faster in the initial phase of the race, pits for fresher tires, and remains significantly faster. Ocon pits, Lewis starts to try and "manage" his tires (whines about them on radio) and Ocon bridges the gap a little in clean air. Lewis tries to attack Vettel for a couple laps as Vettel makes another 4 lap attack on Ricciardo, quickly backs off to bitch about his tires some more, Ocon continues to enjoy mostly clean running. The only reason it tightened up in the end is because Mercedes still don't get the tires and Lewis was trying to do like 69 (niiiiiiiice) laps on Ultrasofts, something Pirelli designed the Supersofts to do.

At no point in that early phase was holding up Hamilton going to be remotely in Ocon's advantage. You can call out the fact Toto Wolff had a conversation with Szafnauer or "Messeur or Madame Whogivesashit" as much as you want, until there's evidence otherwise you're just parroting the dumb talking points Sky used to try and liven up a dull point in a tense if unspectacular race.

Here are the laptimes and gap-to-leader times that Lance Stroll had.

Gap to leader

Lap time, in seconds

I've thrown in Max, because he was the actual fastest driver on the course and Sergei Sirotkin because he's the closest "I'm not getting blues here" driver to Lance Stroll (although I don't think Stroll was actively lapped by that many drivers, I think he mostly got lapped during his trips to the pits).
Stroll got a heap of time for a couple of laps because he was on Hypersofts and had an overabundance of clean air; He didn't, at any stage, get 40 loving laps worth of 5-7 seconds a lap advantage in one pit stop (he had to pit 3 times, the latter two for fresh Hypers). In both of his "enforced" pitstops (he punctured his Supers in lap 34 and had to go to fresh Hypers, which meant he had to pit in lap 59 for another pair of Hypers) the same thing happens - he warms the tires, gets a 3-4 lap burst of 4 seconds that degrades to the plateau in 4 laps and then chugs along until the end of the stint.
I know what you're saying though: "Lance is a binman (two punctures? come on buddy) driving a shitbox (temperature warnings all race? come on Williams), show me a real driver!", and don't worry, we'll get to that.

The one-stop strategy dominates at like 90% of the tracks this season and it's largely because the total gain is negligible compared to losing track position and potentially ruining a new set of tires; track position is King in Modern F1 and it's not just a Monaco thing. That's partly because Mercedes (and presumably Ferrari, to a point) have purpose built their car to work significantly better in clean air, to the extreme detriment of it's aerodynamic package's ability to follow and overtake, partly because the engines don't like the heat given off by the exhaust of a car in front and partly because the tires have ridiculously specific temperature windows because Pirelli have overengineered this and hosed it all.
None of the above is likely to change.

Here's Max and the Train.

Gap to leader

Lap time in seconds
Red dot = overtake while they were pitting, Blue dot = overtake on track

Long story short, Max was never close enough to go for big time overtakes on other drivers other than Hulkenburg - who had a bit of pace himself - and Sainz, who had a garbageman day. His Hypers lasted a lot longer than I think anyone would've predicted, but even then we're talking maybe 30 seconds of total advantage on the dominant chassis which was already noted pre-race to be treating it's tires supremely well, which ground to a halt behind Hulkenburg and required imaginative use of track widths to get past sainz. By the time Max catches the Finntrain it's so big that he's got no chance of getting through it at Monaco, but his laptimes have already started completely disintegrating.

Let's go into the Hypothetical, Seb switches to the Hypers and gets Max's 12 laps of burst. If he comes in in lap 64, to maximise his burst (2 laps of warm up, 12 laps of balls to the wall) he comes out of the pits behind the finntrain and has to get through 6 drivers, including two Mercedes, to get back to a position to attack Ricciardo. Lets uhh... let's scrap that.
Let's say lap 54 then - there's a 28 second gap back to Ocon, let's say Vettel puts in a Superman-esque in-lap and comes out 2 seconds in front of Ocon. He still has to get by his main championship rival's teammate, his main championship rival and then hope there's enough left in the tires, the battery and the fuel tank to get him by Ricciardo, whose performance in Austria last year leaves no doubt that he's handy driving defensively.
Let's take this away from Monaco, even at Silverstone I don't see him making that stick. And it's not because Monaco is a procession, it's because the tires aren't 4-5s a lap for 10 laps quicker, they're 4s a lap quicker for 1 lap, then degrading so that by lap 10 you're maybe 1/2 a second quicker, maybe. New tires might get you 25-30 seconds, but they're gonna cost you at least 25 seconds and if something goes wrong you're hosed. By driving so slowly, Dan actually (probably inadvertently) took the extra stop off the table because it meant Seb didn't have a window to fall back into and ultimately that works on any circuit where you have the absolute dominance in the bendy bits the way Dan had.

Forgot to say, the reason pitting for Hypers at 54 was a huge gamble had to do with the fact that you're pushing them past the 20 lap recommended run time; sure there's less fuel and more rubber on track, but in theory you're still gambling on either getting a huge gap or a safety car to bring it into the genuinely safe zone. Hulkenburg and Verstappen disproved this, but if you're Ferrari you'd have to be seriously wondering if it's worth it.

Did you get any of that, or are you a big dumb baby?

All graphs pulled from here.

loving lmao your own timing suggests ocon would have beaten lewis had lewis spent ANY time behind ocon

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Khablam posted:

loving lmao your own timing suggests ocon would have beaten lewis had lewis spent ANY time behind ocon

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Good rebuttal with lots of factual analysis demonstrating your thesis. A+

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

1500quidporsche posted:

Good rebuttal with lots of factual analysis demonstrating your thesis. A+

My rebuttal is
"car behind car better than car in front of car, car behind lose"

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I dont understand

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

DoctorGonzo posted:

I dont understand

:same:

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
The early '96 Ligier has odd livery, probably from TWR/Diniz influence.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

I do not remember the '96 Jordan mid-wing.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsM-OyRJTQc

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
That was Brabham's last good race.

BubbaGrace
Jul 14, 2006

Wirth1000 posted:

I would if you had any to call out Alonso instead of blindly fawning over him

I'm not the guy you are referring to but I feel your sentiment here. I wasn't a fan of his for a long time. When he came back to McLaren I started to warm on him rather quickly. The day we seen him trying to push his car in to the pits so he could get one more run really sold me on the guy. Fast forward until about 6 months ago. Around the time Kimoa dot com started to be a thing he started to wear on me again. His complaining has went from funny to just bitter. He also still maintains that aura of I'm a super rich dude out of touch with the real world and think I am the greatest thing ever. Hey check out the museum I built about myself for myself.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
To be fair, I would totally do the musuem thing too if I was as successful as him lol.

Also, holy poo poo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eAhik4EhSk

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if the delorean was the first car why stroll traveled back in time to old monaco? that video doesnt making sense

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Wirth1000 posted:

To be fair, I would totally do the musuem thing too if I was as successful as him lol.

Also, holy poo poo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eAhik4EhSk

One of the most overrated movies of all time.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

1500quidporsche posted:

One of the most overrated movies of all time.

We're not talking about Death Wish.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Wirth1000 posted:

We're not talking about Death Wish.

You mis-read that. I said overrated not underrated.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

1500quidporsche posted:

One of the most overrated movies of all time

for fucks sake, just gas this thread. we reached rock bottom

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

He’s right though.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
BTF owns you morons. Jesus. This is why we need more graphs.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I don't even hate the film, its fine, it just doesn't deserve the stupid amount of praise it gets when its on the same level as Kindergarten Cop or Weekend at Bernie's.

Imagine an alternate reality where everyone loving talked about how good Kindergarten Cop was all the time. Everyone dressed up as John Kimball and owned a ferret. Do you not see how absurd this is?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Back to the Future is one of those very decent films that you watch once and think “pretty good” and then never watch again, because why would you?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

The Kimoa Kid posted:

Back to the Future is one of those very decent films that you watch once and think “pretty good” and then never watch again, because why would you?

Exactly. That is exactly my point. Why the gently caress is it held up as this cultural institution for no loving reason?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
incest